San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 513 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 198Likes

post #15361 of 15379 Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^^ wow fer sure. I can't believe the trouble you're having with the Sutro stations. I guess what they say about location is true.
Mostly I just had occasional pixelation with KPIX at first, which I fixed within a couple months of putting up the original antenna. I've had no trouble with Sutro, or any other reception issues since I switched to the Yagi antenna.

KGO RF 35 repeater was a huge problem, but not one that I could do anything about as it was a transmitter problem.

Lifespeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15362 of 15379 Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
You may have missed the "FEDERAL BUREAU OF PRISONS" who wants to experiment on RF 29 in SACRAMENTO.

Yes, I saw that but I don't know what's going on there. Did you see the latitude and longitude given for the antenna? It would put it near Casablanca, Morocco!

Chuck
post #15363 of 15379 Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
Mostly I just had occasional pixelation with KPIX at first, which I fixed within a couple months of putting up the original antenna. I've had no trouble with Sutro, or any other reception issues since I switched to the Yagi antenna.

KGO RF 35 repeater was a huge problem, but not one that I could do anything about as it was a transmitter problem.
Cool. That's good to hear. I just have one big-assed antenna on my roofline that snags everything from Sutro and San Bruno pretty much trouble-free.

post #15364 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! Count me as one of those who had difficulty with KPIX. My situation is not ideal with a hill one-edging Sutro tower. I found KPIX to be the lone holdout for perfect reception of Sutro channels, causing me to exchange a broad-beam bowtie for a more directional Yagi.

It must be an unlucky location as KPIX, KRON and KTVU use the same antenna and all run 1MW. The difference in their antenna patterns is no more than about 1 dB in any direction. KPIX is the strongest of the three here followed by KRON and KTVU.

Chuck
radiobern likes this.
post #15365 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
It must be an unlucky location as KPIX, KRON and KTVU use the same antenna and all run 1MW. The difference in their antenna patterns is no more than about 1 dB in any direction. KPIX is the strongest of the three here followed by KRON and KTVU.

Chuck
Probably true regarding the location. My guess is the one-edge refraction and multipath from surrounding hills make these undesirable effects frequency-dependent. The highly directional antenna helped a lot, so this seems to agree with my guess. Signal strength was never an issue.

Lifespeed
post #15366 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Probably true regarding the location. My guess is the one-edge refraction and multipath from surrounding hills make these undesirable effects frequency-dependent. The highly directional antenna helped a lot, so this seems to agree with my guess. Signal strength was never an issue.
Maybe the KICU analog translator transmitting on channel 29 from Fremont Peak is interfering with the KPIX signal for south San Jose viewers.
post #15367 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDave View Post
Maybe the KICU analog translator transmitting on channel 29 from Fremont Peak is interfering with the KPIX signal for south San Jose viewers.
Never heard of this, @Larry Kenney doesn't show it on his bay area TV transmitter list. If there is indeed a transmitter there on the same channel it would make sense.

Edit: your antenna looks familiar. What is that behind the corner reflector at the rear?

Lifespeed

Last edited by lifespeed; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.
post #15368 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never heard of this, @Larry Kenney doesn't show it on his bay area TV transmitter list. If there is indeed a transmitter there on the same channel it would make sense.

It's not on his list because it's an analog station.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k29ab.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2197193  
post #15369 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not on his list because it's an analog station.
I thought the switch to digital was mandated by the FCC? Shows how much I know about this. I can't imagine they even have a market, who has analog TV anymore? Makes no sense from any perspective.

Lifespeed
post #15370 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I thought the switch to digital was mandated by the FCC? Shows how much I know about this. I can't imagine they even have a market, who has analog TV anymore? Makes no sense from any perspective.
KICU (KTVU+) asked on air if they should continue their analog signal on Fremont Peak. They got many YES answers I suspect.

In the Salinas market there are several analog stations still on the air directed at viewers that cannot afford a digital TV set or even a converter box with the government paying part when they were offered. The had a short life anyway.

I rode past many locations on my motorcycle trips South from Silicon Valley. It is a totally different world away from units like mine now going for $1M.

The FCC has again extended the point they must go off the air.

SHF
post #15371 of 15379 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
San Jose has a "analog" tv station on channel 6, ..... that you can also hear an any FM radio at 87.7
post #15372 of 15379 Old Today, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think you win most likely explanation why kpix is harder to receive than all the other stations from the same tower here in the South Bay.
post #15373 of 15379 Old Today, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
I thought the switch to digital was mandated by the FCC?
Only full power stations were required to go digital. Low powered translators and the like are still allowed to be analog.

It is still a requirement that all new television sets include analog tuners.
post #15374 of 15379 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The KICU analog repeater is the only analog station in Salinas that doesn't have a local digital equivalent. KMUV analog 23 is carried in HD on KION as VC 23.1. KMCE analog 43 has its own digital transmitter on 46 with the call sign K46LG.

I'm not buying that a low income person cannot get a digital TV. I ended up giving away my 55" Sony. First I tried selling it and I had no takers. Then I tried donating it to charity and they wouldn't take it. I could have taken it to electronic recycling but it was such a nice TV I hated to do that. I ended up giving it to a friend who was cheap and hadn't upgraded his very old big screen TV.

The FCC has bent over backwards to let analog LPTV continue as long as possible. Some analogs may be able to remain on the air until 2021.

Chuck
post #15375 of 15379 Old Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
You may have missed the "FEDERAL BUREAU OF PRISONS" who wants to experiment on RF 29 in SACRAMENTO.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...d237e&goBack=N

Some people have a problem receiving KPIX, are there other locations they are trying "Experimental" stations?

SHF

The application was dismissed.

Chuck
post #15376 of 15379 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not buying that a low income person cannot get a digital TV. I ended up giving away my 55" Sony. First I tried selling it and I had no takers. Then I tried donating it to charity and they wouldn't take it. I could have taken it to electronic recycling but it was such a nice TV I hated to do that. I ended up giving it to a friend who was cheap and hadn't upgraded his very old big screen TV.
I have to agree. When I was young and poor I bought a used television at a low price. I don't see how it is any different today, except the inexpensive used TV is digital. I really doubt those analog signals are received by many people.

Lifespeed
post #15377 of 15379 Old Today, 09:57 AM

Behind the corner reflector

Quote:
Edit: your antenna looks familiar. What is that behind the corner reflector at the rear?
It's a dipole for high VHF. It allows me to get KGO at 83 miles out while receiving local high VHF channels 8 & 13.
post #15378 of 15379 Old Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a dipole for high VHF. It allows me to get KGO at 83 miles out while receiving local high VHF channels 8 & 13.
That's what I thought. Is it an add-on kit (for the 91XG?) or did you put it together yourself? I am surprised it works behind the reflector, although it may be too small to reflect VHF. Manufacturer and or part numbers for the components?

Lifespeed
post #15379 of 15379 Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought. Is it an add-on kit (for the 91XG?) or did you put it together yourself? I am surprised it works behind the reflector, although it may be too small to reflect VHF. Manufacturer and or part numbers for the components?
I just used old antenna elements and wired it in with twinlead. Probably shouldn't work but it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception