Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #391 of 18941 Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a new Brighthouse HD subscriber, would anyone know why I'm not receiving Brighthouse HD channels in 1080i? My TV (a Mitsubishi 46" HDTV compatible) displays these in 480p, that's not correct, is it? The screen is displaying letterboxes and/or sidebars, depending on the channel. My TV's owners manual says that when it receives a 1080i signal it automatically displays full screen without the letterboxes or sidebars.

I checked the Central Florida Digital Cable website, they indicated that most of the local channels are braodcasting in 1080i, with the exception of Fox.

I also double-checked the installation, making sure the green, red and blue cables were in the right outlets, and they were. I didn't see a switch on the Pace box or anything in its settings menu that could help me.

Can anyone help me with this? My cable was installed by a BH supervisor, so I'm not too confident in having them back out here. He seemed to think everything was correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan68
I'm a new Brighthouse HD subscriber, would anyone know why I'm not receiving Brighthouse HD channels in 1080i? My TV (a Mitsubishi 46" HDTV compatible) displays these in 480p, that's not correct, is it? The screen is displaying letterboxes and/or sidebars, depending on the channel. My TV's owners manual says that when it receives a 1080i signal it automatically displays full screen without the letterboxes or sidebars.

I checked the Central Florida Digital Cable website, they indicated that most of the local channels are braodcasting in 1080i, with the exception of Fox.

I also double-checked the installation, making sure the green, red and blue cables were in the right outlets, and they were. I didn't see a switch on the Pace box or anything in its settings menu that could help me.

Can anyone help me with this? My cable was installed by a BH supervisor, so I'm not too confident in having them back out here. He seemed to think everything was correct.

Howdy!

Odds are, the tech who installed your box did not go into the menu and do a 'setup' for the box. Here's the simple way to do this yourself:

1) Turn on box and TV so you can see a HD channel
2) Hold down the '#' button on your cable box remote control for approx. 5 seconds. A menu screen will appear.
3) Use the arrow keys and the select button to highlight the resolution settings, and change them to 1080i (or 'Pass' if your TV can display both 1080i and 720p). Also check your aspect ratio settings and make sure you are set for 16:9 vs 4:3.
4) Exit the menu.

That's all there is to it. Unfortunately, some of the Brighthouse subcontractors are, um, less then up-to-par, when it comes to HDTV installation (sorry Greg).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to post.

Don't forget to join us this Saturday for the CFHDS meeting!

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #393 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 AM

Last night during "The Grid", did anyone else notice the sound was not sync'd to the video? After some commercials it seemed better than others, but never quite right. Sometimes the people were talking and I thought I was watching a dubbed movie!
post #394 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 PM

Liked: 12
[b]I'm a new Brighthouse HD subscriber, would anyone know why I'm not receiving Brighthouse HD channels in 1080i? My TV (a Mitsubishi 46" HDTV compatible) displays these in 480p, that's not correct, is it? The screen is displaying letterboxes and/or sidebars, depending on the channel. My TV's owners manual says that when it receives a 1080i signal it automatically displays full screen without the letterboxes or sidebars.QUOTE][

Maybe it was set up correctly. If so all you have to do is press the # key and it will switch from 1080i to 420p, and back aagin when pressed again.
post #395 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Last night during "The Grid", did anyone else notice the sound was not sync'd to the video?

yeh, I noticed it too. don't think it was a BHN issue though. one of the threads in the HD Programming forum regarding The Grid had many individuals stating they were noticing lip sync issues. it didn' matter which service they subscribed to -- Voom, D*, cable, OTA -- it was noticed by many throughout the country.
post #396 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aforlano
Howdy!

Odds are, the tech who installed your box did not go into the menu and do a 'setup' for the box. Here's the simple way to do this yourself:

1) Turn on box and TV so you can see a HD channel
2) Hold down the '#' button on your cable box remote control for approx. 5 seconds. A menu screen will appear.
3) Use the arrow keys and the select button to highlight the resolution settings, and change them to 1080i (or 'Pass' if your TV can display both 1080i and 720p). Also check your aspect ratio settings and make sure you are set for 16:9 vs 4:3.
4) Exit the menu.

That's all there is to it. Unfortunately, some of the Brighthouse subcontractors are, um, less then up-to-par, when it comes to HDTV installation (sorry Greg).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to post.

Don't forget to join us this Saturday for the CFHDS meeting!

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your help, you were right, both the resolution and aspect settings were not set properly. I changed them to 1080 and 16:9, and the display went fullscreen on some channels, but not on any of the broadcast network channels. I thought that the broadcast networks (with the exception of Fox) broadcast in 1080 HD during prime time? Is this not correct?
post #397 of 18941 Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your help, you were right, both the resolution and aspect settings were not set properly. I changed them to 1080 and 16:9, and the display went fullscreen on some channels, but not on any of the broadcast network channels. I thought that the broadcast networks (with the exception of Fox) broadcast in 1080 HD during prime time? Is this not correct?

Not exactly. Depending on the broadcaster, the material they air in prime time may or may not be in HD. Not to mention, that programming may be broadcast in SD and upconverted to HD. If the source material is 4:3, then it will be broadcast on the HD station in 4:3 as well. Check out www.orlandodigital.tv to get additional information on what programs are being broadcast in HD.

If you are looking for all programs to fill your screen, you will have to use the 'stretch' mode either on your TV or on the cable box. To activate the cable box stretch mode, hit the "#" key to toggle between 'Normal', 'Stretch' and 'Zoom' modes. On your TV remote, the button marked 'Format' should do the same thing, but may not stretch the signals being fed as HD from the broadcast networks. If they are 4:3 upconversions, then the network or local station are adding the bars on the sides of the image before sending them to you, in essence, fooling your set into thinking the source image is 16:9.

