9Likes

post #361 of 18907 Old 07-07-2004, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jay,

I guess I just notice more when senior members on the forum decide to post so when you jump in then leave for 4 months then come back with the same pattern it looked personal. I will let this drop as well and take a break away from the forums. Goodbye.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 18907 Old 07-07-2004, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Barry,

Don't leave, you are a valued member of this community. I have gotten more important and to the point info from you than from anyone with the possible exception of Mr. Mclaughlin.

raymac
post #363 of 18907 Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM

This isn't specifically related to HD, but has anyone else noticed the time on their Brighthouse cable box being incorrect? It used to be within a second or so of reference time, but now it's approximately 40 seconds fast. This creates a problem on the SA8000 when recording as I miss the last 40 seconds of a show. Usually no big deal, but when a show runs right up against the top or bottom of the hour, you're kind of left hanging.

Mark
post #364 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteelefl
This isn't specifically related to HD, but has anyone else noticed the time on their Brighthouse cable box being incorrect? It used to be within a second or so of reference time, but now it's approximately 40 seconds fast. This creates a problem on the SA8000 when recording as I miss the last 40 seconds of a show. Usually no big deal, but when a show runs right up against the top or bottom of the hour, you're kind of left hanging.

Mark

If you go into your 'Series Manager' options, you can set each show to record one minute earlier and one minute longer if you need to compensate for this time descrepency.

BTW, have you rebooted your box recently? Hold down your power button for approx. 10 seconds, and wait for thre reboot. See if the re-acquires the correct time from Brighthouse's servers.

Just a thought.

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #365 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 AM

Quote:
BTW, have you rebooted your box recently?
Fred Forlano

You mean others can go extended periods without the box rebooting? I have the SA3250HD and the non-HD DVR. Both reboot quite often.

One consistent way is when I am surfing channels quickly in the HD area, and change the direction of surfing, I will get a reboot. If both boxes are on, both will reboot at exactly the same instant.
post #366 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 AM

I've been reading through this thread and have seen a couple of dates offered for the BHN HD PVR's. I believe the latest date from Greg is September. Does that still stand? Also, is there now an official waiting list that I can sign up for? I know some people were PM'ing Greg, but I am just wondering if I call BHN will the CSR take my name down?

Thanks,

-Tony
post #367 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aforlano
If you go into your 'Series Manager' options, you can set each show to record one minute earlier and one minute longer if you need to compensate for this time descrepency.

BTW, have you rebooted your box recently? Hold down your power button for approx. 10 seconds, and wait for thre reboot. See if the re-acquires the correct time from Brighthouse's servers.

Just a thought.

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition

Thanks Fred,
I know you can modify this setting, but the point is you shouldn't have to - since the time use to be dead on. I have rebooted the box a few times, but I still see the problem. The easiest way to see this problem is to pull up the on-screen guide. The time is dispalyed on the right - HH:MM:SS. Compare this to a known accurate source like this one .
I put a call into Brighthouse and they are looking into the problem.

Mark
post #368 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Does anyone know if any of the HDTV PCI cards are able to record BHN? Such as this one http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=401229
post #369 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raymac
Barry,

Don't leave, you are a valued member of this community. I have gotten more important and to the point info from you than from anyone with the possible exception of Mr. Mclaughlin.

I cede the "possible exception". I've learned more from Barry than anyone possibly could have learned from me. I vote for Barry hanging around and posting some more.

Did this really start over him saying HDCP instead of 5C? That's it?

Greg
post #370 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys - can't we all just get a long(neck)? Barry - we need ya'.
post #371 of 18907 Old 07-08-2004, 11:03 PM

Any chance we will have HD PVR in time for the olympics on NBC? Thanks
Kishi
post #372 of 18907 Old 07-09-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kishi23
Kishi

Found this in another thread. Guy is on the Tampa system. Hopefully they come soon

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=420974
post #373 of 18907 Old 07-11-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

All,

Thanks for the words of support. I took some time to sit back and reevaluate my role on AVS and realized the years I have spent here have been filled with joy as I learned a great deal about my favorite hobby and at the same time passed on knowledge to the new people just getting started in HD. Now, 3 years later I still enjoy helping others but the thought of spending a great deal of additional time to research the facts of every post for complete verified accuracy has left me feeling reluctant to participate.

I will instead concentrate on improving the OD website in an effort to help a larger number of people.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #374 of 18907 Old 07-12-2004, 10:43 AM

My view of the any forum is that the collective knowledge of the team, is greater than the knowledge of any one individual.

I have never thought I was required to be technically perfect every time. I try to make accurate posts, but (even with a Ph.D. under my belt,) I am only human. That's where the collective knowledge comes in. If there's something wrong, others quickly put it right and I can edit my post. That way when the threads are read in the archive, the answers are the best collective knowledge of the team.

With the engineering reports we write at work, one person makes his or her best effort, then the reviewers go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure the details are right in the final product. That's the way I thought forums were supposed to work too. Am I wrong?
post #375 of 18907 Old 07-12-2004, 02:07 PM

For those out there who are currently running the PACE, what kind of issues have you seen with the box lately? I finally got mine about 3 weeks ago.

I've got it connected via DVI and S-Video to my Hitachi 51SWX-20B and the image looks much brighter and clearer than the old 3100HD box when viewing HD channels through the DVI cable. I am very pleased with the down-conversion to S-Video and even Composite looks decent.

During the lightning storms recently, I have noticed that the box behaves strangely. The box is plugged into a surge suppressor, and if there is a surge or slight drop in power (without the power going completely off) the box will continue to "appear" to function (changing channels, EPG) normally, but no digital channels are displayed (SD or HD). Analog channels continue to function. This occurs on both DVI and S-Video outputs. I must do a manual reboot of the box. This has happend at least twice in the last week.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?
post #376 of 18907 Old 07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah it is called NBC - 24hr delay.............

Been away for awhile and was hoping to find out that ESPN was added to BHN - anything new Greg? I know this isn't your decision so just checking again as usual
post #377 of 18907 Old 07-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Been away for awhile and was hoping to find out that ESPN was added to BHN - anything new Greg? I know this isn't your decision so just checking again as usual [/b]

I'm very interested in this as well. I got Voom along with Bighthouse and after having Voom for a month I've come to realize the only channel i watch on Voom is ESPNHD. I know that brighthouse is trying to give us all the channels we would normally get on SD (Discovery, TNT) for free and not include them in the HD tier. However if I'm willing to pay $50 a month for basically one channel I would definitely be willing to pay the $10 for the HD tier if ESPNHD was added to it. I'm not sure if that is a hang up in the negotiations but I'd thought i'd let you know what one brighthouse subscriber is willing to pay for this channel.
post #378 of 18907 Old 07-13-2004, 09:21 AM

I find that the Pace STB will occasionally lose the program guide. Rebooting sometimes helps. It does seem to return in a day or so.
post #379 of 18907 Old 07-16-2004, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by msteelefl

Mark

For those still riveted to the screen awaiting more word on this gripping issue, it's finally fixed. We did a processor upgrade and somebody set something up wrong.

Greg
post #380 of 18907 Old 07-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Thank you to BHN and TNT HD for the wonderful Thursday and Friday coverage in HD.

A royal negative for ABC, now broadcasting in SD for today and tomorrow.
post #381 of 18907 Old 07-17-2004, 05:49 PM

I finally got my SA3250HD on Tuesday and I'm quite happy now... except today it stopped displaying Discovery HD and WMFE-HD in high definition. For some reason it displays these two channels in 480p. It was working fine yesterday. All of the other HD channels (Showtime HD, HBO HD, INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT HD, etc.) all display correctly in 1080i. It's just Discovery HD and WMFE-HD that get scaled down to 480p. I called support and they have no idea what the problem is. They had me reboot the box which didn't fix anything and said that they would need to schedule a repair visit. Unfortunately, I head out of town tomorrow and won't be back for two weeks and the girlfriend wouldn't have any idea how to explain the problem to the techs.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is?
post #382 of 18907 Old 07-17-2004, 05:57 PM

More information... I have a Sony 61" 4:3 set. What sucks about this TV is that it automatically forces any 1080i signal into a 16:9 letterboxed display. The nice thing about the SA3250HD is that it let's me specify my TV's capabilities and then displays the image in the best way it can. I have told the SA3250HD that I have a 4:3 screen that is capable of displaying 480p and 1080i. It is smart enough to display all SD content as 480p and all HD content as 1080i... except for the two channels I just mentioned.

After I made the previous post I decided to remove the 480p option and told the SA3250HD that my TV was only capable of displaying 1080i. Now both Discovery HD and WMFE-HD display correctly but all of the SD channels get upconverted to 1080i as well which is not what I want since, as I said, my TV forces 1080i into a letterboxed 16:9 portion of the screen which causes 4:3 content in 1080i to show up as a smaller square in the middle of the screen instead of filling the entire TV.

So right now I'm stuck. For some reason the SA3250HD thinks that those two channels need to be downscaled to 480p in order to be viewed on my TV even though the other 1080i channels display correctly.

Suggestions (that don't include buying a new TV, please)?
post #383 of 18907 Old 07-17-2004, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you to BHN and TNT HD for the wonderful Thursday and Friday coverage in HD.

Putting something on TNT HD doesn't make it HD. In fact most of what is shown on that channel is not HD. I am not as anti that channel as many others, but BHN has often stated that they have to be careful of bandwidth and so far TNT is one hugh waste of bandwidth.

Point is - no coverage from British Open is or has been in HD - it was just stretched...........
post #384 of 18907 Old 07-18-2004, 04:03 PM

I don't think the picture was stretched in the TNT broadcast of the British Open on thur/fri -- at least not the way a lot of TNT-HD content is zoomed/stretched. the telecast was definetly not HD. I would guess it was 480p similar to what the HD fox channel has been showing for a while now. of course, I never saw any promotional stuff from TNT-HD stating the broadcast was hi-def -- so at least they weren't marketing it as such.
post #385 of 18907 Old 07-18-2004, 04:27 PM

Maybe so, but it sure looked a lot better than ABC. It was marketed as HD on HDTV Galaxy and the TNT website. These indicated 1080i. Maybe it was upconverted, stretched, whatever. It still looked a lot better.
post #386 of 18907 Old 07-18-2004, 04:38 PM

Sorry if I sound impatient, but has anyone successfully used one of the QAM PCI cards to record HD from BHN? I wanted to find out before buying a card and the phone reps don't even know what QAM is.
post #387 of 18907 Old 07-18-2004, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by theBlaze74
Sorry if I sound impatient, but has anyone successfully used one of the QAM PCI cards to record HD from BHN? I wanted to find out before buying a card and the phone reps don't even know what QAM is.

My understanding is that the PC cards will only record QAM that is not encrypted. Here's what Greg of BHN said in previous post regarding someone wanting to use their TV's builtin HDTV tuner with QAM capability:
Quote:

2) QAM decoder in the set -- This will function only for unencrypted channels, and our digital channels are all encrypted. Hooking cable into the back of the set will only give you access to the analog channels (~2-98). People in other cable operations have had some luck with doing so based on the encryption capability and policy of the local operator.

This would imply that the PC HDTV cards will not work for recording HDTV on BHN.

Jay
post #388 of 18907 Old 07-18-2004, 07:23 PM

That is how I would interpret it, all of Bright House's digital channels are encrypted, so unless the QAM decoder has a CableCard slot, and you get a card from BH (I don't think its even available yet), it will not work.

This provokes a question. I wonder if BH's policy will be to continue to encrypt the same channels that are unencrypted in analog. There is a lot of hardware coming out with clear QAM and CableCard capabilities, and many if not all of those customers are not going to be happy with the results, especially when they call customer service and the reps have no clue what the customer is asking about.

BTW, just to put things in perspective, it has been less than a year since the FCC, CE manufacturers and the cable industry agreed on a clear QAM standard. This is just the beginning.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #389 of 18907 Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 AM

Thinking about ordering the HD service through Bright House. Is there any tricks or magic words I need to use in order to get the SA3250 box? Want to use it to time-shift while we are waiting for the HD-DVR's. Thanks

Note: Went to BH office here in Orlando and they only had the 3100 available for me to take home. Can the 3250's be picked up in the offices?
post #390 of 18907 Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM

You have to say you need the firewire output. Have the operator annotate the work order that you need the 3250HD. Do not schedule a weekend install. Weekends are covered mostly by subcontractors who do not seem to be as well trained as BH installers.( sorry Greg but that is my experience). The installer I had was the area supervisor who did a great job, but he said they only had a few in the warehouse and most people had returned them.

Note if you do not have a DVHS recorder with 5C this is a waste of time according to Barry almost all the channels are encrypted. Even with a DVHS / 5C I can not record HBO, Discovery, PBS, or UPN.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page