Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9948 Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm confident that you have to provide your own DVI and/or HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9948 Old 06-19-2005, 12:48 PM

OK, Thanks hdguru. You must be very confident to double post
post #723 of 9948 Old 06-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
For the last couple of days my 8300HD box is showing the yellow/black HD logo on MAX-E 420 channel on many programs. None actually have been real HD - they all have been 480i from what I can tell. Is this a sign of something coming? I would not mind seeing The Terminal in HD tomorrow morning (ok I would record it).
post #724 of 9948 Old 06-20-2005, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I made the jump from the 8000HD to the 8300HD this weekend. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like the picture quality on analog stations is even poorer than the 8000HD was. I was flipping around on Saturday, and came across some home improvement show on PBS ch 8, and the pic was so bad that in one scene with the host standing in front of the house (so that he was about half as tall as the screen) it looked like the host's face was made up of about 10 pixels. His eyes and eyebrows blurred together into one smeared blackish smudge across the top of his head, and you couldn't even distinguish his nose!

Sigh... I don't understand why the $50 TV card I bought for my PC three years ago has so much better PQ on the analog channels than the SA boxes do. There's simply no reason for the PQ to be *that* lousy!

Jim
post #725 of 9948 Old 06-20-2005, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

jjgriffi,

Good question, I noticed it a few days back as well and was wondering what in the world it was doing on a digital SD channel. I flipped to menu guide to see if they added a Cinemax HD channel into the lineup and had something setup wrong such that it showed the HD logo (used to indicate HD programming on HD channels) up on 420 as well but didn't see anything.

I'd guess that it's in the works but not ready for prime time yet.

CCourtney
post #726 of 9948 Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

I think the general concensous is that poor quality analog SD feeds suck really bad on the 8300HD. I feel it's due to the highercompression used on the SD feeds. Certain stations and programming I've started to go back to the VCR for recording (SciFi - SG-1, SG-1 Atlantis, ...) because of the noise and recording cause it to be painful to watch at normal viewing distances. Otherwise, I watch it real time using my TV to tune. I need to get a cable tuner card for my HTPC so I can record it onto my PC.

Many people do not realize that all video the view from the SA DVRs has already been compressed. I'd not doubt for a second that if you pass the signal to another tuner you'll see better results, especially with the high compression used on the SD signals.

CCourtney
post #727 of 9948 Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Key

I just got HD about two weeks ago and the picture was amazing for the first week. Then the picture slowly worsened and pixelated/marbelized and two days ago none of my HD channels, premium channels, or channels over 100 are working. I've been on the phone with TWC and they are sending someone out on Sunday, but I really wanted HD for Game 7 tonight. Any suggestions?
post #728 of 9948 Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like the signal level has significantly decreased.

This can be a number of things, from spilters dying, inline surge supressors dying, even the cable box itself. It could be something like a cut in the cable line too.

If you have a surge surpressor inline that's the first thing I'd remove, I've had two of the fail and cause the exact symptoms you mentioned.

Next, I'd look to replace any splitters in line as they too can fail and cause signal level loose.

Signal level lose will cause analog channels to look crappy, but they will start by first causing data lose on digital channel (noticable by bad 8x8 block pixels corrupted) and eventially degrade to no image.

Good Luck,
CCourtney
post #729 of 9948 Old 06-24-2005, 08:06 AM

Last night I get home ready to look at TV and what do I notice? The digital channels are out... So, I call Time Warner and hears "Services for the DVRs digital channels are unavailable." Yep, I can not use my DVR to record nor can I look at digital channels. Bye-Bye, HBO, Max, DIY, Boom, etc.. Interesting enough, The regular digital boxes works fine as well as the Hi-Def box, only the non-hi-def DVR boxes.

Does anybody know what's going on? At first I thought they were trying to block us from recording Game 7 but it was still out this morning.

Always Later.....
post #730 of 9948 Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM

I'm also not receving any channels, no analog/digital channels, no HBO, no HD channels, just a big black screen.

My DVR went out yesterday around 5:30pm; Checked it this morning and it was still out.

I planned on swapping boxes (8300 HD) during my lunch break, but at least one other customer is having issues with their box.

What's the latest? Has the problem been corrected?
post #731 of 9948 Old 06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing the may have did an Software Update across the Houston System yesterday.

My 8300HD rebooted around 6pm yesterday, which is usually a sign of them uploading SW, I wish they'd do it at 3pm in the morning instead of the beginning of the highest viewing hours.

CCourtney
post #732 of 9948 Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 PM

I heard that some cable companies will discount customers that leave sat and get cable X amount of dollars per month for 6 or 12 months. Does anyone know if TWC has such promotion for the Houston area?
post #733 of 9948 Old 06-26-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1avera View Post

I heard that some cable companies will discount customers that leave sat and get cable X amount of dollars per month for 6 or 12 months. Does anyone know if TWC has such promotion for the Houston area?

I heard the same thing from a co-worker, but I have not called TWC to see if they offer any such deals.

I'm a long-time Dish subscriber myself, just got a new Toshiba HDTV after my 10 year old Sony died and I'd really like to take full advantage of the Toshis's capabilities.

