San Diego, CA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1096 Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
did a quick search on the FCC website and channel 7 did not come up, just 55 and 8.

according to this article

http://www.sbe36.org/index.php?optio...d=211&Itemid=1

Quote:
KFMB-DT 7 will initially sign on with only 47 kW ERP from a new Harris CD Platinum VHF transmitter. After they retire the Comark channel 55 transmitter, they will install additional PA cabinets to bring the ERP to 140 kW maximum from the easterly lobe. When they move to channel 8 next year, the antenna will be rotated to place the null toward the ocean, and used only as a standby. They will use the older top-mounted omni-directional slot antenna as primary. At that time, power will settle at 14.9 kW ERP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1096 Old 03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It sounds like that is all out the window now. From what I've been reading, I wouldn't be surprised to find them broadcasting at 5kW (or less) on 7 right now. They had been running at 14kW.

I checked KABC 7 before and after KFMB's move and did not notice any difference in quality, though it wasn't that great to begin with. However, my house has 2+ edges to KFMB. I can receive KFMB 8 only when there are tropo events and even then not very well.
post #453 of 1096 Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I live in coastal Encinitas, about 1 block from the ocean. I have a large PURE GLASS (no lead) window facing north, with a clear shot to Mt. Wilson. It is right next to my Sony Bravia, so a very short length of coax would be needed. My question: Do I have ANY chance of receiving LA based (Mt. Wilson) UHF DT stations with a ChannelMaster 4228 placed inside of this window? The 4228 claims to have "good" upper VHF (7-13) reception as well. BTW, a large 3-story building blocks interference from Mt. Woodson and Mt. Soledad. Do I stand a chance? Thanks.
post #454 of 1096 Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Time Warner Cable Launches More HD Channels In San Diego
Cable Operator Adds Six High-Definition Channels To Southern California Lineup
By Larry Barrett -- Multichannel News, 4/4/2008 3:29:00 PM

Time Warner Cable Friday announced it will add six new high-definition channels for subscribers in San Diego County, effective Tuesday, April 8.

The new channels include: CNN HD, channel 726; Discovery HD, channel 743; Animal Planet HD, channel 764; Food Network HD, channel 751; HGTV HD, channel 753 and The Learning Channel HD, channel 755.

By increasing our HD channel offerings, Time Warner Cable ensures customers can get the most out of their HDTVs and watch what they want, when they want, in HD, Marc Farrar, vice president of public affairs for TWC's San Diego division, said in a statement.

Time Warner Cable is poised to add even more HD channels to our lineup this year, and we'll continue to deliver more highly requested HD choice to San Diego County customers, he added.

With the addition of the new HD channels, Time Warner Cable now offers more than 30 networks in high definition throughout the region.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leID=CA6548068
post #455 of 1096 Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
SDUNION advert leaves out CNN-HD from the above list...no begin date...and
"not all channels in all areas" found in the very tiny footnote.

TWC-SD website only lists CNN-HD & DISC-HD from above list but
ADDS HIST-HD & LMC-HD. Begin date is listed as Tuesday, 8 April.

That makes a TOTAL of EIGHT new HD channels if a particular area gets ALL of them....

How confusing can you get....
Oh, right, it's Time Warner Cable's dysfunctional customer service group peeking
out from beneath their mushrooms....to share their....um....announcements....
post #456 of 1096 Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
SD Cox is adding SciFi HD. They are giving a free priview starting today. See quote below:

Latest HD additions
We are pleased to announce that a special preview of Sci Fi Channel HD will be available this Friday, April 4th, to customers in most areas* on channel 763 (along with 14 other recent HD channel additions) with minimum of Cox Standard Cable service and HD service...and many more of the HD channels you asked for on the way!

Be seeing you!
post #457 of 1096 Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

SD Cox is adding SciFi HD. They are giving a free priview starting today. See quote below:

Latest HD additions
We are pleased to announce that a special preview of Sci Fi Channel HD will be available this Friday, April 4th, to customers in most areas* on channel 763 (along with 14 other recent HD channel additions) with minimum of Cox Standard Cable service and HD service...and many more of the HD channels you asked for on the way!

Does anyone know whether or not these were "Clear-QAM" ??
post #458 of 1096 Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the added HD channels are "subscription", which require a cable card or HD cable box.

Be seeing you!
post #459 of 1096 Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 795
They're all in the expanded basic tier. One wonders what they mean by "Free Preview", though. Anyone who isn't paying for Sci Fi probably wouldn't have the equipment to receive an expanded basic digital channel unless they put it on the wire unencrypted (though many TiVo S3 and TiVo HD expanded basic subs take CableCARDs just to get channel mappings for the clear QAM channels).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #460 of 1096 Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I live in coastal Encinitas, about 1 block from the ocean. I have a large PURE GLASS (no lead) window facing north, with a clear shot to Mt. Wilson. It is right next to my Sony Bravia, so a very short length of coax would be needed. My question: Do I have ANY chance of receiving LA based (Mt. Wilson) UHF DT stations with a ChannelMaster 4228 placed inside of this window? The 4228 claims to have "good" upper VHF (7-13) reception as well. BTW, a large 3-story building blocks interference from Mt. Woodson and Mt. Soledad. Do I stand a chance? Thanks.

I'm also in Encinitas, about 175ft above you; 7 blocks from the ocean. Everything I've seen and read, including Google Earth transmitter coverage maps, shows me in the Violet area for most of Mt Wilson Xmitters with a few exceptions; most notably KOCE (PBS-Hunting Beach, Blue).
Having said that, and having gotten the OTA bug, I winched myself up on the roof and looked at my 800yr old Channel Master behemoth. I realized it was never going to get anything ever again (and it doesn't). I stuck an old indoor bow tie in it's place and bingo, I get most of the San Diego DT stations, KFMB, KNSD, KSWB and KUSI are gone, and some of the LA stuff as well.
My thoughts are to stack a 4228, pointed at Mt Wilson, above a 4221A, pointed at San Diego with a reversed splitter. Interestingly, the tuner in the Pany TV does very well staying locked on but when I hook the antenna directly to my Dish 722 DVR, it A) doesn't find a lot of channels and B) won't stay locked on the ones it does find.

The question is, am I nuts? Also, would I lose too much Db if I re-split the signal back to the TV and Dish?

Suggestions? Comments?
post #461 of 1096 Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajatrvlr View Post

I'm also in Encinitas, about 175ft above you; 7 blocks from the ocean. Everything I've seen and read, including Google Earth transmitter coverage maps, shows me in the Violet area for most of Mt Wilson Xmitters with a few exceptions; most notably KOCE (PBS-Hunting Beach, Blue).
Having said that, and having gotten the OTA bug, I winched myself up on the roof and looked at my 800yr old Channel Master behemoth. I realized it was never going to get anything ever again (and it doesn't). I stuck an old indoor bow tie in it's place and bingo, I get most of the San Diego DT stations, KFMB, KNSD, KSWB and KUSI are gone, and some of the LA stuff as well.
My thoughts are to stack a 4228, pointed at Mt Wilson, above a 4221A, pointed at San Diego with a reversed splitter. Interestingly, the tuner in the Pany TV does very well staying locked on but when I hook the antenna directly to my Dish 722 DVR, it A) doesn't find a lot of channels and B) won't stay locked on the ones it does find.

The question is, am I nuts? Also, would I lose too much Db if I re-split the signal back to the TV and Dish?

Suggestions? Comments?

I dont think you want to to combine the two antennas since you will most likely get multipath problems by doing that. I would run two seperate cables, yeah I know a pain since you will need to use a switch too.
post #462 of 1096 Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I can pull another RG11... I didn't want to but if that's what it takes. Or a rotor, which I was trying to avoid. The guy at Solid Signal said stacking them is done all the time with a rev splitter as long as they're 4 ft apart and fed with two jumpers the same length... But I can definitely see the logic in the multi-path issue. I'm only 14 miles from Mt Soledad and 10 could be a problem, but if they were in phase via the same length jumpers, wouldn't that be additive?
If there were an auto switch that could be programed, it wouldn't be such a rub. As it is, a lot of what I do is for the DVR when I'm not around...

Any other ideas?

PS: All this to get KCET!
post #463 of 1096 Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can pull another RG11... I didn't want to but if that's what it takes. Or a rotor, which I was trying to avoid. The guy at Solid Signal said stacking them is done all the time with a rev splitter as long as they're 4 ft apart and fed with two jumpers the same length... But I can definitely see the logic in the multi-path issue. I'm only 14 miles from Mt Soledad and 10 could be a problem, but if they were in phase via the same length jumpers, wouldn't that be additive?
If there were an auto switch that could be programed, it wouldn't be such a rub. As it is, a lot of what I do is for the DVR when I'm not around...

Any other ideas?

PS: All this to get KCET!

to clarify, you are using 2 different types of antennas pointing different directions right? seems to me getting signals is phase would be difficult. I just have 1 antenna so I dont have experience combining.

quick google popped up this stacking webstite but he is using the same antennas pointing the same direction.

http://atechfabrication.com/tests/02...cking_test.htm

good luck
post #464 of 1096 Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 PM

"to clarify, you are using 2 different types of antennas pointing different directions right? seems to me getting signals is phase would be difficult."

That's correct... And, I have no idea if it would work. That's why I'm here posting. As soon as the guy from Solid Signal said no problem, we do it all the time, there was something nagging at the back of my neck. Too easy! I'm a HAM blessed with a large stand of Giant Golden Bamboo... You wouldn't believe the antennas I've womped together... They don't always work, however... All the dipoles have tho.

If nothing else, getting a 4221 and playing around with it would get me in the game... Who knows, it just might get me KOCT while pointed at KPBS, you never know.
post #465 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I remember correctly, stacking will get you 3 dB maximum if done correctly. At the expense of a narrower beam width.

A single two way splitter is usually 3.5 dB loss.

I have always received KCET quite well here in San Marcos. (600 feet ASL according to Google Earth). Was using a Winegard VHF/UHF antenna with preamp for many years before digital TV and, more recently, using Winegard HD9095P and Winegard AP-8275 with rotator.

K6RU

99.5% Dark Matter
post #466 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

After really agonizing about it, I finally just put up a CM 4224 with a CM rotor. It's all I need, I get everything I wanted but I discovered KLCS (PBS) in the process which is tantalizingly just sporadic... Amp, pre-amp? More hight? My inner voice is saying "Step back, don't touch it, walk away from the project". But then... If i could just........
post #467 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

If I remember correctly, stacking will get you 3 dB maximum if done correctly. At the expense of a narrower beam width.

A single two way splitter is usually 3.5 dB loss.

Yes, but the 3db gain is an improvement in signal-to-noise while the 3.5db loss doesn't really affect s/n so even though there would be, in effect, a 0.5db loss the resulting signal would still be improved.

Be seeing you!
post #468 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After really agonizing about it, I finally just put up a CM 4224 with a CM rotor. It's all I need, I get everything I wanted but I discovered KLCS (PBS) in the process which is tantalizingly just sporadic... Amp, pre-amp? More hight? My inner voice is saying "Step back, don't touch it, walk away from the project". But then... If i could just........

Do you mean the 4228 (8-bay) or 4221 (4-bay)?

As for KLCS, if that's the only one you want that's missing, you may want to wait. I think they are still recovering from a lightning strike last fall. They should have a new antenna installed by the end of May.
post #469 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM

What do you guys think about adding a CM 7777 pre amp to the mix?

Also, While the guy from Dish was installing my 722 DVR, I couldn't help but notice him using a very plain looking, chrome, compression tool for T&B f connectors. When I asked him about it he said they were cheap (about $12) and I figured I could find one on-line. I've never found a "cheap" one... Anyone have any insight?

Yes, 4228, my mistake... Great news, I'll wait... The crimper question stands.
post #470 of 1096 Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

A Preamp will work wonders in Encinitas to receive L.A......
post #471 of 1096 Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you guys think about adding a CM 7777 pre amp to the mix?

I use one of these with a 4228 and it works great. However, I don't have any full power TV stations within 50 miles, except KVCR, which is behind a mountain.

If your 4228 also needs to be pointed at San Diego stations, I would be concerned about overload with a 7777.
post #472 of 1096 Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM

I'll post when I install the 7777. 10 will be overdriven, I believe, but what the heck... Life's a continual trade off. If it's too much, I'll throw a few splitters into the mix and hook everything up to it. It's the last time I'm going on the roof... ever!
I did find the tool... it's a Skywalker Lock and Seal, $17 at a1Components. I also found a Phillips one for $7.50, everywhere with about $8 shipping.
post #473 of 1096 Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I followed up with KLCS and the new main antenna is to be installed during the week of May 5th. I have asked for confirmation if it is for analog 58 and/or (hopefully) DTV 41. Time will tell when it is actually ready. They have been using auxiliary antennas since October.
post #474 of 1096 Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

I followed up with KLCS and the new main antenna is to be installed during the week of May 5th. I have asked for confirmation if it is for analog 58 and/or (hopefully) DTV 41. Time will tell when it is actually ready. They have been using auxiliary antennas since October.

Thank you so much for your effort... I appreciate it.
post #475 of 1096 Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

A Preamp will work wonders in Encinitas to receive L.A......

Does a 7777 pre-amp do anything if not plugged in?

I'm in Encinitas getting most of the LA channels (except 7 ABC) with my pre-amp unplugged (I only plug it in if I am getting break-ups (rare) using an old 4 bay UHF I found in my attic! It may not be needed.
post #476 of 1096 Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjever19 View Post

Does a 7777 pre-amp do anything if not plugged in?

I'm in Encinitas getting most of the LA channels (except 7 ABC) with my pre-amp unplugged (I only plug it in if I am getting break-ups (rare) using an old 4 bay UHF I found in my attic! It may not be needed.

Just like any other amplifier, when it's not plugged in, it has very high loss
from input to output. What you are seeing is leakage.....

If you are worried about overload, use a LOW-GAIN preamp vice CM7777....
post #477 of 1096 Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Just like any other amplifier, when it's not plugged in, it has very high loss
from input to output. What you are seeing is leakage.....

If you are worried about overload, use a LOW-GAIN preamp vice CM7777....

So, did I make a mistake with the 7777? I hope not, it's arriving today...
post #478 of 1096 Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Anyone got problem to receive OTA ABC10 DTV recently? I am only 4 mile away from the transmitter according to antennaweb, but I could not receive it since yesterday.
post #479 of 1096 Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 PM

their Digital Transmitter lost a blower on the power supply about 8:30p Sunday night
back up at 6:10 PM on Tuesday
http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages...tml?1209596174
post #480 of 1096 Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6554695.html

>>The DTV Border Fix Act, which was co-sponsored by Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), would allow qualified TV stations within 50 miles of the (Mexican) border to broadcast in analog until 2014.<<

It's passed the Senate Commerce Committee. More info at the link.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page