Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #14491 of 20077 Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I'll open the BHNtechXpert suggestion box.

The only time I call the BHN CSR phone number is to report an outage. Then of course the response is always the same. "I don't see a reported outage or maintenance in your area and I don't get a response from your boxes. I can schedule a tech between..."

But the whole neighborhood is out. I try to tell the tech and they say the customers have to call before it will be considered an outage. Problem is that my neighbors are not very pro-active like I am. They figure BHN knows about it and will fix it. I have actually at times knocked on their door and told them to call BHN.

Anyway, here is my suggestion. If the CSR at the call center can look up my info so they can try to access my boxes, why can't their software automatically pull up other customers that live around me and test their boxes too. That way they could immediately know if it is a neighborhood outage and not have to wait for everyone to call.

I've pondered this for years and I think I have even posted this previously in this thread. BHNtechXpert, if you see any merit to this, please pass it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 20077 Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowiches View Post

I think I'll open the BHNtechXpert suggestion box.

The only time I call the BHN CSR phone number is to report an outage. Then of course the response is always the same. "I don't see a reported outage or maintenance in your area and I don't get a response from your boxes. I can schedule a tech between..."

But the whole neighborhood is out. I try to tell the tech and they say the customers have to call before it will be considered an outage. Problem is that my neighbors are not very pro-active like I am. They figure BHN knows about it and will fix it. I have actually at times knocked on their door and told them to call BHN.

Anyway, here is my suggestion. If the CSR at the call center can look up my info so they can try to access my boxes, why can't their software automatically pull up other customers that live around me and test their boxes too. That way they could immediately know if it is a neighborhood outage and not have to wait for everyone to call.

I've pondered this for years and I think I have even posted this previously in this thread. BHNtechXpert, if you see any merit to this, please pass it on.

They can tell if other devices are offline. In fact we have systems in place to detect such things automatically but it does take a few minutes for the event to be detected and then declared and then updated on the backend systems. It's not instantaneous by any stretch.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #14493 of 20077 Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Is this ops normal for the Cisco 8642HDC?
In almost every situation, this STB/DVR works fine and I can set up/schedule my future recordings just fine. However, when the current time is within about 5 minutes before the start time for a TV program that I now want to record, I can routinely advance the Guide to that TV program, thus highlighting it, but the STB will not allow me to set up the DVR to record it. Instead, I have to wait until the actual start time for the program, then manually hit the Record button on the remote. Normal?

Please enter password to view this signature.

post #14494 of 20077 Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

In almost every situation, this STB/DVR works fine and I can set up/schedule my future recordings just fine. However, when the current time is within about 5 minutes before the start time for a TV program that I now want to record, I can routinely advance the Guide to that TV program, thus highlighting it, but the STB will not allow me to set up the DVR to record it. Instead, I have to wait until the actual start time for the program, then manually hit the Record button on the remote. Normal?

Very good question and I don't have an immediate answer. Let me look into this and get back with you.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #14495 of 20077 Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post

Very good question and I don't have an immediate answer. Let me look into this and get back with you.

Same issue on the Samsung WHDVR boxes.
post #14496 of 20077 Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

when the current time is within about 5 minutes before the start time for a TV program that I now want to record, I can routinely advance the Guide to that TV program, thus highlighting it, but the STB will not allow me to set up the DVR to record it. Instead, I have to wait until the actual start time for the program, then manually hit the Record button on the remote. Normal?

In this situation, where using the select button just switches to the channel from the guide instead of bringing up the record options, use the record button in the guide instead and it should work.
post #14497 of 20077 Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

This also happens with the 8300HDC. It's been going on for several months now.
post #14498 of 20077 Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It is approaching the end of the month again. This means we will be getting our monthly notice in the paper.

Nothing new has been on the TWC notices but since we get HD every quarter and BHN announces 1 1/2 months ahead of time, we are due for a small update or we will likely get nothing this quarter.

We have been spoiled so far this year and know things on those carriage deals are getting dry but a one channel HD update would be nice even if it is a shopping channel so we can get that count closer to 200.

Something like Sundance HD, FUEL TV HD, a shopping channel HD or maybe an outliner like TV Japan or NHK World HD could be possible. After all, there are only 11 HD channels on the deals besides the Starz HD ones (Encore, Indieplex and Retroplex included) and the Fox Sports RSN's.

This could be a quarter we get nothing but let's hope for at least something and I'm pulling for Sundance HD.

On a final note, this will be the first cycle with George hunting down the notices except for this Friday. Let's see how he does.
post #14499 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

In this situation, where using the select button just switches to the channel from the guide instead of bringing up the record options, use the record button in the guide instead and it should work.

Thanks Kevin,
Your suggestion does indeed work! Seems I've been fixated on always using the remote's Select button to initiate the set up for my recordings, but I'll now start using the Record button instead.
What a great forum we have here!

Please enter password to view this signature.
post #14500 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Had a show / channel not on the record list record last night. It bumped off something that was supposed to record. I don't know what, when, or how because the wife was fuming so much she wouldn't leave it for me to look at. If I figure it out later I'll post.
post #14501 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM

I think I found the problem. Last night Bridezillas on WE 1272 at 10:00 recorded. The first word in the info is "Shannen's." We have a show in the record manager called "Shannen Says." with a higher priority than the show it bumped. Seems to me it should be able to distinguish between show title and show description.

BHNtechXpert, do you want me to report this elsewhere and if so, what format?

More info: I looked up in zap-2-it and the info listed for the bridzillas on the DVR was the info for this weeks Shannen Says in zap-2-it. The guide got the shows ALL screwed up. Maybe it's time for a new guide company.
post #14502 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

Thank you Kevin. I'm still working on a proper response to this. I must confess the last two days have left me scrambling for every last second. I hope to have a better answer by tomorrow late.

post #14503 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowiches View Post

I think I found the problem. Last night Bridezillas on WE 1272 at 10:00 recorded. The first word in the info is "Shannen's." We have a show in the record manager called "Shannen Says." with a higher priority than the show it bumped. Seems to me it should be able to distinguish between show title and show description.

BHNtechXpert, do you want me to report this elsewhere and if so, what format?

More info: I looked up in zap-2-it and the info listed for the bridzillas on the DVR was the info for this weeks Shannen Says in zap-2-it. The guide got the shows ALL screwed up. Maybe it's time for a new guide company.

Or is it possible that in her haste she selected the wrong shannon and didn't realize it? Just asking

post #14504 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

It is approaching the end of the month again. This means we will be getting our monthly notice in the paper.

Nothing new has been on the TWC notices but since we get HD every quarter and BHN announces 1 1/2 months ahead of time, we are due for a small update or we will likely get nothing this quarter.

We have been spoiled so far this year and know things on those carriage deals are getting dry but a one channel HD update would be nice even if it is a shopping channel so we can get that count closer to 200.

Something like Sundance HD, FUEL TV HD, a shopping channel HD or maybe an outliner like TV Japan or NHK World HD could be possible. After all, there are only 11 HD channels on the deals besides the Starz HD ones (Encore, Indieplex and Retroplex included) and the Fox Sports RSN's.

This could be a quarter we get nothing but let's hope for at least something and I'm pulling for Sundance HD.

On a final note, this will be the first cycle with George hunting down the notices except for this Friday. Let's see how he does.

Since we've been so good you won't be too disappointed if we only come back with "The Dog Walking Channe HD" this time around would you?

Just kidding Thanks for your passion HDOrlando and one of these days send me an email please.

post #14505 of 20077 Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thank you Kevin. I'm still working on a proper response to this. I must confess the last two days have left me scrambling for every last second. I hope to have a better answer by tomorrow late.

This is not a new thing. Navigator has always acted this way for me when close to the airtime of a show you're using the select button on.
post #14506 of 20077 Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Since we've been so good you won't be too disappointed if we only come back with "The Dog Walking Channe HD" this time around would you?

Just kidding Thanks for your passion HDOrlando and one of these days send me an email please.

Gary,

If we just get just one HD channel, that will be great.

I am aware based on my research that there is not much to add off of TWC carriage deals anyway. It is nice how your starting to launch things everywhere but the Panhandle around the same time (C-Span 2 and 3 HD, Disney Jr HD, NESN HD).

My passion is just like those Direct TV customers on some other forum who get an HD announcement sometimes at 3 AM in the morning from an insider.

I will definitely E-Mail sometime.
post #14507 of 20077 Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Or is it possible that in her haste she selected the wrong shannon and didn't realize it? Just asking

Nope. Saw it myself. Shannen Says was not a selected recording from the guide, it is in the recording manager. The show description on Zap-2-it for this weeks episode of Shannen Says is the exact description the DVR showed on the recorded show Bridezillas. And the description Zap-2-it had for Bridezillas wasn't close. This was definitely the fault of the guide company. I'm guessing there could possibly be some data we don't see that made the DVR think the show was Shannen Says since the description was for that show. Uggh
post #14508 of 20077 Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Good morning from Walt Disney World! Just an FYI: Disney used to have either their own cable/sat service but sometime in the past month they have made a deal with the devil....err, I mean DirecTV. I am not sure who/what they used before but it was so much better than what they have now. It looks awful, everything is pixillated and nothing, save for a few shows, is in HD. If I were someone thinking of switching and watching this I'd stay with my cable company!

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
post #14509 of 20077 Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nayan,

Hotel HD is not good at all and yes I prefer BHN to D* anyday.
post #14510 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like no notice today which means we will be getting it on Monday unless we missed it but I doubt that.

I'll be grabbing the paper early but will let George post hopefully good news on Monday.
post #14511 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Nayan,

Hotel HD is not good at all and yes I prefer BHN to DTV anyday.

and i prefer D* to bhn any day of the week!!
post #14512 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am sure D* is much better in a different environment but there it was just awful. Trying to watch the hockey games when it was dropping out and pixellating was horrid. At the bars though there were no issues, just in the room.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
post #14513 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I am sure D* is much better in a different environment but there it was just awful. Trying to watch the hockey games when it was dropping out and pixellating was horrid. At the bars though there were no issues, just in the room.

must be just the hotel because D* has excellent picture quality.
post #14514 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM

The cynic in me says they do it on purpose so you're not comfortable in your room. Can't make any money if you're there. Sounds like it worked on Nayan too. She ended up spending $ in a bar!
post #14515 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LOL yeah, you get a few Bruins fan together in a bar and watch out!

post #14516 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Looks like no notice today which means we will be getting it on Monday unless we missed it but I doubt that.

I'll be grabbing the paper early but will let George post hopefully good news on Monday.

It will print on 4/30 HDOrlando Still need to get with me when you get a moment please

I will give you a hint though for 4/30 I think you will be happy

post #14517 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

It will print on 4/30 HDOrlando Still need to get with me when you get a moment please

I will give you a hint though for 4/30 I think you will be happy

I hope its NFL Network BHNtXpert,there are 13 thursday night games being shown this season and many of us subs/football fans are ready to go after the suits with pitchforks and torches if a deal does not get done soon..

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E (In my Future )| XBR65X950B|XBR55X900B|2-BR100/Subs|4K X10 Player
Denon - X7200WA|Roku Ultra 4k|PS4
Mirage Omnisat V2 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up with SVS PB2000 Sub
post #14518 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gary: Sounds good and I E-Mailed you.

PeterLewis: If NFL Network happens, I doubt we hear anything until at least August.

My gut tells me were getting HD and it might just be Sundance HD and possibly others on the carriage deals. It's also possible that TWC/BHN has come to an agreement to carry AXS.TV HD/ HDNet Movies. I do not have a need for either but it would knock out one of the big 3.
post #14519 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would love NFL Network, as I did check it out at Disney and they had a couple shows I would watch. AXS and HDNet Movies would be nice too. If we do not get NFL Network, follow the link in my signature. I really want to make it happen this year.

post #14520 of 20077 Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Gary: Sounds good and I E-Mailed you.

PeterLewis: If NFL Network happens, I doubt we hear anything until at least August.

My gut tells me were getting HD and it might just be Sundance HD and possibly others on the carriage deals. It's also possible that TWC/BHN has come to an agreement to carry AXS.TV HD/ HDNet Movies. I do not have a need for either but it would knock out one of the big 3.

Wonder what it is hopefully it is something good. It might be the NFL Network just maybe as another cable company just got a deal done with the NFL Network. I have seen channels added before that are out of season such as Gunnison Colorado getting MLB Network HD when the season is almost over. So it might be the NFL Network!

My TWC area is starting to deploy Cisco and Samsung cable boxes in addition to Motorola boxes all of these new Boxes are using DSG (DOCSIS SETTOP GATEWAY) Cable modems are used for communications also the DCX-M motorola boxes use it as well.

So my system is deploying:

Samsung SMT-3362
Samsung SMT-3372
Cisco 4742HDC
Cisco 8742HDC
Motorola DCX3400M
Motorola DCX3200Mp2
Motorola DCX3510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version