Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum - Page 671 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 289Likes

post #20101 of 20204 Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It's sickening but with the channels being trimmed back and Direct TV mostly caught up in HD, it becomes a more attractive option especially since they have better equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20102 of 20204 Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have an HR34 (which is the first Genie) and I find the box to be cumbersome and slow. I find channels switch much slower than with cable. I would love to have a cable company like Spectrum in my area, or even some of the stronger PA regionals like Blue Ridge and Service Electric. Unfortunately, I live in a Comcast area who has only half the HD channels that other Comcast areas have, and even those are missing a lot of stuff I have. It's also horribly expensive once you're off contract.

I would switch from DirecTV in a heartbeat if I could. My only other actual option is Dish, and I want no part of that. The grass isn't always greener.
post #20103 of 20204 Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
I would upgrade to either an HR44 or HR54 if you plan on staying with them. Or you could go streaming since there's plenty of options out there now. I love my Genie too much to leave, otherwise I'd hit up one of the streaming services before I'd go to Spectrum, given their attitude towards customers.
DrDon likes this.

My flabber has been gasted and my gob has been smacked. Anything else?

post #20104 of 20204 Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
It's also horribly expensive once you're off contract.
I assume you attempted to get put back on promo pricing, no? I've ALWAYS been on some sort of promo since I went triple play with them years ago; as soon as it runs out, I simply go to our local office & they put me back on - easy-peasy & price-locked f/2 years now. It may not be cheap, but it's definitely CHEAPER than paying rack rate!

Quote:
My only other actual option is Dish, and I want no part of that.
What's so wrong w/DISH? I'll take it ANY day over dealing with the derelicts at AT&T that are running that place!
DISH also put me back on a 2-year price lock at the same price as new subs.
post #20105 of 20204 Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
I assume you attempted to get put back on promo pricing, no? I've ALWAYS been on some sort of promo since I went triple play with them years ago; as soon as it runs out, I simply go to our local office & they put me back on - easy-peasy & price-locked f/2 years now. It may not be cheap, but it's definitely CHEAPER than paying rack rate!...
This sounds very interesting. By "triple play" I assume you mean TV+internet+phone. What is the dollar value and/or percentage discount you're getting from Spectrum? They recently told me that they don't do promotional/discount pricing. My next bill will be the full load (no discounts).

Please enter password to view this signature.
post #20106 of 20204 Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
This sounds very interesting. By "triple play" I assume you mean TV+internet+phone. What is the dollar value and/or percentage discount you're getting from Spectrum? They recently told me that they don't do promotional/discount pricing. My next bill will be the full load (no discounts).
Sadly this is true. They don't even have a retention department and their attitude now is 'take it or leave it'. Judging by how many people I have seen at the local office dropping off equipment I say many are going for the 'leave it' part.

post #20107 of 20204 Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
I assume you attempted to get put back on promo pricing, no? I've ALWAYS been on some sort of promo since I went triple play with them years ago; as soon as it runs out, I simply go to our local office & they put me back on - easy-peasy & price-locked f/2 years now. It may not be cheap, but it's definitely CHEAPER than paying rack rate!

What's so wrong w/DISH? I'll take it ANY day over dealing with the derelicts at AT&T that are running that place!
DISH also put me back on a 2-year price lock at the same price as new subs.
I only have internet through Comcast. My television is separate and only through DirecTV. When I have contacted them about reducing my rate, they will only put me back on some sort of promotion if I reup with another contract. I am not willing to do that, as I know I will be moving at some point soon. When it comes to Comcast, our local office has since closed. All things are done through a Service Center far away.

As for Dish, I had a terrible experience with them years ago, and have found their HD when I've seen it to look awful. They also do not carry the most important channel to me (a local regional sports network) as a full-time HD feed, or at least didn't for many years.
post #20108 of 20204 Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could never do Dish because of all the disputes they seem to have.

Because I need Internet, I'll probably get it through Spectrum but if I ever dump them for TV, I'll probably go to Direct TV.
post #20109 of 20204 Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I updated the list in my signature for the first time since January.

