Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1092 Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post

Hey everyone...just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing my issue. This has happened two weeks in a row.

Here's my info:

COX Cable subscriber (HD)
Channel with problem: 705 (FOX)

Two weeks in a row, I have recorded (COX DVR) The Simpsons, Cleveland Show, Family Guy and the audio seems to have what seems to be these intermittent muted portions...they only last about half a second but constant enough to make the shows rather unwatchable.

I'm about 90% certain it isn't my TV setup with the problem, every other program I watch is perfect.

Yes, I have the same problem with the same shows, DVR and cox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1092 Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the post, i'll give COX a shout and see if they know anything.

huh?
post #723 of 1092 Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was reading the Union-Tribune and saw that the FCC is looking to close the "terrestrial loophole" with regards to cable companies withholding regional sports networks to satellite and iptv providers (like COX only distributing Ch. 4 San Diego to COX and Time Warner Customers and not Dish Network, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse customers. Same goes for Comcast withholding Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia from the same Dish, DirecTV). Hopefully the FCC actually gets this done as opposed to just merely talking about it.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-padres-games/

And the FOUL!
post #724 of 1092 Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Norma Sloane had been looking forward for weeks to watch the trial of an alleged baby murderer on TruTV. But when she turned on her television on Christmas, the channel was gone.

"I watched that program all the time for years," said Sloane, 86, a retired chef who lives in Cardiff. "I had to cut out some stations because of money. Now I understand I'd have to pay for a box."

On Dec. 9, Time Warner Cable in San Diego and Riverside counties recoded the transmission of TruTV, ABC Family, Travel Channel, Country Music Television, Shop NBC and C-SPAN 2 so that all customers would need a digital set-top box that costs $100 a year. Customers who connected their TVs directly to the wall lost those channels.

Time Warner spokesman Marc Farrar said the company made the change to make better use of bandwidth.

"For customers with cable boxes, they've received 25 new HD channels, and a bunch of other channels along the way," he said.

Time Warner sent letters to customers in early November informing them of the change.

The letter also said that Time Warner was engaging in an industry practice no different from DirecTV and others. But Steve Mosher, senior manager for video products for Cox Communications, said his company hasn't made any switches like this, nor does it intend to.

Time Warner will provide the required set-top box for free for a year, a $100 value, Farrar said. At the end of the year, people can pay or return it.

Sloane said there would be no point in taking the box, even for a year for free.

"That's not the point," she said. "The point is, I don't want the box. It's a shame, because I really enjoy that show."

Farrar said there are no plans to move any additional channels this year.

Consumer advocates such as the Utility Consumer Action Network said Time Warner's move is becoming common.

"It is the current strategy used by many retailers (in a host of consumer services) that try to circumvent customers' anger about rate increases by offering modifications that cost more without having to admit they've raised their rates," Michael Shames, UCAN's executive director, said in an e-mail. "Clever, perhaps. Nasty, most definitely."

Call staff writer Eric Wolff at 760-740-5412.

Posted in Business on Monday, December 28, 2009 4:05 pm Updated: 4:35 pm.
http://www.nctimes.com/business/arti...40bceb87f.html
post #725 of 1092 Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm about to move from Cox territory (La Mesa) to TWC (University City). Will TWC allow me to continue receiving local stations through unencrypted QAM? I'm presently using a Tivo S3 with Cox basic cable.
post #726 of 1092 Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yes, TWC-SD carries Local HD channels (705-712+716) as unencrypted QAM,
but you need to subscribe to (at least) "Local Basic" ($13.77/mo):
http://www.timewarnercable.com/sandi...espricing.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/sandi...t/clu/clu.ashx
Click on "ALL" to deselect all channels and then click on "LOCAL BASIC".
TWC-SD Bundles:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanDi...s/default.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #727 of 1092 Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think TWC customers should be getting more HD this year plus the IPG should be getting some major enhancements.
post #728 of 1092 Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

I think TWC customers should be getting more HD this year plus the IPG should be getting some major enhancements.

Can you elaborate?
post #729 of 1092 Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.timewarnercable.com/sandi...galnotice.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/deser...galnotice.html

XHDTV, XHAS, KBNT, and KDTF will all go HD according to TWC and Entravision is looking at all available sources to maximize the viewers.
post #730 of 1092 Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

ODN v3.2.0_15 is coming on Thursday, at some odd hour in the morning. So if you have any recordings at 12-6AM then they might be messed up since it seems to be a major update. It will update a bunch of components adds a slight improvement to the search, and it removes the Sort by favorites option.
post #731 of 1092 Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
CNET News
Updated at 3:20 p.m. PST with Cablevision comment.

The Federal Communications Commission Wednesday voted to close a "loophole" that allowed cable operators to withhold local sports programming from competitors.

In a 4-1 vote, the commissioners ended the "terrestrial loophole," which prevents satellite TV providers and new TV providers, such as AT&T and Verizon Communications, from offering some live sports channels in certain areas of the country. These companies say they have had a competitive disadvantage, because they have not been able to offer this content.

Cable companies are required by federal law to offer access to channels that they own to competitors at reasonable rates. But the law only requires them to do this for video feeds that are distributed via satellite. Channels that are transmitted locally on terrestrial cable infrastructure are exempt from the law.

The issue over the loophole has heated up in recent years as phone companies, such as AT&T and Verizon, enter the TV market.

DirecTV and Dish Network have complained for years that they have been shut out from offering local Philadelphia sports because the local channel carrying those games, SportsNet, is owned by Comcast.

And Verizon filed a complaint last year with the FCC arguing that that Cablevision was withholding a high-definition version of a channel in New York that shows New York Knicks and Rangers games. Verizon competes directly with Cablevision for broadband, phone, and TV customers in this region.

"Consumers who want to switch video providers shouldn't have to give up their favorite team in the process. Today the commission levels the competitive playing field."

--FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski

Last year, AT&T also filed a complaint against Cox Communications, claiming the cable company refused to sell it access to San Diego Padres games. AT&T argues that Cox, which competes directly with AT&T in parts of San Diego, has made these game available to another cable operator in the same region that does not compete directly with Cox in this market.

The new regulation closes this program access loophole and will force cable operators to sell sports content to competitors.

Verizon applauded the FCC's decision.

"This is a big-time victory for television sports fans," Kathleen Grillo, Verizon's senior vice president of Federal Regulatory affairs, said in a statement. "This ruling means that consumers will no longer have to stick with their incumbent cable provider in order to watch local teams in high definition."

Meanwhile, Cablevision expressed its dissatisfaction with the decision.

"While we find the legal basis for the decision unfounded, we are pleased that the FCC recognized the value of Cablevision's local programming strategy and investments," Cablevision said in a statement. "If the phone companies complain that they are unable to compete, we are confident that we can prove that it is for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with HD sports programming."

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said the commission's actions will promote competition, which ultimately benefits consumers.

"The loophole gives free reign to cable-TV operators to lock up local sports events and other popular programming and withhold them from rival providers," he said in a statement. "Consumers who want to switch video providers shouldn't have to give up their favorite team in the process. Today the commission levels the competitive playing field."

The measure could still be challenged in court. Many experts have questioned the FCC's authority to close the loophole. One of the FCC's Republican commissioners, Robert McDowell, voted against the proposal, stating that he sympathized with his fellow commissioners' intent, but he said he felt the FCC did not have the legal authority to interpret the regulation as it has in this order.

"The order oversteps the language and structure [of the statute]," he said in his written dissent.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10438235-266.html
post #732 of 1092 Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Yes, TWC-SD carries Local HD channels (705-712+716) as unencrypted QAM, but you need to subscribe to (at least) "Local Basic" ($13.77/mo):

Thanks, I'm almost all setup now. My Tivo setup prompted me to select a carrier and I chose "Time Warner" but then that only configured the analog channels (1-99). So I did a full channel scan and it found most of the digital channels, too. But I'm still missing TBS-HD and WGN-HD (as well as some of the other misc digital channels). I assume that they're 'there' but the Tivo scan found about 100 additional 'channels' which it was unable to idenitfy and which it would take me probably an hour to activate, then review, then deactivate.

Can someone tell me what the raw channel numbers are for these channels, e.g. "102.12" or whatever? Any help would be appreciated!
post #733 of 1092 Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Today my (MDN) DVR sez:
TBS-HD, 591 MHz, so 85.2002 (Clear: CCI=0)
WGN-HD 549 MHz, so 78.2003 (Encrypted: CCI=2)

Different QAM tuners may treat the SCR # differently, such as
85.2, 85.002 or 85.1002. YMMV....

CCI is the last, bottom entry on Diagnostic page 28 (MDN).
I start a recording to tie up one of the tuners and then read out
FREQ on page 5/6 (whichever is changing) and SVC on page 23.

ODN Diagnostic page numbers may be different....

and
and

post #734 of 1092 Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

Thanks, I'm almost all setup now. My Tivo setup prompted me to select a carrier and I chose "Time Warner" but then that only configured the analog channels (1-99). So I did a full channel scan and it found most of the digital channels, too. But I'm still missing TBS-HD and WGN-HD (as well as some of the other misc digital channels). I assume that they're 'there' but the Tivo scan found about 100 additional 'channels' which it was unable to idenitfy and which it would take me probably an hour to activate, then review, then deactivate.

Can someone tell me what the raw channel numbers are for these channels, e.g. "102.12" or whatever? Any help would be appreciated!

FCC regs allow cable providers to copy-protect and encrypt any channel except for the "local basic" ones; by those rules, WGN America HD shouldn't be copy-protected--if the channel matters to you you might want to complain to TWC about that. (47CFR76.630(a) states, "Cable system operators shall not scramble or otherwise encrypt signals carried on the basic service tier").

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #735 of 1092 Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Finally ready to dump cable. wanted to know if anyone is using a small over the air attic hd antenna? What would you recommend?

Andy
post #736 of 1092 Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Lots of people use indoor or attic antennas....when signals & antenna are "strong" enough.

You need to enter your location into www.tvfool.com and then copy/paste
results URL (web address at top of browser) so we know your signal strengths.
Do you want English only, Spanish only or both??? What about L.A. stations???

Also describe nearby buildings, trees, etc that could block signals and what
kind of construction is used in the roof, esp if it has foil backing on insulation.

and
and

post #737 of 1092 Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM

I need to have 3 posts before I can paste a url. Spanish stations are optional, I live on a small hill, residential neighborhood some trees around but nothing major. have a 2 story home, thinking of putting the antenna in the attic above the garage?
post #738 of 1092 Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Is there anyone out there who is in Escondido and is using over the air antenna?
post #739 of 1092 Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpar View Post

Is there anyone out there who is in Escondido and is using over the air antenna?

You might look at hdtv.forsandiego.com. That is a forum devoted to SD area and has an active OTA section.

99.5% Dark Matter
post #740 of 1092 Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Generic instructions for your city for an outdoor antenna setup and based solely on distances and channels in use would be a small high-VHF antenna pointed at La Jolla and a short-medium range UHF antenna pointed at El Cajon.

Specific recommendations depend first on your exact location (need that TVfool info...) and, secondly, the construction materials used in your attic, roofing, and gables (if present).

An exact recommendation may vary greatly if intervening terrain or construction materials are forecast to significantly weaken your available signals.
post #741 of 1092 Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

Here is the mapping of available stations.
post #742 of 1092 Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the TVFool data entry page.
Copy/Paste the URL....AFTER you enter data and see the results.

PS: San Miguel is SE of Spring Valley....not El Cajon...

and
and

post #743 of 1092 Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

That's the TVFool data entry page.
Copy/Paste the URL....AFTER you enter data and see the results.

PS: San Miguel is SE of Spring Valley....not El Cajon...

San Miguel is south and a little east of El Cajon.

LOS from downtown Escondido to San Miguel passes directly over downtown El Cajon... See a map.
post #744 of 1092 Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM

post #745 of 1092 Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me try that again:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c7234cd08760b4

For outdoors--

Your San Miguel stations have an excellent forecast. The two from near La Jolla are blocked somewhat by terrain.

For 8 & 10, I'd try a 5-element high-VHF Yagi or a C5 from Antennas Direct.

For the rest, a short range UHF-only Yagi like a 42XG or a 4-bay UHF should be fine.

UVSJ, etc.....

Attic? Pot luck.
post #746 of 1092 Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM

I've decided to go roof mount. What about a Winegard Hd7084P?
post #747 of 1092 Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've decided to go roof mount. What about a Winegard Hd7084P?

Nope. You have no channels that transmit on 2-6 so the 7084 is a lot of wasted metal.

Since your two transmitter sites are separated by almost 40 degrees and each has only UHF and only high VHF transmitters, separate band antennas would be the optimum.

If you try a 7-69 antenna, (the WG 769x series or A-C HBU-series, for example), you have to split the difference between the aiming points and neither band's reception would be optimal. I suspect it would work anyway, but the angles are such that you'd potentially loose the ability to control multi-path should it be required. You'd have to try it and make sure it works.

If you want to try something you can get locally, drop by Radio Shack and see if they have an AntennaCraft HBU22 (a little small..) or an HBU33.
post #748 of 1092 Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM

thanks for your help!
post #749 of 1092 Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone located around 42nd and Lomo Del Sur in LaMesa, or in zip code 91941, that can describe your OTA reception and setup?

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #750 of 1092 Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Anyone located around 42nd and Lomo Del Sur in LaMesa, or in zip code 91941, that can describe your OTA reception and setup?

I used to live off 70th in La Mesa 91941. I had two antennas connected by a UHF/VHF splitter (combiner). I bought the splitter at SolidSignal.com I think? The VHF antenna was aimed NW at Mt Soledad and the UHF antenna (Channelmaster 4221?) was aimed SE at Mt Wilson(?). The UHF/VHF splitter acted to prevent the 2 antennas from interfering with one another.

My reception was great for everything except 8 and 10 (the VHF stations). They really screwed it up, in my opinion, when they dumped their temporary UHF channels and returned to their original VHF channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page