Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum - Page 468 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The DVR in our bedroom has that feature - use it all the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

Side question, is there any way to make the cable box have a sleep timer?

The TV I am using on my cable box is actually a vacuum tube TV, and it sadly uses a lot of power, and recently I have been falling asleep with the TV on and have been told by my Dad, that if I leave the TV on one more time, the cable box will be taken away and returned to BHN. Understandable, as tube TV's use a lot more energy than Solid State TV's. Thing is though, can these TV's support a sleep timer on the AC outlet on them? I use the built in AC outlet on the TV to turn the old TV on and off by remote, but I was hoping for a sleep timer on it.

Do you have your TV plugged into the box itself? If not, do so if you can, then go into the menu and use the sleep timer and it will turn both the box and TV off.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Indeed I do have the tv plugged into the box. Wasn't aware it had a sleep timer feature

Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The box is doing it again. It scheduled to record 2 episodes of suns of guns. Not only is that not in my list, I purposely removed the remote batteries.

Is there seriously no way to have the box show HOW something was scheduled? Cause if not I will contend my remote manager must be getting hacked.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The box is doing it again. It scheduled to record 2 episodes of suns of guns. Not only is that not in my list, I purposely removed the remote batteries.

Is there seriously no way to have the box show HOW something was scheduled? Cause if not I will contend my remote manager must be getting hacked.

The same thing happened to me this afternoon. Do you have Mythbusters in your series manager list? 'Cause what happened was that there were originally two episodes of Mythbusters scheduled to record, but sometime after the recordings were scheduled the guide data was updated and Discovery changed those two Mythbusters airings to Sons of Guns. Methinks this is a software bug as it doesn't seem to properly reflect changes to scheduled recordings when guide data changes.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, in fact I do have Mythbusters, and it in error recorded two of them this morning, as they were not new but the box was scheduled to record only new shows.

I don't care if it's a program guide problem, fact is the box should be smart enough to determine a show change. It has the CPU power to do it.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, in fact I do have Mythbusters, and it in error recorded two of them this morning, as they were not new but the box was scheduled to record only new shows.

I don't care if it's a program guide problem, fact is the box should be smart enough to determine a show change. It has the CPU power to do it.

Exactly my same setup and situation. It's totally a software design problem/oversight. Just like how the two Mythbusters reruns were recorded--even when a series is set to only record new episodes, if an airing has a generic show description or no description at all, it'll be recorded regardless.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, so then BHN claiming Program Guide fault is just laziness. Instead they should invest in smarter DVR software designer. Obviously if I get another box it's not going to fix.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just looked at my scheduled recordings and now my box thinks everything new is fabulous and has scheduled everything new to be recorded many times this week. Mine has never done that before so somebody did something to the software.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BHNtechXpert, now do you believe me? There is something seriously wrong here.

A box swap isn't going to fix this. Instead of explaining how I need to swap the box, why not get a engineer to look at this.

We can't be expected to return boxes every time a glitch is occurred.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I just looked at my scheduled recordings and now my box thinks everything new is fabulous and has scheduled everything new to be recorded many times this week. Mine has never done that before so somebody did something to the software.

Do you guys have the same box and version of the software? Knowing that would go a long way toward convincing BH that they have a potential hardware/software compatibility issue or just a software issue (if you have different boxes). I have not had any of the issues you guys are seeing. I have an old SA 8300HD. If forget how to go get the software version. I can look that up if someone knows how.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a feeling it's a MDN vs OCAP thing (do the SA boxes still use MDN?)

I use a Cisco HD DVR that uses OCAP. Exactly model I don't know at the moment.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM

That is very possible. I have Mystro Digital Navigator (MDN) on the 8300.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have OCAP on my Cisco Explorer 8642HDC.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The weird thing is I do all my recording manually. Take Ax Men, on tonight at 9 p.m. I used the guide and chose to record at 9. Now it's recording at 9, 2 and every day this week that's it's new. I don't have anything in my series manager because it would never record anything there. Now I have everything at every times it's on.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling it's a MDN vs OCAP thing (do the SA boxes still use MDN?)

I use a Cisco HD DVR that uses OCAP. Exactly model I don't know at the moment.

My current DVR is a Samsung H3272 running OCAP Navigator 4.1.0.6. Up until last November I had an SA 8300 (SD only) running MDN, which I swapped for the Samsung box when I *finally* got an HDTV. MDN never had these recording issues when I used it, so it looks to be an OCAP only issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It wouldn't surprise me. OCAP has always been pretty poor.

Just right now it keeps recording this 2012 apocolypse show because the epieosde title is MythBusters. I mean come on, the show is called MythBusters. It shouldn't be recording the show because the episode is called MythBusters, it should match the show name at least.

I would like to see this fixed though, the Cisco box has the biggest hard drive I have seen so far.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Other question is why are we so far behind other markets regarding Navigator versions? Other places have 5.x versions. Often we seem to be at least 6 months if not more behind.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 AM

Mine did the same exact thing, recorded the 2012 thing because of Mythbusters in the episode title. I also got a rogue FBI program the other day. I feel like there must have been some subtle change in the software for finding which programs to record. BTW I have a Samsung box.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

Other question is why are we so far behind other markets regarding Navigator versions? Other places have 5.x versions. Often we seem to be at least 6 months if not more behind.

This is both good and bad. I remember someone from BH saying that they like to have the bugs worked out by other divisions (Time-Warner) before they roll it out here. Just look in the national TW forum for all the horror stories for different versions that then had to be patched with another update, etc.

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM

It's pretty obvious Hakemon was right. At least 3 people on this forum are having the same issue. BH needs to stop depending on other divisions and step up to fix the issue their customers are having.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's pretty ridiculous that our boxes are now recording the same shows multiple times a week for no reason. Even if I delete the other recordings they still pop up and it's causing conflicts. Ugh .

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
My Tivo Premiere isn't having any problems.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

It's pretty ridiculous that our boxes are now recording the same shows multiple times a week for no reason. Even if I delete the other recordings they still pop up and it's causing conflicts. Ugh .

I am having the same mutilple recording of shows even though it is listed in series manager to record at a specific day / time. Annoying because I choose that time to keep it conflicting and bumping out other shows.

This IS a software bug that has started in the last few weeks for me. Considering how much $ I shell out for my DVR service you would think they could afford a decent software coder on staff.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, the cost just went up and it's a huge hit to the wallet. I bet we got some kind of software upgrade and it's wreaking havoc on certain boxes since it seems those of us with the Cisco's are having the issue while the old 8300's are fine.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All cable boxes provided by ALL cable companies suck, no matter where you go. It's simple, really. They (cable providers) want something that is as cheap as possible so that they can make money on renting them out, and the companies who make these cable boxes deliver in spades. It's why they suck so hard and won't be getting better anytime soon.

Personally, I can't wait until I can build my own HTPC and stick a cable card tuner in it so I can kiss this cable box crap goodbye once and for all. I used to want to keep the boxes so I could access the free VOD provided by bright house, but now that there are so many options online (that are both free and legal) it simply isn't a factor anymore.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moraseski View Post

This is both good and bad. I remember someone from BH saying that they like to have the bugs worked out by other divisions (Time-Warner) before they roll it out here. Just look in the national TW forum for all the horror stories for different versions that then had to be patched with another update, etc.

Jim

Problem is, BHN doesn't seem to skip the bad updates, they just update to them 6 months after everyone else. At least when we've had problems in the past, I've done Google searches and found that the issues were know and subsequently fixed with a later update, yet BHN still updated to the bad version. Maybe they're being smarter more recently, but I kind of doubt that due to lack of evidence.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I am now considering switching my box from a DVR to a plain HD one. Does anyone have one of these? Make and model? Can you still do look-back with it?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Anyone heard anything about a BHN-WKMG settlement?

I know it will not get pulled but it will give us something to discuss HD wise/month to month deals.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually no. I haven't seen any 'doom and gloom' messages on the channel, in the papers or anything so maybe they did make a deal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement