Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 592 Old 10-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 View Post

In what ways is a TiVo superior to a Motorola?

See this for RCN's take.

See TiVo's site for all their pitch. (Ignore the costs on TiVo's site - you'd be renting the box and service from RCN and their pricing hasn't been set.)

TiVo is the original DVR. Everything else is just an imitation (and the courts think so too - look up TiVo vs Dish). It's faster, has better menus, can be on your home network so you can transfer shows off of it and can download movies from Amazon and Netflix On Demand, and so much more. Add the fact that the new RCN version will do VideoOnDemand. Seems like no contest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 592 Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post

I don't have one, so I can't comment about their functionality.

It sounds like all the Motorola DVRs are going to be end-of-lifed by RCN in the next 3-6 months. RCN has signed TiVo as their new DVR vendor and they are supposed to start distributing the new boxes in Q1 2010.

Personally, I wouldn't trade a Motorola for a Motorola when the TiVo is just around the corner.

The question I had was on the new STB, not the DVR.

Since you brought up Tivo, I do have a question about it: Will the RCN Tivo support firewire capture like the Motorola boxes RCN supports (I have both DCH-3200 STB and DCH-3416 DVR, both can output to firewire port for unencrypted HD channels)? My understanding is that all STBs (I'm assuming Tivo is a type of STB) need to provided firewire output on request, as mandated by FCC. Thanks.
post #543 of 592 Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

Since you brought up Tivo, I do have a question about it: Will the RCN Tivo support firewire capture like the Motorola boxes RCN supports (I have both DCH-3200 STB and DCH-3416 DVR, both can output to firewire port for unencrypted HD channels)? My understanding is that all STBs (I'm assuming Tivo is a type of STB) need to provided firewire output on request, as mandated by FCC. Thanks.

The FCC mandates that cable operators offer "a" device with Firewire MPEG-TS outputs, but they don't specify that it has to be a DVR. The concept came about in the early HD days as a single connect between a cable box and a TV. Most TV manufacturers never got behind it and standard didn't support the copy protection that the MPAA and CableLabs wanted. HDMI has taken its place as the single cable connector of choice. I haven't seen any TVs with Firewire ports in years and I imagine the FCC will remove that requirement when they review the "analog hole" with the cable industry in the near future.

TiVos historically have not had Firewire outputs, but they don't need it because you can download shows over your home network. Plus, the downloads from a TiVo are not limited to just the unencrypted content. The Series3 and HD models have eSATA for adding storage, but that port is strictly for that purpose. The RCN box will be the new Series4 and no technical details have been released yet.
post #544 of 592 Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm a long time Time Warner Cable customer (in Astoria), and have always been frustrated with them... their customer service, in my experience, is terrible. I pay about $150 /month for cable and DVR service with most of the pay channels.

I'm considering switching to RCN. It sounds like I'd save a little by switching. That said, I know next to nothing about RCN.

From this forum, I learned that:

(1) they don't have NY1, which I tend to watch that most mornings and some evenings.
(2) they don't have GSN (I watch High Stakes Poker)

I suppose I could start watching NY1 on my computer, and could live without High Stakes poker. Has anyone made a similar switch? Was it worth it? Any advice/cautionary tales/regrets?

Thanks

Dan
post #545 of 592 Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
i looked into it as i have it available in my building. they lock you into minimum 1 year contract and from what ive heard from neighbors they are as hard to cancel as aol or vonage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny4773 View Post

I'm a long time Time Warner Cable customer (in Astoria), and have always been frustrated with them... their customer service, in my experience, is terrible. I pay about $150 /month for cable and DVR service with most of the pay channels.

I'm considering switching to RCN. It sounds like I'd save a little by switching. That said, I know next to nothing about RCN.

From this forum, I learned that:

(1) they don't have NY1, which I tend to watch that most mornings and some evenings.
(2) they don't have GSN (I watch High Stakes Poker)

I suppose I could start watching NY1 on my computer, and could live without High Stakes poker. Has anyone made a similar switch? Was it worth it? Any advice/cautionary tales/regrets?

Thanks

Dan

post #546 of 592 Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM

A few days ago I happened to run a scan on my HDTV to see what new clear QAM channels I would pick up. I was very happy to see that NatGeoHD was back in the clear again (channel 53-2, IIRC), just like before the pre-analog crush days. I then quickly set up my PC-based PVR to record programs.

Well the good times didn't last long. After recording a couple of shows for two days, I no longer get clear QAM for NGCHD. What a bumper!

Anyone know if this is a short-term phenomenon?
post #547 of 592 Old 11-27-2009, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

Tivo is trying to get a waiver so they can produce a box without firewire.
post #548 of 592 Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Has anyone heard anything about when Tivo will be implemented or what its features will be?
post #549 of 592 Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamman100 View Post

Has anyone heard anything about when Tivo will be implemented or what its features will be?

