Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum - Page 483 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincl View Post

What is the latest and greatest model currently and what is the HD capacity in it? I've never had anything but an 8300HD. I saw how slow an 8300HDC was and refused to have it. My brother has a Samsung H-3270 and it also drives me crazy with how slow it is. Is an 8742 the best model now? I do not have nor will be getting Whole House-DVR... just need 1 box and I use HDMI connections

The 8642/8742 would be the latest greatest depending on your service area.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincl View Post

Weird.... my 8300HD box is no longer having the HDMI blink today after the screen saver... even though the software update was for ODN boxes. Perhaps something as a side effect helped out our boxes in the fix....

Odd....let me check the model numbers again....may have misspoken.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowiches View Post

BHNtechXpert: I'm not ignoring you if you are waiting for a reply. The secure site is down. I'll try again in an hour or so.

Looks like they will be down all week. Very bad day over there. Email me and let me know how things go. I will be in meetings all day tomorrow and our deal isn't until Thursday so we're good.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraseski View Post

I have the whole house DVR. It works well. The only negative that I have is that you can only schedule on the DVR not on the non-DVR.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

Jim

Ya know how you get around that? Use our easy gadget app or login to my services with you mobile device and schedule your recordings...that way it doesn't matter where you are or what tv for that matter.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Guys/gals I'm going to ask Ken our moderator to create a separate thread for our phone and Internet products as well. For tracking purposes and also to better support you here it just makes sense. I realize it's a little out of the sites realm but it makes sense that you should be able to get support for all our products here not just video. Keeping things in their own threads will bring a little sanity to helping you here with the other products. Give it a day or two and let me toss it off Ken.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post

Ya know how you get around that? Use our easy gadget app or login to my services with you mobile device and schedule your recordings...that way it doesn't matter where you are or what tv for that matter.

I already do but I don't have access to the computer (don't have a smart phone) at all times and it would be nice to be able to schedule from any box.

Jim
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Kevin go down to your local office and try....if you get no joy email me....I'll make it happen

So, they swapped me the 8300HDC for the 8742HDC. You can't ask for a better upgrade than that. All around faster, quieter, smaller and an upgrade from 150GB to 500GB hard drive.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

So, they swapped me the 8300HDC for the 8742HDC. You can't ask for a better upgrade than that. All around faster, quieter, smaller and an upgrade from 150GB to 500GB hard drive.

Awesome news indeed Kevin....

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

There may be a little lag on the 8300 if it drives you crazy we do have other models available. Let me know if I can help

Well I made some rough measurements and it is even slower than I thought.

Tv to Guide about 2 seconds - as in one thousand, two thousand...
In guide, page up/down about one second
In guide, channel up/down about one second
in Tv, pressing record 3 seconds til record light comes on

My old 8200HD was twice as fast as this unit!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A number of unnecessary comments have been deleted.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmar View Post

Well I made some rough measurements and it is even slower than I thought.

Tv to Guide about 2 seconds - as in one thousand, two thousand...
In guide, page up/down about one second
In guide, channel up/down about one second
in Tv, pressing record 3 seconds til record light comes on

My old 8200HD was twice as fast as this unit!

There are a couple of possibiltiies for this... one could be a signal issue and two it could be the box. About 2 seconds is normal for that box. If this drives you nuts I can get you into a different box. Let me know.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM

I want to tell you all about my experiences with Brighthouse. I had seven different techs from ones that don't get their hands dirty to the ones that dig trenches at my house yesterday. For years now we have been having intermittent recording issues with our DVR. The log would show, "The program did not record because it was not available." It became such a headache we got a second DVR as a backup on shows we didn't want to miss.

Around a month or so ago the problem became much worse and I was having channels that would be just blank or I would get a box telling me that the channel was not available try again later. Since we now had BHNtechXprt on this forum I asked him what this meant. I went to his secure site and posted the info he needed and he checked and said my signal levels were low. A tech came out and replaced part of a run in my attic and left saying I needed to be rewired and it would be chargeable. He didn't do very much. BHNTechXpert said he would schedule a higher up tech to come out and if I truly needed rewiring it would get done at no charge. I was going to wait because I was generally satisfied and couldn't get time to be at home, but when I tried to watch a ball game this weekend and both channels it was on kept going in and out I contacted BHNTechXpert and said let's do this.

Yesterday was the day. It started out really bad since the tech that was to come out and look at my problems did not show on time. Fifteen minutes later I got a call from someone who said they have another tech coming out. Actually two guys in two vans showed up. When they got there they didn't even check anything. The main guy said the call said I had browser issues (which I didn't) and that my TV problems were due to using HDMI. He wanted to switch me to component cables. I said that wasn't possible because my HDMI is run through the wall 20 feet from the box to the TV. I wasn't thrilled at this point.

Then we walked around the house to the interface and they both stopped and said they were going to order a complete rewire from the cable box in the street, bring it up at the electrical and then rewire the inside of the house. I guess they didn't like what they saw. They didn't even need to go inside. We scheduled it for Saturday, they offered to put an amp in for the meantime. I went inside to tell my wife and to let my dogs free to roam the house again. I also grabbed my phone and sent an email to BHNTechXprt because he asked to be kept up on what was happening.

I went back outside and there was now a third person there. They had her checking the signal levels at the box on the street. The second guy came up to me and told me he was going to get it done today since I had taken the day off from work. He couldn't tell me when since it was already 1:00 and he was forcing it in to the contractors. He said it could be as late as 6:00 before they show up. The first guy took my phone number and said that he will be in touch the next day to make sure I am satisfied. Big change around from how it started.

It wasn't an hour later when the first of three contractors showed up to do the rewire. They did a fantastic job. Dropped three wires down the walls for tv and one for internet. The first guy that took my phone number even showed up while the work was being done with another guy I hadn't seen before to make sure I was happy. OH, and my internet: I had no idea how slow it was. Now sites pop up in a split second where before it could take two or three seconds if it was a big page with lots of graphics.

Now it's just sit back and time will tell if my DVR problems are fixed. All I can say is if it wasn't for BHNTechXpert I would never have gotten this work done and would still be grumbling at the DVR. Either that or pulling wires myself through the attic.

If anybody here has any issues with Brighthouse, please contact BHNTechXpert. It may take a couple of weeks to get the issue resolved, but he will make sure the proper people get invoilved until you are satisfied. Thanks again Gary!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I want to tell you all about my experiences with Brighthouse. I had seven different techs from ones that don't get their hands dirty to the ones that dig trenches at my house yesterday. For years now we have been having intermittent recording issues with our DVR. The log would show, "The program did not record because it was not available." It became such a headache we got a second DVR as a backup on shows we didn't want to miss.

Around a month or so ago the problem became much worse and I was having channels that would be just blank or I would get a box telling me that the channel was not available try again later. Since we now had BHNtechXprt on this forum I asked him what this meant. I went to his secure site and posted the info he needed and he checked and said my signal levels were low. A tech came out and replaced part of a run in my attic and left saying I needed to be rewired and it would be chargeable. He didn't do very much. BHNTechXpert said he would schedule a higher up tech to come out and if I truly needed rewiring it would get done at no charge. I was going to wait because I was generally satisfied and couldn't get time to be at home, but when I tried to watch a ball game this weekend and both channels it was on kept going in and out I contacted BHNTechXpert and said let's do this.

Yesterday was the day. It started out really bad since the tech that was to come out and look at my problems did not show on time. Fifteen minutes later I got a call from someone who said they have another tech coming out. Actually two guys in two vans showed up. When they got there they didn't even check anything. The main guy said the call said I had browser issues (which I didn't) and that my TV problems were due to using HDMI. He wanted to switch me to component cables. I said that wasn't possible because my HDMI is run through the wall 20 feet from the box to the TV. I wasn't thrilled at this point.

Then we walked around the house to the interface and they both stopped and said they were going to order a complete rewire from the cable box in the street, bring it up at the electrical and then rewire the inside of the house. I guess they didn't like what they saw. They didn't even need to go inside. We scheduled it for Saturday, they offered to put an amp in for the meantime. I went inside to tell my wife and to let my dogs free to roam the house again. I also grabbed my phone and sent an email to BHNTechXprt because he asked to be kept up on what was happening.

I went back outside and there was now a third person there. They had her checking the signal levels at the box on the street. The second guy came up to me and told me he was going to get it done today since I had taken the day off from work. He couldn't tell me when since it was already 1:00 and he was forcing it in to the contractors. He said it could be as late as 6:00 before they show up. The first guy took my phone number and said that he will be in touch the next day to make sure I am satisfied. Big change around from how it started.

It wasn't an hour later when the first of three contractors showed up to do the rewire. They did a fantastic job. Dropped three wires down the walls for tv and one for internet. The first guy that took my phone number even showed up while the work was being done with another guy I hadn't seen before to make sure I was happy. OH, and my internet: I had no idea how slow it was. Now sites pop up in a split second where before it could take two or three seconds if it was a big page with lots of graphics.

Now it's just sit back and time will tell if my DVR problems are fixed. All I can say is if it wasn't for BHNTechXpert I would never have gotten this work done and would still be grumbling at the DVR. Either that or pulling wires myself through the attic.

If anybody here has any issues with Brighthouse, please contact BHNTechXpert. It may take a couple of weeks to get the issue resolved, but he will make sure the proper people get invoilved until you are satisfied. Thanks again Gary!

Wow... thank you Allowiches...and sorry it took this much effort and time on your part to get it done as it shouldn't have but it would appear we are on the right track. I'll be available all weekend to check on things if needed.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
BHNtech gettin' some major love this morning .

I'm having an issue with my Samsung non-DVR box that cropped up last night but I'll be on vacation until next Friday so you'll get a pm from me then .

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Wow... thank you Allowiches...and sorry it took this much effort and time on your part to get it done as it shouldn't have but it would appear we are on the right track. I'll be available all weekend to check on things if needed.

Just got a call from the BHN guy who took my number down to see how things are. Guess I made some friends. Thanks to everyone involved!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

BHNtech gettin' some major love this morning .

I'm having an issue with my Samsung non-DVR box that cropped up last night but I'll be on vacation until next Friday so you'll get a pm from me then .

Hey no problem....could you extend that vacation a little bit and take me too

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Does anyone use the "Look Back" feature?

It is wonderful. I used it to watch "Revenge" and I Almost Got Away With It" after work early Thursday morning.

Gary: Is there a list handy of channels that it is available on?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

It is wonderful. I used it to watch "Revenge" and I Almost Got Away With It" after work early Thursday morning.

I absolutely love Look Back! On those nights when too much good stuff is on it comes in handy.

If I could take you Gary I would!

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Not sure and if not it's a good idea. Let me see what I can do on this one.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I absolutely love Look Back! On those nights when too much good stuff is on it comes in handy.

If I could take you Gary I would!

LOL thank you....

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gary: Thanks and sounds good.

Most everyone likes you here. Bright House has this campaign about being like a friend and you are definitely a friend to us.

Nayan: Have a great trip.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Almost switched over to D* the damn temptation of the NFL package since my Browns suck and almost are never on TV.

Just can't seem to pull the trigger. I've had to return what seems like a lot of boxes, and am not sure about my wiring either. In fact the non-DVR box in the back is dead and I've been too lazy to head over to UCF for a new one. They did send a guy out who said the wire to main TV was bad and he did change that one, but it makes me wonder if other runs are old and no good too.

I thought about maybe Whole-House DVR with the hope that they would really check on the wiring but maybe we can get it all done through here. Dtv was touting whole house DVR but I'd probably have the same issues as it looks like there are some shoddy installers out there. The main thing keeping me on is lightening as I mostly watch MLB.tv on my Roku but I do watch NBA, MLB network, college baseball, and the kids watch a lot of HBO, so right now sticking to Cable seems like the way to go. Outside of the boxes going bad I am fairly pleased with BHN.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well there's this page on the website, but it doesn't specify which shows are lookback shows http://applications.brighthouse.com/start-over/
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:

There are a couple of possibiltiies for this... one could be a signal issue and two it could be the box. About 2 seconds is normal for that box. If this drives you nuts I can get you into a different box. Let me know.

That 2 second delay is annoying. I find myself making selections twice - thinking the first one was not received but both eventually happening.

I see another poster said the new 8742HDC is faster - is that available in Melbourne and if so how do I get one?
Bill
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No need for me to tell my long story,but the bottom line is that I too had a problem that was solved by a team of techs installing all new cable from the pole to the cable box in my house. It's been 4 months without a single problem(not even a reboot)! None of this would have happened without the help of Gary(BHNTechXpert). From the consumer's point of view,Gary is the Most Valuable Player at Brighthouse!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That 2 second delay is annoying. I find myself making selections twice - thinking the first one was not received but both eventually happening.

I see another poster said the new 8742HDC is faster - is that available in Melbourne and if so how do I get one?
Bill

Just go to the office on Magnolia. Every time I've wanted a specific box they've had it.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronk View Post

Almost switched over to D* the damn temptation of the NFL package since my Browns suck and almost are never on TV.

Just can't seem to pull the trigger. I've had to return what seems like a lot of boxes, and am not sure about my wiring either. In fact the non-DVR box in the back is dead and I've been too lazy to head over to UCF for a new one. They did send a guy out who said the wire to main TV was bad and he did change that one, but it makes me wonder if other runs are old and no good too.

I thought about maybe Whole-House DVR with the hope that they would really check on the wiring but maybe we can get it all done through here. Dtv was touting whole house DVR but I'd probably have the same issues as it looks like there are some shoddy installers out there. The main thing keeping me on is lightening as I mostly watch MLB.tv on my Roku but I do watch NBA, MLB network, college baseball, and the kids watch a lot of HBO, so right now sticking to Cable seems like the way to go. Outside of the boxes going bad I am fairly pleased with BHN.

The only thing that I would want from Direct TV is NFL Sunday Ticket.

I hate how the NFL gives it to them exclusively.

It's the reason why I am not upset with Bright House about not have NFL Network/RedZone.

It's bad business for the NFL to make everyone pay big for NFL Network and not offer Sunday Ticket to those same customers.

Direct TV's deal for "Sunday Ticket" expires in 2014 but everyone expects an extension to get done.

While I'd like NFL Network for that RedZone channel, I will not be mad if no deal gets done.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

No need for me to tell my long story,but the bottom line is that I too had a problem that was solved by a team of techs installing all new cable from the pole to the cable box in my house. It's been 4 months without a single problem(not even a reboot)! None of this would have happened without the help of Gary(BHNTechXpert). From the consumer's point of view,Gary is the Most Valuable Player at Brighthouse!

Very kind of you sofast and I'm happy to have been able to assist

Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronk View Post

i have had nothing but great success with them. unfortunately, i have had a ton of bad luck with bhn's contractors who don't know their tooter from a hole in the ground!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Bill

Yes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement