AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Another question from an HDTV newb:

I hate stretching or zooming 4:3 images, so I have my 8300HD and TV set up to display bars on the sides. Sometimes the bars are black and sometimes they're gray. Why is that? Where are the bars being inserted: on the 8300HD or the TV? I want to change the bars to always be black.

Also, I occasionally see a 16:9 picture with black bars on all four sides! What the heck is up with that? Is this a 16:9 picture formated for 4:3 TVs (therefore with bars on the top and bottom) and then reformatted for 16:9 (and therefore bars on the left and right)?

Weird.

The gray bars are inserted by the 8300 on SD channels and are not adjustable with Aptiv software. The HD channels switch between gray and black bars based on the broadcasters preference. When you see black bars all the way around a picture you are correct that you are viewing a 16:9 image inside of 4:3 image inside of a 16:9 image. The commercial producer creates a letterboxed advertisement and distributes it as a 4:3 SD master. The commercial gets run on a 16:9 upconverted HD feed and that's all it takes to see black bars all the way around.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnieves View Post

I've searched through the web and found that HDCP on the set seems to be a "hit-or-miss" affair. Funny thing is, I can replicate this "hit-or-miss" behavior at home! If before connecting both the receiver and TV using HDMI, I tune to a select group of HD channels (so far I've tested INHD, INHD2, HDNET, HDNET2, HBOHD), then I connect both using HDMI, life is good! The TV and the box get along well. However, once I stray from these select channels, the 8300 begins to complain again about the TV not being HDCP compliant. Turning everything off and making sure they're connected with HDMI before turning them back on does not solve the problem. The 8300 basically goes into a "lockdown mode" and doesn't come off it until I disconnect the HDMI from the box or I turn off the TV.
Rolando.

Welcome to the BHN local forum.

It sounds as if you have one of the boderline handshake displays. The soon to be released software upgrade for the 8300 should help you. All the channels you list are 1080i so I am guessing your handshake is happy if you start in 1080i and stay in 1080i so until the software is upgraded try turning off the non 1080i resolutions to see if the box remains connected.

post #3873 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, Barry. You are a wealth of information.
post #3874 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Tony. If I remember correctly, you have a 60" XBR2? And you see no difference in component and HDMI? I really expected that there would be a bigger difference. I've only seen the problem once, but if it happens enough I'll try switching also.

Happy...........I got the 70XBR2. Was debating between the 60 & 70 but as they say no one ever goes smaller I watch it from 9 to 14' and my eyes have adjusted. Right now all I did was unplug the HDMI from the back of the cable box and I'm using video 6 with component. I can't see a difference and another PLUS is if the wife wants to watch tv all I have to do is turn the Sony speakers back on and shut the AV off. DD in the setup area of the STB works for BOTH AV and TV. With HDMI I had to go into the box and change DD to HDMI if I wanted sound from the speakers. Also the damn box would get buggy and wouldn't work if I shut the TV off! Now I can listen to the music channels with the TV OFF and be happy. Another thing I noticed is that the Denon AV sounds punchier with the HDMI cable unplugged from the STB. Or maybe I'm just dizzy from all of this.
post #3875 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 12:56 PM

PS Happy.......ABC gives me black bars on 4.3 but other channels use the gray ones. I stretch to taste as I can't take those gray bars.
post #3876 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post

Happy...........I got the 70XBR2. Was debating between the 60 & 70 but as they say no one ever goes smaller I watch it from 9 to 14' and my eyes have adjusted. Right now all I did was unplug the HDMI from the back of the cable box and I'm using video 6 with component. I can't see a difference and another PLUS is if the wife wants to watch tv all I have to do is turn the Sony speakers back on and shut the AV off. DD in the setup area of the STB works for BOTH AV and TV. With HDMI I had to go into the box and change DD to HDMI if I wanted sound from the speakers. Also the damn box would get buggy and wouldn't work if I shut the TV off! Now I can listen to the music channels with the TV OFF and be happy. Another thing I noticed is that the Denon AV sounds punchier with the HDMI cable unplugged from the STB. Or maybe I'm just dizzy from all of this.

I also got the 70XBR2 - yesterday at 10:30am. I've been tweaking it ever since. I'm thrilled with it. It's my first HDTV, so maybe I'm easy to please. Unfortunately the Bucs suck just as much on a big screen.

I've got the 8300 DD set to HDMI and I get sound through the TV. Are you saying that I won't get sound through my receiver, even if I have a optical link from the 8300 to the receiver? I admit I had forgot to try that. Guess I'll do that now.
post #3877 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got the 8300 DD set to HDMI and I get sound through the TV. Are you saying that I won't get sound through my receiver, even if I have a optical link from the 8300 to the receiver? I admit I had forgot to try that. Guess I'll do that now.

Well crap. I tested everything but that. And of course it doesn't work. I know there has been a lot of talk about this on the forum, but I admit I didn't quite follow it since I didn't have an HDTV yet. I guess I'll go back and read about it.

This is very frustrating.
post #3878 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just do away with HDMI and all will work the way you want it to with no hassles. I wanted all digital; head end to PJ, but the current cable co technology can not deliver it in a reliable manner. I am now digital from the scalar to the PJ with 1:1 pixel mapping. My scaler does an excellent job of converting component to digital and does it just one time as it scales.
post #3879 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I also got the 70XBR2 - yesterday at 10:30am. I've been tweaking it ever since. I'm thrilled with it. It's my first HDTV, so maybe I'm easy to please. Unfortunately the Bucs suck just as much on a big screen.

You won't get Dolby DIGITAL with the HDMI setting. You need to switch it to DD in the box. Which kills the sound to the TV speakers. Or use component. I also run a digital cable from the STB to the receiver which works fine.
post #3880 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it has been another couple of pages so we need to explain the digital audio glitch again. When a hdmi connection is detected the digital audio output menu in advanced settings has three choices. HDMI - Dolby Digital - Two Channel. When hdmi is selected the digital audio mode is controlled by the hdmi connection. The hdmi port asks the display on the other end if it supports 2.0 or 5.1 and limits all digital audio including coax and optical to that standard. This means if your display tells the 8300 it does not support 5.1 then all digital audio is limited to 2.0 if you have hdmi selected.

The second issue we face is the glitch in the Aptiv software that switches the audio to 2.0 and leaves it there until you manually switch it back. This one is not obvious because the indicator in the 8300 settings menu says it is on DD but in reality it is 2.0. You must select one of the non DD choices and then re-select DD to regain 5.1 output. Causes for this problem have been reported as triggering any type of warning beep such as a recording conflict. Also the EBS system test switches all the 8300's to 2.0 on a weekly basis. I can always tell by either looking at my audio processor to see it is not in DD 5.1 mode or simply noticing the volume level difference relative to the volume numerical indication.

post #3881 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyny View Post

You won't get Dolby DIGITAL with the HDMI setting. You need to switch it to DD in the box. Which kills the sound to the TV speakers. Or use component. I also run a digital cable from the STB to the receiver which works fine.

OK, I'm getting confused.

First, when I said it didn't work for me either, I was in the weeds. I selected the wrong input on my receiver.

Once I selected the right input, everything seems to work just fine! I have HDMI selected on the 8300 and I still get (a) sound on the TV and (b) sound on my receiver - at the same time. And my receiver is telling me that the input is Digital (edit: NOT Dolby Digital, just 2-channel digital). Tony, you're saying that this shouldn't work?

FWIW, I have an optical link between the 8300 and receiver.

Any ideas?
post #3882 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 PM

My cablecard has the digital overylay back. Noticed it Saturday and it is still there today.

Probably just jinxed it.

We'll see how long it stays this time.
post #3883 of 18924 Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

I guess it has been another couple of pages so we need to explain the digital audio glitch again. When a hdmi connection is detected the digital audio output menu in advanced settings has three choices. HDMI - Dolby Digital - Two Channel. When hdmi is selected the digital audio mode is controlled by the hdmi connection. The hdmi port asks the display on the other end if it supports 2.0 or 5.1 and limits all digital audio including coax and optical to that standard. This means if your display tells the 8300 it does not support 5.1 then all digital audio is limited to 2.0 if you have hdmi selected.

Ah-ha! I get it now.

I checked my receiver and it shows digital, but it's normal 2.0 Dolby Pro Logic. I didn't notice that at first. Then I switched the 8300 from HDMI to DD and now the receiver shows Dolby Digital. So I guess my Sony TV is accepting only 2-channel audio over the HDMI.

Thanks Barry and Tony. Sorry to be slow. :-)
post #3884 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Brighthouse Digital Cable in Melbourne, FL:
SA8300HD DVR in Family Room - using HDMI
SA8300HD DVR in Bedroom - using Component

While in the family room on Saturday I was punching thru the 100-series channels, when I got to CH #117 (Howard Stern On Demand) the cable box locked up and went into re-boot. I've learned that lock-ups happen often and without warning with these boxes, so I didn't think much about this incident.
However, on Sunday afternoon, while in the bedroom, I again cycled thru the 100-series channels, and when I got to CH #117 the bedroom cable box locked up as well. This time I don't think it's a coindidence that both SA cable boxes have locked-up on the same digital channel.

Anyone else having this problem with CH #117?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #3885 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Brighthouse Digital Cable in Melbourne, FL:
SA8300HD DVR in Family Room - using HDMI
SA8300HD DVR in Bedroom - using Component

While in the family room on Saturday I was punching thru the 100-series channels, when I got to CH #117 (Howard Stern On Demand) the cable box locked up and went into re-boot. I've learned that lock-ups happen often and without warning with these boxes, so I didn't think much about this incident.
However, on Sunday afternoon, while in the bedroom, I again cycled thru the 100-series channels, and when I got to CH #117 the bedroom cable box locked up as well. This time I don't think it's a coindidence that both SA cable boxes have locked-up on the same digital channel.

Anyone else having this problem with CH #117?

I get a lot of reboots with all the "On Demand" channels. I have two DVR boxes... on is HD one is SD... and both reboot a lot on these channels

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #3886 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

1150 is a favorite channel for my box to lock up and reboot.
post #3887 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I guess I should feel good that I'm not alone in the mysterious world of cable box lock-ups.
Thanks guys.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #3888 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 11:35 PM

YEA-HA!!!!
My box is updating!... (2:31am)

I live in Deland.* Hopefully everyone else is updating as well.

Maybe this will clear our issues.

Will post if anything is different.

Tim
post #3889 of 18924 Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Took a little while but all my channels finally appeared after 15 minutes or so.
Everything looks the same except the boot-screen and ...* I THINK some recording options.* Has 'Series Repeat Options' been in the 'Series Manager'.??
oh well.* Just don't remember it if it has.

Everything seems fine except for some reason I keep getting kicked out of menus.* If I'm searching through the guide or menus, etc.* I keep getting randomly kicked out and sent back to the television program. **Maybe something BHN is doing....**

Anyways,* the DIAG screen shows several new screens - Including Multi-Room DVR.* of course this means nothing for us now,* but might be down the road. :-)

Tim
post #3890 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 AM

Doh, no update for me yet, I'm in Orlando. Hopefully it will be later this week.
post #3891 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 AM

Got up this a.m., box was powered down, and wouldn't power up from the remote. Had to reboot it. When I did, I noticed the boot screen looked different. After it was back up, I went to the diag screen and found I have the new software. I checked the SATA port screen and found it enabled! I'll be looking at getting some add-on storage now. But the most interesting part is it now says I have Multi-room DVR enabled. Anyone got any info on how to implement it?

BTW, I'm in Melbourne...
post #3892 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No update here yet, but I did notice entering the Diagnostic screen triggered the Digital Audio glitch. At least it's noticeable here since it's a bit louder that the correct Dolby Digital selection, so I can usually tell when it's screwed up since I can raise the volume on my receiver as loud as it usually goes.
post #3893 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Got mine this morning.

I noticed that the picture on 480i has shifted slightly to the left so its no longer centered.
And of course when the box rebooted, it stuck on 1080i so had to reset that. I also assumed that the audio output needed to be reset to Dolby (since with a new box, it may say its on the Dolby setting but really isn't until you change it).

My understanding of the SATA port is that is box specific, so if you swap out the box, the new box won't read the drive anymore.
post #3894 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 09:11 AM

I have an 8300 (my 8300HD is sitting idle, TV broken! ) For the past couple of weeks it has been recording the first 1 minute of shows I tell it to record, and that is it. Very annoying to have to check up on your season manager every night to make sure its recording. Anyone seen this type of behavior before?
post #3895 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Stiletto,

Yes, we've been having that happen (1 minute recording) with Grey's Anatomy periodically. Out of the last 5 weeks, 3 of them were 1 minute only.

-- Martin
post #3896 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes I have and I do not understand it either. I have seen it happen 3 or 4 times. I have a TV connected and I am using the component outputs having given up on HDMI. If you are using (that is have connected) an HDMI cable try removing it.
post #3897 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 10:38 AM

Software update this morning????

At 2:30am, my SA8300HD turned off, and the front panel display started counting backwards in hexadecimal from something like 6FF downto 000. Then the box rebooted. The reboot screen was different, sat "Aptiv" on the bottom, and the status-bar circles were now pill shaped.

After reboot I could only get the few channels still analog, namely 5,9,15, and 62.

So I shut it off for 15 min, and turned it back on and got all the channels again.

I noticed no real difference in picture quality, channel lineup, or the menus. The only difference I have seen so far is when in the guide, if you hold the right arrow down, it no longer speed scrolls through the times, but slowly stutter-scrolls.

At 3:00am, they sent another reboot to the box.
post #3898 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM

I do not have an HDMI cable, this is standard RF connection via RG6 to the box then to the TV antenna input. Hopefully I will be able to get my HDTV working tonight, and can verify if the other box has been having the same troubles.
post #3899 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM

Regarding the HDMI/HDCP problem with the Olevia display, Barry, you hit it right on the nose! Once I got the box and display on a 1080i HD channel and connected them via HDMI, I went int the settings and turned off all the other resolutions (720p, 480p). Everything has been working great since!

Again many thanks for your help!

Rolando.
post #3900 of 18924 Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 PM

The download probably explains why our bedroom DVR and monitor, which are plugged into the DVR AC outlet, turned themselves on and woke us up in the middle of the night twice. The monitor stayed on and I had to re-enter the option to have the DVR turn off the AC outlet. Apparently parental control was also disabled, as I got an automatic voice call saying so. They must assume that the parent and not the child will listen to that call.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page