After reading these forums I'm pretty much decided I'm gonna go with TWC and dump the Dish. I'm really happy with the DVR on the my old Dish 500 box, it's pretty much trouble-free, going on 4 years old, however you can't do multiple channel recording, etc..I just can't see spending the $600 to upgrade to the Dish HD service if TWC can provide the same thing. I can't complain about their Roadrunner..only been down twice in 4 years that I've noticed.

Thanks to everyone who posts here, lots of great info.

-Lyserjic
post #734 of 9948 Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Is there any special difference between the 8300HD and the 8000HD? Right now I have the 8000HD and I was wondering if it was worth upgrading.

Other than main differences (if any):
If I'm recording a show and start to watch it 15 minutes in, will the 8300HD start the recording at the beginning or will I have to rewind from the 15 minute mark back to the beginning? Will my viewing be interrupted when the recording ends, even if I have not caught up to live TV?

With the 8000HD, if I want to watch a show that's currently being recorded, I have to rewind it to the beginning. It also cuts off when the recording is over, forcing me to fast-forward to where I was in the program. This is my biggest annoyance with the 8000HD, and if that's not a problem with the 8300HD, I might upgrade based on that alone.

Thanks for any answers provided! Sorry for the long post.
post #735 of 9948 Old 06-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosSuperfan View Post

Is there any special difference between the 8300HD and the 8000HD? Right now I have the 8000HD and I was wondering if it was worth upgrading.

Other than main differences (if any):
If I'm recording a show and start to watch it 15 minutes in, will the 8300HD start the recording at the beginning or will I have to rewind from the 15 minute mark back to the beginning? Will my viewing be interrupted when the recording ends, even if I have not caught up to live TV?

With the 8000HD, if I want to watch a show that's currently being recorded, I have to rewind it to the beginning. It also cuts off when the recording is over, forcing me to fast-forward to where I was in the program. This is my biggest annoyance with the 8000HD, and if that's not a problem with the 8300HD, I might upgrade based on that alone.

Thanks for any answers provided! Sorry for the long post.

I thought the main differences were one does Hi-Def (8300HD) and the other doesn't (8000).

Always Later.....
post #736 of 9948 Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmump View Post

I thought the main differences were one does Hi-Def (8300HD) and the other doesn't (8000).

The SD-DVR is the 8000. I don't think there is a SD version of the 8300, but I could be wrong. I know that there is the 8300HD which is the newer model HD-DVR. I currently have the 8000HD, (again, DVR) which does HD just fine.
post #737 of 9948 Old 06-27-2005, 03:08 PM

AstrosSuperfan,
The 8300HD is supposed to have a slightly better picture resolution than the 8000HD. I think my SD is an 8300. I'll have to check again when I get home.

ca1avera,
They had it about 1.5 yrs ago. That is how I got cable. It was the first month free of Digital and then 11 months half off. Around ~22/mnth if I remember correctly. Was nice also since I have Roadrunner it lowered my RR cost.
post #738 of 9948 Old 06-28-2005, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Be on the lookout for some 5.1 programming on KPRC (TWC-12). Most episodes of this season's filmed HD programming will be available in 5.1; however, if they run an episode from early this season...or a prior season, it will be Dolby 2.0/Stereo-ProLogic. Don't know about the Tonight Show.

Their system should change formats automatically...5.1 on encoded programming, 2.0 on non-5.1 programs, upconvert, and commercials.

Give them some slack...the system just went "up" and there may be some growing pains.

http://www.click2houston.com/contact/index.html (Check "Programming")
post #739 of 9948 Old 06-28-2005, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

hdguru,

Thanks for the info. It's about time KPRC

CCourtney
post #740 of 9948 Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to clarify, you mean TWC-312, right? (I'm assuming TWC-12 will remain an analog channel until analog channels go the way of the dodo...)
post #741 of 9948 Old 06-29-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes...of course...312 it is. And...in typical NBC fashion...there were no HD shows early, and Tonight was an SD only rerun...and I was asleeep before Conan. To be remedied tonight if their schedule is correct, with 2 L&O episodes from this season. So there should be some 5.1...assuming NBC can find the HD files on their server.
post #742 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm wondering if any of you has had a similar issue to this - Last night I tried to tune the SA 8300HD box on my den system to ESPN HD (Channel 292), but all I got was a screen saying I was not authorized for ESPN H and to call 713-341-1000. I got similar messages for HDNet, HDNet Movies, and TNT HD. I am signed up to receive all of these channels and had been able to receive all of them on this box ever since I had initially gotten it until last night. I also continue to be able to receive all of these channels (including last night) on my upstairs system's SA 8300HD box.

I called Time Warner and was instructed to go through the reboot procedure on the problem box (which didn't help) and then stood by while the CSR tried several things to get the channels active on the box without success. I finally had to settle for scheduling a service call for a technicain to come check things out (which thrills my wife no end since she's the one who would have to stay home for the appointment).

Has anyone else had a similar experience or otherwise have any thoughts on what the problem is? I have a Time Warner store near my house and would be happy to try a box swap if anyone thinks that might work.

John
post #743 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Well...it could easily be the box...and it's simple enough to swap it out...and might save your wife waiting for the tech. Generally...I go and get a new box, bring it home, sit it on top or below the existing one, swap cables, and if it fixes the problem...take the old one back the next day. They will let you do this. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off except for a little time and trouble. Note: Even though they scan the bar code at the TWC store, you may well have to call in to get all the channels activated properly.

Good luck!
post #744 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

Has anyone else had a similar experience or otherwise have any thoughts on what the problem is? I have a Time Warner store near my house and would be happy to try a box swap if anyone thinks that might work.

Yes, I've had similar experiences, but usually it's been associated with a hardware change. When I upgraded from digital cable to HD, I did the STB swap myself, and I got a similar screen and had to call and get my HD activated. When I purchased the HDNet / ESPN-HD tier, the channels came on during the call I made to upgrade. When I swapped STBs to get the 8000HD, I had to call and get them to reactivate my HD channels. When I swapped STBs to get the 8300HD, I had to call and get them to reactivate my HD channels.

In each case, though, it was a simple phone call and the channels lit up instantly, as soon as the CSR rep punched a few buttons.

I seriously doubt this is a problem with your STB. Still, if something's screwed up in the TWC records, you might "flush it out" by going through the box-swap process and then making the follow-up call afterward like I've done several times.
post #745 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 08:15 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguru View Post

Note: Even though they scan the bar code at the TWC store, you may well have to call in to get all the channels activated properly.

Yes,
that is very true. I just picked up a SA 3250HD and they didn't activate my HD pack properly (though HBO was activated properly)

CFC

Signature goes here
post #746 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, hdguru and jruhnke. I'm familiar with having to call in after a box swap since I just finished last Monday swapping out my old SA 8000HD box on the upstairs system for its current SA 8300HD. What I also didn't mention in my first post about this was that the problematic den system SA 8300HD box is a new one which I swapped for about three weeks ago when I had lost audio on all digital tier channels on a previous SA 8300HD.

jruhnke, I have similar thoughts as to yours as to there being nothing wrong with this box, but the idea of making the TWC system get "flushed" by getting a new box seems logical. I'll try to pick up a new box this afternoon and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks.

John
post #747 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

So, it's July First, and as I understand it, cable operators can no longer buy STBs that do not have Firewire interfaces. While I'm sure TWC has inventory of the 8300HDs, I'm curious as to whether/when we will see an 8300HD with a working Firewire port in Houston. Has anyone heard anything on this locally?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #748 of 9948 Old 07-01-2005, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, my problem is finally solved. I took the forum's advice and swapped out the problem 8300HD box, and now everything works great. It turns out the reason the old box didn't work was because when my wife had returned our old upstairs 8000HD box to swap for a new 8300HD on the 27th, the genius at the TWC store on Tomball Parkway had entered into the TWC system that we had returned the downstairs 8300HD box instead. Don't ask me how she managed that!

Apparently, that somehow allowed the downstairs box to continue receiving basic digital and local HD channels but not the 290 through 301 group of HD channels, and I just didn't get around to trying to watch one of those until last night. What I still don't understand is why when I called TWC last night about my problem that the CSR didn't 1) ask for the serial number of the problem box and/or 2) couldn't tell that the TWC system showed me only having one box.

Oh, well. All's well that ends well. I finally got a good CSR this afternoon, and everything's working for now.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

John
post #749 of 9948 Old 07-02-2005, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

While they were "up and running" on Tuesday, there weren't any HD programs until Wed. Both L&O episodes had only center channel audio. Worked with my contact at the station and he couldn't find anything amiss...and my network contact is on vacation...so no help there. Thursday's ER and last night's L&O/Trial were in 5.1...so it must have been a network issue.

However, at least on my end, their channel balance seems way, way off. What works for virtually every other channel's 5.1, is totally unacceptable on 312, so I'm thinking that this issue can be dealt with at KPRC. I had to drop my center channel by about 20% and raise both rear channels by 50% to get anything like the proper balance.

I'd like to enlist some of you to check out maybe tonight's NASCAR race, Sunday's L&O/Criminal and Crossing Jordan, and Monday's Macy fireworks and Medium. I don't know if the fireworks will be 5.1...but the episodic programs should be. KPRC's system is automatic...and reverts to 2.0 when no 5.1 is coming down the line...such as commercials, local cut-ins, etc. So...don't panic when that occurs.

Please post your results or PM me...so if the problem is widespread, I can work with my contact at KPRC to realign their output levels. Sometimes...we all just have to pitch in and help...especially when the technology is still evolving.

BTW: Our NBC network contributor (Programming forum) notes that they will have 2 HD equipped choppers in the air for the Macy's fireworks display, so it might well be worth checking out.
post #750 of 9948 Old 07-02-2005, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

NBC E and NBC W on Directv have the "Countdown to Green" (pre-race program prior to Pepsi 400) on in 16x9 and DD 2.0. TWC Channel 312 (KPRC) is still in 4x3 upconverted.

John
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page