Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

I KNEW I'd find it!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...62#post8857362

In the post you link to
c1courtney posted,

"The SA8300HD only supports 1 week of guide info."

This was using the SARA guide.

I don't think there was a difference in the amount of guide info for the SA8300HD and the SA8000. I upgraded from the SA8000 to the SA8300HD because the disk storage was double.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9953 Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
But ion-man said the 8300 had 2 weeks of programming.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #9003 of 9953 Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think ion-man was wrong when he made that statement. I looked in the SARA thread and couldn't find anything to support that statement.
post #9004 of 9953 Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

I KNEW I'd find it!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...62#post8857362

I'm with RussB...I had an SA8000 for a while, too, and still don't remember ever having more than 1 week's worth of guide data. And all the SA8000-series boxes (SD/HD, DVR/non-DVR) have always run identical guide software in this market (not counting the brief periods where boxes might have been on different versions while an upgrade was rolling out).
post #9005 of 9953 Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM

I have noticed macroblocking on CBS a lot lately with scenes with a lot of action. Is this an OTA deal, I haven't followed the sub channels deal lately, or a Comcast deal. They have tried to cram too many channels in a QAM channel before. I don't exactly trust them. I am in the Pearland area and haven't got the new channels yet.
post #9006 of 9953 Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuto View Post

I have noticed macroblocking on CBS a lot lately with scenes with a lot of action. Is this an OTA deal, I haven't followed the sub channels deal lately, or a Comcast deal. They have tried to cram too many channels in a QAM channel before. I don't exactly trust them. I am in the Pearland area and haven't got the new channels yet.

Same issue in Meyerland. It started Friday and they've reduced the macroblocking, but it still pops up now and then. It also affects whatever is on 511 and maybe 411. Ch-11 is aware, and since you've seen the same artifacts, I will copy your note and send it to my engineering contact at Cc. (It's not an issue...it's a special effect?) No new channels here either.
post #9007 of 9953 Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM

got the new channels in 77505.
post #9008 of 9953 Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Well then they did't go north to south like they said. I live in 77092, 290 @ Antoine and nothing yet.
post #9009 of 9953 Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Well then they did't go north to south like they said. I live in 77092, 290 @ Antoine and nothing yet.

The rollout/conversion is generally moving N to S; however, there are some deviations depending upon where the sub-headend is that feeds the distribution system in your area.

We're in the SW and the DTA's are now operable, but no new channels yet.
post #9010 of 9953 Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguru View Post

The rollout/conversion is generally moving N to S; however, there are some deviations depending upon where the sub-headend is that feeds the distribution system in your area.

We're in the SW and the DTA's are now operable, but no new channels yet.

Same here in 77401 (Bellaire). We have DTA's but no new channels yet. But I was reminded earlier on this forum that the digital conversion is one project and the "world of more" is a separarate project and they don't happen at the same time.

Robert
post #9011 of 9953 Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post
Same here in 77401 (Bellaire). We have DTA's but no new channels yet. But I was reminded earlier on this forum that the digital conversion is one project and the "world of more" is a separarate project and they don't happen at the same time.
I am confused by this post. The digital conversion (removing a group of analog channels and providing DTAs to customers who want them) is needed before the "world of more" (providing more HD and SD channels) can happen. i think they are part of the same project.

The projects that are separate are deploying the new guide (phase 1 has been deployed in Houston) and the "world of more" (Houston has started this, but it will take at least a year before it is complete for the Houston area). Click the following link for more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19605374
post #9012 of 9953 Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if Comcast will eventually support the new TiVo boxes, see the underlined section and the TiVo press release.
Quote:
TiVo updates iPad app, bows new boxes for ops

By CED staff
CedMagazine.com - June 15, 2011

TiVo has enhanced its TiVo App for iPad and has rolled out two new boxes for cable operators.

The TiVo App for iPad, launched earlier this year, enables users to search, browse, explore and share their favorite video content without interrupting what's on the TV. Once found, the user "flicks" the selected content from the iPad to their TV screen.

The new version of TiVo's companion iPad application automatically adds the cable operator's VOD library into the search and browse features within the app, allowing viewers to quickly find a TV program or movie and enjoy it on TV . The app also automatically detects and integrates the operator's branding, linear programming and VOD catalog when connected to a TiVo box provided by the operator.

"Operators are constantly looking for new ways to connect with their subscribers," said David Sandford, vice president and general manager of TiVo's service provider business. "The enhancements we have made to our iPad App help cable operators bring TiVo's innovative user interface directly into the hands of their subscribers, thereby offering consumers the ultimate remote control and viewing on-demand experience. We have only just begun to refine our offering to the operator community and look forward to bringing additional elements to the TiVo iPad App."

