San Diego, CA - HDTV - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You need something really big (and probably ugly) with a good preamp if you're to have a fighting chance. Skip the little antenna at Costco.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hmm, I guess it depends on how "really big" and how "really ugly", I just bought a Roamio OTA, was dreaming big with cord-cutting, but I may have jumped too soon.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Kinda embarrassing, I have about 5 or 6 Coax lines wrapping my house in various forms of disarray; I spent an hour this morning following lines and using colored tape to see where they start and stop. Is there a good "pinging" tool to see which signal goes where, and what the strength is?

Ideally I'd prefer to hire someone to do it correctly, but I haven't found much on my local CL to feel comfortable with them. I tried joing some coax lines that I thought ran from my previous antenna to the tuners, but there was no signal, so it got lost somewhere, or I connected the wrong lines.

I have a Roamio OTA on the way from Amazon, so I need to get this sorted. . .
Old 10-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you checked your address on antennaweb.org? That'll give you an idea of the relative strengths (distance) of stations.

You need an external antenna, simple as that. The small amplified antennas only work if you're getting a 'clean enough' signal to begin with. An external antenna picks-up 10x cleaner than a small inside antenna, and you can still amplify it if needed.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM

Liked: 0
I need some help. I live in Escondido and a few years ago I installed a Clearstream 2V with 20" mast on the eave at the roof peak on the south end of my house. I did little to no research except other than the antenna model was a recommendation from Antennas Direct. The setup up actually works pretty good. I get almost all the channels that I should be getting except channel 10 which is Hi-VHF. Whats weird is I get channel 8 fairly well but sometimes it will drop out. I would say I get 8 90% of the time and 10 5% of the time. Both stations towers are very close to each other. So I'm guessing channel 10 is less powerful. I would like to pull both those stations and have then come in rock solid.

Going back to me not doing research I installed my antenna without properly grounding it, meaning no grounding at all. None to the mast or coax. I found out this is important not only for safety but also for a better signal. So I am now going to move the antenna to the opposite end of my house closer to my electrical panel where the house grounding rod is located. Much easier to do instead of running a ground wire from one end of the house to the other. I brought a taller 40" j-mount mast in hopes of getting my two Hi-VHF channels more reliable. My house is a single story ranch style with alot of mature trees all over the neighborhood. What I would like to know is should I stick with the C2V antenna or will I need something else. I run 2 flat screens with a cheap home depot distribution amplifier and about 125 feet of coax for the whole setup. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51349922f5d5cb

Last edited by DrDon; 04-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar66 View Post
I need some help. I live in Escondido and a few years ago I installed a Clearstream 2V with 20" mast on the eave at the roof peak on the south end of my house. I did little to no research except other than the antenna model was a recommendation from Antennas Direct. The setup up actually works pretty good. I get almost all the channels that I should be getting except channel 10 which is Hi-VHF. Whats weird is I get channel 8 fairly well but sometimes it will drop out. I would say I get 8 90% of the time and 10 5% of the time. Both stations towers are very close to each other. So I'm guessing channel 10 is less powerful. I would like to pull both those stations and have then come in rock solid.

Going back to me not doing research I installed my antenna without properly grounding it, meaning no grounding at all. None to the mast or coax. I found out this is important not only for safety but also for a better signal. So I am now going to move the antenna to the opposite end of my house closer to my electrical panel where the house grounding rod is located. Much easier to do instead of running a ground wire from one end of the house to the other. I brought a taller 40" j-mount mast in hopes of getting my two Hi-VHF channels more reliable. My house is a single story ranch style with alot of mature trees all over the neighborhood. What I would like to know is should I stick with the C2V antenna or will I need something else. I run 2 flat screens with a cheap home depot distribution amplifier and about 125 feet of coax for the whole setup. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51349922f5d5cb
Because this San Diego tread is so inactive, I'd suggest your contact someone on the San Francisco OTA AVS thread via private message, such as Calaveras, for assistance. San Francisco, CA - OTA

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

No worries about inactivity. When he posted, the thread came back to the top.

Because of the location of Escondido relative to the broadcast towers in the SD area, it' usually necessary to do some customization, usually involving the VHF reception element's aim relative to the UHF portion of the antenna. Also, since your terrain path to La Jolla is much more severe that the path to Mt San Miguel and Tijuana, it's often necessary to be far more patient in selecting the height and location of the simple VHF dipole so it doesn't end up in a weakened diffraction layer. Also, if you're using a cheap amplifier in the system, adding an FM trap to its input is highly recommended as the FM stations from Mt San Miguel will be booming in at very high levels relative to the terrain-impaired VHF 8 & 10 signals.

Depending on the age of the C2V you have, it will either have the VHF element fastened to a vertical reflector support (older version) or, if newer, clipped onto the reflector. The version you have will dictate the mechanical steps necessary,

The end result is that the VHF element must be physically disconnected from the reflector, then, using some sort of mast extension (depends on version mostly), raised above the reflector, then rotated about 45° clockwise as viewed from above so it's perpendicular to a line in the direction of the La Jolla. For the 40" J-mount, a suitable length of 1" gray PVC from your local home center is a good start. It's lightweight, fairly rigid, and easy to work with. It will drop right down inside the tube of the 40" mount, is easy to cut to length, and a simple sheet metal screw or two through the tube's bolt holes will keep it from further rotation. For the 20" CJ mount, either use 1/2" gray PVC tubing for an inside the tube extension or 1" if you want to slip it over the metal tube. The gray PVC is strong enough so that the lightweight VHF module can be raised and re-positioned as needed. Do not remount the whole antenna on the extension, you risk equipment or building damage from having that extra wind load applied to something that wasn't meant for it.

You may have to step up to a much larger dedicated VHF antenna aimed at La Jolla as the simple VHF dipole does have its limitations. But, since you already have it, it's work experimenting with.
Zar66 likes this.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Thank you for the info. Love the idea of PVC mast extension. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:12 PM

When you mean grey pipe do you mean schedule 40 or 80? I can't fine schedule 80 in a 1" diameter.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

SCH 40. Used for electrical conduit.

Used in short lengths, it's more than adequate for the stated purpose of extending the mast for a lightweight dipole module.
Zar66 likes this.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Well I got it mostly set up today. Everything is grounded properly and was given the thumbs up by my friend the electrician. So my main objective is complete, my second objective not so complete. I am still having a difficult time receiving the two troublesome hi-VHF stations 10 and 8, 10 being the worse still. I had it mounted on four foot PVC extension above the C2V and got nothing. What's weird is I can get both channels with the VHF antenna five feet off the ground facing the wrong way. So about an hour of moving it around I found I can get 8 and 10 with the antenna about an inch above the roof facing the towers. I temporarily zip tied the PVC mast that I made for the VHF antenna to the metal mast below the C2V. I also added a pre-amp to the system which seem to help. Neither one of my TV's have a signal meter so only time will tell how good I have a lock on 8 and 10. It's supposed to rain this weekend which usually wipes out those channels, so I will have to wait till then.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone up north (Poway area) tell me which, if any, of the stations licensed on Woodson Mountain are actually on the air, whether analog or digital?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Can anyone up north (Poway area) tell me which, if any, of the stations licensed on Woodson Mountain are actually on the air, whether analog or digital?

Thanks!
I'm not at home nor do I live in Poway but I do pick those channels up. KVSD-LD 26.1 and 26.2 is on the air. One channel just is a slide show of pictures of landmarks in San Diego with music playing. The other is a weird kaleidoscope image with music also. Been that way for a few years. There are a few others broadcasting from Mt. Woodson but I don't remember exactly which ones until I get home.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'd appreciate a listing of what's on the air: Virtual channels and call letters would be great. I'm trying to help a customer up in Poway who says he's getting "nothing". Which of course might mean that he's getting nothing he wants or nothing at all. Just need to find out what is actually on the air in that locale.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 PM

KSKT-CD 43
KSKT-CD 36
KTCD-LP 46
KVSD-LD 26

This is what I get from Mt Woodson.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 PM

Anybody in North County San Diego have any luck pulling LA stations? It's something I've been contemplating trying but am not sure it's possible.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anybody in North County San Diego have any luck pulling LA stations? It's something I've been contemplating trying but am not sure it's possible.

Enter your address at www.tvfool.com for stations available at your home.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Any Hope for 8 & 10 behind Cowles Mt?

I moved to San Carlos (92119) on the SE corner of Cowles Mt--is there any chance I can pull in channels 8 & 10 reliably?

TVfool report shows them both as 2 edge.

I can't pick them up consistently from my attic and am thinking of chimney mounting a Hi VHF antenna pointed West and a UHF antenna pointing south. Ideas?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 53
2 separate antenna would be better

Either this one
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2475-/30-2475
or "big brother"
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2476-/30-2476

would work. You can combine them with the combiner they show in the listing as "frequently bought together"
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Tropo Duct Opening in So Cal.

Great duct opening happening for that last couple of evenings here in San Diego. My normal 38 channels I get has increased to 76! I am getting a lot of LA stations from Mt. Wilson and some from the Inland Empire off the backside of my UFH antenna. Pretty amazing considering I live in a hole. Too bad it only lasts until the sun goes down, which is expected. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Merged with San Diego thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Expect some changes to the San Diego dial on or by October 27. Tijuana stations are realigning their virtual channels to conform to a Mexico-wide reassignment. This means that a rescan is in order for your viewing equipment.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
Expect some changes to the San Diego dial on or by October 27. Tijuana stations are realigning their virtual channels to conform to a Mexico-wide reassignment. This means that a rescan is in order for your viewing equipment.
Only two: XHTJB 3.x is moving to 11.x and XHJK 27.x is moving to 1.x (Azteca 13 nabbed channel 1 nationwide).

The others are blocked from moving because their signal contours overlap with LA stations around Oceanside. Since the desired numbers are 2, 5, and 7, that is not happening. XHTJB's unique signal pattern with less power toward North County means it can move. XETV remains on 6 and is now the only Mexican on virtual channel 6 (which has been reserved nationally in the event of a fourth national network).

(And yes, the IFT considers XETV to be a straight up Canal 5 repeater.)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Great duct opening happening for that last couple of evenings here in San Diego. My normal 38 channels I get has increased to 76! I am getting a lot of LA stations from Mt. Wilson and some from the Inland Empire off the backside of my UFH antenna. Pretty amazing considering I live in a hole. Too bad it only lasts until the sun goes down, which is expected. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, in the evenings I've been picking up KCBS from the SE corner of Cowles Mt. I can't even get KFMB.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 AM

New TJ Station

For those of you who didn't see it in the Mexican HDTV thread, XHCTTI Imagen TV out of TJ just popped up a couple of days ago. It's on real channel 33 and and virtual channel 3.1. There are no subchannels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement