AVS Forum banner

Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum

2M views 20K replies 588 participants last post by  Nayan 
#1 ·
Central Florida Spring 2004 thread

Welcome to the new Central Florida Spring 2004 thread!

The new season is on us and that means more HD!!! Several new HD channels are in the offering and more to come later this year. Hopefully the cable and satellite services will be able to deliver them to us.

Link back to the old Central Florida Winter 2004 thread for reference:

Winter 2004 Thread

WRDQ-DT has finally returned to the air. Fox should be in HD by late summer or early fall.

Here is a list of contacts for many local stations you may want to contact if the station is experiencing technical problems or your STB is encountering problems with their signal.

Orlando station's emails:

WESH: Richard.Monn@Hearst.com

WKCF: addalia@wb18.com

WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com

WKMG: Frank Torbert techquestions@local6.com or Frank Z webchannel@wkmg.com

WCEU: SCHWARB@dbcc.edu

WOFL/WRBW: Unlisted

WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org

WOPX: Unknown

WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu

WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
. When things are not then they are supposed to fix it instantly by correcting the problem. In this case all it would have taken is for someone at BHN to change the input channel they are taking for WKMG-HD and the HD would have passed through from the correct source. BHN should have had someone monitoring things on this event in particular because they have been promoting this event left and right.

So no contractual issues stoping them from changing which channel they broadcast? And the second question is how it is going to be with all the golf games that CBS has lined up............

Also regarding the multicasting - I think that when I changed to the digital channel last night it showed the CBS game as normal which would mean that it was a 1080i upconvert. How much bandwidth does a 1080i upconvert take??? Is this the reason why the HD game looked so bad, because they wasted bandwidth not on a SD multicast, but basically by sending out two HD feeds - one with an HD game and one with an SD game or does an upconvert not take more bandwidth than an sd????

#3 ·
Two things:

#1) I stated this earlier in a reply, BUT, WKMG dropped their subchannels for the Florida/FSU football game, and for the Superbowl. We should assume that they will do the same for the Final Four!

#2) Is it just a gliche with me? I get an email message EVERY time someone replies to this thread. Usually, I get a message from the first reply, and the server knows not to send me anymore 'til I come back to AVS.

#4 ·
Yeah same here I have been getting emails with every reply to every thread I subscribe to, I would assume they are working on something. I think it has stopped as of this morning.

#6 ·
WFTV changed it's subchannel lineup

Old

39.1 (9.1) - WFTV-HD

39.2 (9.2) - Eyewitness News (radar/scrolling WFTV.com headlines)

This Afternoon

39.1 (9.1) - WFTV-SD (radar/scrolling WFTV.com headlines)

39.2 (9.2) - WFTV-HD

Presently

39.1 (9.1) - WFTV-DT (radar/scrolling WFTV.com headlines)

39.2 (9.2) - WFTV-HD

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by satpro
James are you seeing intermittent flashes of video on WFTV-DT. Some of my receivers are refusing to lock the signal. I think they have a major conflict in their maps.

WBCC-DT 30.2 is eventually going to be UCF-TV

UCF-TV was supposed to be ready next month.

Also WFTV-HD (actually an ABC problem as this was noticed on WFTS-DT as well) the background and main audio channels were reversed.

I don't really notice any flashes on WFTV-DT.

#9 ·
Correction to WFTV-DT post there were intermittent flashes this morning that I noticed on 39.2

This afternoon the channels have been realigned back to where they were!

39.1 (WFTV-HD)

39.2 (WFTV-DT)

#11 ·
My PC tuner card (Hauppauge WIN-TV D) did not malfunction at all yesterday although my card does not utilize PSIP (b/c the tuning comes in like 39.1 instead of 9.1, the only PSIP available is the text ID tag if the station carries).

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by james32746
UCF-TV was supposed to be ready next month.

Interesting, I had not heard WBCC is going to be run by UCF. I go to UCF and had been told by the guy that started the communications school that UCF did not want a TV station because of all it takes to run a station. Any more info on this? Will they move the studio to the Orlando campus? If so I may have a contact that could make a good future CFHDS tour.

#13 ·

Quote:
... I refuse to push HD using WKMG after this and guess what BHN you probably lost out on some money because I had several people coming over to help them in the decision making of getting an HDTV and digital cable - nice job now I will badmouth WKMG instead

Not to beat a dead horse, but I need to chime in again about the CBS/WKMG issue from last week. Sorry if I left the impression that the poor quality picture from BHN was some how Greg's fault -- not my intention. I have been participating in this forum for a while now and I for one appreciate Greg's contributions. I always look forward to what he has to say and I believe he tells it like it is.

The point I was trying to get across has to do with the "perception" of BHN by the "average" end user perhaps not unlike myself. The "average" customer of BHN doesn't care if the problem with the picture/audio coming into their house is BHN's fault, WKMG's fault, or the main CBS broadcasters fault. Since we (the customer) interface directly with BHN and pay BHN monthly fees, we perceive it as a BHN problem. This "perception" of poor quality from BHN can lead some of BHN's customers to say "adios" to cable and try something else. I would think that BHN would be concerned about this since they are in this business to make money (nothing wrong with that BTW).

I would hope/wish that BHN would convey this displeasure to CBS (or any other provider of cable content to BHN). Why would BHN be willing to pass along a "dumbed down" signal (or no HD signal at all with respect to some of the NCAA tourny games last week)? It makes YOU look BAD BHN. It reflects on YOU. Last time I checked, the "HD" in "HDTV" stood for "high-definition" -- not "hum drum".

If I'm watching a golf ball flying through the air at a rapid rate of speed next week during the CBS Masters broadcast and all I see is macro blocking and motion blurring instead of a little white ball, maybe I shold be contacting the sponsors of that CBS broadcast and let them know why I turned off the tv during an event that they are paying CBS millions of dollars to sponsor. Maybe that will get CBS's attention!?

#14 ·
All,

I've held back from commenting on this in order to make sure I really knew what had happened. My experience has shown that first reports are nearly always inaccurate, and that's been reinforced by this issue.

But Spriteman really hit the nail on the head. What I've found about why it happened doesn't matter. What does matter is that between BHN and WKMG, we jointly failed our customers on this. Period.

We know why, and those lessons, while unimportant here, will go a long way to preventing it from happening again.

My apologies that it happened. We've got a great relationship with the folks at WKMG, and together we will continue to make HD better in Orlando.

#16 ·
Thanks again to whoever it was that let me know about the $399 'DVI upgrade' to the new Toshiba model. Just to pass on a little more info...I asked if this upgrade would still be available when this year's models come out later in the year, but was told by the CSR Supervisor that this would be ending in May (take it for what it's worth of course).

Also, I was presented with an additional offer when I called. Currently I have the Toshiba 57H82 and for the $399, they were going to deliver a brand new 57H83 and take my old tv with them. OR, for $599, they would deliver a 57HX83 'Cinema Series' in replacement of my old TV...now correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounded like too good of a deal to pass up to replace my tv with about a year and a half of use with a brand new upgraded tv with more up-to-date technology??? Any reviews on the 'Cinema Series' tvs out there?

Just wanted to pass along for any other interested Toshiba owners...

#17 ·
Hey Greg, let me echo mwk here. When is BHN getting ESPN HD!! Also, why don't we get Fox Sports Florida? Being a transplanted Red Sox fan, it drives me nuts having all the Sox-DRays games blacked out and not have a channel that shows them!
My friend one appartment complex over has Adelphia and has the station, so I always have to pester him to go over and watch them.

#18 ·
I just got off the phone with BHN, after asking whether the Firewire port on my Pace box was now active or not. The friendly customer service lady said it MIGHT be active, but she wasn't allowed to tell me. Then she went on to tell me that if I tried to use it I would be responsible for any "damages" to the box, because BHN did not support the use of firewire. I expressed some scepticism about this "policy" and mentioned the FCC mandate, after which she put me on hold to ask her supervisor for guidance. When she came back she repeated her claim that the firewire port was "dangerous" to use because of "incompatible voltages". I swear to God that's exactly what I was told.

#20 ·
Yeah there is not even any type of 1394 connector on the 550HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.