On the set-top box front, TiVo announced its TiVo Premiere Q, the company's first-ever quad-tuner gateway STB, and its TiVo Preview, the company's first non-DVR HD set-top.

TiVo Premiere Q serves as an advanced video gateway, while TiVo Preview provides the full TiVo user experience for non-DVR households and functions as a thin-client complement to those using a TiVo DVR. Both STBs support the full integration of operator services such as VOD, PPV, Caller ID on TV and linear programming, plus access to broadband applications and services.

TiVo Premiere Q supports four simultaneous recordings and the ability to view streaming broadband content, while at the same time supporting up to three HD streams over a MoCA or Ethernet home network. It is also the only STB of its kind that integrates a bridge between the MoCA and Ethernet networks to simplify and reduce the cost of installation, allowing the Premiere Q to easily connect to existing home networks.

TiVo Preview provides the same HD user experience as the TiVo Premiere and Premiere Q, and it fully integrates an operator's linear and VOD content with broadband content and application choices. Similar to Premiere Q, Preview includes integrated MoCA and Ethernet for home networking and multi-room applications.

RCN and Suddenlink will be the first cable operators to deploy the new boxes.

"As the first cable operator to deploy TiVo Premiere last year, rolling out a whole-home solution from TiVo is the logical next step for our company," said Jim Holanda, CEO of RCN."

http://www.cedmagazine.com/News/2011...enlink-HD.aspx
Quote:
Press release

TiVo Unveils Full Family of Set Top Boxes for Comprehensive Whole Home Solution

Introduces Company's First Quad-Tuner DVR Gateway and First Non-DVR HD Set-Top Box; RCN and Suddenlink First Cable Operators Planning to Offer New Products

CHICAGO, IL, Jun 13, 2011 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a creator and leader in advanced television services and digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced the next generation of its whole home solution with the addition of robust HD video streaming and two new set-tops to its service provider product family. TiVo Premiere Q, the company's first-ever quad-tuner gateway set-top box, and TiVo Preview, its first non-DVR HD set-top box, will join TiVo's existing advanced television solutions offered to cable operators.

Consistent with TiVo's mission to bring the TiVo experience to every screen in the house, these new products enable TiVo's operator partners to provide a superior advanced television experience to non-DVR households, single DVR households, as well as multi-room DVR households. With its four tuners and support for broad range of video on demand content over IP, the TiVo Premiere Q serves as an advanced video gateway, while TiVo Preview provides the full TiVo user experience for non-DVR households and also functions as a thin client complement to those using a TiVo DVR, creating a fantastic multi-room viewing experience. Both set-top boxes support the full integration of operator services such as Video on Demand, PPV, CallerID on the TV and linear programming, plus access to broadband applications and services.

"TiVo's solution for cable has stood apart in delivering the only offering that fully integrates the operator's linear and VOD content with broadband content and application choices," said David Sandford, TiVo's Vice President and General Manager of TiVo's service provider business. "With the introduction of the TiVo Premiere Q and TiVo Preview, TiVo is extending its advanced user experience and leading multi-room capabilities to provide cable operators a cost effective and highly differentiated solution for every type of household and every television in the house."

Beyond its quad tuners and industry leading DVR features, TiVo Premiere Q brings a number of benefits to operators deploying whole home solutions. TiVo Premiere Q is unique in that it supports 4 simultaneous recordings and the ability to view streaming broadband content, while at the same time supporting up to 3 HD streams over a MoCA or Ethernet home network. It is also the only STB of its kind that integrates a bridge between the MoCA and Ethernet networks to simplify and reduce the cost of installation, allowing the Premiere Q to easily connect to existing home networks.

TiVo Preview completes the whole home solution for operators that can now deploy the TiVo user experience in every room of the home. It provides the same HD user experience as the TiVo Premiere and Premiere Q and fully integrates an operator's linear and VOD content with broadband content and application choices, and immediate streaming access to DVR content from a TiVo Premiere or Premiere Q. Similar to Premiere Q, Preview includes integrated MoCA and Ethernet for home networking and multi-room applications.

"As the first cable operator to deploy TiVo Premiere last year, rolling out a whole home solution from TiVo is the logical next step for our company," said Jim Holanda, CEO of RCN. "We look forward to offering our customers the TiVo user experience, with access to their recordings, RCN VOD and broadband content options on every television screen in the home."

