Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2971 of 18915 Old 05-24-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The std, hrc, irc is only used when tuning BHN analog service via coax. The 8300HD should use the component or hdmi input connection.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 18915 Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

The std, hrc, irc is only used when tuning BHN analog service via coax. The 8300HD should use the component or hdmi input connection.

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated. Jim
post #2973 of 18915 Old 05-24-2006, 11:00 AM

Hey Barry, let me pick your brain for a minute.

I have a Sony HD DVR that gets its updated tv schedule each night. This is supposed to be obtain nightly from the local pbs station via its analog signal. I have a cable card inserted into this DVR. If I keep the cable card inserted, I do not receive my tv schedule. If I remove the card and just utilize the coax only connection then I will get the tv schedule nightly.

My suspicion is that since BHN has mapped the digital channels to the lower level channels that I do not get the analog signal for the pbs station and thus no updated tv schedule.

Do you know if it is possible to have my individual cable card set up so that I do not receive the digital mapping for the lower tier channels so that I can receive my nightly tv schedule update? If yes, how do I express it to the customer service people in BHN lingo so that the CSR would understand my request?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Adios
post #2974 of 18915 Old 05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

No language exists to make a CSR understand anything not wriiten in a flip book.

How about using antenna input 1 for BHN/Cable card and antenna input 2 for off air to download the guide data from pbs analog.

post #2975 of 18915 Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM

I noticed that WKMG-DT is back to "stretching" the news this morning.

Don
post #2976 of 18915 Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

lol, how pathetic...
post #2977 of 18915 Old 05-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in 32836. Has anyone else noticed this: Twice this week, when I go to the guide or the list of recordings, the upper half of the display is missing scan lines so it looks like it is flickering. A reboot fixes it but I hadn't seen this before this week.

Jim
post #2978 of 18915 Old 05-27-2006, 10:48 AM

I'm in 32836. Has anyone else noticed this: Twice this week, when I go to the guide or the list of recordings on my 8300HD, the upper half of the display is missing scan lines so it looks like it is flickering. A reboot fixes it but I hadn't seen this before this week.

Jim

Actually, I removed 480i from the resolutions to pass and it fixed it. Another bug?
post #2979 of 18915 Old 05-29-2006, 07:22 PM

I've started seeing a new problem over the last few days. I believe I saw some similar reports posted here recently.

I noticed that when I tune to ch 61, I get a grey screen with no audio. If I leave it there for a minute or two, the box will reboot. I have found this behavior on a couple of channels (28, 60, 61, and more). I did this 3 times tonight - it rebooted each time.

After playing with this for a while, I discovered that I can hit the 'swap' button to view the 2nd tuner and that tuner can go to those channels with no problems. If I 'swap' back to the first tuner, I get the grey screen and another crash.

So one tuner works while the other crashes the box, but only on some channels.

I guess it's time to swap out the box...again.

I suppose I can either have a marathon session of watching what I've recorded or lose 15 hours of recordings. Have I mentioned that they REALLY need to come up with a way to transfer your recordings/schedules/setups when they swap out a box?

FLBob
Melbourne
post #2980 of 18915 Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM

I also have been having the lockups/hickups/glitches etc as of late. it started only on my high ddef ESPN and tnt, now its happening everywhere, even SD channels. i called bight house today and they said they have not heard of the problem. they suggested come in and switch out the box. but if others are having the same problem, then i guess i wont waste my time driving out there. Ill give it a few more days. I would urge anyone else in the orlando area having the problem to also call up brighthouse and report the problem
post #2981 of 18915 Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The stutter for me is back again especially on Fox which is really the worst. I dont know why this keeps coming back
post #2982 of 18915 Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM

Barry-

Any news on a full release software update in the near future? It seems like BH has has plenty of time to test their latest update.

