New York, NY - RCN - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 592 Old 04-15-2006, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates? Did the away games come in as HD? My guiide say YESHD is "Off Air"... I don't want to add the HD Tier unless I'm sure I'll get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 592 Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 AM

For the moment, YES only does home games in HD. 734 is in "off-air" mode at all other times. YES plans an all HD station sometime in 2007.
post #93 of 592 Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 AM

Only the home games are broadcast in HD. If you flip through the guide you'll see that YESHD is "off air" until Saturday at 1:05pm because that's the next home game on Yes (Friday night's game is on WWOR, ch 9.). I see no reason why it would not come in then.
post #94 of 592 Old 04-16-2006, 08:56 AM

Oh, I thought it was simulcast with YES, with all the other programming too. Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll wait until the next home stand to order it.
post #95 of 592 Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm considering a switch from TWC, and my building has both TWC and RCN. So unlike many New Yorkers, it seems like I've got options.

Is there anyone else who switched from TWC recently? I'm wondering how the HD DVR compares to the SA 8300. Just general experiences/issues with RCN. I can't imagine them being much worse than TWC.

After crunching the numbers, for about the same money I gain Starz, Cinemax and Showtime (wasn't paying for Showtime from TWC, even though it was offered), and lose TNT, inHD, inHD2, and Universal HD. In other words, I'm trading Basketball, Imax conversions, and re-runs of Knight Rider and Quantum Leap for better movies and premium series.

Is there anything I should be aware of before I switch?

Thanks in advance.
post #96 of 592 Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM

In manhattan, using cablecard, no cable box. Since last Thurs, SNY (33) and Yes HD channel (734) have not been coming in consistently. Getting constant flickering between "Channel Not Available" message and the actual telecast. Just happening to these 2 channels. Both channels were viewable without issues before last Thurs.

Called RCN and had several "signals sent" to my TV, rescanned all channels, but nothing fixed it. Having a tech come look at it on Sat. I'm primarily scared that I will be charged the $50 + $35 per half-hour for the visit and resolution, whether this is their fault or not. I dont trust RCN.

Is their any troubleshooting/checks I can do on my own before I put myself into a situation where RCN tries to rip me off for more money?

Is anyone else in Manhattan experiencing this with these channels, or had a similar experience?

thanks.
post #97 of 592 Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe it is time to go another route.

George.Bodenheimer@ESPN.com
VP of Programming at ESPN

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
post #98 of 592 Old 05-25-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by props View Post

Is anyone else in Manhattan experiencing this with these channels, or had a similar experience?

Yes, with TWC. Not a regular viewer of the sports channels, but I've noticed this week that for the big Yankees and Mets games sometimes the same game is duplicated (onscreen guide) for two channels but is only playing on one. Assume it's some type of blankout agreement. I get an all-gray screen here.

Had both RCN and TWC (just to get RCN's HD Starz and Cinemax), but dropped RCN in January. Assume there haven't been any major HDTV additions recently. Too bad RCN doesn't beat TWC to the draw and add switched broadcasting immediately, plus a bunch of HD channels that matches Verizon's FIOS HD lineup. Switched broadcasting lets you live tune channels. akin to video on demand, and enables head ends to offer far more channels without major overhauls. -- John
post #99 of 592 Old 05-25-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Yes, with TWC. Not a regular viewer of the sports channels, but I've noticed this week that for the big Yankees and Mets games sometimes the same game is duplicated (onscreen guide) for two channels but is only playing on one. Assume it's some type of blankout agreement. I get an all-gray screen here.