RCN has stated mid 1st quarter of 2010...so most likely it will be available in February
post #550 of 592 Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

RCN has stated mid 1st quarter of 2010...so most likely it will be available in February

Interesting. They've been blitzing me with ads and deals. I'm ready to switch from TWC to RCN. TWC just can't seem to get things to work consistently. I have to reboot my STB 1-3 times/day.

I wonder if I should wait until the new boxes come out...?
post #551 of 592 Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamman100 View Post

Interesting. They've been blitzing me with ads and deals. I'm ready to switch from TWC to RCN. TWC just can't seem to get things to work consistently. I have to reboot my STB 1-3 times/day.

I wonder if I should wait until the new boxes come out...?

I used to have TWC and I switched to RCN...I think RCN offers better HD picture quality...plus they have really improved their channel lineup as well...only thing better then RCN would be FIOS
post #552 of 592 Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Made a few switches between TWC and RCN, too. Some years back got both at the same time--just to get HDNet (before TWC had it). On TWC now but RCN's offering deals, so might switch again to get both HDNets (recently dropped from TWC). Looks like RCN matches TWC on HD channel numbers--or close enough.

Several years back, using HDnet's Saturday test patterns, these measurements confirmed RCN's setup provided higher HD resolution (1335 lines vs. 1290). Glad to hear RCN still looks good after the analog drop, which I had for a while.Wonder if the TIVO matches or exceeds the older Motorola STB PQ-wise--and how much RCN might be further rate-shaping/compressing its lineup versus 2005 (link above)?

Biggest RCN hassle the last time, before dropping them, was the steady rise in my bills, quickly exceeding the "deal" amount promised by a local sales guy. Gave up on going through the choreographed run-around from reps in the Philippines who never seemed to have accurate data on their computers. -- John
post #553 of 592 Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Made a few switches between TWC and RCN, too. Some years back got both at the same time--just to get HDNet (before TWC had it). On TWC now but RCN's offering deals, so might switch again to get both HDNet's (recently dropped from TWC). Looks like RCN matches TWC on HD channel numbers--or close enough.

Several years back, using HDnet's Saturday test patterns, these measurements confirmed RCN's setup provided higher HD resolution (1335 lines vs. 1290). Glad to hear RCN still looks good after the analog drop, which I had for a while.Wonder if the TIVO matches or exceeds the older Motorola STB PQ-wise--and how much RCN might be further rate-shaping/compressing its lineup versus 2005 (link above)?

Biggest RCN hassle the last time, before dropping them, was the steady rise in my bills, quickly exceeding the "deal" amount promised by a local sales guy. Gave up on going through the choreographed run-around from reps in the Philippines who never seemed to have accurate data on their computers. -- John

I think that customer service remains one of RCN's major shortcomings. I've been their subscriber for over five years now and their PQ, channel lineup, and reliability in general are quite good. However, god help you if you need to deal with their customer service. Starting with the installation where they wanted to bill me twice for their "free installation", to pricing which insidiously keeps rising (last year they gladly promised me one price only to raise it the following month). Similarly they would promise one price on the phone and the bill would reveal something higher, etc. Moreover, I always have a sense that their customer service couldn't care less if you decided to cancel the service.

At this time I again have to deal with their customer service because they presented me with this unpalatable choice:

I can remain month-to-month and see my bill go sky-high or I can sign an annual contract and still see the price go higher. The reason I currently don't have a contract is that the last time I modified my plan RCN did not have long-term contracts even though I asked for one.

What is impossible to understand is that RCN would rather see me switch to FiOS than offer me the same promotional price they (RCN) are offering new customers. The sad part is that even RCN's promotional price is higher than Verizon's.
post #554 of 592 Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Looks like RCN matches TWC on HD channel numbers--or close enough.

Maybe I wasn't accurate above. I count ~93 HD channels, including all the premiums, at the RCN site. But folks at the NYC TWC thread claim they have ~123 HDs now. Perhaps I'm missing some HD sports channels, with isolated listings, at RCN? -- John
post #555 of 592 Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Maybe I wasn't accurate above. I count ~93 HD channels, including all the premiums, at the RCN site. But folks at the NYC TWC thread claim they have ~123 HDs now. Perhaps I'm missing some HD sports channels, with isolated listings, at RCN? -- John

I just counted and I currently have 104 HD channels (including all premiums plus the 10 extra HD Suite channels which cost an additional $8.99)...this also includes the NFL RedZone HD channel which is a sports package premium channel which costs extra
post #556 of 592 Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Liked: 11
I am considering changing from Time Warner to RCN.

Do RCN's HD DVR boxes allow you to connect an external eSATA drive for more storage?

I notice that while RCN's Signature package (their 'basic' package) does not include the channels with music and concert programming that I currently have on Time Warner: RCN's basic package does not include the additional MTV and VH1 channels (like VH1 Classics), or FUSE or Palladia.
post #557 of 592 Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post

I am considering changing from Time Warner to RCN.

Do RCN's HD DVR boxes allow you to connect an external eSATA drive for more storage?

