Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9947 Old 10-11-2004, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just went upstairs to check on the SA 8000HD and had to change the channel to something else and then back to 309 to get a picture or sound, but now it seems to be working OK.

Now I'm checking the 5100 out and had to do the same channel change and back trick. At least for the minute I've had it on now, it seems OK, too.

What's your status now, Jim?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9947 Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I tried the channel swap several times when the problem first occurred, with no joy. (Swapped to the analog Fox channel (9) to confirm it wasn't a Fox network issue, then checked out my other HD channels (which were fine), then went back to 309 and still had no audio.) I checked every few minutes for about 20 minutes or so, and finally during one channel swap the audio came back. Later on it went out again for about 30 seconds during one commercial break, but when that happened I changed channels to 311 then back to 309, and the audio came right back. I had three or four one-second hiccups the rest of the night, but that was it.

One thing I did notice: The first several minutes of the game (the first 1-1.5 innings or so, before the first major audio dropout), I was able to do the "pause-live-TV" thing. I was fixing dinner, and was in the kitchen for a couple of key hits and outs, and rewound two or three different times to see what happened. After the audio outage, I noticed I was no longer able to pause live TV. Thinking it might have been the box being flaky, I tried to actually record it, and though the box gave all indications that it was recording (light came on, program guide showed the game with the red highlight and the "REC" icon in the "Info" summary), I could not get it to play back. (I eventually cancelled the recording, so I didn't let it finish to see what I would end up with.)

After a commercial break with the standard warning of, "This broadcast is the property of MLB and cannot be recorded or rebroadcast without written permission from the league," I finally realized that Fox had probably set the broadcast flag to "Do Not Record". It's odd that it wasn't set from the beginning of the game, and it's also odd that the audio outage occurred about the same time that bit seems to have been set.

I wonder if the two events were related.

Jim

PS: WAY TO GO, ASTROS!!! I was begging, pleading, and groveling for Baggy to hit that homer in the seventh! At long last, Biggio's and Bagwell's bats have actually come alive in the post-season! That Beltran acquisition is looking better every day!

The Cards'll be a tough nut to crack without our star pitchers on the mound in the first two games. C'mon, 'Stros, you've shown what you can do against the redbirds this year. Keep the dream alive!! I wanna see Clemens pitching against the Red Sox or the Yankees!!!
post #273 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to look at OTA and TWC feeds when the audio was acting up and it was the same on both. The problem is coming from the station or network. I also saw what looked like a connection with transmitted flags as swapping channels helped some times but not others. Also during one commercial I got a complete freeze and loss of audio. Lastly, audio was out on DD and analog at the same time.

TerryB
post #274 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TerryB
I was able to look at OTA and TWC feeds when the audio was acting up and it was the same on both. ... Lastly, audio was out on DD and analog at the same time.

Odd. I can confirm that audio was okay OTA while I was having my major outages, because I could hear it coming in via my friend's antenna-fed TV while I was on the phone with him.

When you say, "Audio was out on DD and analog at the same time," what do you mean? My analog channel (ch. 9 on TWC) seemed to have solid audio throughout (I never watched it for long, but repeated spot checks never caught a problem on that channel). Digital channels, by definition, do not have analog audio signals associated with them; which analog source are you're referring to?

Jim
post #275 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

During the game, I switched to OTA because I got tired of the picture break-ups on TWC 309. While watching OTA, I did experience momentary instances when my pre-amp/processor temporarily lost the digital audio signal, but nothing like the various problems I was having with 309's audio, which at various times was gone altogether or at a very low level compared to what it had been.

John
post #276 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JFR0317
...nothing like the various problems I was having with 309's audio, which at various times was gone altogether or at a very low level compared to what it had been.

"Very low level"? You mean, in volume? That's something that makes me go, "Hmm." In my situation, I either had a good signal, or no signal at all--my receiver would show solid lock on a five-channel audio stream, or it would have no lock whatsoever.

I'm not sure how you'd get a very low volume level on a digital signal unless someone at Fox was futzing with a sound mixer, or maybe TWC was futzing with a volume gain control in a digital signal processor somewhere in their shop. The former would have been noticed by everyone watching the HD broadcast, and the latter seems unlikely (and would have been noticed by all TWC HD customers).

