San Diego, CA - HDTV - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #1141 of 1147 Unread 12-22-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
A UHF antenna (need suggestions here) pointed to pull in the most stations North/South.
Something like a DB2e or a DB4e should work fine for the stations to your south. There's really nothing coming from the north, those UHF stations showing on your plot don't exist on the air. The reception pattern for both is broad enough to pick up both originating locations .

Your plot says you don't need and that you should avoid any amplifiers. An amp will only make new problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1147 Unread 12-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in San Carlos, 92119 (see TV fool link in my post).

Thanks for verification no amp is needed.

The V/UHF combiner is supposed to have 30 dB isolation between bands (if i'm reading the spec sheet correctly).
The two antennas will be aimed about 111 degrees apart which should also improve the isolation.

I'm leaning towards the DB4e.

What type of separation is needed between antennas?

Which antenna should go higher on the mast?
post #1143 of 1147 Unread 12-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Still on the Fringe. . .

Hey guys:
its been a while since I've been in here, I'm in La Costa, and have a CM 4228 8-bay with a VHF on top of it, and an RCA pre-amp, feeding a Roamio OTA and Mini. Here's my fool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfafd727615668

My reception usually hovers around 50-60%, which is often a tease. I usually have to go on the roof to adjust the antenna between CBS and NBC/Fox, but I "mostly" get the channels I want. Amusingly, the LA channels still come in almost as reliably as the San Diego towers.

However, the inconsistency has been sufficiently annoying that I'm going to force myself to either upgrade my antenna or switch back to cable. I did notice that "wiggling" the cable from the CM to the pre-amp affects the signal, so now I'm wondering if my pre-amp is failing, or the connection is not good. Would also considering upgrading if there is something better out there.

Any suggestions? I have never committing to pointing to the LA stations, since some local programming (such as Charger games) is specific, but would really like to dial in a consistent signal.

thanks for any advice,

Joel

post #1144 of 1147 Unread 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie in Rancho Penasquitos (92129)

Hi Everyone,
As the title states, I'm a newbie to this forum and have recently got rid of cable. I'm currently using Sling TV for ESPN, etc. but would like to pick up some local channels via an antenna.
I live in Rancho Penasquitos (92129) and have my TV Fool link. Unfortunately I don't have the 5 required posts to include the link to it. Guess I'll have to read and provide a few more posts and follow up with a link.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions on what type (brand, model, amplified) of antenna and installation approach others in this area have used with success. I plan to install the antenna myself in the attic but am open to roof mounted since it's a one story house.

Any other advice or links to general info about this topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #1145 of 1147 Unread Yesterday, 04:59 PM
DTS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finding it a little difficult to search what I am looking for in this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.

I'm currently using Direct TV and when the weather is bad, the signal can go from bad to nothing as you all know.
What I used to do was piggy-back off my internet and at least get my locals. I found out through trying this a few weeks ago that this is no longer available. Did COX get wise to this or something? It was nice getting those free OTA channels when weather was bad.
I'm in a bad spot to use an antenna and it's spotty at best unless I use a 500ft antenna to clear hills and trees.

post #1146 of 1147 Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post
I'm in La Costa, and have a CM 4228 8-bay with a VHF on top of it, and an RCA pre-amp, feeding a Roamio OTA and Mini.
Joel, sorry no one else replied, I'll give it a shot.

You are in a difficult spot, all your signals are far away. What happens if you remove the pre-amp from the circuit, does the Roamio receive anything, at all? I ask because it has its own auto-adjusting pre-amp. In my opinion the only reason to use a pre-amp is if you have a really long (100+ ft) cable from the antenna to the tuner.

Your 8-bay CM seems like the best possible UHF antenna. The only other question is if you still have the screen attached, i.e., to make it directional. (The 'screen door' acts as a UHF barrier.)

Also, how are the UHF and VHF tied together, that could be introducing spurious UHF signal.
post #1147 of 1147 Unread Today, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey, thanks for the response, didn't think anyone read this thread anymore. The feed from antenna to Roamio is probably about 80 ft. I do have a signal without the preamp, but it is better with it (I think, if you think it helps, I'll go up and disconnect it, just in case). The screen behind the 8 bay IS attached, I assume that increases the directional strength. . .actually I get almost equal signal strength between LA and SD channels where I am. The last heavy storm we had in Jan, the antenna blew due north, and I had pretty good reception of all LA locals. I am a bit surprised that I can't get stronger signals from ABC/CBS, as Mt. Soledad is not that far. I'm wondering if changing the RCA preamp might help. The UHF and VHF have a combiner, with an FM filter attached.

Either way, I appreciate your time and response ;-)

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception