Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 318 - AVS Forum
First ... 316  317  318 319  320  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS
RussB's Avatar RussB 05:46 PM 01-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

I now have a new date of February 1, 2012 for the cutover. I even got a phone call asking if all my TV's were connected to digital devices.

The first letter I got said January 24, so it appears the date slipped.

. . .

I got a postcard today that changed the date for XFINITY in area code 77074 (Sharpstown) from February 7, 2012 to February 15, 2012. This is a delay of 8 days. My area is also served by the Royalton headend and is 2 weeks after your scheduled date. Areas served by the Royalton headend are being done on different dates.

Gridlock Joe's Avatar Gridlock Joe 10:36 PM 01-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

I got a postcard today that changed the date for XFINITY in area code 77074 (Sharpstown) from February 7, 2012 to February 15, 2012. This is a delay of 8 days. My area is also served by the Royalton headend and is 2 weeks after your scheduled date. Areas served by the Royalton headend are being done on different dates.

I think I'm not getting those notifications because I'm in a condo complex and the HOA has the master account.
mmatheny's Avatar mmatheny 09:56 AM 01-30-2012
Finally got the replacement Ceton tuner to see if it would correct ongoing issues, and as I predicted, took over 30 minutes to get my CC paired with the new tuner! When the CC support desk answered, I specifically stated that I was moving my CC into a new piece of hardware, and that they needed to un-pair it from the old hardware and then pair it with the new hardware. I stated that they NEEDED to un-pair it first at least 3 times during the conversation, but apparently it went in one ear and out the other - tech had to get higher up tech to assist, once it came up, I asked what they did to get it paired - "We had to un-pair it from the old hardware first" DOH!

You’d think they would know this by now – it’s the same no matter WHAT hardware they are pairing the CC to!
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 09:38 AM 01-31-2012
I'm on our Condo association and we recieved the following notice last week. It says that deployment of Xfinity should take place on Feb 21st. We live in Zip 77005 just south of Hwy 59 off of Weslayan.

[IMG][/IMG]
katyfan2003's Avatar katyfan2003 02:59 PM 02-01-2012
I called Comcast today, and according to their newest map Royalton5, my hub, is scheduled to start on 2/7. But she also mentioned it might not be completed until mid May.

Im located in the sawyer heights area (77007), near the Target on Taylor.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 05:40 AM 02-02-2012
I called Comcast this morning and they said the digital conversion would start on 2/7 and take about a week.
RussB's Avatar RussB 04:21 PM 02-02-2012
The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

Note: There is a black screen issue on the Cisco RNG 200N DVR.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR functionality is available in a few more states.

Quote:
Ted,

I gave up waiting for the so called "Audio Fix" for the RNG-200 and decided to turn it in for the RNG-200N. Honestly the larger hard drive is really the reason I did it but was hoping the Audio issue would be gone in the process, which to a degree it is. However instead of the Audio drop out issue I was having before, I now have a "Black Screen" issue. From what I can gather by researching it looks like this is also a "Known" Issue. Basically while watching Tv (HDMI), the picture will all of a sudden go black for about 3-5 seconds and then come back on as if I changed modes on my Tv. I am guessing this is some sort of handshaking issue with the HDMI ports but I could be wrong. I still have a Samsung Tv and have tried different HDMI cables. My dad has the same box and he doesn't have this issue with Component cables but I am unwilling to go that way. The only upside to this is I can rewind and watch what I missed unlike the audio problem with the RNG-200. So I guess that is a bit better.

Do you have any idea when this will be fixed? Also I have been reading about the Guide 2.0 on this blog and it looks excellent. Any idea when that will be coming to the Merrimack NH area? Hopefully you don't need to get the Anyroom Dvr to enjoy it because I am not interested in that. I already pay enough for my Cable.

Thanks for all your help,

Scott

Scott Peters | January 24, 2012 12:17 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42204

Quote:
Hello Mr. Peters and thanks for your feedback. Apologies for the delay in responding and for the current issue that you are experiencing.

We have had some reports of a black screen issue on the Cisco RNG 200N while watching television. The Cisco and Comcast teams are aware of and investigating the root cause of that issue. It does appear to be a HDMI handshake issue but the teams are looking at other root causes as well. The issue could also be caused by low signal strength to the cable box. Once we have identified the root cause we will be able to better indicate a timetable for possible correction.

I don't yet have a timetable for On-Screen Guide 2.0 or 3.0 for your area of New Hampshire.

The plan is to introduce On-Screen Guide 2.0 http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2
with AnyRoom DVR initially and then also eventually include all of the RNG devices in deployed markets later this year.

The monthly cost going from two or three DVRs to an AnyRoom DVR configuration can be the same or actually even less in some cases.

Today, customers using Cisco branded cable boxes in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana are able to experience On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Scott Peters | February 2, 2012 2:10 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-42301

RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 05:09 PM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

Note: There is a black screen issue on the Cisco RNG 200N DVR.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR functionality is available in a few more states.