I notice that while RCN's Signature package (their 'basic' package) does not include the channels with music and concert programming that I currently have on Time Warner: RCN's basic package does not include the additional MTV and VH1 channels (like VH1 Classics), or FUSE or Palladia.

Currently they do not support external drives but they just announced that their new DVR will be made by Tivo and this one will.
post #558 of 592 Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Is anyone else having occasional problems their DVR not recording shows at the usual scheduled times? For example, both Letterman and Leno started recording at 12:00am instead of the usual 11:35pm last night. In the past I had only seen this happening with NBC shows.
post #559 of 592 Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 AM

Starting a week ago, while playing back recorded shows from my RCN DVR, the audio signal cuts out often for several seconds. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a fix for it?

I have no audio issues at all when I watch live TV with the same STB.

Thanks
post #560 of 592 Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mets18 View Post

Currently they do not support external drives but they just announced that their new DVR will be made by Tivo and this one will.

Has RCN changed over to the Tivo DVRs yet? They had told me earlier this year that the move to Tivo was scheduled for late April.

When they do switch to Tivo, I would appreciate hearing people's comments about hooking up an external drive (for more storage) through the eSATA connection of their RCN HD DVR boxes.

For anyone looking to connect an external hard drive, you have to be careful about the hard drive you use. Many DVR boxes will not work with just any old external hard drive, even if it has an eSATA connection. I do not understand why, but there are threads on this forum that discuss this, and websites where people can note whether their DVR units worked with certain brands and models of external drives (like a collective trial-and-error spreadsheet).

For example, Western Digital's regular external hard drives do not work with Time Warner's DVD boxes, but Western Digital makes a "DVR hard drive" which does work fine.
post #561 of 592 Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post

Has RCN changed over to the Tivo DVRs yet? They had told me earlier this year that the move to Tivo was scheduled for late April.

the RCN Tivo launched in Washington DC this past week...it's currently in beta trials here in NYC...it will most likely be made available in mid to late May

http://www.tivo.com/products/source/...rcn/index.html

http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv/tivo-in-dc
post #562 of 592 Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM

I noticed on some older Samantha Brown travel shows (from 2006-2007) things look stretched slightly in width. This is due to the show stretching horizontally to fill the 16:9 screen as opposed to filling the screen with black bars. I have recordings of these shows from the past that had the correct aspect ratio (and they had the black bars) so I know what the right AR looks like.

Anyone know how to go about fixing this? I suppose I could call RCN but I'm not sure if I would be wasting my time. Is this an RCN problem or Travel Channel problem?
post #563 of 592 Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

the RCN Tivo is now available in the NYC market...I had a tech come out earlier today and swap out my old Motorola box for a Tivo...I love the new box...the VOD and all the Tivo menus are so quick to load with no wait time...this is a major step up for RCN
post #564 of 592 Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

beginning July 1st RCN will be adding the following HD channels: Comedy Central HD, Spike TV HD, MTV HD, BET HD, VH1 HD and Nickelodeon HD

some nice additions by RCN...about time we finally got Comedy Central HD
post #565 of 592 Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

beginning July 1st RCN will be adding the following HD channels: Comedy Central HD, Spike TV HD, MTV HD, BET HD, VH1 HD and Nickelodeon HD

some nice additions by RCN...about time we finally got Comedy Central HD

Do they carry HDNET?
post #566 of 592 Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo View Post

Do they carry HDNET?

no
post #567 of 592 Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo View Post

Do they carry HDNET?

RCN used to carry HDNET but they removed it a few months back

the new HD channels launched early and are now available for RCN Tivo owners (CMT HD was also added)
post #568 of 592 Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Hi

Just moved back to NY and living in Forest Hills. I have used OTA for my HD signals in Manhattan and in Hawaii. Here in Forest Hills, I can only grab CBS and Fox in my building using my indoor OTA antenna. I use pchdtv cards in my HTPC for tuning and MythTV for DVR.

I have RCN for my cable modem and was wondering how their QAM-256 HD channels are and if I would be able to get them directly with my tuner cards in my computer? I don't want to lock into a contract for a test.

Thanks
Joe
post #569 of 592 Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

if u already have rcn cable modem, what is stopping you from plugging the coax into your tuner card for your "test" ????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by joev View Post

Hi

Just moved back to NY and living in Forest Hills. I have used OTA for my HD signals in Manhattan and in Hawaii. Here in Forest Hills, I can only grab CBS and Fox in my building using my indoor OTA antenna. I use pchdtv cards in my HTPC for tuning and MythTV for DVR.

I have RCN for my cable modem and was wondering how their QAM-256 HD channels are and if I would be able to get them directly with my tuner cards in my computer? I don't want to lock into a contract for a test.

Thanks
Joe

post #570 of 592 Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

if u already have rcn cable modem, what is stopping you from plugging the coax into your tuner card for your "test" ????????

already tried that with no luck. I figured they finally figured a way to filter out tv from data.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page