Jim
post #277 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Oddly enough...I was having the typical picture breakup during the beginniner of the broadcast...until the audio dropped out. At that time the picture stabilized...and wonder of wonders...when the audio came back, the picture was stable for the balance of the game...even when the short studio "wrap up" came on the air. I don't know who did what...but I suspect that this problem was at 26...and some setting was changed.

Let's see if this holds up for tonight's Redsox-Yankees game.
post #278 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hdguru
...I don't know who did what...but I suspect that this problem was at 26...and some setting was changed.

Well...except that my friend watching the game OTA never had any of the audio or video problems we all did. Aside from a couple of instantaneous dropouts that could easily have been related to his antenna, he had no problems at any time during the broadcast.

Quote:

Let's see if this holds up for tonight's Redsox-Yankees game.

Hear, hear! And please, if anyone sees problems with the signal, CALL TIME WARNER AND COMPLAIN! Let them know you've built an entertainment system and are paying premium cable fees to see HDTV programming, and you don't appreciate a @!#%@#y signal!

Jim
post #279 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, by saying audio at a very low level, I meant that I had to turn the volume on my pre-amp up considerably higher than the level at which it had been set. My pre-amp is a McIntosh MX-134, which shows a numeric readout of what the volume is set at, and I had to raise it from around "30" to "50".

I'm sorry if the things I have reported seem unlikely, but I'm trying my best to describe what was going on. Admittedly, I was trying to pay more attention to the Astros than to the qualities of the transmission. In any event, the picture and audio had less problems via OTA than TWC (at least for me).

John
post #280 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's odd and hard to explain. When I had good audio, I was actually moving the volume around quite a bit; down during commercial breaks, up for the game, up more when I was in a different room, down as it got later and I had pity on my neighbors (I'm in a townhouse), etc. I didn't notice any major change in volume level, but if it wasn't too drastic, it might have been masked by me messing with my own volume.
post #281 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Everyone experiencing problems with TWC/Ch-309, watch some of tonight's baseball game and see if your problem has been solved. Evidently KRIV and TWC engineers worked last night to resolve detail issues that may have been contributing to our picture/sound problems and they think they've solved them...as they watched much of the game starting about the 4th inning, using both one of the SA/DVR boxes and the Motorola 6200...and saw no anomalies.

Hopefully...the problems are solved and we should thank both engineering teams for their perseverance.
post #282 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 10:06 AM

I had a lot of DD audio dropouts last night during Vegas and LAX, it got so bad that I turned up the analog tv volume enough to compensate for the receiver dropouts.
post #283 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everyone experiencing problems with TWC/Ch-309, watch some of tonight's baseball game and see if your problem has been solved. Evidently KRIV and TWC engineers worked last night to resolve detail issues that may have been contributing to our picture/sound problems and they think they've solved them...

Wow--great news! (Can I ask how you came by that "inside info"?)
post #284 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

jruhnke,
I have an 8000HD and an RCA DTC-100 and looked at Cable HD DD, switched to other (analog decode) on the 8000 and switched to HD OTA on the DTC-100 and the audios were all out at the same times. Both the DTC and 8000 benefitted from the channel up and back trick sometimes. This leads me to believe the glitches were from upstream.

TerryB
post #285 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TerryB
jruhnke,
I have an 8000HD and an RCA DTC-100 and looked at Cable HD DD, switched to other (analog decode) on the 8000 and switched to HD OTA on the DTC-100 and the audios were all out at the same times. Both the DTC and 8000 benefitted from the channel up and back trick sometimes. This leads me to believe the glitches were from upstream.

I'll admit that I don't know how many separate audio tracks can be transmitted on a digital TV channel (like, is there an equivalent to the SAP, etc.). Maybe the "Other" selection is actually picking up a secondary track--I don't know.

What I *do* know is that any audio being transmitted with that channel is digital audio. Maybe it's only simple stereo instead of Dolby Digital, but it's still digital audio. There is no such thing as a parallel analog audio track being broadcast with a DTV video signal, either over-the-air or via cable.

I'm surprised to hear your OTA audio was out when the TWC audio was out. My friend who watched the HD OTA broadcast said he had good audio the whole time. I was talking with him on the phone a few minutes into the outage, and could hear the game in the background on his end.

Oh well. Hdguru says TWC/KRIV think they've solved the problem, whatever it was. Let's hope it's true!
post #286 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jruhnke
Wow--great news! (Can I ask how you came by that "inside info"?)

They are confidential sources inside the respective organizations who simply cannot get involved in large volumes of inquiries, e-mails, and individual problems. However, when it seems as if there is some systemic issue affecting multiple users, I try to bring it to their attention in an attempt to put out many "brush fires" at once. Sometimes it takes this little extra "push" to get problems "escalated" beyond the regular Customer Service Reps at TWC...so that the tech team gets the word because it's not just one or two isolated users with unique problems.

Also in this case, there is still something of a learning curve for everyone in regard to Fox's "splicer" technology and how it might affect both OTA and various cable systems.

Again: We should all applaud and appreciate the efforts of a number of hard working souls at both organizations who were working last night to solve the issues at hand. Kudos to all involved!
post #287 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks to the TWC and KRIV people and to you, too, hdguru. I appreciate you taking the initiative to bring the issues to the attention of the right folks.

John
post #288 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, all. Here's another TWC/Fox problem, but this time it's Fox Sports Net (ch 37 on my system).

I only get audio out of the right speaker. This occurs on all three of my stereo TV setups. A TWC tech has been to my house and confirmed that the problem is in the signal at the tap, independent of my house or equipment. He promised to get the problem transferred to the line tech who's responsible for my neighborhood's distribution network.

After two weeks of calling customer service and asking for a status on the problem, the tech supervisor (Jeff) calls me and leaves a message saying that the FSN signal originates as mono and TWC can't do anything about it. If I have a problem with that I need to talk to FSN.

This doesn't pass the "smell test" for me for several reasons:
1) I know many other customers who get sound out of both speakers on FSN. Due to the nature of FSN programming (lots of sports and talking heads), it's hard to tell if it's true stereo (unique L and R signals) or just a mono signal being broadcast on both the left and right speaker channels. Regardless, TWC is transmitting audio data on both channels to those customers, but not to me.

2) If this was the normal situation across Houston, customer service would field calls about this constantly. I've called about 20 times regarding this problem, and have never had a CSR say, "Oh, yeah, FSN is in mono. We get this question all the time." I have had about 5 of them say, "Huh. That's weird. I haven't heard about any problems with FSN..."

3) In this day and age, is there really *any* major network that broadcasts in mono anymore? Even if they did, wouldn't TWC simply duplicate that mono signal on both stereo channels before transmitting it on to their subscribers, just to avoid complaints like mine?

Can anyone out there confirm that you're getting lock on a stereo signal and sound out of both speakers on FSN? Bonus points if you can confirm that the left and right channel signals are actually different from each other.

I'd like to have hard data that either confirms TWC's assertion, or else I can throw it back at TWC to say, "BS. You're full of it, because other customers don't have this problem."

Alternately, if anyone has a contact number for a real person at Fox Sports Net (as opposed to an automated answer line), I'd appreciate that, too.

Many thanks,
Jim
post #289 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are confidential sources inside the respective organizations who simply cannot get involved in large volumes of inquiries, e-mails, and individual problems.

Again: We should all applaud and appreciate the efforts of a number of hard working souls at both organizations who were working last night to solve the issues at hand. Kudos to all involved!

Yes, indeed. Many thanks to everyone involved in the effort that allowed us to watch in HD as our 'Stros made history! I am very grateful.
post #290 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Want solid information on Fox Sports Net's signal? Call their Houston operations center (over on Fournace/Gulfton): 713-821-7500 I'm sure they can find an engineering type who can answer your question.
post #291 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Want solid information on Fox Sports Net's signal? Call their Houston operations center (over on Fournace/Gulfton): 713-821-7500 I'm sure they can find an engineering type who can answer your question.

Thank you very much--that's what I needed. They gave the exact answer I expected: Some programming is mono, and some is stereo, but in all cases I should be getting sound out of both channels if TWC is transmitting the signal correctly.

Now, it's just a matter of getting the message through to TWC.

