Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 332 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9931 of 9953 Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like Comcast sent out an update to my RNG200 last night. I had the box setup in pass-through mode with an HDMI cable. Everything had been working fine. Now the @#$% box is sending everything to my TV in 480i format. When I switch to an HD station the box shows the 1080i or 720p on the front panel and then jumps back to 480i. Has anyone else seen this? What do I do to get it setup correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9953 Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post

Looks like Comcast sent out an update to my RNG200 last night. I had the box setup in pass-through mode with an HDMI cable. Everything had been working fine. Now the @#$% box is sending everything to my TV in 480i format. When I switch to an HD station the box shows the 1080i or 720p on the front panel and then jumps back to 480i. Has anyone else seen this? What do I do to get it setup correctly?

This works great on my 8300HD and my RNG200 STBs. HTH, and good luck!

ComcastHDSetTopBoxVideoSetupProcedures.doc 30k .doc file
Attached Files
File Type: doc ComcastHDSetTopBoxVideoSetupProcedures.doc (30.0 KB, 42 views)

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #9933 of 9953 Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the response. That fixed it for me. The output had been locked on 480i and I needed to set it back to pass-through.

Thanks again,

Paw Paw
post #9934 of 9953 Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post

Thanks for the response. That fixed it for me. The output had been locked on 480i and I needed to set it back to pass-through.

Thanks again,

Paw Paw

Glad that I could help.

I was having absolute FITS when my box lost power and I was experiencing terrible delays when switching between channels with different resolutions (480, 720, or 1080). Finally found this file and voila - all is well!

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #9935 of 9953 Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I may be posting in the wrong forum, but wanted the opinion of those smarter than me. If in the wrong forum, please kindly redirect me.

We have Comcast in Sugar Land, and watch TV in the main rooms with the box/DVR. In order to expand my DVR capability, I plugged in my Win 7 PC into a silicondust HDHomerRun tuner and that into a cable outlet and was able to pull QAM programming down for all the local broadcast channels on Windows Media Center.

I decided to see if the TVs in the bedrooms could pull the QAM signals also (have been using OTA+Roku for majority of programming) One is a Vizio and one is a Samsung, bith 32 inches, a bit older, but HDTVs.

The funny thing is that the Win 7 PC running WMC can pull and record KPRC NBC in HD off of 612.1 saying it's channel 31.612 (the silicondust tuner channel). However, neither of the TVs can pull KPRC DT off of the QAM tuner in HD. I can get the other local broadcast channels in the 600-613 range for HD, but not KPRC. KPRC shows up in standard definition on 12.1 on the TV s.

Are the Silicondust tuners just better than the TV ones? I can't figure out a way to "force" either the Vizio or Samsung to channel 31.612.

I can always plug in the TVs into the OTA antenna and get what I want, but that's a bit unsightly. I was just wondering why the PC can pick it up, but not the TVs?

Thanks in advance
post #9936 of 9953 Old 02-08-2014, 04:31 PM

My 4 year old Vizio TV has the option to scan for channels and it finds the 31.612 channel. Comcast has the tendency to 'move' the channels around so rescanning once or twice a year is needed. We get all the locals, local religious and wgn (of all things) in HD in the clear. This is in 77401 (Bellaire)
post #9937 of 9953 Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Remember those Digital Transport Adapters Comcast gave out for free back in 2011 when they were going completely digital (and scrambling everything)? Well it appears they are now charging $1.99/mos. whether you use it or not. I had to go find the one they sent me (and never opened the box much less used) and will return it this week....
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #9938 of 9953 Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 AM

As of this morning (053114) It appears that Comcast has scrambled the local channels in Spring Branch..

Anyone else?
post #9939 of 9953 Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM

I'm also in Spring Branch (77043). I noticed this last week and did a scan for channels on the TV. Nothing came in. I will try again tonight and see if anything comes in.

I don't know this to be fact, but I have heard it is against the FCC rules for cable companies to scramble the main networks and PBS.

What in the wide world of sports is going on around here !!
post #9940 of 9953 Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Richmond 77407 by Grand Parkway and Westpark Tollway, absolutely nothing here, all channels have been locked down except for something like ch16 or ch17 with the comcast infomercial.

[ ReplayTV 5040 | SlingBox | Orb TV server | Handheld MCE 2005 ]
post #9941 of 9953 Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Looks like it is time to turn the DTAS that I never unpacked and cancel the basic cable.
Praying that they do not screw up the internet service that I get thru earthlink on their infrastructure.
It is a long story and has it's advantages.
post #9942 of 9953 Old 06-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPRIMO View Post

As of this morning (053114) It appears that Comcast has scrambled the local channels in Spring Branch..

Anyone else?
I no longer use Clear QAM but I hooked up my old QAM tuner card last night and did a scan to see if I could get any local channels. Although the locals showed as unlocked in the channel editing window of Media Center non of them could be tuned in. (Spring/Klein Area)
post #9943 of 9953 Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Now that I'm reading these recent reports, it reminds me of a chat I had with a Comcast employee about a month ago. I'm pretty sure he said all free local channels would be going away, to be replaced with the Comcast commercial. They really want you to rent those boxes.
post #9944 of 9953 Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM

I live in Klein/Spring and I have 2 boxless TVs, I used to get broadcast networks in clear QAM but in the past month, the TV says "scrambled".

What a bummer!

Who knows how the X1 pricing works. I have a price list, it says
$10 for HD fee
$19.95 for Whole home DVR

My old HD DVR is $17.95 and it includes the HD fee.

So is X1 a $12 net adder per month?
post #9945 of 9953 Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM

I returned my DTAS this morning and cancelled my basic cable.
They offered to reduce the basic cable from 29.95 to 9.00 and the HD DTA for 1.99.
Bet that offer will be made to any canceling or complaining.
post #9946 of 9953 Old 07-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG21 View Post
I returned my DTAS this morning and cancelled my basic cable.
They offered to reduce the basic cable from 29.95 to 9.00 and the HD DTA for 1.99.
Bet that offer will be made to any canceling or complaining.
I knew better than to try to change anything thru the phone with Comcast.

On my last post, I returned three DTA boxes and thought, the operative word being thought, I cancelled my Basic Cable.
Little did I know what I had done.

I have been an earthlink customer on the Comcast infrastructure since Time Warner started offering cable internet service. I down loaded anywhere from 12-23 mbps almost all the time. My modem was free, not rented at 8.00 per month and there were no service charges when a tech had to come out.
I was paying 41.95 for this service....and 29.95 for the basic cable.

To continue.....I received my bill yesterday...Basic Cable was stiill there...

Like a fool, I called to have the bill corrected. During the phone call, I was repetedly assured that the my internet service would be raised to 49.95 (I no longer had a combo deal), basic cable would disapper, down load and upload speeds would stay the same.

when I got home and ran a speedtest (speedtest.net)...
Download seed had changed to 6 mbps...upload was around 1.2 mbps.

Further investigationrevealed that I was no longer an Earthlink customer, my service was changed to "Infinity Performance Starter" at 49.95 plus an 8.00 modem rental fee.

Importnt to note that the service rep asssured me that this was all would stay the same as noted above. I was so darn mad that I hardly slept last nite.

Went to the store on Tidwell this morning and was told by everyone including the manager that once a grandfathered package was changed, it disappeared forever and could not be activated again...EVER!

Had the service rep told me of thhis, I would not have changed my service.

I can only pray that my Earthlink email addresses do not disappear..

If you have earthlink intrnet service, to not attempt to change it over the phone. Go to a store where you can look the personin the eye while they lie to you.

They did give me a years promo discount on the 25 mbps service which downloads at 14 mbps and 5 mbps up.

I knew better and just had to learn the lesson again..

I am not sure that the 20.00 monthly savings is going to be worth it.

PS: bluetooth keyboard works relly good on an Ipad..
post #9947 of 9953 Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoguls View Post
I live in Klein/Spring and I have 2 boxless TVs, I used to get broadcast networks in clear QAM but in the past month, the TV says "scrambled".

What a bummer!

Who knows how the X1 pricing works. I have a price list, it says
$10 for HD fee
$19.95 for Whole home DVR

My old HD DVR is $17.95 and it includes the HD fee.

So is X1 a $12 net adder per month?
More than likely, but if I were you, I would go to the nearest Comcast store.

Robert
post #9948 of 9953 Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPRIMO View Post

Anyone else?
Welp, searched this site because my PIP was no longer pulling in QAM channels and discovered others experienced this same issue.

I'm considering purchasing the Actiontec MyWirelessTV kit to watch DVR/cable channels in my bedroom - even though it'll be the same source on both TVs. I'm still using an SA 8300 HD box, however it doesn't appear to be HDMI 2.0 compliant and audio apparently won't work on this device. Does anyone know the HD box Comcast currently uses? Is anyone using Actiontec MyWirelessTV? Would hate to spend money on it if it won't work properly. Thanks in advance.
post #9949 of 9953 Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG21 View Post
Further investigationrevealed that I was no longer an Earthlink customer, my service was changed to "Infinity Performance Starter" at 49.95 plus an 8.00 modem rental fee.

I can only pray that my Earthlink email addresses do not disappear..
Call Earthlink. See if they still offer a plan over Comcast and get back on it if they do. If not, they have an 'email only' plan for ~8 a month (just went up from ~5).

Personally I dropped Earthlink for 'real' Comcast internet because most of the apps on devices work if you have Comcast TV + Internet but not if you have Comcast TV + Earthlink Internet.
post #9950 of 9953 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Anyone have experience with this Samsung Cable Box?

Looking to cut my cable bill, I ordered this Samsung GX-SM530CF Cable Box and Streaming Media Player:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYO241Q/...528360_TE_dp_1

While waiting for it to be delivered I also picked up a cablecard from the Voss Xfinity store. From what they told me, I'll be charged $9.95/mo for this card until I return my only DVR (Cisco RNG200) at which time I will reduce my bill by the $17.95/mo for the box and $9.95/mo for the card.

For folks that use a cablecard for either this Samsung box or TiVo, do you have access to all Comcast HD channels? Do you still have to pay for their monthly HD Technology Fee?
post #9951 of 9953 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use a cablecard in my Tivo, and get all the HD channels that I subscribe to. However, on demand is not available (through the traditional setup - Tivo has partnered to offer On-Demand as part of their service - it's just accessed differently than through the normal Comcast box). I still have a separate Comcast DVR in another location, so I can't tell you for sure whether you will have the HD Tech Fee (since I'm still charged at this time).
post #9952 of 9953 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
I use a cablecard in my Tivo, and get all the HD channels that I subscribe to. However, on demand is not available (through the traditional setup - Tivo has partnered to offer On-Demand as part of their service - it's just accessed differently than through the normal Comcast box). I still have a separate Comcast DVR in another location, so I can't tell you for sure whether you will have the HD Tech Fee (since I'm still charged at this time).
After return my only DVR I'll report back if an HD Technology Fee is still charged.
post #9953 of 9953 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

Liked: 0
went to my local TWC store and asked if I could trade in my 5100 box for the newer one, and the lady looked at me funny, then said that the new DVR box wouldn't be available until June or so. I didn't realize that there was a newer box than the 5100 already available.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page