San Diego, CA - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1092 Old 08-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clearly not HD. A night and day difference flipping between the Raider game on KTLA to the Chargers on CBS. Looked like a low budget production.

R.I.P. HD DVD 2006-2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1092 Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Anyone else watch this broadcast?

I was watching via TWC/San Diego.

Soft PQ for field shots - halo effect about players helmets. Macroblocking on closeup motion shots.

Even my kids were asking if this was an HD broadcast.

I hope this was an anomaly and not what will be typical of CBS NFL HD coverage.

Very disappointing.

Erik

Saw the San Fransisco broadcast of the game from their CBS affiliate, KPIX-DT channel 5, on NFL Network HD. Looked very good.

Not sure what KFMB-DT CBS in San Diego was doing, but I can tell you KPIX is a CBS O&O (owned and operated) station, while KFMB is an affiliate station, owned by Midwest Television.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #543 of 1092 Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Game looked like crap on my end too. oh and GO Chargers!

huh?
post #544 of 1092 Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

KFMB-DT now has a subchannel. 8.2 is at 2.80 MBps. 8.1 the main channel is at 15.33 Mbps. So now KFMB-DT will have worse quality.
post #545 of 1092 Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

KFMB-DT2 is actually the SD simulcast of the main channel. Now there is a SD version for all those CECB owners and people with SD CRT's that have a digital tuner.
post #546 of 1092 Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

KFMB-DT2 is actually the SD simulcast of the main channel. Now there is a SD version for all those CECB owners and people with SD CRT's that have a digital tuner.

I think all Digital SD tv/converter box will downconvert the HD channels, no need for SD retransmit
post #547 of 1092 Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Time Warner is going all digital on channels 22 to 71 will go digital starting February. More bandwidth for HD and DOCSIS 3.0. More HD on Demand choices. Time Warner needs to compete with satellite. It's basically the expanded basic tier. Might piss off some people but it could mean better things for us HD enthusiasts.

Expanded Basic customers could use a clear QAM tuner or use a DTA box. Cisco has a DTA and it will be cisco for this reclamation project since TWC San Diego uses Cisco/SA equipment.
post #548 of 1092 Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Non ex Adelphia TWC customers now get Animal Planet HD and TLC HD. Both channels are SDV so a tuning adapter will be needed to view them. More are going to be added by SDV until they can reclaim the expanded basic bandwidth.
post #549 of 1092 Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Does anyone know what happened to CW 6-1 on Cox cable? We have Cox cable limited, no box or anything, using our Plasma's built in tuner, and it picks up all the locals in HD off Cox. Today the CW 6-1 dissapeared, when I dial it in manually on the remote I get "Channel Not Available, No Signal". It just dissapeared. It was working fine last week, not sure exactly when it dissapeared. I still get the CW in analog SD but it looks like ****. Anyone else experience this?

Cox Cable in Escondido.
post #550 of 1092 Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Did you rescan for digital (QAM) cable channels?
COX-SD frequently changes the unencrypted QAM assignments....

For more definitive info re COX-SD, try a post to local forum:
http://hdtv.forsandiego.com
post #551 of 1092 Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Cox moved the XETV (CW) frequency. I just did a scan yesterday and found it somewhere totally different. Plus, UCSD-TV seems to be missing now. Do you still see USCD in your scan?
post #552 of 1092 Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 PM

copen, I'm getting UCSD-TV on 112-12. Could you please tell me what frequency you're getting XETV on now? Channel scans literally take about 20 minutes on my tv (Panny 42PX80U) and once it's over I have to manually go in and rename most of the channels again. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

holl_ands thanks for that link, I'm gonna go check it out right now.

EDIT: Sorry, USCDTV is 112-2 not 112-12.
post #553 of 1092 Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM

USCDTV: 112-2
XETVDT: 79-3

I can't get the actual frequencies, but it appears that XETV may have been on a different subchannel of 79 before, I don't remember. I'm getting both channels fine now that I've rescanned, and properly named these two channels.

On OTA, my XETV went out some time last week, but came back later. Not sure if that's what also caused you to lose it on Cox, but it's back now.
post #554 of 1092 Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copen View Post

USCDTV: 112-2
XETVDT: 79-3

I can't get the actual frequencies, but it appears that XETV may have been on a different subchannel of 79 before, I don't remember. I'm getting both channels fine now that I've rescanned, and properly named these two channels.

On OTA, my XETV went out some time last week, but came back later. Not sure if that's what also caused you to lose it on Cox, but it's back now.

I have Cox too, and I keep on losing local HD channels out of the blue. I'd rescan, sometimes they come back sometimes they don't. Is this a known issue with Cox? Right now I'm missing a couple of HD channels: CWB, FOX, CBS.
post #555 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucnoi View Post

I have Cox too, and I keep on losing local HD channels out of the blue. I'd rescan, sometimes they come back sometimes they don't. Is this a known issue with Cox? Right now I'm missing a couple of HD channels: CWB, FOX, CBS.

You should come to hdtv.forsandiego.com and report this problem in the Cox Cable forum.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #556 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It may be an issue with "Switched Digital Video". That is a system that Cox has been deploying that only sends the channels out within a neighborhood that households are watching. It requires 2-way communication between the TV receiver and Cox's equipment. TV's doesn't have 2-way capability so a cable box is required to access the SDV channels. I'm not sure if Cox has deployed SDV on all channels in all neighborhoods.

Here is a link to an explanation:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ital-video.htm

Be seeing you!
post #557 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It was my impression that Cox wasn't yet using SDV in San Diego--if they were, I'd think that someone would have reported it in the local forums. TWC's deployment caused quite a splash, with a lot of interest from one of the Cox subs--if he'd gotten any notice of SDV deployment, I'm sure he'd have posted it.

post #558 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You should come to hdtv.forsandiego.com and report this problem in the Cox Cable forum.

Cool will check it out, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

It may be an issue with "Switched Digital Video". That is a system that Cox has been deploying that only sends the channels out within a neighborhood that households are watching. It requires 2-way communication between the TV receiver and Cox's equipment. TV's doesn't have 2-way capability so a cable box is required to access the SDV channels. I'm not sure if Cox has deployed SDV on all channels in all neighborhoods.

Here is a link to an explanation:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ital-video.htm

Very interesting, this sounds like what may be happening.
post #559 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 PM

SDV?! Does that mean that eventually if SDV hits San Diego, I'll lose the ability to receive locals in digital with just my TV's QAM tuner?

BTW, I've done two channel scans and I can't find XETV/The CW. 79-3 doesn't work and it's definitely not at 6-1 where it should be. Gettin real tired of this. That's two episodes of 90210 I've had to watch in analog SD. I called the idiots at Cox and I was told the HD channels were coming "from my TV" and that they couldn't help me because I didn't subscribe to HD. I explained to him that I was getting locals in digital through QAM from but the moron still didn't understand.
post #560 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 06:46 PM

I've been having problems the last few days with XETV/CW6 also. I'm on Cox HD with the SA 4240HDC STB and XETV has been blinking on and off every few seconds.
post #561 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm fairly certain that Cox hasn't deployed SDV in San Diego yet. If they had, someone would have noticed and reported it on hdtv.forsandiego.com.

Even when they do add SDV, I don't think that they'll be presenting the rebroadcast local DTV channels as SDV. It's unclear whether that would be allowed by FCC rules and in any case it wouldn't save any bandwidth, since subscribers on every network segment are likely to be tuned to all of those all of the time. TWC has deployed SDV (you can see discussions of that at hdtv.forsandiego.com here and here). To start with, they converted 45 channels, 25 of which are foreign-language channels and east-coast feeds of things where we still get the west coast ones non-switched. Only 5 of the switched broadcast channels are HD, two of which I had little use for (MOJO and NBA HD). This particularly concerns me because I use TiVo Series3 with CableCARDs and can't yet access the SDV offerings (sometime "later this year" they'll be distributing a device called a "Tuning Adapter" which will give TiVo users access)

post #562 of 1092 Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Interesting about SDV, guess we'll have to wait and see.

My TV (Panny 42PX80U) keeps freezing at 98% on channel scans. I've googled extensively and this is NOT a common or even known problem with my model TV. My gut feeling is that there's something wrong with 6-1 that's stopping my TV from getting past 98%.

EDIT: Wow. Right after I finished writing this, I went downstairs to check on the channel scan I was running and sure enough, it was stuck at 98%. I hit return on the remote and dialed 6-1 out of pure vain hope that maybe I would be able to watch 90210 in HD tonight. It's back! And it wasn't there just an hour ago. The channel scan didn't complete and on my TV, unless the channel scan completes then your channel line up does NOT change because the new configuration isn't saved. Weird. Anyhoo, 6-1 is back for me, we'll see how long it goes before Cox screws up again.
post #563 of 1092 Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I thought SDV was an all or nothing proposition. So are cablecos who employ SDV only applying it to some less popular channels while continuously sending the more popular channels?