Jim
post #292 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM

anyone been have firmware 7.15? Just wandering cuz I want to know if the only one who doesn't... and how i can get it.
post #293 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

phatl - I have firmware version 7.15 on my Moto DCT-5100 box. It was installed with no intervention on my part - the box was automatically updated. For what it's worth, I live about a mile north of Willowbrook Mall.

As for the problems on Fox 309 last night, the fix mentioned several posts above seems to be working great for me - zero issues with picture or audio. The Yankees-Red Sox game looks and sounds very good.

John
post #294 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 07:59 PM

Well I found this thread after watching some of the yankees-sox game tonight and wondering why I wasn't getting 5.1 sound. I flipped over to HBO HD and wasn't getting any 5.1 sound there on movies that were supposed to be (Volcano and Bad Boys 2). Anyone else have this problem? I have a DCT6200 and I used to have no problem getting DD5.1.

Also, may be a dumb question but I couldn't find the answer in the manual...how do you check the firmware version? I'm curious to know if I have the Firewire enabled version. Thanks very much.

Jason
post #295 of 9947 Old 10-12-2004, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got good multi-channel sound via my SA8000HD on 309, and have not noticed any problems tonight (though I haven't been watching the game continuously).
post #296 of 9947 Old 10-13-2004, 03:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

utaustin98 - I had no problems getting very good 5.1 sound with my Motorola DCT-5100 box or with my Scientific Atlanta 8000HD DVR.

With my Motorola DCT-5100, which is the predecessor of the 6200, to check the firmware version, you first press "Settings", then select "Setup", then select "Cable Box", then select "Yes" for the "See Configuration" item (by pushing the right cursor button). The next screen should show your version (along with other info). Hope this works for you.

John
post #297 of 9947 Old 10-13-2004, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jruhnke
Hi, all. Here's another TWC/Fox problem, but this time it's Fox Sports Net (ch 37 on my system).

I only get audio out of the right speaker.

The latest: Despite the fact that I have stood in a house in the Galleria area, watched a TV tuned to 37 (FSN) light up its "stereo" light, and pump audio out of both the left and right speakers (I ran the balance between L and R to convince myself for sure), and the fact that I have spoken to an FSN engineer-type who confirmed they ship a stereo signal to TWC, the TWC head-end tech is telling the line tech and the tech supervisor that "FSN only sends right-channel audio, and that's just the way it is."

My neighborhood line tech stood in my living room today and said, "My house does this too. I raised the same complaint to the head-end tech a year ago, and he gave me the same story. I couldn't get him to fix it, either." The home tech who came out with the line tech backed him up, when I told him the Galleria customer didn't have this problem: "No way, man--our Tidwell office, which is on a completely different hub, sees this behavior too. It's Houston-wide."

Their position is that every single TWC customer in the Houston area sees this same problem. When I ask why they don't get lots of calls about the issue, their only response is, "I guess they've learned to live with it." Is that true? Do all you guys out there see this problem, and just overlook it? (If so, do me a favor and call 713-341-1000, tell 'em you have the problem, and ask them to fix it! )

Even if it's true that the problem is with FSN's source signal, I don't understand why TWC isn't on the horn to FSN saying, "Fix the @#$% audio signal you're sending us." No one at TWC will answer that question for me, either.

Sigh...

Jim
post #298 of 9947 Old 10-13-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

jruhnke,
FSN (37) is PCM 48khz here in Luetta / 249 area. Mapping to center audio channel.

Email me an address and I'll try to get you in touch with a TWC guy I know who has been doing wonders for anybody I put through to him.

Good Luck.

TerryB
post #299 of 9947 Old 10-14-2004, 02:55 PM

Ok turns out I do have firmware 7.15... Does that mean all of my outputs are on now? i.e. DVI. Thanks
post #300 of 9947 Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ursa
I have finally concluded my experiments in QAM tuning with TWC. My conclusion is that if someone is looking to use a "clear QAM" tuner, they should save their money....
...Later,
Bill

True, but in my area the F3Q and the panny qam tuner can pick up icontrol ordered movies from twc. The channels are usually 82, 83, 84-15, 14, 13, rarely 12 etc. Very active on Fri and Sat, I may add
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page