There really is not much they could add.

If they do, the HD versions of Babyfirst, Discovery Life and HSN2 would be the prime targets.

Other possibilities would be the one new Team HD channel (NBA league Pass) and 5 new Game HD Channels (MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice).

International, Spanish-Language, religious channels and maybe West Coast premiums could be possible.

It does not seem likely Flix, Showtime Family Zone or Epix Drive-In are going to go HD as anything not already in HD probably does not go that way and could be on the chopping block.

If we do get new HD, they might not be listed in the 4 digit sections with the other HD channels as the new Impact Network is only on channel 232 and not on the other channel 1124 that it was scheduled to be on.

It's possible they will re-do the channel numbers although they are pretty lazy given how Esquire and Chiller remained in the guide for over a month after they were pulled.

With Chiller likely shutting down and Boomerang likely transitioning into an APP, there really is no reason to hunt down notices even if there are any.

We are now on watch for what gets dropped until 4K.

We all need to occasionally pop in maybe at least once a week so we keep in touch and keep the thread going.
Nayan likes this.
post #20110 of 20204 Old 06-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Wrong market post removed.

Note: Look before posting. This is the ORLANDO thread. Thanks.
HDOrlando likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #20111 of 20204 Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's sad HDO . I remember the days when we couldn't wait until the notices came out, but you're right, there's really no reason to keep an eye out anymore.

I do wonder how negotiations will go when it's time for them to come up. It certainly won't look good if there are disputes, but the way Spectrum seems to be run these days it looks like you all could be in for a few. One new thing to watch for is the Olympics Channel, scheduled to go live in July.
HDOrlando likes this.

post #20112 of 20204 Old 06-04-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
It's sad HDO . I remember the days when we couldn't wait until the notices came out, but you're right, there's really no reason to keep an eye out anymore.

I do wonder how negotiations will go when it's time for them to come up. It certainly won't look good if there are disputes, but the way Spectrum seems to be run these days it looks like you all could be in for a few. One new thing to watch for is the Olympics Channel, scheduled to go live in July.
The Olympics Channel is not formally replacing Universal HD so it will be interesting to see if everyone gets it in July.

Given how the indie channels are feeling the squeeze, it will mostly be about when the conglomerate is up and what Spectrum leverages them into dropping.
Nayan likes this.
post #20113 of 20204 Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post
Quote:

The Olympics Channel is not formally replacing Universal HD so it will be interesting to see if everyone gets it in July.

Given how the indie channels are feeling the squeeze, it will mostly be about when the conglomerate is up and what Spectrum leverages them into dropping.
I still have bright house grandfather package because spectrum doesn't have whole home. I wonder what package it will be in and if people still sticking to their bright house line up will get Olympic channel.
post #20114 of 20204 Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsdavid View Post
I still have bright house grandfather package because spectrum doesn't have whole home. I wonder what package it will be in and if people still sticking to their bright house line up will get Olympic channel.
Good question.

They are doing whatever they can to get people to give those up.

If you want to drop any channels or even drop a service, they make you give up your legacy package.

It will likely be similar to the channel that shutdown 1 1/2 years ago.
post #20115 of 20204 Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM

There's not a lot for Spectrum to add because they have most everything, and the legacy BHN customers have slightly more complete lineups than everyone else. You guys got some of the last Viacom HD channels that legacy Charter didn't get yet (but some legacy TWC areas did). It really only leaves some things they carry like Discovery Life, BabyFirst TV that are out there.

I would guess Olympics Channel HD will be in the Spectrum Gold package. I can't imagine minor sports like that commanding coverage for any other tier. I do think they will push for more than a Sports tier.

We haven't seen legacy Charter areas that got NBA TV get NBA League Pass yet, so that could be something to spot for in the Fall when the 2017-18 season begins. The only provider I've seen launch the Team 10 HD and Game 10-14 HD channels is Cox. AT&T U-Verse always had a Team 10 channel in HD for League Pass, but still does not carry Extra Innings or Center Ice, to my knowledge.

Spectrum doesn't update their programming notice page, so unless they turn up in a newspaper, there's not much to see. And at this point, I think it's more channels shutting down than new channels coming. The market is in decline, and I don't think it's coming back. The streaming cat is out of the bag, sports was one of the big engines keeping the pay TV sphere alive, and it's sagging now too.
HDOrlando likes this.
post #20116 of 20204 Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Theirs some other Sprectrum Sports Channels because get Sprectrum Sports LA Channels or other regional Sports ones other then FSN's because shows same things other then local Teams or other channels that have just launched or even QVC2 if it goes HD same with HSN2?
post #20117 of 20204 Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
There's not a lot for Spectrum to add because they have most everything, and the legacy BHN customers have slightly more complete lineups than everyone else. You guys got some of the last Viacom HD channels that legacy Charter didn't get yet (but some legacy TWC areas did). It really only leaves some things they carry like Discovery Life, BabyFirst TV that are out there.

I would guess Olympics Channel HD will be in the Spectrum Gold package. I can't imagine minor sports like that commanding coverage for any other tier. I do think they will push for more than a Sports tier.

We haven't seen legacy Charter areas that got NBA TV get NBA League Pass yet, so that could be something to spot for in the Fall when the 2017-18 season begins. The only provider I've seen launch the Team 10 HD and Game 10-14 HD channels is Cox. AT&T U-Verse always had a Team 10 channel in HD for League Pass, but still does not carry Extra Innings or Center Ice, to my knowledge.

Spectrum doesn't update their programming notice page, so unless they turn up in a newspaper, there's not much to see. And at this point, I think it's more channels shutting down than new channels coming. The market is in decline, and I don't think it's coming back. The streaming cat is out of the bag, sports was one of the big engines keeping the pay TV sphere alive, and it's sagging now too.
the Olympic is already live via the Olympic channel app and it's free.
post #20118 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOMRJSURF View Post
Theirs some other Sprectrum Sports Channels because get Sprectrum Sports LA Channels or other regional Sports ones other then FSN's because shows same things other then local Teams or other channels that have just launched or even QVC2 if it goes HD same with HSN2?
Those are regional channels, which means you will not see the games on those channels due to blackout rules. We have Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida, which means we see Marlins, Rays, Magic, etc. games, but any other of the RSN's will have their games blacked out, even though you still pay for them if they are on your system.
DrDon and HDOrlando like this.

post #20119 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 05:22 AM

QVC2 HD and HSN2 HD have already been launched. The legacy BHN areas have QVC2 HD already, the legacy Charter areas just got both of them, and the legacy TWC areas mostly have too.

It seems carrying the Spectrum Sports channels from LA out-of-market has fallen out of favor with Charter. I've noticed in the legacy TWC markets that it's only on old TWC plans. Considering Charter has never owned an RSN, I suspect the LA properties will be sold at some point to Fox or AT&T, since Comcast has no profile in Southern California. The only legacy Charter systems that got the Spectrum SportsNet channels were those in North Texas, and that was mostly a TWC market anyway. I suspect that was done just to merge all the contracts and make sure that everyone was on 1 unified platform.
post #20120 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
QVC2 HD and HSN2 HD have already been launched. The legacy BHN areas have QVC2 HD already, the legacy Charter areas just got both of them, and the legacy TWC areas mostly have too.
QVC2 is a rebranding of QVC Plus.

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
Moxi Enhanced DVR
Samsung Enhanced DVR
post #20121 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just want AXS. It's in the guide, just not part of my package that came over from Brighthouse. I called and they said I would have to move to a different package that will cost ~$20/month more. What BS.

Last edited by vegout; 06-06-2017 at 06:13 AM.
post #20122 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Those are regional channels, which means you will not see the games on those channels due to blackout rules. We have Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida, which means we see Marlins, Rays, Magic, etc. games, but any other of the RSN's will have their games blacked out, even though you still pay for them if they are on your system.
I don't know if BHN Orlando did, but BHN Detroit added Sportsnet LA ..and hiked fees to cover the expense. I'm sure it was all an attempt to recover some of the money TW spent on Dodger rights. Thing is, not only were the live games blacked out, but so were the replays. So, there was nothing useful on the channel beyond a few studio shows of little interest to anyone outside of LA. I'm sure Detroit is home to literally tens of Angelenos.

Yeah, there's no need to add regional sports nets beyond YES and NESN as Florida is home to a TON of East Coasters.
Nayan and HDOrlando like this.

post #20123 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know they did add both YES and NESN so that was a good choice, but the others I think are a waste since there's no live games and lot's of paid averts. I miss having them on D*, but I don't want to pay for umpteen channels that I won't watch for two or three that I will.

post #20124 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegout View Post
I just want AXS. It's in the guide, just not part of my package that came over from Brighthouse. I called and they said I would have to move to a different package that will cost ~$20/month more. What BS.
Ew . I was upset when BHN removed it and didn't realize how much I missed it until I went on vacation and where I was staying had it. It wasn't long after I switched to D* (well, there other reasons but that was one of them). Sounds like a money-grab on Spectrums part, which is unfortunate.

post #20125 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HSN2 HD could be on the way based on OM's info.

I doubt any Spectrum RSN's get added here.

BHN did add the TWC RSN's to our systems when the channels launched but they are of course National Feeds.

They used to have 4 out of market Fox Sports RSN's but those were truly useless and dropped.

YES and NESN have good national feeds but they are dropped once you switch over to Spectrum.

AXS.TV is a bait channel to get people to switch over to Spectrum. They really want everyone off Legacy packages. It was nice that they gave us FUSE and RFD-TV though so we are matched up HD wise with Bakersfield.

What really ticks me off is when I get out of my rental room, I'll have to get Spectrum Gold to keep American Heroes Channel but at least I'll be able to get HBO and Showtime with Silver.
post #20126 of 20204 Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sprectrumkc still has Yes and NESN and shows RED Sox's and Yankees Games on them in KC area,still Carries Dodgers and Lakers Channels but not Sun Sports or SYN. SYN shows Mets Games. Other channels to watch for in HD is maybe other Shopping,Premium Movie Channels.
post #20127 of 20204 Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOMRJSURF View Post
Sprectrumkc still has Yes and NESN and shows RED Sox's and Yankees Games on them in KC area.
Not live games, they don't. If you have the MLB Extra Innings package, then you'll see the YES/NESN feeds on the InDemand channels. But the YES/NESN out-of-market feeds don't contain live games.

For example, if you'll check your listings, tonight at 7, YES is carrying drag racing. NESN has softball and wrestling. The Yankees are playing the Red Sox at that time. You'll get the postgame shows. You might get the replay of the game. But if you tune 339 or 342 between 7 and 9, tonight, you won't see the game.

To that end, there's no reason for Spectrum Orlando to waste precious bandwidth on RSNs that carry little of anything of interest and no professional sports. These days, the collegiate sports one previously needed far-flung RSNs to view are available on other channels or by other means.

So, let's drop the discussion of SpectrumKC in the Spectrum Orlando thread. Thanks.
Nayan, HDOrlando and oriolesmagic like this.

post #20128 of 20204 Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A bit of rebranding news for you guys, Spike is becoming the Paramount Network in January. I posted the link in HOTP and I'll post it here for ya .

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcast...into-paramount

It also appears that Spectrum is on board with the new Olympics Channel and that you guys will be getting it next month. Universal HD will cease operations July 14th and the new channel goes live on the 15th.

post #20129 of 20204 Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It really has not been a men's network for years.

I just hope they keep Cops or move it to another Viacom Network.

It does sound like the Paramount Channel is going to have some good programming though.
post #20130 of 20204 Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM

We got our first glimpse of the new Viacom carriage deal with Altice, and Nick Music and BET Soul are being dropped on August 25th.

It may be a sign these SD only channels with very low ratings are on the way out.
HDOrlando likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page