Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 333 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9962 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mpeg4

Looks like Comcast is moving forward with implementing MPEG4 in the Houston area. I received a letter from them today stating that incompatible equipment needs to be replaced by 10/26/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9962 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post
Looks like Comcast is moving forward with implementing MPEG4 in the Houston area. I received a letter from them today stating that incompatible equipment needs to be replaced by 10/26/16.
A quick note on this. Many of the Comcast areas that have switched, Comcast has started downgrading a number of the 1080i channels when going to MPEG4 (h.264) they're re-encoding them as 720p.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-...784744#M183460

I'm no longer in the Houston area as I now live in Sacramento, CA last fall and this affected us recently. They're claiming it's a good thing going all 'Progressive' but when you de-interlace to 1080p which is the right thing to do, and then down-res to 720p you loose a lot of graphic fidelity that will never be recovered no matter how good your TV/AV Equipment up-res's the result.

Samsung PN64D550 (Home Theater Setup)
Denon AVR-3808CI - Mirage FRx Speakers
Samsung UN50H6350 (Living Room)
Yamaha HTR6130 - Polk RTi/CSi Speakers
Samsung UN32EH5000 (Master)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page