Thanks!
Justin
post #2983 of 18915 Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not heard anything lately from BHN. If the testing uncovered multiple bugs then the software release would be delayed. Right now I am working on EDID files for displays. The last release 1.8.112 switched on the EDID detection and every display with a badly written file lost half of its available resolutions from the 8300 via hdmi. If your interested in reading about the other markets where the customers are the passport beta testers then the national threads talking about version 2.5 might interest you. I want bug fixes and stability but aptiv is working on new "features".

In addition to products for new platforms, Aptiv will present new versions of Passport, Passport DCT and Passport Echo. New applications for the Motorola DCT platform include Interactive Video Mosaic, iSubscribe, Showrunner VOD, Remote Wizard, Passport Weather, and PassTime Puzzles. Aptiv will also demonstrate Multi-Room DVR operating on both of the predominant headend network systems and set-top types.

Featured Highlights:

* Video Mosaic- enables viewers to watch multiple scaled video streams on a single channel, listen to the individual audio feeds by highlighting the videos, and launch services by highlighting and selecting channels. Channels can be grouped by thematic genre, such as News, Kids, and Sports. For example, a News Mosaic channel might display video streams from several of the major broadcast news organizations.
* iSubscribe - is an innovative tool that enables viewers to purchase service offerings with their remote control. Designed to encourage impulse subscriptions through its simple, intuitive interface, iSubscribe provides viewers with a quick and easy way to get the services they want - when they want them. With just a few button clicks, viewers can select an offer for services, obtain detailed terms, conditions and pricing information, and purchase a subscription.
* Showrunner VOD- is a fully integrated Video On Demand solution that provides seamless on demand functionality within Passport, Passport DCT and Passport Echo
* Remote Wizard- is an interactive tool that teaches customers how to program their remotes to control alternative devices such as a TV or VCR- new to Passport Echo for the Motorola DCT platform
* Passport Weather- provides a 5 day weather forecast for local and multiple city locations- new to Passport Echo for the Motorola DCT platform
* PassTime Puzzles- is a new game collection for the Motorola DCT platform featuring three games; Reversi- a time tested board game classic, PaintBall- a fun solitaire strategy game, and Sudoku- a cross-number puzzle game that is quickly becoming a national pastime

post #2984 of 18915 Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Hello all, I just picked up an 8300HD today and have it connected to my Vizio L37HDTV (37" LCD HDTV).

I'm trying to determine a few things, but reading other threads I mostly come up with specifcs to SARA software not Passport

1) Audio Output - I saw a few comments that the digital coaxial audio output isn't controlled by the box, so when programming changes volume jumps all over the place. Is this true on the Passport software?

2) Output formats - Connected via Component. My TV has a normal mode, wide mode, and a zoom mode. With all 4 video modes enabled in the 8300HD, and going to an HD channel, if I set the Vizio to normal, it doesn't go full screen widescreen. I'm confused if this is a design of the video modes on the Vizio or the way the 8300HD interpret signals. Should I only enable certain modes? I don't like watching 4:3 with sidebars. I prefer it to be stretched or zoomed, and hate having to keeping pressing # all the time.

Also related to this, I don't see any settings for Foxed vs. Pass-Through. Are our boxes locked on one or the other? If not, how do you change it and what's the preferred setups between this, output formats, and my TV settings to get the best quality picture on all channels, HD and SD, without sidebars.

3) External drive - is there any support for an eSATA drive on the BHN boxes?
post #2985 of 18915 Old 06-02-2006, 08:24 PM

I have 2 8300HD units, one in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. The livingroom unit is freezing the video on TNTHD and ESPNHD (where the NBA playoffs are being boadcast). The bedroom unit is working perfectly. I have noticed that the bedroom unit is almost cold to the touch but the livingroom unit is very hot, enough to cause the video processor racked just above it to feel warm. I plan to replace the livingroom unit but wanted to post my observations to see if anyone has had similar problems. Luckily, I have a DirecTv 10-250 so I can still see the playoffs in the livingroom. However, when we run Brighthouse in the bedroom and D* in the living room, the game is substantially delayed in the livingroom, perhap as much as ten minutes which is a lot when you are watching a "live" sporting event.
post #2986 of 18915 Old 06-03-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

When two people report glitching on the same two channels I would not assume the 8300 is the problem. When I get more time to investigate I will see if TNT and ESPN share a frequency unless someone here has mapped the channels to their carrier frequencies. The delay of 10 minutes is unheard of but 10 seconds is normal due to the "always recording" buffer in the 8300. It is possible your 8300 needs more air circulation.

HDCLown- I would like to help but I don't really understand your questions. Foxed vs. Pass-Through?

post #2987 of 18915 Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:

HDCLown- I would like to help but I don't really understand your questions. Foxed vs. Pass-Through?

Barry, from the 8300HD FAQ w/SARA software, I pulled this:

Display Format Summary. Press the Settings button twice to get to the General Settings. Then scroll up to Set: Picture Format.
Fixed - Displays all content at whatever resolution you selected, based on what you selected in the wizard. You force the output to a single output and the box scales to that input. Easily changed in the settings menu of the box.

Pass Through - Passes the input signal through to the output with no change, unless you disable certain resolutions. For example 480i in to 480i out, 480P in to 480P out, 1080i in to 1080i out, 720P in to 720P out. If you disable 720P, 720P in will go to 1080i out.

Auto HDMI/DVI - If you are using the HDMI port, you will see this option instead of the Pass Through option. Resolution is automatically formatted to the scan rate supported by the TV.

UpConvert 1 - All 480i and 480P signals get upconverted to 480P. All 720P and 1080i signals get upconverted to 1080i.

UpConvert 2 - All 480i and 480P signals get upconverted to 480P. All 720P and 1080i signals get converted to 720P

That's where the pass-through and fixed modes came from. It just looks like the Passport software removes these features. I'm trying to determine what display modes I should enable on the 8300HD relative to my 37" LCD TV. There is a lot of talk about the way the cable box upconverts and your TV converts and which mix of modes is ideal. None of it makes much sense!
post #2988 of 18915 Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

SARA is very different from Passport Echo. Here is the link with more info for the software offered by BHN.

http://www.pioneerdigital.com/passpo...ssportecho.asp

post #2989 of 18915 Old 06-03-2006, 11:31 AM

Does anyone know if BHN will be adding any HD channels anytime soon?

A co-worker mentioned that E* is adding more HD on the 61.5 bird. Like HGTV and some others.

Where Liberty dwells, there is my country. -- Benjamin Franklin
post #2990 of 18915 Old 06-04-2006, 01:21 PM
tk7

I have a BHN 8300HD DVR using HDMI to SONY XBR1 LCD.
A King Kong widescreen selection from movies on demand did not display as expected. Acted like the regular selection even though the menu showed it was indeed the widescreen version that was purchased.
Are there subscribers that have had problems with BHN wide screen on demand selections?
post #2991 of 18915 Old 06-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have seen it also. It is not really a problem, it is just a mislabeling of what we get.

It is widescreen within the confines of the 4x3 screen. Instead of the pan and scan, we get "widescreen". Makes it less watchable than the pan and scan.

raymac
post #2992 of 18915 Old 06-06-2006, 10:27 AM

I was wondering if any of you who are having "stuttering" problems have a signal booster?

I used to have this problem a lot, usually only in 1 room (which happens to be the longest cable run). I'd lose the pic for a seond, sometime box would reboot, sometimes just not get certain channels at all (SD DVR box).

I swapped out the STB, no help.

BHN came out one day to look. They saw the problem.. went outside to look at the connection, just by disconnecting the input feed to the house and reconnecting, everything looked great. The tech told me some story about my RG-6 being crap and noise "building up" in the line and disconnecting it discharged it all. I don't believe that explanation, but it worked.

Anyway, I had him put an amplifier in to replace my splitter, and have not had barely a stutter in 6 months.
post #2993 of 18915 Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Speaking of studdering, I've seen 2 problems

1) Sound studdering - I get a second of "Max Headroom" effect. I am connected via S/PDIF (digital coax) for sound.
2) HD broadcast video stops, but sound still works - Had this on a few HD channels. Audio was fine, but the video was either not there, or frozen on one frame. I had to unplug the box to fix it I am connected via component for video

Are these still common problems?

If I changed from S/PDIF for sound to optical, would the sound studder stop, be worse, or be the same.

What if I changed from component video to HDMI?
post #2994 of 18915 Old 06-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Anyone giving odds on whether BHN/TWC will reach an agreement with ESPN2-HD in time for the World Cup tournament?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #2995 of 18915 Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

ARGH THE STUTTERS ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! just when you thought it was safe to go back into the digital world. ITs absolutely MIND Boggling why this happens. NBC, FOX just ABOUT ANY channel. Time to call BHN again...........GRRRRR
post #2996 of 18915 Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

Speaking of studdering, I've seen 2 problems

1) Sound studdering - I get a second of "Max Headroom" effect. I am connected via S/PDIF (digital coax) for sound.
2) HD broadcast video stops, but sound still works - Had this on a few HD channels. Audio was fine, but the video was either not there, or frozen on one frame. I had to unplug the box to fix it I am connected via component for video

Are these still common problems?

If I changed from S/PDIF for sound to optical, would the sound studder stop, be worse, or be the same.

What if I changed from component video to HDMI?

For me, yes they are common problems! The Max Headroom effect I have gotten to the point I have to live with it. Annoying, but I still get to watch / hear most of the show.

The part I'm haveing real problems with is #2. I'm missing parts of the shows I'm watching! Sometimes it drops the sound to, other times not.

BHN came out and replace the old cables with new ones and put in a distrabution amp. It helped for a while, but all of the above is back again.

I've reached the conclusion that the 8300HD box is very marginal for processing the signals and it will probably never be able to fix the problems. I don't know what I should expect for over $100/month, but I don't seem to be getting it. I just don't know where else to go.....
post #2997 of 18915 Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The stuttering/audio are ok enough where it's at least watchable and infrequent on my box. Occasionally, there will be something that is unwatchable. For some reason, "Bones" used to always be unwatchable for a few weeks. Just that show. Made no sense. I have 2 8300HD boxes and it stutterred non-stop on both, so I never believe it's the box.

Lots of bugs with mine. I can't trust it as far as recordings go. If I don't visually check to make sure it's recording, I can't assume it's going to.

There have been a couple of times where it'll drop a piece out of the middle of a show on one recording. That was nice. But, it has only happened twice.
post #2998 of 18915 Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I for one am growing tired of my wife saying "how much do we pay for this each month" And while its not thier fault when the rains came through CFL on Monday it knocked out tv and internet from 10pm and there went the Apprentice which made her even more mad. Honestly I am getting close to my last string with BHN. FIOS OH FIOS WHERE ARE YOU
post #2999 of 18915 Old 06-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:

It has only been one month since my post about going to version 2.5.

Any new news on going to 2.5? Hopefully it will fix the audio and video stutters. It's been about 3 months since you originally posted about going to 2.5
post #3000 of 18915 Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM

Here's what I have learned about the 8300HD:

1) It doesn't like to be HOT or even Mildly warm - Can cause stutters, lockups, and reboots.
2) It is VERY picky about signal; Quality, Strength, and Bandwidth - Can cause stutter, lockup, reboot and even loss of certain channels

As for the disconnect/reconnect cable and things improved. It's probably not CRAP RG-6 it's likely CRAP connectors and a CRAP splitter. Connection is oxidizing causing poor grounding of the cable and thus poor noise rejection. disconnecting and reconnecting improves the connections.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page