New York, NY - RCN - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 592 Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved to Forest Hills, NY this past August and have hooked up RCN for cable tv and internet service as I've used TWC before and did not experience great service from them. I was more interested in DirecTV but my co-op does not allow satellites attached to the building.

In any case, my installation went pretty well with no major issues. Since it's been about 2 weeks living in my apt, internet service has been running well as expected which is a good thing. My tv service remains to be questioned. I'm not sure if it's my TV or the wiring but I do see pixels on my HD channels such as ESPN HD when watching SportsCenter and some other HD channels. The past two days, it seems as if the pixelation is gone but I'm not sure if that's because I calibrated my TV and may have hid that? But otherwise, the tv service is fine too. TiVo is great and has been recording my programs I an interested in for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 592 Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^Had both RCN and TWC simultaneously for a while in midtown Manhattan some years back. Recorded HDNet's Test Patterns (6:30 am ET Saturdays) on both DVRs. RCN provided slightly better 1080i HD resolution . Clearly outdated, although it could still apply. The last link outlines the measurement technique. Nice to have HDNet's 10 minutes of patterns--color bars, resoution wedges, etc--still on my TWC DVR since it's a nice reference to catch subtle PQ changes via cable, or a quick check for the display/STB. For example, if you measure ~1440 lines of resolution initially and weeks later only <1300, that indicates noise or perhaps additional rate shaping--at least for HDNet's QAM slot, and perhaps noticeable elsewhere--has dropped the resolution. TWC canceled HDNet. Test patterns from Blu-ray test discs usually provide full 1920X1080 static resolution on 1080p displays.

Other than quick rare glitches, you shouldn't be seeing blocking artifacts on channels, and wouldn't think set alignment is the cause for them. RCN should iron out poor quality video signals, bad enough for macroblocking, before cablecasting them. -- John
post #573 of 592 Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM

OT
We have been an RCN customer now for over 10 years. Overall we are pleased with RCN's service.
I gotta say though that RCN is one strange company.
I just found out today, by accident, while browsing their website that RCN now offers internet connection speeds of 60 Mbps Download/6 Mpbs upload.
I inquired how long they have offered this new speed and the customer service rep told me about a year!
I couldn't believe that I first heard about this until today. Virtually no promotion (if any) that I heard about.
The funny thing is that I check RCN's website every couple of months or so to see when they would offer an upgrade from my present 20/2 download/upload speeds.
We have the tech guy coming over on Weds to hook us up with the new speed.
Can't wait!
post #574 of 592 Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxtros View Post

OT
We have been an RCN customer now for over 10 years. Overall we are pleased with RCN's service.
I gotta say though that RCN is one strange company.
I just found out today, by accident, while browsing their website that RCN now offers internet connection speeds of 60 Mbps Download/6 Mpbs upload.
I inquired how long they have offered this new speed and the customer service rep told me about a year!
I couldn't believe that I first heard about this until today. Virtually no promotion (if any) that I heard about.
The funny ting is that I check RCN's website every couple of months or so to see when they would offer an upgrade from my present 20/2 download/upload speeds.
We have the tech guy coming over on Weds to hook us up with the new speed.
Can't wait!

What will this cost extra? I have a DOCSIS3 modem I bought a year ago, and think it's all that's required. But my cable/Internet deal of under $100 with all premium (except Cinemax) may be in jeopardy.

Please let us know what you're paying. We have 20/2.

You are responsible to be responsible.
post #575 of 592 Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdesigner View Post

What will this cost extra? I have a DOCSIS3 modem I bought a year ago, and think it's all that's required. But my cable/Internet deal of under $100 with all premium (except Cinemax) may be in jeopardy.

Please let us know what you're paying. We have 20/2.

RCN rep told us that it would add around $50.00 a month more to our bill.
We have been an RCN customer for well over a decade and are not locked into any contract.

I think if you have a contract with them you might be locked at that speed until the contract is over/renewed.
post #576 of 592 Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Can we get Al Jazeera in English on RCN in New York (Manhattan)? If so, what channel? Thank you.
post #577 of 592 Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 View Post

Can we get Al Jazeera in English on RCN in New York (Manhattan)? If so, what channel? Thank you.