I wonder when the RNG200N is going to be available in Houston.
hdguru's Avatar hdguru 09:49 AM 02-03-2012
Quote:

I wonder when the RNG200N is going to be available in Houston.

If you want one, with the attendant new issues, ask a Comcast CSR to "mail or UPS" you a new DVR, specify a 200N (can be done), and they'll send you one, and you repack your old DVR and send it back.

The only current advantage is the 320gb hard disk. It will be much later this year or maybe 2013 before rng-150N STB's and the anyroom DVR software is available.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 10:07 AM 02-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdguru View Post

If you want one, with the attendant new issues, ask a Comcast CSR to "mail or UPS" you a new DVR, specify a 200N (can be done), and they'll send you one, and you repack your old DVR and send it back.

The only current advantage is the 320gb hard disk. It will be much later this year or maybe 2013 before rng-150N STB's and the anyroom DVR software is available.

Thanks for that information. Reading between the lines of Ted's comments, it sounds like not all RNG200N's have the problem. I will have to give it some thought.
RussB's Avatar RussB 05:18 PM 02-03-2012
Quote:

The information that I have seen states that the Cisco RNG 200-N DVR has a 500 gb hard disk.

If you get a Cisco RNG 200-N DVR now, it will come with the current guide S25 instead of the new On-Screen Guide 2.0. To get the new On-Screen Guide 2.0, you will need to get AnyRoom DVR functionality when it becomes available in the greater Houston/Galveston area or wait longer until it is available without AnyRoom DVR functionality. On-Screen Guide 2.0 will only work on RNG devices in SA/Cisco markets and the more modern STBs in the Motorola markets.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 08:18 AM 02-07-2012
I got an extra DTA for the kitchen so I could watch 33 and 34-ESPN and the others in that range but Comcast said they were having problems on their end activating new DTA's. They said the problem should be fixed in 2 to 4 hours.

I just called Comcast and they said I should be receiving the new channels that are supposed to be added no later than 2/14. I find it strange that I am not getting them now.
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 06:16 PM 02-07-2012
For those that have had Xfinity deployed, how soon after the analog channels were removed did the new HD channels appear? Apparently we've lost them today in our condo. Our office mgr called Comcast and they told him the upgrade was pushed up from the 14th to Feb 7th (today).

I've just gotten home and confirmed on my HDTV that plugs directly into the wall (no box) has lost the analog channels. However, the living room TV hooked to my RNG200 still does not show the new HD channels. Do I have to reboot my DVR or something for the new channels to appear or does it take a few days between the analog shut down and the new channels?

I'm in 77005 just south of Hwy 59 off of Weslayan.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 08:39 PM 02-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4647 View Post

For those that have had Xfinity deployed, how soon after the analog channels were removed did the new HD channels appear? Apparently we've lost them today in our condo. Our office mgr called Comcast and they told him the upgrade was pushed up from the 14th to Feb 7th (today).

I've just gotten home and confirmed on my HDTV that plugs directly into the wall (no box) has lost the analog channels. However, the living room TV hooked to my RNG200 still does not show the new HD channels. Do I have to reboot my DVR or something for the new channels to appear or does it take a few days between the analog shut down and the new channels?

I was converted today and I haven't gotten the new channels yet. I called Comcast and they said I was supposed to have them by now. I am going to call them again tomorrow.
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 10:49 PM 02-07-2012
Quote:

I was converted today and I haven't gotten the new channels yet. I called Comcast and they said I was supposed to have them by now. I am going to call them again tomorrow.

....they said I don't have the new HD Channels even though they've removed the analog ones. The agent said my particular area (77005, south of 59 off of Weslayan) won't get them until Feb 21st.

He also said that they will be deploying the Anyroom DVR service in a couple of months and it will be available throughout Houston, not a block by block deployment like this has been. Said the DVR will be the Cisco RNG200RN and you would need one for each TV. You will be able to play what's on either DVR on any TV.

Who knows how accurate any of these dates are but that's the latest I've heard.
Paw Paw's Avatar Paw Paw 05:53 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:

Comcast likes to make their channel changes on Tuesday night. That gives them the rest of the week to fix any unexpected probelms they created with the change.

Therefore I think that the earlest that you whould see the new channels would be next Wednesday or maybe in two or three weeks.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 07:12 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:

....they said I don't have the new HD Channels even though they've removed the analog ones. The agent said my particular area (77005, south of 59 off of Weslayan) won't get them until Feb 21st.

He also said that they will be deploying the Anyroom DVR service in a couple of months and it will be available throughout Houston, not a block by block deployment like this has been. Said the DVR will be the Cisco RNG200RN and you would need one for each TV. You will be able to play what's on either DVR on any TV.

Who knows how accurate any of these dates are but that's the latest I've heard.

I didn't get any Google hits on Cisco RNG200RN but the RNG200N does.

I sure didn't know I had to have more than one RNG200 to use Anyroom DVR. I already have two RNG200's.
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 08:34 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:

I sure didn't know I had to have more than one RNG200 to use Anyroom DVR. I already have two RNG200's.

That's probably the one, probably wrote it wrong. He did say my current RNG200 will not work with the Anyroom.
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 08:35 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post

Comcast likes to make their channel changes on Tuesday night. That gives them the rest of the week to fix any unexpected probelms they created with the change.

Therefore I think that the earlest that you whould see the new channels would be next Wednesday or maybe in two or three weeks.

That makes sense with the Feb 21 date they told me for the new HD channels.
hdguru's Avatar hdguru 09:28 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:

rng200N is the new, networking DVR. I believe that your other TV's will need the new rng-150N STB to communicate with the 200N and allow any room DVR control.
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 10:13 AM 02-08-2012
Quote:

rng200N is the new, networking DVR. I believe that your other TV's will need the new rng-150N STB to communicate with the 200N and allow any room DVR control.

LOL! Then I could save some money by replacing my second RNG200 with an RNG150N.

Not! They wouldn't let me do that.
RussB's Avatar RussB 05:54 PM 02-08-2012
Quote:

How AnyRoom DVR Service Works

AnyRoom DVR Service includes one primary DVR that provides full access to the DVR features of your on-screen guide such as the ability to schedule or delete a recording or control live TV.

The primary DVR is linked to networked set-top boxes in your home that allow you to view completed recordings and those already in progress. Plus fast forward, rewind, pause, skip ahead or skip back while watching your recordings.

http://www.comcast.com/anyroomdvr/?SCRedirect=true

NOTE: Click the above link, to see a diagram.

For SA/Cisco, the primary DVR is the Cisco RNG 200-N DVR. This DVR is a dual tuner DVR that can only record 2 shows at the same time. The networked set-top boxes can not record shows. This limits the user to only recording 2 shows at the same time. If you want to record more than 2 shows at the same time don't get AnyRoom DVR functionality, instead you can use multiple DVRs.
mmatheny's Avatar mmatheny 01:32 PM 02-09-2012
Does anyone know how to force the output resolution on the RNG-150? It is outputting 1080i to my 32" Samsung, and I want to force it to 720P
RobertWy's Avatar RobertWy 01:46 PM 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

Does anyone know how to force the output resolution on the RNG-150? It is outputting 1080i to my 32" Samsung, and I want to force it to 720P

I believe you have to be using composite cables. If you are using HDMI, you can't force it to 720P.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21224912
mmatheny's Avatar mmatheny 02:49 PM 02-09-2012
That sucks - but what should I expect from Comcast equipment?
CFC's Avatar CFC 03:08 PM 02-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

You can try pressing "menu" while the box is off to get to the setup menu and see if there's an option to change the resolution.
Don't currently have one to check if that'll work.

CFC
mateo222's Avatar mateo222 07:40 AM 02-10-2012
Well they removed our standard channels 23-50 or whatever the exact range is from the analog spectrum around 3 days ago, however, no new HD channels yet. I am guessing we are on the royalton head-end (up by highland village).

Anyone else North of 59, East of 610, South of Westheimer, and West of Wesleyan heard anything?
jb4647's Avatar jb4647 02:19 PM 02-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo222 View Post

Well they removed our standard channels 23-50 or whatever the exact range is from the analog spectrum around 3 days ago, however, no new HD channels yet. I am guessing we are on the royalton head-end (up by highland village).

Anyone else North of 59, East of 610, South of Westheimer, and West of Wesleyan heard anything?

I'm south of 59, just a block west of Weslayan in 77005. Comcast said new HD channels will be the 21 st
mateo222's Avatar mateo222 03:06 PM 02-10-2012
Thanks I will keep my fingers crossed.
Jeffrey David's Avatar Jeffrey David 10:08 AM 02-12-2012
Having been a customer of Comcast for many years I succumbed to their offer of triple play in order to save money. I could write pages regarding the run-around I received for the simple exercise of getting me signed up with telephone service, which of course has not happened after three weeks and two service orders. They keep losing my E911 documentation.

In any event, I will be getting a gateway modem on Wednesday. I don't know which model yet, but as they only have two, made by the same company, I guess you can consider my following questions generic. That is, until I have a specific modem to discuss.

Currently I have a Docsis 3.0 ordinary modem with Blast connected to an SMC (Comcast equipment) router.

Is the range of the wireless service incorporated within the gateway as good as an ordinary stand alone router? They say 100 to 150 feet, is that accurate?

Also things I was told:

(1) The modem charge of $7/mo disappears with the installation of a gateway--there is no modem charge for a gateway;
(2) a service technician can "drop off" the gateway and pick up the old modem(s) (I have two now, another story) and by calling it a "swap equipment" call there will be no charge for the service.

Can I believe this? Will the charge go away? Do they actually waive the service call charge? Oh, I am so gullible.....

Thoughts?
First ... 316  317  318 319  320  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop