San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 515 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes
post #15421 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM01 View Post
When tuning/aiming your antenna for signal strength, do you guys have a "favorite" channel to use to measure your aim to Sutro, Fremont and San Bruno?
Absolutely, ... On your tvfool listing report, use the last Green, yellow, or red station on the location you are tuning. (Example) .. So if you have all yellow and two red stations, for Sutro tower,
you pick the red stations, force tune those without scanning, Tune antenna to those, Then, scan-in the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15422 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks!

Another noobie question... As mentioned earlier, I am getting all of the main networks with my indoor Mohu Leaf 50 antenna... ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC... I had mistakenly assumed that it was only a UHF antenna, but I just realized it's a VHF/UHF antenna...

Am I right in assuming that if I go with a bow-tie style UHF only antenna (without the VHF adapter), that I will effectively lose ABC and NBC? (KGO and KNTV)?
post #15423 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
force tune those without scanning
"Force tuning" .. example tricks using a Digitalstream converter box. "Antenna mode" , etc.

1. Push the . "dot" button (or pound button) on the remote keypad. Up pops RF on the tv screen blue box. Enter RF channel.

For "antenna meter" (After RF entry)

1. Push the (star button) or meter button on the remote.

post #15424 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Am I right in assuming that if I go with a bow-tie style UHF only antenna (without the VHF adapter), that I will effectively lose ABC and NBC? (KGO and KNTV)?
Yes, you want a UHF-VHF antenna. The easy way to tell is UHF antenna elements are generally 1 foot or less. High VHF band antenna elements are around 2-3 feet long.
And low VHF band antennas are 8-9 feet long.

SO ... The muho leaf antenna is a UHF only antenna, using the cheap - unshielded 3 foot coax as a VHF antenna. .... Notice the cable size ? Thats Not shielded RG-6 cable.
Using the cable itself as the antenna ... is a very wimpy design of low quality. It may ... or may not work.. depending on location.
post #15425 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Both of those channels are available on UHF from Fremont repeaters, I receive KGO and KNTV and do not have a VHF antenna. You may still want to put up VHF because KRON is going from RF 38 to RF 7 on Sutro after the repack, but it was also sold to a new owner, so who knows what content it will end up broadcasting.

Lifespeed
post #15426 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When tuning/aiming your antenna for signal strength, do you guys have a "favorite" channel to use to measure your aim to Sutro, Fremont and San Bruno?
Looking at Sutro I would also check KPIX, even though it is a 1MW transmitter. There is a low power analog station on the same channel, RF 29, in Salinas that may be a source of interference. Likely your location is better than mine relative to this and other reception problems.

Edit: if you go with a bowtie you may be able to aim 5 to 10 degrees east of SF to improve Fremont reception with little degradation of Sutro signals thanks to the broad beam. I'm betting (with your money and time, LOL) this would work and free your Tivo from antenna rotors or dual antennae with a switch . It is what I tried first, and came within a gnat's eyelash of 100% dropout-free success. But I am behind a hill with markedly worse reception conditions than you.

Lifespeed

Last edited by lifespeed; Yesterday at 01:40 PM.
post #15427 of 15431 Unread Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Thanks!

Another noobie question... As mentioned earlier, I am getting all of the main networks with my indoor Mohu Leaf 50 antenna... ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC... I had mistakenly assumed that it was only a UHF antenna, but I just realized it's a VHF/UHF antenna...

Nobody can answer this question with any certainty. I don't understand why you're asking it anyway. If you want to receive VHF then you need an antenna designed for VHF. If you want to go UHF only and try compromise pointing then you can try a UHF only antenna. The bowtie antennas are not designed for VHF. Sometimes they work on VHF if the signal is strong enough but a paperclip will also work as an antenna if the signals are strong enough.

After I conducted a few pointing tests in the South Bay I no longer recommend compromise pointing there. Too much multipath. Even if it works for you you'll be dealing with reduced Signal Quality which may come back to bite you.

Once you have your antenna installed and receive all the stations you want you should go back and check the signal Quality of each station. It should be in mid 20's dB or 80's%. You don't want SQs <20dB because that's not enough margin to be reliable in many cases.

Chuck
post #15428 of 15431 Unread Today, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=kkpm
Keith
KB5JVM[/QUOTE]

What ? Why ?
Did .... "North bay tv" .... get replaced with an infomercial channel ? .... 45-8 .. & ..12-8
post #15429 of 15431 Unread Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
After I conducted a few pointing tests in the South Bay I no longer recommend compromise pointing there. Too much multipath. Even if it works for you you'll be dealing with reduced Signal Quality which may come back to bite you.

Once you have your antenna installed and receive all the stations you want you should go back and check the signal Quality of each station. It should be in mid 20's dB or 80's%. You don't want SQs <20dB because that's not enough margin to be reliable in many cases.

Chuck
I agree with all the above. That said, trying compromise pointing is basically a zero-cost experiment (aside from a bit of one's time) with huge benefits in the context of automated DVR recording. If it doesn't work, re-aim and or install a rotor. Or compromise pointing could be implemented with a rotor, and direct aimed if the experiment doesn't yield 80% signal quality.

For context, I get about 80% signal quality from many Sutro stations in my south bay location using the DB4e bowtie aimed 45 degrees west at Mt. Allison. There are a few Sutro and San Bruno stations with signal quality around 70% however, and in the interest of rock-solid reception I added a Yagi aimed at Sutro (already had the DB4e at this point) each with a dedicated tuner. But my signal strength conditions are relatively poor one-edge over a nearby hilltop, with as much as 20dB less noise margin than @MikeekiM01 .

Given the improved signal conditions at his location it is a worthwhile experiment.

Lifespeed
post #15430 of 15431 Unread Today, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Today the FCC granted the Legal STAs filed by KKPX and KEZT-CD saying they can't build a station on Channel 14 and by KSEE on Channel 16 because of interference to land mobile stations. I don't know what comes next. It may be possible to squeeze KEZT in somewhere else in the Sacramento market but I don't see where else KKPX can go in the San Francisco market unless it's low VHF.

Are there other options available to the FCC? Land mobile accepts more interference? Someone has to find another site?

Chuck
post #15431 of 15431 Unread Today, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Today the FCC granted the Legal STAs filed by KKPX and KEZT-CD saying they can't build a station on Channel 14 and by KSEE on Channel 16 because of interference to land mobile stations. I don't know what comes next.
Chuck
They can move to channel 6.
bye bye k-love radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception