San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 528 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #15811 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 71
KCSM-TV deal back up for approval

From HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
Quote:
Without comment here is the story as it appears today 10/11 in the San Mateo Daily Journal:

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/l...db1b06ec5.html

However according to an FCC Filing they have already filed to get the sale approved before the college with a publically elected board of directors holds a public hearing to approve the sale.

Hmmmm…
Roy
FCC approval "Next Spring"?

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15812 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
I can open PDF only with difficulty, on another computer than my Vista Laptop. So I cannot read the KBCW attachment unless I really need to.

I don't understand why you can't download Acrobat Reader to read PDFs. That should run under most versions of windows.

Chuck
post #15813 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KGO also filed today to increase power from 23.8KW to 47KW but they're going from an omni antenna to a directional antenna. ERP would actually be reduced towards the South Bay and increased for east through north. Nice 3 dB increase for me but a 1.5 dB decrease for the South Bay.

Chuck

post #15814 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I don't understand why you can't download Acrobat Reader to read PDFs. That should run under most versions of windows.

Chuck
If you have already downloaded Acrobat Reader under Vista it may work, but Adobe does not offer a version for Vista to be downloaded.

There is one site that might have it available but...

------------------------------------------
Earthlink, Microsoft, Google, ... have reduced my known spam to 5-6 E-Mail per week by working together.

The computers that have been taken over is a huge number so the only way to reduce it is to stop dumb people allowing it.

That can only be done by stopping old OS and old programs being used.

So, I am being punished by the actions of others. Forced to use an OS that changed almost everything I do and know how to do. Stopping automatic updates, good luck!

If my W7 laptop can be fixed I can pop my solid state drive back in and be back where I was a month ago. I put the failing drive back in after testing and erasing my data. (Which I expected Sony to do and return the drive with the original factory software.) The W7 laptop turned off and just would not turn on.

It is unlikely that I will allow my Vista laptop to be taken over, but I will recognize it and reload the OS drive with the last good contents.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 10-11-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #15815 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
If you have already downloaded Acrobat Reader under Vista it may work, but Adobe does not offer a version for Vista to be downloaded.

There is one site that might have it available but...

Earthlink, Microsoft, Google, ... have reduced my known spam to 5-6 E-Mail per week by working together.

The computers that have been taken over is a huge number so the only way to reduce it is to stop dumb people allowing it.

That can only be done by stopping old OS and old programs being used.

So, I am being punished by the actions of others. Forced to use an OS that changed almost everything I do and know how to do. Stopping automatic updates, good luck!

If my W7 laptop can be fixed I can pop my solid state drive back in and be back where I was a month ago. I put the failing drive drive back in after testing and erasing my data. (Which I expected Sony to do and return the drive with the original factory software.) The W7 laptop turned off and just would not turn on.

It is unlikely that I will allow my Vista laptop to be taken over, but I will recognize it and reload the OS drive with the last good contents.

SHF
If you use the Chrome or Firefox browser, just drag and drop the pdf file into the browser window.

Link
post #15816 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs down 14-20 470-512Mhz is a no go zone in the areas its aurothrzed!

Quote:

RF 14 should be used as a guard band between Land Mobile and DTV IMHO.

SHF

Channels 14-20 470-512Mhz aka "T Band" were used in certain areas to alleviate LMR spectrum issues... I am faced with a system which only recently built a new system in this area, and considering all the issues with agencies just getting new radios on to this setup versus their old... This system was planned, built and put in to operation way before this BS auction mess started.

This is a NIGHTMARE that had no reason to be created!

No moving these to 850MHz trunked is not an option, terrain for one, but the issue is $$$$$$$$$$$$. Scrapping radios from UHF-T to 850MHz is not going over well!

Those channels in the areas which they were assigned should be protected, and the TV people can find a way to work around it in their areas!
post #15817 of 15830 Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp95129 View Post
If you use the Chrome or Firefox browser, just drag and drop the pdf file into the browser window.

Link
No good, that pops up a box to BUY Acrobat 8. I never purchased it. As Reader is not installed like on your computer no joy.

My W7 Laptop had Acrobat paid for already.

SHF
post #15818 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if Keith is okay? The best I can tell his home is in or very close to the part of Santa Rosa that burned in the Tubbs fire.

KFTY on Mt. St.Helena is off the air but KEMO is still on the air. Has the Mt. St. Helena summit burned? With KFTY off the air I thought I'd be able to see KQRO in the South Bay but nothing on the analyzer. It must be off too.

Chuck
post #15819 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if Keith is okay? The best I can tell his home is in or very close to the part of Santa Rosa that burned in the Tubbs fire.

KFTY on Mt. St.Helena is off the air but KEMO is still on the air. Has the Mt. St. Helena summit burned? With KFTY off the air I thought I'd be able to see KQRO in the South Bay but nothing on the analyzer. It must be off too.

Chuck
Power has been turned off in many areas, I think that ~ 6AM KTVU had a report that St. Helena is next today to burn but has not yet.

Checking

http://www.calfire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

Mt. ST. Helena is unburned but a South wind may change that.in a few days as they are hoped for, resources may be able to stop the fire in that direction but other problems have higher priority
Robert Louis Stevenson / Mt St. Helena State Park. on the map.

SHF
post #15820 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 487
Quote:

Chuck
I see that as well. I hope he is safe...

Bobby 

post #15821 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Chuck
I saw post from Keith this morning on Facebook saying that his family is safe, and, so far, his home is still okay. He made no mention of anything about his TV stations.

KTVJ is on the air but is not transmitting any PSIP or programming information. I'm receiving a 23 dB signal but the TV reports "No signal".

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15822 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I saw post from Keith this morning on Facebook saying that his family is safe, and, so far, his home is still okay. He made no mention of anything about his TV stations.

KTVJ is on the air but is not transmitting any PSIP or programming information. I'm receiving a 23 dB signal but the TV reports "No signal".

Larry
These maps have a lot of detail with various overlays. Check the dropdowns for what you want to see.

http://sonomamap.maps.arcgis.com/app...f6d4f8daf7b13f

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/10/09...noma-counties/

They can take a minute or two to load, heavily accessed right now.
post #15823 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apparently smoke affects VHF TV signals. Both VHF stations, KVIE RF 9 and KXTV 10, out of Walnut Grove have been much weaker than usual the past few days, while KQCA 58 RF 46 has been coming in at normal levels.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
post #15824 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
Santa Rosa area evac zones,

https://www.srcity.org/610/Emergency-Information

The air is absolutely awful, the smell of smoke is non-stop, it's everywhere, you smell it, you taste it, you can't get away from it, even at times while you're indoors.
post #15825 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 487
Quote:
Apparently smoke affects VHF TV signals. Both VHF stations, KVIE RF 9 and KXTV 10, out of Walnut Grove have been much weaker than usual the past few days, while KQCA 58 RF 46 has been coming in at normal levels.

Larry
I hadn’t even thought about this. I just checked my signals and I am down an average of 8 points over the spectrum. Indeed, smoke seems to be affecting both VHF and UHF as well.

Bobby 

post #15826 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Larry

Maybe but it could be a coincidence too. I'll bet smoke is like raindrops. The particles are too small to affect any TV reception. I've not seen any VHF issues. KGO has been nominal. Sutro UHF has been unusually good this Fall so far. All the stations that are possible to receive have been in most of the time. KQED is the leader of the pack with SNRs often in the 25-28 dB range. KBCW is a couple of dB stronger but its SNR is lower due to interference from KAHC-LD in Sacramento.

I have not seen any of the typical strong inversions that mess up Walnut Grove reception in the Fall.

Chuck
post #15827 of 15830 Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Has the Mt. St. Helena summit burned?
Chuck
No, but the fire is getting closer and up hill fire runs faster.

I spotted this on KGO just after 5 PM.

SHF

1/14/2017 6 PM Update

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt St Helena.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2297200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt St Helena10_14_2017.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2298500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt St Helena10_16_2017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2299500  

Last edited by SFischer1; Yesterday at 06:01 PM.
post #15828 of 15830 Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an update email I received from Keith, owner of channels 3, 6, 12 and 45:

The communication site in Santa Rosa that we have an LPTV and two FM translators burned down in the fire. It looks like the tower is still standing, but the trailer buildings burned. This is for KUKR-LD for our TV station, and Broken FM's translators on 103.1 and 89.5 as well as the LPFM that we helped start (KUPV-LP). You can see our receive log periodic antenna hanging down. It was on the building pointed toward Mt. St. Helena.

We've also been off the air due to loss of power for KFTY-LD up on Mt. St. Helena. Also, there may be some wind damage to the transmit antenna. KFTY-LD feeds the rest of the One Ministries stations. The uplink antenna at the studio got turned around, and I fixed that on Wednesday. I had to evacuate at Midnight on Sunday due to the fire. I live up on Calistoga Rd between Calistoga and Santa Rosa. The transmitter site is also off of Calistoga Rd but it was on the burned west side of the road.

- - -

Sorry to hear about all of the fire damage, but glad that you and your family are okay.

Larry

post #15829 of 15830 Old 10-13-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Suspension of Operations and Silent Authority of an Analog LPTV Translator Station

Another NTSC Analog station goes off the air.

Quote:
The instant submission serves as notice to the Federal Communications Commission that
the television translator, K25HI, Santa Rosa, California, FAC ID 65532, licensed to Nexstar
Broadcasting, Inc., discontinued operation due to damage caused by the California wildfires on
October 12, 2017. The transmitter building has been completely destroyed.
Note: I got the ability to open PDF files, but it is and was a one step forward and four steps backward with some steps going completely around the world.

Moral: get your W7 systems up to date before MSFT shuts off the updates in 2010.

SHF
post #15830 of 15830 Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, but the fire is getting closer and up hill fire runs faster.

I spotted this on KGO just after 5 PM.

SHF
Post updated with new map.

10/16/2017 6 PM Update

Thursday Rain will create mud slides which will put out fires.

The wind will be from the South which then will threaten the Mt. St. Helena summit.

SHF

San Francisco, CA - OTA

New Update, it is getting closer. 10/16/2017

Last edited by SFischer1; Yesterday at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page