To weirdlookingguy - you might try unplugging the Panny for a while (overnight would probably be best) and then try rescanning the channels. I can't say for certain that would work but it may be worth a try.

Be seeing you!
post #564 of 1092 Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I thought SDV was an all or nothing proposition. So are cablecos who employ SDV only applying it to some less popular channels while continuously sending the more popular channels?

SDV is definitely not an "all or nothing proposition"--if it were, rolling it out would render every piece of Unidirectional Digital Cable Ready equipment in use on the system useless for accessing digital channels. Cable companies vary in how they use SDV, but so far as I've heard, no one presents anything close to their entire digital line-up as SDV. Switched video only helps when you have channels that will be unaccessed by anyone on a network segment (typically around 500 subs) for significantly long periods of time. Channels that are always being viewed by someone will get allocated a piece of the SDV pool and stay there; such channels may as well be transmitted continuously. (Apparently the FCC is taking a close look at how TWC Oceanic is abusing SDV due to a large volume of subscriber complaints).

Some cable companies have been very considerate in the choice of their initial switched channel roll-out and some have been draconian. I think that TWC San Diego qualifies as one of the considerate ones; TWC Oceanic of Hawaii put all of their HD channels in SDV, giving an example of what I mean by "draconian".

I personally lost access to four channels that I was using when Time Warner rolled out SDV (The Tennis Channel, HDNet, HDNet Movies and Universal HD); it could have been much worse. Apparently, they're adding VS/Golf HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD, Lifetime Movie HD, Fox Sports HD, and NatGeo HD on October 27th. This doesn't affect me much at all, since the only one of those that I used was NatGeo HD, and that only rarely.

When the Tuning Adapter hits the streets, I'll get access to that stuff back--currently we're guessing that this will be around mid-November. Apparently it's in subscriber beta-test in some markets.

post #565 of 1092 Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Just lost channel 8 HD out of the blue. It's the Chargers game too! WTF! Damn Cox is getting on my nerves..
post #566 of 1092 Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Anyone here interested in a Sony DHG-HDD250?
I have one that i could part with. It is in great condition and i have the box, manual, and remote.
post #567 of 1092 Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

KFMB Coverage Map & KABC Interference

The TV Fool thread got me thinking as to what the coverage area of KFMB actually looks like right now. As I understand it, they are currently operating around 1kW, with a very directional pattern away from KABC.

Attached is a theoretical plot showing the coverage area for KFMB with a cardioid type pattern with a ~13dB null towards KABC.

Also attached is the projected interference of KABC 7 onto KFMB 7.

My thoughts are, from reading the reception problems with KFMB (and experiencing them on visits to SD), that KFMB is more directional than the plot I used and/or are operating at even lower power than 1kW.

Any comments on what I can improve to make this more accurate? Thanks.
LL
LL
post #568 of 1092 Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit hi-rez R-M screen capture to show more detail in SD area (cut range scale in half).
I don't see the effect of Ch7 Cardioid Antenna...should be significant null towards Mt Wilson.
Null would be opposite direction from what you would enter as "antenna beam direction".

==========================================
FYI: Per request, www.tvfool.com now provides signal level predictions for Ch7 (vice Ch55).
It is supposed to include KFMB-DT's cardioid antenna pattern.

Post-Feb2009 calculation was also fixed to reflect planned move of KGTV-DT to Ch10.
post #569 of 1092 Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The nulls can be seen on the plot, but about 45W is still going in KABC's direction on my simulation.

It is interesting to note that Mt. Wilson has LOS to Mt. Soledad.

As for increasing the detail for San Diego, I have not been able to figure out how to retain the calculations if the transmitter site is off of the map. The best I've been able to do is zoom, but that doesn't help the level of detail. I suppose I could just do higher resolution images and crop manually. Is that what you mean?

Perhaps a more directional pattern would be more accurate. I thought that TV Fool's was an estimate as well.
LL
post #570 of 1092 Old 10-31-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, since stations must actually be on R-M display before it will perform calculations,
you must save entire L.A. to T.J. map before crop/resize to avsforum's max of 1024x768.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page