41Likes

post #271 of 19062 Old 06-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Nope, it is controlled by ZIP code and DirecTV will not allow that channel in Florida per their agreement with Turner.

Bummer. There is still hope for TBS, however. Also, it might be possible to broadcast the HD Braves games on a "special events" channel like TWC is doing in some areas. See:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=411514
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 19062 Old 06-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is anyone else getting crappy reception (again!!) on WFTV-DT on BHN?? I can't get a picture for more than a second or two before it blocks up and goes away. The last game was like this also. Is this a local problem or an ABC problem?? Someone needs to get this fixed.
post #273 of 19062 Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I will answer my own question, I guess. I rebooted my box and it works fine. Wish I had thought of it sooner. Wonder if the box is going bad? Well at least I get to see the last 6 minutes in HD!!
post #274 of 19062 Old 06-13-2004, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anybody noticed that the 5.1 DD audio from WFTV is actually 4.1 since there is no sound from the front channel? I was watching the NBA game tonight and noticed that despite the logo "circle surround 5.1" on the screen. I thing this is a problem with the local station. I have 2 different setups with 2 different receivers/TV and both had no center channel sound.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #275 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
Anybody noticed that the 5.1 DD audio from WFTV is actually 4.1

Actually it's only 2 channel stereo. (It's just transmitted in a 5.1 stream with 4 channels silent)

"Circle Surround 5.1" is used to transport 5.1 channel sound over a normal stereo path.

My solution to the situation was to switch my FusionHDTV to 2 channel sound from S/PDIF and use my receivers Circle Surround capability to extract the 5.1 sound.

So the problem isn't with WFTV-DT. Still, if they wanted, they could set up a Circle Surround decoder to extract the 5.1 sound and then pipe the output into their Dolby Digital encoder so we wouldn't have to do any work on our end.
post #276 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kid. Both my receivers (2 different brands) do detect a dolby digital signal and a 4 separate channels coming in. When the signal is stereo my receivers indicate a dolby prologic sound. Exactely the same happens with channel 6 WKMG. If they are sending 4 channels , why can't they send 5?Your solution is a good one , though.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #277 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 AM

Does anyone know how much Olympic coverage NBC is planning in HD?

Not to answer my own question but i found this info. Link
post #278 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all, haven't post in quite a while...

I'm moving, and I have a BHN installation question that hopefully gmclaughlin or someone else who has gone through this may be able to help me with.

My new house has a media panel (structured wiring) with I believe a 6-way video splitter in it (not sure if it's amplified or not). I have one single RG6 run from outside to the panel.

I know that BHN charges PER ROOM to install. Do I order a single-room install, or is the purpose of the per-outlet install so that they will SERVICE that many number of outlets if there is a problem?

Based on my past experience, I'm hesitant to just ask a CSR this type of non-standard question. Any info that you all could provide here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
post #279 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichUF

I'm moving, and I have a BHN installation question that hopefully gmclaughlin or someone else who has gone through this may be able to help me with.

My new house has a media panel (structured wiring) with I believe a 6-way video splitter in it (not sure if it's amplified or not). I have one single RG6 run from outside to the panel.

I know that BHN charges PER ROOM to install. Do I order a single-room install, or is the purpose of the per-outlet install so that they will SERVICE that many number of outlets if there is a problem?

Based on my past experience, I'm hesitant to just ask a CSR this type of non-standard question. Any info that you all could provide here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

I can't speak to the ordering issue you asked about, but wanted to drop a note to check that amplifier and make sure it is a bi-directional amp. Most 'builder' installers put the cheapest thing in they can find, and most times, it is not a bi-directional amp. It is necessary to have a bi-direcitonal amp if you are using any Brighthouse box, since they need to talk back to Brighthouse for things like activation and to get guide information.

Just a thought to consider.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #280 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 12:17 PM

If you are getting any STB's or a cable modem the install is going to be included with the hardware, epically with the cable modem since they are required to bypass any amplifiers. Last time I checked they do not charge per room if they don't install STB's and if they don't have to run any wire. For example, if you were getting standard cable they should only charge you for the connection since you already have everything else.

They typically run specials for the install if you get digital cable and roadrunner, so I bet you can get away with a full install for very little, just don't let them try to charge you for connecting drops or for hooking up standard cable beyond the standard connection fee.

Anything else, Greg?

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #281 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 12:18 PM

Yeah Fred is right, and if you don't have what they need they will give you an amp. They should leave your house with everything working. No need to go out and buy another amp. I don't even put in amps, BHN does a good job of it

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #282 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

thanks for the info Fred.

I suspect it won't even be an amp at all, just a simple, cheap splitter that requires no power whatsoever. I suspect this as I've had to argue with the builder already about my need for a duplex receptacle in the panel which they've yet to pull wire for. The question I posed was what did they think I was going to do with all of the cat5 that goes there without any 110V power. I'm think hubs, routers, amplifiers, even a place to put wireless hardware...all kinds of reasons. One without power seems kind of silly to me.

What I don't understand about your post regarding the bi-directional amp is whether or not an amp is required for hi-def. I have BHN's HD box right now, but I'm in an apartment and have no idea what the wiring and other hardware is there.

If the builder gives me a simple splitter, will I have to get some kind of amplifier?

EDIT:: Oh yeah, I have the cable modem already. Wife just called me, and she's already contacted BHN Apparently there is NO CHARGE whatsoever for a transfer to new house as I'm already a customer. If this is true, then this is a new and improved TWC, er, BHN than I'm used to from long ago (some of you may have read some of my dated rants on the subject). Hopefully I'll have 110V should I need amps or whatever
post #283 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 01:39 PM

An amp is not necessarily required. BH will do whatever they need to get your install working. If that requires an amp the will put one in. If they need power and there is none at the panel they will use a power injector that comes with the amp. If they say its free let them come and do what they need to do I doubt you will have a problem. Hopefully you will not get a contractor.

What area are you in? I might be able to give you a contact if you have any problems.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #284 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Peter...

New home is in the southwest Orange County master-planned mega-development Horizon West. South of Winter Garden, north of Disney. Okay, okay, as much as I hate to say it because it sounds so stuffy, it's in Windermere there I said it (wife is quick to point that out, LOL)

I'm certain that once I get in and stick my antenna in the attic for OTA I'll have more questions about that A bit further away from the towers than I was in Ocoee, and my antenna was outside there.
post #285 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 04:40 PM

I second letting BTH do the install. I had 12 drops put in to wire every room in the house. cost me $10 a drop for the 8 drops that were new. They provided everything amps cable, wallplates. They ran a whole new line from the street to the house to tie in to the common ground. then the installer spent nearly 4 hours in my attic pulling cable.

NOTE
Make sure your builder is using RG6 cable for all pre installed coax cable. I think BTH will only use RG6 or better for digital installs.
post #286 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 04:44 PM

Peter I wish I had know a week earlier that you were doing VOOM installs. I would have had you do mine. No complaints, I would have just liked to throw the business your way.
post #287 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 07:36 PM

Thanks Rudy. Let us know how you like Voom!

On the type of cable, not that I am telling anyone to use it, just don't want to scare anyone. There is nothing wrong with RG-59. For cable's purpose it works fine and carries all of the channels they need, including those in the digital area. RG-6 is preferred not necessarily because of its extended bandwidth but because of the decreased signal attenuation over long runs. That's why BH uses RG-6.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #288 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
Thanks Kid. Both my receivers (2 different brands) do detect a dolby digital signal and a 4 separate channels coming in.

As I mentioned in my first post it's really just 2 channels encoded in a DD 5.1 (not 4) stream. (If you put you ears to the center channel and rear surrounds you won't hear anything.) I realize it can be confusing as your reciever's telling you it's a true 5.1 stream, but the proof is in the listening.

Quote:

When the signal is stereo my receivers indicate a dolby prologic sound. Exactely the same happens with channel 6 WKMG. If they are sending 4 channels , why can't they send 5?Your solution is a good one , though.

That happens because the 2 channels are actually transmitted via a DD 2 channel stream and not "wrapped" in a 5.1 stream like WFTV does 24/7 and WKMG does on occasion.

And to answer your final question they can (and do) send 5.1 audio, but the network source material has to originate in 5.1 (all ABC sitcoms and dramas do, no CBS shows do for the moment).
post #289 of 19062 Old 06-14-2004, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again Kid. Iguess I get the picture now.

post #290 of 19062 Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichUF

Thanks,
Rich

I just moved into a home in November that we had built with structured wiring and distributed audio going into a master panel in the garage. The builder's contractor ran all the wires and made all of the connections except the onr running from the street to the cable junction outside the house. When the BHN contractor came out to connect the cable, all he really did was run the cable from the BHN street box to the outside of the house. He did a good job but on the order sheet, he wrote down the 13 coax outlets that I have. My fist bill from BHN had an additional activation charge of about $60 for that when all the guy did was run the outside cable. The builder's AV contractor was there at the time and made sure all of the jacks were activated. The BHN contractor did not do that.

I called BHN for a waiver and they had to send another company rep out to verify that only 4 outlets were active before they would waive the extra fee. So not only did I have to take 4 hours off of work to save $60, but I'm sure it cost BHN more than $60 to send the guy out and verify that only 4 outlets were active. Further, I don't think the guy had much clue concerning structured wiring because I had to point everything out to him as to what cable ran where.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make it to pay attention to what the BHN installer writes on the order form as to active outlets, or you might also get hit with an extra fee that the contractor did not earn. Still, I think BHN should have credited me the $60 and not have to send a rep out to verify it.
post #291 of 19062 Old 06-17-2004, 09:04 PM

Do we have est. date of when the HD recorder on BHN??

PLEASE ADVISE!!!
post #292 of 19062 Old 06-17-2004, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Best guess on the SA8000HD from BHN is around mid August.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #293 of 19062 Old 06-18-2004, 07:10 AM

It has been my experience that if all Bright House does is come and run a drop from their tap to the side of your house (demarc) they should not charge you anything for how many live connections you have in the house. You should not have to pay a thing if they don't have to run any wires. That's what you pay the builder and his subcontractor for.

Sounds like in Gilley's case, it was a BH contractor taking advantage of the situation, as they probably do in many situations like that, and BH sent someone else out to audit the contractor as they often do.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #294 of 19062 Old 06-18-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
Sounds like in Gilley's case, it was a BH contractor taking advantage of the situation, as they probably do in many situations like that, and BH sent someone else out to audit the contractor as they often do.

But I still had to disconnect all of my outlets, except for the 4 with TV's connected, or BH was not going to waive the outlet activation charge. Of course, I have since reconnected the outlets in case I want to move a television to a different outlet.

Just keep an eye on the BH contractor and what he writes down on the paper.
post #295 of 19062 Old 06-18-2004, 07:54 AM

Which is why the whole thing is so stupid when the wiring is existing. Greg correct me if I am wrong, but no one should be charged for inside wiring if all that is done is an outside drop. This reminds me of the days when Cable Vision, who owned the franchise before TWC and BHN used to charge a monthly fees for how many drops were active.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #296 of 19062 Old 06-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

OK, now you are hitting on why I asked this BHN install question to begin with. I couldn't connect the dots between the "how many TV's are you going to want hooked up" and my media panel which has 20+ coax drops in it (yeah, you read that right).

The entire point of me purchasing the panel was so that I can control what goes where. I don't know how many outlets I will ultimately want to use. What I want is ONE single clean signal provided by BHN to inside my panel. I want verification at ONE TV that this signal is clean and within specs. I have ONE cable box that I rent, and on the other TVs I watch plain old analog.

I did confirm that my video hub is a SquareD Amplified/bi-directional one (model SDM16VAB) with can distribute signal to six locations, so I should be good there. I will NOT be happy if I get charged for six outlets. I've been told that the transfer will be $0, but I'm having a hard time believing that until I actually see it.
post #297 of 19062 Old 06-21-2004, 11:13 AM

Greg,
I picked up a DVR last week. Never know how I lived w/o it. Question is about the Aux input which is not enabled. Do you have any idea when it might be enabled. (I've found posts back to 12/2002 asking the same question) Scientific Atlanta ain't saying - In fact I think they suggest questions be directed to the service providers.
And 2nd - about the remotes. We have the 8400's (both for the DVR and PACE HD Box) but SA has newer models that they claim have more codes. Since I can't program either my Sony DVD player nor Sony HT system with the remote is there any chance on getting the new remotes?
post #298 of 19062 Old 06-21-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cruzer
Greg,
I picked up a DVR last week. Never know how I lived w/o it. Question is about the Aux input which is not enabled. Do you have any idea when it might be enabled. (I've found posts back to 12/2002 asking the same question) Scientific Atlanta ain't saying - In fact I think they suggest questions be directed to the service providers.
And 2nd - about the remotes. We have the 8400's (both for the DVR and PACE HD Box) but SA has newer models that they claim have more codes. Since I can't program either my Sony DVD player nor Sony HT system with the remote is there any chance on getting the new remotes?

My Sony DVD player is also my surround sound system. The DVD functions, but not the sound. How great it would be to control the volume on that from the cable remote. Also I have a Sony TV... and the TV/VIDEO aka... SOURCE button does not work my TV. Is this true? Are there newer remotes? Thanks for bringing this up!

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #299 of 19062 Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 AM

Just talked to a coworker with the same problem. Pace HD box, SA remote and Sony HT. He can't control the Sony HT at all. That makes at least 3 of us.
The only other solution I have is to run the audio from the Pace box to my TV. Then my TV has stereo outputs that I can run to the HT. That way I can control sound with the SA remote (controlling the TV sound out) but, then I lose Dolby Digital output of the Pace box. Also I have to leave the HT on.
I guess I could also plug the HT power into the Pace box and then select it to be switched but then I don't remember if the HT system comes up in video mode or not. Maybe that will work for your system.
post #300 of 19062 Old 06-22-2004, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Why not buy a programmable / learning remote instead of rewiring your system?

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page