Had both RCN and TWC (just to get RCN's HD Starz and Cinemax), but dropped RCN in January. Assume there haven't been any major HDTV additions recently. Too bad RCN doesn't beat TWC to the draw and add switched broadcasting immediately, plus a bunch of HD channels that matches Verizon's FIOS HD lineup. Switched broadcasting lets you live tune channels. akin to video on demand, and enables head ends to offer far more channels without major overhauls. -- John

RCN can't afford to add Movie Channel or TNT in HD as people here posted that they will add so I can't see them ever doing SBV. Someone here got a press release they added Sportsnet in HD and I don't think they have that yet either or they are just slow with updating their channel listing on their website.
post #100 of 592 Old 06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent a email to an executive in Verizon asking about Fios, apperently he thought I was somebody else within the Company. A MUST READ

My Email:
"Mr. Pizzirani, can you tell me when Fios will be available in Manhattan?
07, 08?"
thank you, Andy

Email Routed:

"Andy,
John Schommer on my time can provide you more insight.
Thanks, Chris
John,
Please respond to Andy's question. Thanks, Chris"

Response:
"Andy,
I assume that you are the Andy ******* (NY Field Tech). As I wouldn't want
to share this information externally just yet.
We are in Manhattan today, but only in a few locations where MDU
renovations have taken place (still considered a Greenfield). The biggest
issues with Manhattan are 1) permitting, and 2) TV franchising. We
anticipate the Video franchising sometime in mid 2008 - therefore you won't
see a large scale build in Manhattan until late 2007 or early 2008. Of
course, competitive market changes could also expedite these decisions and
deployments.

Note: These are not committed timeframes and should no be shared outside of
the company."

John R. Schommer
-
-
-
their u have it folks, ETA 2 years

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
post #101 of 592 Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi,

I am moving to manhattan and am looking at RCN for my plasma hdtv. Is their service reccomended? i looked at their website and tried to figure out what i need... do you need the digital cable as well as the hd tuner, or just the hd tuner? thanks for your help.

also, does tivo work with rcn?
post #102 of 592 Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 AM

I can't speak to Tivo. I know they have their own DVR set-top boxes, although I don't have one so I can't really speak to that either.

For your high-def plasma you will need the RCN digital HD package and an RCN digital set-top box. My television has an internal QAM tuner, so I can actually pick up the networks in HD just by plugging the coax directly into my TV. But you won't be able to get HBO or any of the premium channels using this method. I put a splitter on the coax and ran one directly into the TV and another to the RCN STB to the TV and I switch inputs on the TV when I want to watch HBO.

If your TV has an internal HD tuner you can run the same setup I do, or you can just get the box and go through that. If your TV is only HD-ready, you'll need the STB in any event.
post #103 of 592 Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgWagon View Post

I can't speak to Tivo. I know they have their own DVR set-top boxes, although I don't have one so I can't really speak to that either.

For your high-def plasma you will need the RCN digital HD package and an RCN digital set-top box. My television has an internal QAM tuner, so I can actually pick up the networks in HD just by plugging the coax directly into my TV. But you won't be able to get HBO or any of the premium channels using this method. I put a splitter on the coax and ran one directly into the TV and another to the RCN STB to the TV and I switch inputs on the TV when I want to watch HBO.

If your TV has an internal HD tuner you can run the same setup I do, or you can just get the box and go through that. If your TV is only HD-ready, you'll need the STB in any event.

thanks for the details, that definitely makes sense... i know this is slightly off topic for this forum, but i haven't bought the tv yet... do i need an hdtv tuner built in? the one i am looking at is only hdtv ready.

also, my roommates won't have an hdtv package, will they still be able to watch tv? i assume we will need digital cable boxes for everyone? or will we only need one. sorry for these dumb questions, i have pull it together asap and can't talk to rcn at work.

potentially the setup would be a non-hd tv with the digital cable box only if necessary in the living room (and possibly in the other bedrooms), and then my tv in my room with digital cable and a hdtv tuner hooked up to the tv (assuming i purchase one w/o a tuner). finally i either add an dvr or tivo to the setup if need be. does this make sense?

thank you so much for your help.
post #104 of 592 Old 06-23-2006, 09:19 AM

I think most people would agree that having the built in tuner is NOT a necessity. Most sets that do have it these days have what's called a cablecard slot, which is for when the cable company gives you a card that goes in the TV instead of the STB to decode their channels. But the rollout of this technology has been pretty slow, and to my knowledge RCN doesn't offer it in Manhattan yet. Bottom line: don't worry about the internal tuner, IMO.

Here's what I would do to setup the apartment: Everybody can use the digital package, even on non-HD TV sets. It's got digital audio channels and stuff like that, and it's pretty much what RCN is pushing now. For instance, there is a non-HD digital package available. However, you want high def in your room, so you need to get the Digital HD plan and pay for the difference between that package and the non-HD one every month. Where you're amiss in your post is that the digital STB is the HD Tuner. I'm pretty sure that all of the digital STBs can put out HD signals, it's just that your roommates' TVs won't be able to use them. [edit: won't need the HD signal -- they can use the boxes just fine] In case I'm wrong and there's a distinction, make sure you tell RCN that your TV needs an HD-capable STB but the others don't. If I'm right, the perk is that if any of the others ever upgrade their TVs (and prices on HDTVs keep coming down) they'll be ready to go.

The above assumes you're going to have one RCN account with all the roommates. If that's not correct, or if RCN has a rule on the number of TVs per account, then the obvious difference is that you don't need the HD plan for the other account(s) and you probably don't even need the digital service, which means that they get non-digital STBs.

Make sense?
post #105 of 592 Old 06-23-2006, 10:26 AM

makes perfect sense. i just did a little bit of digging, and it looks like I will have to request a specific box for the my room (with the hdtv) as rcn says:

I'm a cable TV customer. Can I get RCN's new HD channels?
Yes. However, in order to view the HDTV networks, customers will need to rent a Motorola DCT 5100 converter box from RCN. The Motorola DCT 2000 and 2200 converter boxes typically used by our cable customers are not capable of receiving and decoding HD signals. The HD converter box will give you access to HD programming on ABC, NBC, PBS and Fox.

so I will tell rcn that i want that box for my room and then the digital cable box for the living room. i'll probably end up making up the difference for the upgrade to this service, but obviously its worth the investment after buying the tv. thanks for helping me figure this out.

next step is to convince them to get hbo...

this is great! i am excited! thanks again!!!
post #106 of 592 Old 07-02-2006, 02:20 PM

I live in Manhattan (the village) and have RCN. My building has a contract with them back when they were liberty cable (yeah waaaay back), so we get cable paid by our building's co-op. Unfortuneately they didn't renegotiate the contract so we are stuck with analog boxes.

I got the Sharp Aquos LC-37D40U 37" LCD TV which has built in ATSC/QAM tuners. Since I didn't want to pay the $5 rental fee for a box which my building's contract should cover, I went ahead an plugged the TV in directly via the coax cable and did scan.

It picked up all the analog channels, all the digital equivalents, as well as the free HD channels. For reference, here's the most important ones (the HD ones)

Channel # - QAM Frequency - Name
702 - 122.4 - CBS HD
704 - 130.1 - NBC HD
705 - 130.2- Fox HD
707 - 131.1 - ABC HD
711 - 119.2 - WB HD
713 - 131.2 - PBS HD

As a bonus, I managed to pick up YES HD on 101.1.

the entire 125.xx band is all those audio channels. I don't like them and they're tons so I erased them from my TV's memory

You'll pick up a few other random channels, but not everything. For example the tuner picked up Fine Living on 108.4 which is in the Digital Vision lineup, but it didn't find G4 and the Speed Channel. Also on 134.1 I got History Channel Espanol, which is in the Spanish Tier package. Strange...

If anyone else can post their frequencies of channels they found please do, and I'll try those out as well. I have a tentative list of channels I'm mapping but since they're so many, it's going very slow.

EDIT: for those complaining of signal cutting in and out, I used the TV's tuner's signal meter to find the best option. If you're using a VCR/PVR/etc. don't pass through the cable through it. It degrades the signal strength quite a bit. I spliced the cable, then ran one of them to the VCR, and the other one to the TV directly and got a significantly stronger signal.
post #107 of 592 Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 AM

I think you've hit just about all of them. I posted on this a while back (but not the specific frequencies). What you'll find is that the other 'no signal' channels will at times have programming running on them, but the programming is usually movies or HBO content. There tends to be a significant amount of X-rated material as well.

I'm convinced that this is because RCN runs their pay-per-view movies over these non-dedicated frequencies, so you can in effect view other peoples orders for free. I'm pretty sure this is the case because I've seen said movies fast rewind or forward on occasion, even though I certainly wasn't doing the controlling. Only problem is obviously that you never know who's going to order what, when.
post #108 of 592 Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM

yes, that I did notice but didn't want to mention for DMCA reasons. It seems that its UDP traffic or multicast, which is why the TV picks it up. Being in a huge apt. building, those channels are active almost all day.
post #109 of 592 Old 07-05-2006, 08:37 PM

QAM Primer

Quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) is a modulation scheme which conveys data by changing (modulating) the amplitude of two carrier waves.

The signal coming from a cable company has enough bandwidth for about 125-130 frequencies. Within each frequency, there are multiple data streams of video and audio. Not all of the frequencies are digital (QAM) and not all of the QAM frequencies are clear (tunable without special decoding hardware).

Within a frequency, there can easily be ten digital standard definition video streams and 12 or more audio streams. This equates to 10 stations with audio (and a few with a SAP simulcasts) per frequency. Because HD stations take huge amounts of bandwidth, there are only be 1 or 2 HD stations within a frequency. All these frequencies are then converted to Channel Numbers on your TV.

How this applies to RCN

In the case of RCN, almost 80 of the available 130 frequencies are tied up with analog stations (as mentioned before, RCN is phasing out analog stations in the near future to free up more digital space). RCN uses QAM_256 modulation and for the most part transmits signals on standard frequencies (ie. 645000000, 723000000). From my research, RCN has 18 clear QAM frequencies (17 are full of stations, one is all Music Choice) for a total of 95 clear QAM stations.

(side note - RCN has more than 18 QAM frequencies, but the others are not necessarily clear. From my research, Video On Demand and some pay stations do rotate between frequencies and between clear and scrambled signals)

I've been working on this list for a few weeks for my MythTV box with a HD-3000 PCI ATSC tuner card. Almost all of RCN's basic service is rebroadcast in clear QAM (I have yet to find USA, AZNTV, or FSNY2). Then there are a few religious stations that I've never seen on RCN, Fine Living, Disney Toons, the local network affiliates in HD and YESHD.

(side note - this list is a tab-deliniated list that can be read by mplayer or MythTV. To use it, copy all the data under the CUT HERE and save it as channels.conf in the appropriate place for your view of choice. Key - VID=Video Stream; AID=Audio Stream; PID=Program or Process number)

Station Freq Mod VID AID PID

--- CUT HERE ---

WCBS 645000000 QAM_256 33 34 2
WPXN 687000000 QAM_256 33 34 1
WNBC 645000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
WNYW 645000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
WXTV 687000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
WABC 645000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
SHOPNBC 723000000 QAM_256 37 38 2
WWOR 645000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
HSN 681000000 QAM_256 97 100 6
WPIX 645000000 QAM_256 177 180 11
QVC 681000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
WNET 645000000 QAM_256 209 212 13
WLNYMH 777000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
WNJN 687000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
WRNNDT 687000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
WFUT 687000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
WNJU 687000000 QAM_256 49 52 3
WMBC 687000000 QAM_256 97 100 6
FAM 681000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
WLIW 687000000 QAM_256 37 38 2
CSPAN 681000000 QAM_256 37 38 2
CSPAN2 681000000 QAM_256 49 52 3
LIFE 687000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
WNYE 687012500 QAM_256 129 132 8
YES 741000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
ESPN 741000000 QAM_256 97 100 6
ESPNCL 723000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
ESPNEWS 693000000 QAM_256 16 17 1
ESPN2 741000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
MSG 777000000 QAM_256 34 32 1
FSNNY 777000000 QAM_256 36 37 2
SNY 657000000 QAM_256 33 41 2
TNT 777000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
AMC 681000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
TMC 693000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
FMC 693000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
WE 681000000 QAM_256 33 34 1
BRAVO 693000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
GALA 681000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
TWC 681000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
TVGC 609000000 QAM_256 33 34 1
TBS 693000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
WGNSAT 609000000 QAM_256 110 100 3
CNN 741000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
CNNH 723000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
NGC 723000000 QAM_256 67 70 4
BLOOM 777000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
CNBC 777000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
MSNBC 777000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
FNC 777000000 QAM_256 97 100 6
DISN 717000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
NIK 741000000 QAM_256 146 148 9
TVLAND 609000000 QAM_256 7680 4128 4
TOON 741000000 QAM_256 177 180 11
AETV 741000000 QAM_256 310 300 12
HISTORY 723000000 QAM_256 3 65 68 1
DSC 693000000 QAM_256 37 38 2
TLC 681000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
OXYGEN 609000000 QAM_256 114 116 7
FOOD 609000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
HGTV 609000000 QAM_256 97 102 6
TRAV 723000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
SCIFI 723000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
COMEDY 693012500 QAM_256 97 100 6
ETV 693000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
FX 693000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
MTV 777000000 QAM_256 49 52 3
VH1 741000000 QAM_256 36 37 2
CMTV 723000000 QAM_256 50 52 3
BET 687000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
COURT 723000000 QAM_256 33 34 6
SPIKETV 741000000 QAM_256 33 34 1
ANIMAL 723000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
CUNY 759000000 QAM_256 35 38 1
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 33 36 2
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 49 52 3
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 65 68 4
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 81 84 5
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 97 100 6
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 113 116 7
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
LOAC 759000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
TBN 609000000 QAM_256 161 164 10
EWTN 609000000 QAM_256 129 132 8
INSPIR 609000000 QAM_256 145 148 9
TVGC2 609000000 QAM_256 37 38 2
TOOND 717000000 QAM_256 208 209 6
FLIVING 699012500 QAM_256 144 145 5
WCBSDT 783000000 QAM_256 35 37 1
WNBCDT 831000000 QAM_256 33 36 2
WNYWDT 831000000 QAM_256 49 52 3
WABCDT 837000000 QAM_256 33 34 1
WPIXDT 765000000 QAM_256 33 36 2
WNETDT 837000000 QAM_256 81 84 2
YESHD 657000000 QAM_256 34 35 1

post #110 of 592 Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 AM

Thanks! Yeah I have to compare your list to mine. Here's the ones I found:

2 94.6 CBS
3 106.1 PAX
4 94.7 NBC
5 94.1 FOX
6 106.5 Univision
7 94.2 ABC
8 112.1 ShopNBC
9 94.5 UPN
10 105.6 HSN
11 94.3 WB
12 105.8 QVC
13 94.4 PBS
14 121.1 WLNY 55/10
15 106.4 NJN
16 n/a WRNNDT
17 106.7 Telemundo
18 106.3 TeleFutura
19 106.6 WMBC
20 105.9 ABC Family
21 106.2 WLIW-21
22 105.2 C-SPAN
23 105.3 C-SPAN2
24 106.9 Lifetime
25 106.8 PBS 25
26 115.6 YES
27 115.4 ESPN
28 112.9 ESPN Classic
29 107.5 ESPN News
30 115.5 ESPN 2
31 121.4 MSG
32 121.3 Fox Sports
33 101.2 SNY
34 121.5 TNT
35 105.4 AMC - American Movie Classics
36 107.2 TCM - Turner Classic Movies
37 107.1 FMC - Fox Movie Classics
38 105.1 WE - Womens Entertainment
39 107.4 Bravo
40 105.5 Galavision
41 105.7 Weather Channel
42 88.1 TV Guide
43 107.1 TBS
44 107.6 USA
45 88.3 WGN Sports
46 115.8 CNN
47 112.8 CNN Headline News
48 112.3 National Geographic Channel
49 121.6 Bloomberg News
50 121.9 CNBC
51 121.8 MSNBC
52 121.7 Fox News Channel
53 111.1 Disney Channel
54 115.7 Nickelodeon
55 88.4 TV Land
56 115.9 Cartoon Network
57 115.1 A&E
58 93.1 AZN TV
59 112.1 History Channel
60 107.3 Discovery Channel
61 105.1 The Learning Channel
62 88.7 Oxygen
63 88.5 Food Network
64 88.6 HGTV
65 112.4 Travel Channel
66 112.7 Sci-Fi Channel
67 107.9 Comedy Central
68 107.8 E!
69 107.7 FX
71 121.2 MTV
72 115.3 VH-1
73 112.2 CMT
74 106.1 BET
75 112.5 Court TV
76 115.2 Spike TV
77 112.6 Animal Planet
78 118.9 CUNY
79 118.1 OTB
80 118.2 Metro
81 118.3 OTB
82 118.4 NYC TV
83 118.5 MNN
84 118.6 MNN
85 118.7 MNN
86 118.8 MNN
149 111.6 Toon Disney (JETIX)
172 108.4 Fine Living
503 134.9 Toon Disney
508 134.1 History Channel Espanol
702 122.4 CBS HD
704 130.1 NBC HD
705 130.2 Fox HD
707 131.1 ABC HD
711 119.2 WB HD
713 131.2 PBS HD
734 101.1 YES HD

Man I wish I had G4 and speed channel though. I'll have to wait for my building to renegotiate the upgrade to the digital boxes since I'm too cheap to pay the rental fee (which IMO is ridiculous)

Also how you like that PCI ATSC tuner and mythbox? I was thinking of building one myself using my old desktop...
post #111 of 592 Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 AM

muevelonyc -

Thanks for posting your full list. Maybe I can finally nail down those few channels I'm missing.

I like the HD-3000 card. After realizing that their instructions were written for some weird linux distribution, I figured out how to get it running really smoothly in Fedora Core 5. After building a channel list, I only had trouble with WNBC-DT/WNYW-DT - they are on the same frequency and the card was a little picky about PIDs. Picture quality from HD stations is awesome. The other QAM stations are blah, but that's because of RCN's compression and the upres to an HD monitor. Unfortunately, the HD-3000 has been replaced by the HD-5500. I have one on order and I'll let you know how it goes when I get it installed.

MythTV is awesome if (BIG IF) you have the time to play with it. Getting a hardware and software combination that works can be a nightmare. I started over 3 times and tried 3 different video cards before I got something stable. If you're getting into MythTV, I recommend either a packaged distro/install combination or that you really know something about linux. That said, MythTV's interaction with RCN's DCT-6200 cable box is awesome and really easy. A single firewire cable links the cable box to my computer and MythTV handles all the channel changes and captures. Best of all, the ugly on-screen menus from the DCT-6200 are not on the firewire output.
post #112 of 592 Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post

muevelonyc -

Thanks for posting your full list. Maybe I can finally nail down those few channels I'm missing.

I like the HD-3000 card. After realizing that their instructions were written for some weird linux distribution, I figured out how to get it running really smoothly in Fedora Core 5. After building a channel list, I only had trouble with WNBC-DT/WNYW-DT - they are on the same frequency and the card was a little picky about PIDs. Picture quality from HD stations is awesome. The other QAM stations are blah, but that's because of RCN's compression and the upres to an HD monitor. Unfortunately, the HD-3000 has been replaced by the HD-5500. I have one on order and I'll let you know how it goes when I get it installed.