These products will initially be available through select cable operators. RCN will be the first domestic cable operator to offer subscribers the Premiere Q and Preview, in addition to its current TiVo Premiere offering. Suddenlink expects to extend its current TiVo offering through these and other TiVo products. Operators who embrace any of TiVo's three products will now be able to realize expanded whole-home capabilities and the same user experience on every TV. TiVo plans to make both new products available to its cable operator partners later this year.

TiVo unveiled both products during the 2011 NCTA Cable Show in Chicago. For more information visit the TiVo booth #ES-1 located in the main exhibit hall.

About TiVo Inc. Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO) developed the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). TiVo offers the TiVo service and TiVo DVRs directly to consumers online at www.tivo.com and through third-party retailers. TiVo also distributes its technology and services through solutions tailored for cable, satellite and broadcasting companies. Since its founding, TiVo has evolved into the ultimate single solution media center by combining its patented DVR technologies and universal cable box capabilities with the ability to aggregate, search, and deliver millions of pieces of broadband, cable, and broadcast content directly to the television. An economical, one-stop-shop for in-home entertainment, TiVo's intuitive functionality and ease of use puts viewers in control by enabling them to effortlessly navigate the best digital entertainment content available through one box, with one remote, and one user interface, delivering the most dynamic user experience on the market today. TiVo also continues to weave itself into the fabric of the media industry by providing interactive advertising solutions and audience research and measurement ratings services to the television industry www.tivo.com

TiVo and the TiVo Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. Copyright 2011 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements relate to, among other things, the future availability of TiVo Premiere Q and TiVo Preview set-top boxes, including expected functionality, features and capabilities. Forward-looking statements generally can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as, "believe," "expect," "may," "will," "intend," "estimate," "continue," or similar expressions or the negative of those terms or expressions. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to vary materially from those expressed in or indicated by the forward-looking statements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially include delays in development, competitive service offerings and lack of market acceptance, as well as the other potential factors described under "Risk Factors" in the Company's public reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2011, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and Current Reports on Form 8-K. The Company cautions you not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect an analysis only and speak only as of the date hereof. TiVo disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...&highlight=%5D
post #9013 of 9953 Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

I am confused by this post. The digital conversion (removing a group of analog channels and providing DTAs to customers who want them) is needed before the "world of more" (providing more HD and SD channels) can happen. i think they are part of the same project.

The projects that are separate are deploying the new guide (phase 1 has been deployed in Houston) and the "world of more" (Houston has started this, but it will take at least a year before it is complete for the Houston area). Click the following link for more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19605374

You are correct. I continue to be confused by all these changes Comcast is making. (Falls on sword.)

Robert
post #9014 of 9953 Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the MoCA feature would have to be disabled because the cable companies install filters when they use MoCA for whole house DVRs, before TiVo could sell this at retail?

TiVo could require the customer to use an Ethernet Network

Quote:

TiVo Quad-Tuner Premiere Q May Become Available For Retail Purchase

THE INQUISITR
Author : James Johnson
Posted: June 24, 2011

The TiVo Premiere Q DVR, a quad-tuner based product was originally rumored only for cable companies with no plans for a retail release, however new information obtained by Zatz Not Funny via a June 7th FCC filing has us believing that the tuners may find their way to certain retail locations.

According to the filing the company would like to release the Premiere Elite DVR with quad-tuners to retail locations. The filing asks that the FCC waive the digital cable reception only requirement and allow for an analog tuner which would increase the cost of each unit by $80 to $100.

We don't know when the TiVo tuner would be released or at what cost, however if approved it will likely show up at speciality outlets such as Best Buy Magnolia stores.

[via Zatz Not Funny]

http://www.inquisitr.com/117223/tivo...tail-purchase/

Quote:

TiVo Premiere Q Headed To Retail As Premier Elite

Zatz Not Funny!
Filed by Dave Zatz under TiVo Jun 24 2011

Looks like the FCC's possibly antiquated analog compatibility requirement has led TiVo to out the retail version of the quad tuning Premiere Q, that was recently announced at The Cable Show. From TiVo's June 7th FCC filing:

Quote:

TiVo Inc. (TiVo) is prepared to bring to the consumer retail market an exciting new four tuner, all-digital digital video recorder (DVR) that promises customers increased recording capability, increased capacity (300 HD hours), reduced power consumption, and a space-saving design. This device - the Premiere Elite - will provide a new option for consumers that currently can obtain an all-digital DVR only from a multichannel video program distributor like their local cable operator. TiVo already is taking orders for a version of the Premiere Elite from cable operators for deployment later this year to customers served by digital cable systems, but TiVo also seeks to offer it directly to consumers served by such systems.

To bring retail consumers the Premiere Elite, however, TiVo requires a waiver of the Commission's Digital Cable Ready certification, marketing, and labeling rules (the DCR Rules). Under the current rules, CableLabs cannot certify, and TiVo cannot verify, a unidirectional cable product (UDCP) such as the Premiere Elite for retail sale unless it includes ananalog tuner. This requirement made sense when it was proposed and adopted years ago, but today it threatens to stifle innovation in the navigation devices market by preventing companies like TiVo from serving customers that receive all their programming in digital format and have no need for legacy analog tuners. Maintaining an analog tuning requirement for the TiVo Premier Elite would increase production costs and the price to the consumer by $80-100, increase the device's power consumption by one-third, and increase the device's size in an electronics market where reduced size often influences consumer decisions."

So there you have it. Timing would be dependent on a number of factors, most importantly a waiver by the FCC. Also, TiVo acknowledges the challenges I foresaw in terms of sales venue and marketing of a DVR that handles only digital cable:

Quote:

TiVo will market the Premiere Elite primarily to customers that subscribe to cable systems that offer all their services, including basic tier signals, in digital format, i.e., to subscribers to all-digital cable systems and systems that offer a digital simulcast of their analog signals. Second, to avoid any customer confusion, TiVo plans to market the Premiere Elite primarily through its custom install, high-end retail, and TiVo.com channels. Custom installers are highly trained and will verify that customers have all digital service or digital simulcast service before recommending the TiVo Premiere Elite. TiVo also will train its high-end retailers (e.g., Magnolia) to ensure that customers have all-digital cable or digital simulcast service before selling them a Premiere Elite model.

TiVo expects a response from the FCC within 90 days of the filing. Which would give them enough time to get this into retail before the holidays.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/...premier-elite/

Note: There are a lot of comments on the last story and the author Dave Zatz responds to some of the comments.
post #9015 of 9953 Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Looked up my channel listings on Comcrap's web site by zip code and address. They showed all the new channels listed. Came home and did a hard reboot of my SA8300DVR and...

Nothing. Oh well, it is Comcastic.
post #9016 of 9953 Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM

I have been following this forum for a few years, but have rarely written.

Here is a post I just left on the Comcast blog site:

"Whenever I attempt to record two HD programs while watching a third program, I consistently get truncating on at least one of the shows recorded. Every. Single. Time. Not Sometimes but, Every. Single. Time.

I read that you have a fix for this but are waiting for the summer (or later) to install it in the Houston area. Why are you waiting? Can you give a firm date or month?

I didn't switch to AT&T U-Verse even though it is less expensive than you, because they only allow you to record one HD program while watching another show.

Now, AT&T U-Verse is just like you--only lots cheaper.

Please let me know if I should be switching or if you have a firm plan to fix this problem."

The above expresses my frustration and anger at this condition. I can put up with a lot, put paying $200/mo. for service and not getting it....

How do they dare say, "we have a fix, but you can't have it?"

Every. Single. Time.

UGH!!!
post #9017 of 9953 Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey David View Post

I have been following this forum for a few years, but have rarely written.

Here is a post I just left on the Comcast blog site:

"Whenever I attempt to record two HD programs while watching a third program, I consistently get truncating on at least one of the shows recorded. Every. Single. Time. Not Sometimes but, Every. Single. Time.

I read that you have a fix for this but are waiting for the summer (or later) to install it in the Houston area. Why are you waiting? Can you give a firm date or month?

I didn't switch to AT&T U-Verse even though it is less expensive than you, because they only allow you to record one HD program while watching another show.

Now, AT&T U-Verse is just like you--only lots cheaper.

Please let me know if I should be switching or if you have a firm plan to fix this problem."

The above expresses my frustration and anger at this condition. I can put up with a lot, put paying $200/mo. for service and not getting it....

How do they dare say, "we have a fix, but you can't have it?"

Every. Single. Time.

UGH!!!

Patience my friend!

1. No Comcast DVR that I'm aware of has more than 2 tuners, so you cannot record 2 channels and watch a third...unless of course you have an antenna and can watch the third OTA. You can record 2 programs while watching a previously recorded program.

2. If that's how you're recording 2 while watching "live" TV OTA, then the issue is with the Comcast "box". The Comcast system in our area uses Scientific Atlanta/Cisco hardware, and we've had both the older SA-8300 HD and the newer, quirkier RNG-200. We currently have an 8300 and it will record 2 programs; however, if you want to watch bits of the program, while it's recording, you MUST NOT access the channel directly...but go thru the DVR Recorded Programs list. If you access a channel directly that's being recorded, the current software may stop the recording at that point.

3. The reason they have not yet released the fix to every subscriber is that they are "beta testing" it in several smaller areas to insure that the "fix" doesn't introduce even more and possibly worse bugs.

4. After many years with Comcast, we tried the whole U-verse "bundle" for 2 months. Their best video quality is only "acceptable" at best, and in our case, they had some serious line issues in our area and the system was crashing (no video, phones, Internet) several times a day. Comcast may be frustrating; however, they are trying harder, and their normal PQ is simply superior to anything I've seen on U-verse...even in those installations that have fiber to the house.

In other words: The grass ain't necessarily greener over the hill.
post #9018 of 9953 Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I took his post to mean watching a recorded show while recording on both tuners and I can understand the frustration. Luckily I have a couple HD TiVos, but I would be very angry if I couldn't watch a recorded show while recording two others (we do this very often), we're at the point that we see only a few minutes of commercials a week.

Living in a new subdivision, ATT U-Verse seems to have plenty of bandwidth here and the PQ from U-Verse on my neighbors Kuro is at least as good as mine, if not a little better (he can record up to 4 SD channels or 2 HD channels at once). The only reason we haven't switched is because I love my TiVos too much.

P.S. I don't know about his phone service, but I believe he only gets 12mbps with his internet which is slower than mine, but he also pays about $28 less/month for TV/Internet than I do and he gets some premium movie channels that I do not.

Did I mention how much I love my TiVos?
post #9019 of 9953 Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Truncated recordings is a known bug in the S25 guide and it is very annoying. According to Comcast, the bug only happens in some markets, such as Houston. Comcast is testing a fix for the bug. There are some workarounds until the bug is fixed.
1) When recording two shows don't start watching a prerecorded show. This can be useful if you are not watching TV.
2) Another workaround is to tune directly to one of the shows being recorded without using the "My Recordings" page. If you do this make sure you finish watching the show by the time the recording ends otherwise the DVR may jump to live TV when the recording ends and you will have to go find the last point where you were watching.
3) Another workaround is to only record one show and watch the other show live or delayed.
4) If you can postpone recording one of the programs until later this prevents truncated recordings and may be a good alternative for some cable programs.that have repeat airings later at night or through the weeek.

Each workaround has a problem and you should decide which if any to use based on the situation. Hopefully, Comcast will release a patch soon to fix the bug.

From my experience, the recording is truncated when the user starts watching a recorded show while two other shows are being recorded.

Comcast is testing a 4 tuner DVR in Augusta, Ga.
post #9020 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Has anyone here ever had a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card activated by Comcast? If so what number did you dial and what information did you probide them? I have been trying for four days now to get mine activated. They keep asking for information that I do not have. It seems as if they do not know what to do with the information that I am supposed to give to them. You know the information that says contact Comcast and give them the following information. I have had Tivos with cablecards activated before. Is it different activating a Ceton card?
post #9021 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When I installed my Ceton - Windows Media Center displayed the phone number during the tuner setup. I called that number - and my card was setup and working almost immediately.

The process went much smoother than when I installed my ATI Digital Cable Tuners several years ago.
post #9022 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

Truncated recordings is a known bug in the S25 guide and it is very annoying. According to Comcast, the bug only happens in some markets, such as Houston. Comcast is testing a fix for the bug. There are some workarounds until the bug is fixed.
1) When recording two shows don't start watching a prerecorded show. This can be useful if you are not watching TV.
2) Another workaround is to tune directly to one of the shows being recorded without using the "My Recordings" page. If you do this make sure you finish watching the show by the time the recording ends otherwise the DVR may jump to live TV when the recording ends and you will have to go find the last point where you were watching.
3) Another workaround is to only record one show and watch the other show live or delayed.
4) If you can postpone recording one of the programs until later this prevents truncated recordings and may be a good alternative for some cable programs.that have repeat airings later at night or through the weeek.

Each workaround has a problem and you should decide which if any to use based on the situation. Hopefully, Comcast will release a patch soon to fix the bug.

From my experience, the recording is truncated when the user starts watching a recorded show while two other shows are being recorded.

Comcast is testing a 4 tuner DVR in Augusta, Ga.

I have the RNG-200 and the truncation occurs when I record two shows while watching a third recorded show.

I have begun setting to record only one show at a time and recording a duplicate of the second show at a later time. This only works when there is a duplicate. Some shows do not repeat and do not appear on the On Demand channel.

We have always done the record two and watch a third recorded show in order to avoid commercials.

I know that have a fix. I'm just inpatient waiting for it. Ah well. This too shall pass.
post #9023 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

Has anyone here ever had a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card activated by Comcast? If so what number did you dial and what information did you probide them? I have been trying for four days now to get mine activated. They keep asking for information that I do not have. It seems as if they do not know what to do with the information that I am supposed to give to them. You know the information that says contact Comcast and give them the following information. I have had Tivos with cablecards activated before. Is it different activating a Ceton card?

There two pieces of data that the Comcast Tech should need to activate a CableCard.

1. The CableCard serial number printed on the CableCard. With everything turned off extract the CableCard and write down the serial number. Then reinsert the CableCard and start up the system.

2. The second piece of data is the Host ID. This can be found by launching the Ceton Diagnostic app under the "Ceton Infini TV" folder in the start menu. Click on the CableCard tab and then click on the Cisco CableCard Host ID Screen item. This will display a screen with the phone number to call (713-462-9000), the CableCard ID and HOST ID.

Good Luck
post #9024 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post

There two pieces of data that the Comcast Tech should need to activate a CableCard.

1. The CableCard serial number printed on the CableCard. With everything turned off extract the CableCard and write down the serial number. Then reinsert the CableCard and start up the system.

2. The second piece of data is the Host ID. This can be found by launching the Ceton Diagnostic app under the "Ceton Infini TV" folder in the start menu. Click on the CableCard tab and then click on the Cisco CableCard Host ID Screen item. This will display a screen with the phone number to call (713-462-9000), the CableCard ID and HOST ID.

Good Luck

Thanks for the response guys. Yea I know that's how it is supposed to work but it is not happening for me. I have given them the required info but they still could not activate the card. I picked up a new card today. I'll see how it goes in a minute.
post #9025 of 9953 Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

You are correct. I continue to be confused by all these changes Comcast is making. (Falls on sword.)

I was at the Bellaire Comcast location today to exchange a faulty cable modem, and they told me that this area is scheduled for the new channels in September.
post #9026 of 9953 Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbum View Post

I was at the Bellaire Comcast location today to exchange a faulty cable modem, and they told me that this area is scheduled for the new channels in September.

Thanks. I hope they meet that schedule.

Robert
post #9027 of 9953 Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 PM

September? Fuk that.

There ougth to be a class action suit for failure to deliver services because I'm paying the same price as other customers with the new HD and not getting them. Especially the premium chanels, only getting 5 movie chanels when a dozen or more are available.
post #9028 of 9953 Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

Thanks for the response guys. Yea I know that's how it is supposed to work but it is not happening for me. I have given them the required info but they still could not activate the card. I picked up a new card today. I'll see how it goes in a minute.

First tier tech support (that which you get by dialing 713-462-9000 or 1-800-COMCAST) will likely be unable to assist, though they'll waste your time having you "try this and try that" - then after some time on hold they'll tell you it's done and it will take 15 minutes to an hour to "take"

Of course that seldom works.

Enabling (pairing) a cable card usually requires 2nd tier support (someone with actual technical skills)

The PAY TV industry does not hold the patent on poor customer relations, but Comcast in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

post #9029 of 9953 Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM

How in the heck do I setup a manual recording in this new software???

I have a block of time to record, but it's on a channel that doesn't have hourly start times in the guide.

The listed show runs from 6AM to noon. I want to record from 8:30AM. Is there a way for me to do this or has Comcast screwed this up???
post #9030 of 9953 Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texviddy View Post

How in the heck do I setup a manual recording in this new software???

I have a block of time to record, but it's on a channel that doesn't have hourly start times in the guide.

The listed show runs from 6AM to noon. I want to record from 8:30AM. Is there a way for me to do this or has Comcast screwed this up???

The following is from my "New Comcast S25 Guide Tips and Information" post, which has a lot of information about the new guide. Click the "GUIDE TIPS" link in my signature to go to the post.

Quote:

Manual DVR Recording
To set up a recurring manual recording - Press the My DVR button on your Comcast remote control, select Set a Recording, then Set a Manual recording, enter in your start and end times and start date. Choose the channel and then view recording settings - the settings can be modified to record once, every day, once a week, or weekdays.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page