Al jazeera English is only carried on time warner cable in NYC area. FiOS, cablevision,rcn,comcast don't carry it. It streams online for free in HD if u really want to see it.
post #578 of 592 Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have RCN, but only recently upgraded to HDTV. On the HD cable channels, while I do see some commercials broadcast at 2.35:1 or thereabouts, I've yet to see an anamorphic widescreen movie (original AR of 2.35 to 2.39:1) at the proper aspect ratio. Are the cable channels changing them to 16:9 or is RCN changing them to 16:9 or is my set somehow set incorrectly (even though every other setting is worse.) The funny thing is that when SD TCM broadcasts a widescreen movie, it is in the correct AR, although it's 2.35 or 2.55 within the 1.33 frame, so there's black borders on all four sides.
post #579 of 592 Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I have RCN, but only recently upgraded to HDTV. On the HD cable channels, while I do see some commercials broadcast at 2.35:1 or thereabouts, I've yet to see an anamorphic widescreen movie (original AR of 2.35 to 2.39:1) at the proper aspect ratio. Are the cable channels changing them to 16:9 or is RCN changing them to 16:9 or is my set somehow set incorrectly (even though every other setting is worse.) The funny thing is that when SD TCM broadcasts a widescreen movie, it is in the correct AR, although it's 2.35 or 2.55 within the 1.33 frame, so there's black borders on all four sides.

On HD channels, RCN (and other cable companies) can only control aspect ratio of local ads they insert themselves, not those that are run nationally on the network
post #580 of 592 Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

On HD channels, RCN (and other cable companies) can only control aspect ratio of local ads they insert themselves, not those that are run nationally on the network

That's a good thing and good to know, but does this mean that the cable networks are not broadcasting anamorphic films in original 2.35:1 aspect ratio?
post #581 of 592 Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's a good thing and good to know, but does this mean that the cable networks are not broadcasting anamorphic films in original 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

Depends on the network. U never specified which ones.
post #582 of 592 Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed something else today. My RCN HD cable box is only putting out 720p even for CBS and NBC. At least my TV is saying it's only 720p. When I switch to OTA, it does say 1080i. I don't want to get into a debate of whether 720p or 1080i is better, but is RCN converting 1080i to 720p or is the cable box somehow set incorrectly (except there doesn't seem to be any way to make any adjustments on the box)?

Edit: Never mind. RCN just told me the settings are part of the normal Menu functions. Will adjust when I get home. I guess they default them to 720p so it will work on either a 720p or a 1080p set.

Edit: OK, so now the cable box is set to 1080i, but I really didn't want the cable box to change 720p to 1080i. I'd prefer my TV take care of it because it probably does a much better job of it. But there's no "native" setting, which in my view would send whatever the broadcaster (whether OTA or cable) is sending. Bummer.

Also: Anyone have a list of which cable stations "broadcast" in 1080i and which in 720p? For the OTA networks, I know that CBS, NBC and WPBS broadcast in 1080i and every other major OTA channel in 720p. But I'd love to know what the cable channels are doing.
post #583 of 592 Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

I guess this site doesn't have very many RCN users, but I guess I'll try again.
1. Anyone have a list of which cable networks broadcast at 720p and which at 1080i?

2. I've been watching Linsanity recently on MSG-HD and in spite of the fact the the Garden was renovated and they supposedly put in all this new technology, I'm seeing the games at 4:3 instead of 16:9. Why? Is this how it us for MSG-HD on all cable systems or do they have some limited deal with RCN? The All-Star Game was on TNT or one of the other Turner stations and that was broadcast in 16:9.

3. Anyone else pissed that most cable networks show 2.35/2.39:1 movies at 16:9? One of the few exceptions was a showing of the Indiana Jones movies a few weeks ago. Forget which station they were on but they were shown at proper aspect ratio.
post #584 of 592 Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I guess this site doesn't have very many RCN users, but I guess I'll try again.
1. Anyone have a list of which cable networks broadcast at 720p and which at 1080i?

2. I've been watching Linsanity recently on MSG-HD and in spite of the fact the the Garden was renovated and they supposedly put in all this new technology, I'm seeing the games at 4:3 instead of 16:9. Why? Is this how it us for MSG-HD on all cable systems or do they have some limited deal with RCN? The All-Star Game was on TNT or one of the other Turner stations and that was broadcast in 16:9.

3. Anyone else pissed that most cable networks show 2.35/2.39:1 movies at 16:9? One of the few exceptions was a showing of the Indiana Jones movies a few weeks ago. Forget which station they were on but they were shown at proper aspect ratio.

Yeah RCN is a smaller market had it in my building complex {Stuyvesant town in NYC} when I moved in 1998, I moved out last year and now i'm TWC... only benefit to RCN was it being cheaper that TWC.
I remember many RCN channels that were supposed to be in HD {like certain premium HBO's in the HD lineup but were clearly streched out 4:3, eventually it was fixed if enough people called in and complained that the channel was "wrong" might be the case with MSG-hd
As far as the networks and even cable channels will zoom in almost all movies to 16:9 because you know people will complain about those black bars on top and bottom of their movie... the only exceptions seem to be movies that need it [Lawrence of Arabia] or are 'important' [Schindler's List]
post #585 of 592 Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

Quote:

3. Anyone else pissed that most cable networks show 2.35/2.39:1 movies at 16:9?

Yes, lots of us. Here's an AVS topic on the subject started in 2003:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=320739

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #586 of 592 Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Recent MSG-HD games have been properly 16:9. Don't know why there were some at 4:3.