MythTV is awesome if (BIG IF) you have the time to play with it. Getting a hardware and software combination that works can be a nightmare. I started over 3 times and tried 3 different video cards before I got something stable. If you're getting into MythTV, I recommend either a packaged distro/install combination or that you really know something about linux. That said, MythTV's interaction with RCN's DCT-6200 cable box is awesome and really easy. A single firewire cable links the cable box to my computer and MythTV handles all the channel changes and captures. Best of all, the ugly on-screen menus from the DCT-6200 are not on the firewire output.

oh shoot that's sick you can do it over firewire. Yeah, after watching LOST yesterday for the first time in true HD, I was totally blown away, especially with the leaves. Having a way to record them for when I'm not home for work in HD would really make me happy. LOL Watching episodes from NTSC analog or ABC's website just doesn't give it justice.

As for the list no problem. I mainly made it for myself so I could look down on a piece of paper and know where to go isntead of flipping around. If u find any that I missed or find new channels in the future let me know and I'll update it. I have it in a nice excel spreadsheet if you want it.
post #113 of 592 Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Moving into a new building.. can pick either RCN or TWC -- anyone tried both, switched from one to the other who could compare service/quality/pricing?

this would be for HD cable with DVR box fyi..
post #114 of 592 Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.nytvchoice.com/

post #115 of 592 Old 07-14-2006, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrain View Post

Moving into a new building.. can pick either RCN or TWC -- anyone tried both, switched from one to the other who could compare service/quality/pricing?

this would be for HD cable with DVR box fyi..

Tried both, simultaneously at times. Kept RCN for a while because it offers HD StarZ and Cinemax while TWC doesn't, but dropped this year because there weren't enough HD movies on these premiums. Prefer TWC since it has more HD, and indicates it's adding switched video to greatly boost bandwidth availability--even though it now claims not enough for some new HD channels.

RCN provided slightly better resolution in 05 with Motorola DVRs, but seemed to be developing more glitches, perhaps from inadequate bandwidth, late in 05. Also, RCN's ~2--100 SD channels were analog here in midtown Manhattan, while TWC offers an all-digital option with better PQ. Customer service between the two can be good or miserable at times; no major problems with either here. -- John
post #116 of 592 Old 07-18-2006, 08:36 AM

Did anyone get last night's Yankee game in HD? I thought all home games were supposed to be in HD, but on 734 (YESHD) I got an SD signal.
post #117 of 592 Old 07-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Anyone notice that National Geographic channel has been broadcasting some programs in HD now? Between programs they say "when available" I guess for if thta program was recorded in HD, but its sick when it comes in full HD.
post #118 of 592 Old 07-29-2006, 11:23 AM

National Geographic is on our HD "wish list". The list is always getting longer as more channels start HD feeds. I think we are stuck in limbo at the moment. There are some contractual obligations that keep RCN from adding some stations. I also think they are pushing the bandwidth envelope and don't have the space to add more stations.

The RCN HD Wishlist
SNY HD (supposedly coming soon)
National Geographic HD
Fox's HD Cable Network (begins service soon)
ESPN2 HD
Universal HD
TNT HD (supposedly coming soon, but we've heard that for a year now)
NFL Network HD
MTV HD
The Movie Channel HD (already available in other markets)
Wealth TV
INHD (probably will never happen as it is owned jointly by Time Warner and Cox)
MSG HD/Fox Sports HD (probably will never happen as they are owned by Cablevision)

If anyone can think of any others, please chime in.
post #119 of 592 Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 PM

lol they should just nuke all those 125.xx music channels. No one ever uses them. LOL Also in 2008 they'll finally be able to ditch the analog 2-88 channels and use those for digital.
post #120 of 592 Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 PM

Simple and stupid question. My gf has basic RCN cable for her apartment. I bought her a plasma tv, but she doesn't want to upgrade to Digital unless she has to (budget is tight as a student).

She has the new Panasonic 42 Plasma with the qAM tuner, but it does not pick up any of the "700" range HD channels. In fact, she gets nothing above channel 90 but she does get all the expanded basic stuff like CNN/ESPN, etc.

Is there a setting that we are not configuring right? I have done several program scans on the Panny but it just says channel not available.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page