Thanks for the other replies.
post #587 of 592 Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Does RCN in New York offer any 3D programs? Does anyone know when they will? Thank you.
post #588 of 592 Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice2 View Post

Does RCN in New York offer any 3D programs? Does anyone know when they will? Thank you.

Nope. No 3D. They don't announce much in advance (or ever), so I don't think you're going to see 3D out of them soon, but who really knows? I don't care about 3D, so this isn't a big deal for me.

One thing that is a bigger deal for me is that they don't offer Turner Classic Movies in HD. Many other cable companies do. I also think that they are overpriced, even though I have them giving me all kinds of promotional discounts. Every year the price goes up and at the same time, channels are lost from the basic tier.

I know they're under pressure from the cable networks, who raise their prices every year and many of them demand to be paid by the total number of subscribers to the system, not the number of people who actually watch the channel. IMO, this is unsustainable and if the MSO's like RCN and Time-Warner don't want to find themselves wiped out by other non-linear services, they'd better wake up and start offering ala-carte services. They could do it on the point system: the OTA channels are "0", cable networks who don't charge them a fee would be "0" and other networks would be some varying amount of points. You would get so many points for so many dollars with escalations so that you spend less per point as you buy more.

I actually watch very few channels - I have the vast majority of channels de-programmed.

They'd probably make less money in the short run, but I think they'd make more in the long run as people paid a little more to get another channel and as they'd get less churn because people could stick with a smaller package rather than dropping them entirely. The costs of acquiring a new customer are actually quite high.

I do have to give RCN credit for never getting into these big battles with the cable networks that results in channels being taken off the air during negotiations. Frankly, I think they just cave because they're relatively small and don't have the negotiating power anyway.
post #589 of 592 Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Does anyone know if RCN has plans to add Fox College Sports? Not having it this football season may be a deal killer for me. I sent them a couple of emails, but never received a response.
post #590 of 592 Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

In case anyone's interested, RCN does have a 3D Olympics channel.
post #591 of 592 Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM

An acquaintance with low vision who uses RCN in NYC has been having difficulty accessing video description services ever since RCN began encrypting the QAM signal he had been receiving in his HDTV. Despite numerous efforts to get assistance from RCN, he says the company has not been able to troubleshoot the problem effectively for him so far. He is now using a set top box, but he is still having trouble accessing the service.

(Video description is a service that describes visual information presented in a video to help people who are blind or low-vision understand what is happening visually, using audio. It is often selected by using one of the optional audio programs, sometimes denoted with an "SAP" on a remote control.)

He recently tried to get video description for "Criminal Minds" on CBS but was not able to do so. However, he did succeed in getting it for "Nashville" on ABC.

I'm wondering if anyone who currently uses RCN in New York City could try to help by figuring out how blind and low vision users are supposed to be able to access the video description service for the major channels. There's a web page about video description here, including a list of the shows that are supposed to have the service:

http://www.acb.org/adp/tv.html

If RCN subscribers could try to figure out how to turn on the service for CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS TV programs and document here how they did so, along with an indication of what kind of set-top box and remote control they're using, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance!
post #592 of 592 Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

The process for CBS would be the same as the process for ABC. Now the question would be if the program on CBS has the service and if RCN is passing it thru. HD versions of the channel should have all services passed thru but SD may be stripped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulvany View Post

An acquaintance with low vision who uses RCN in NYC has been having difficulty accessing video description services ever since RCN began encrypting the QAM signal he had been receiving in his HDTV. Despite numerous efforts to get assistance from RCN, he says the company has not been able to troubleshoot the problem effectively for him so far. He is now using a set top box, but he is still having trouble accessing the service.
(Video description is a service that describes visual information presented in a video to help people who are blind or low-vision understand what is happening visually, using audio. It is often selected by using one of the optional audio programs, sometimes denoted with an "SAP" on a remote control.)
He recently tried to get video description for "Criminal Minds" on CBS but was not able to do so. However, he did succeed in getting it for "Nashville" on ABC.
I'm wondering if anyone who currently uses RCN in New York City could try to help by figuring out how blind and low vision users are supposed to be able to access the video description service for the major channels. There's a web page about video description here, including a list of the shows that are supposed to have the service:
http://www.acb.org/adp/tv.html
If RCN subscribers could try to figure out how to turn on the service for CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS TV programs and document here how they did so, along with an indication of what kind of set-top box and remote control they're using, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page