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to post.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #398 of 18941 Old 07-21-2004, 09:47 AM

You can't control the aspect ratio of 4:3 material inserted into a 16:9 widescreen by the network. In other words they are always transmitting a 1080i or 720p signal, however if they are not getting a HD feed from the network, they are inserting the original 4:3 image into the 16:9 field and filling the rest in with bars. The pace box and TV thinks it is full HD and there is not much you can do about it. Only thing you can do is zoom in, but that's not going to be perfect and will probably not look too good. I would suggest living with it or watching the SD version of the channel.

I don't know if that was your problem but I get that question often.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #399 of 18941 Old 07-23-2004, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Should we all give up on BHN getting ESPN HD at this point in time? A few months ago Greg had hinted at some cool HD additions and TNT arrived. But there has been nothing since.

(TNT is ok, but I watched The Fifth Element last night and it did not look like the movie was broadcast in HD. It look like it was formatted for 4:3 and stretched to 16:9 as it seemed a lot of side info I am used to watching on the DVD was missing. )

Anyway, would love any rumors of ESPN HD coming to BHN anytime soon. I know the programming is limited but Sprotscenter and the baseball games they show look good and their HD schedule sasy a number of preseason football games will be in HD. So lets go, BHN!!!
post #400 of 18941 Old 07-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Should we all give up on BHN getting ESPN HD at this point in time? A few months ago Greg had hinted at some cool HD additions and TNT arrived. But there has been nothing since.

(TNT is ok, but I watched The Fifth Element last night and it did not look like the movie was broadcast in HD. It look like it was formatted for 4:3 and stretched to 16:9 as it seemed a lot of side info I am used to watching on the DVD was missing. )

Anyway, would love any rumors of ESPN HD coming to BHN anytime soon. I know the programming is limited but Sprotscenter and the baseball games they show look good and their HD schedule sasy a number of preseason football games will be in HD. So lets go, BHN!!!
post #401 of 18941 Old 07-24-2004, 09:27 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Do any of you leave your PACE box on when you turn your TV off? The directions "strongly recommend" that you set the remote to turn the box off when it turns the TV off. But having it set up this way, sometimes the TV gets the signal and the box doesn't, throwing off the sync; and I have to go and manually turn one off.

Is it safe to leave the box on all of the time?

JD
post #402 of 18941 Old 07-24-2004, 01:33 PM

Was hoping someone could help with a quick answer. My parents just got a Samsung DLP 50" HDTV. BHN just installed the Pace box, which I am not familiar with. IT is set up to output wide screen on the TV and 16:9 on the Pace, but all SD channels have bars on them, even the channels 0-200+. The Box is using a DVI input. Is this a limitation of the DVI input? If I run Component will the SD channels stretch to fill the TV like the SA box does?

Am trying to set this up now so any thought appreciated.
post #403 of 18941 Old 07-24-2004, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gator5000e
Was hoping someone could help with a quick answer. My parents just got a Samsung DLP 50" HDTV. BHN just installed the Pace box, which I am not familiar with. IT is set up to output wide screen on the TV and 16:9 on the Pace, but all SD channels have bars on them, even the channels 0-200+. The Box is using a DVI input. Is this a limitation of the DVI input? If I run Component will the SD channels stretch to fill the TV like the SA box does?

Am trying to set this up now so any thought appreciated.

Try setting it to "PASSTRHOUGH" and "4:3" and let the TV control the picture. That's what I do. The Switcher and the stretching modules in the TV are most likely better than whats in the PACE. Also you won't have the lines that you are complaining about.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #404 of 18941 Old 07-24-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doctor52
Do any of you leave your PACE box on when you turn your TV off? The directions "strongly recommend" that you set the remote to turn the box off when it turns the TV off. But having it set up this way, sometimes the TV gets the signal and the box doesn't, throwing off the sync; and I have to go and manually turn one off.

Is it safe to leave the box on all of the time?

Leave the Pace box on. I don't think it really turns anything off internally when you do turn it off, it only turns off the video signal. Plus, I find it annoying for it to default to channel 3 when you do turn it off.

Peter Shipp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #405 of 18941 Old 07-24-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
Leave the Pace box on. I don't think it really turns anything off internally when you do turn it off, it only turns off the video signal. Plus, I find it annoying for it to default to channel 3 when you do turn it off.

Peter, you can always go into the advanced menu and set the menu to turn the box on to the last channel, or a preset channel if you prefer.

Just a suggestion.

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #406 of 18941 Old 07-25-2004, 02:44 PM

Thanks LouK. Think I got it figured out. Pace box is nice. A lot smaller than the SA 3100 and I like how it shows if an HD signal is coming in.

Anyway, appreciate the advice.

Now for ESPN-HD!!
post #407 of 18941 Old 07-26-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gator5000e

While I 100% agree with the need for ESPN... I still am happy overall with BHN. I was seriously looking into D*... and then found out... My friend has D*... and although he has ESPN-HD, he does not have ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, WB, or UPN in HD. With football season coming, I would much rather have my Sunday games, (most national games are) and Monday Night Football in HD then only ESPN's Sunday night game... if I had to choose. Sure, ESPN would be nice... but if I have to choose... I would pick all the networks in HD.

In a perfect world... BHN would have ESPN-HD and Fox Sports Net... but then, I would have no reason to post in here

-Boomer

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #408 of 18941 Old 07-26-2004, 11:57 AM
mwk

ESPN HD
ESPN HD
ESPN HD
ESPN HD
ESPN HD

Greg hurry football season is around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #409 of 18941 Old 07-26-2004, 12:22 PM

I second, third, fourth and fifth that! I'm tired of paying $40 a month to Voom for ESPNHD. Greg tell those corporate negotiators give in and give us ESPNHD.
post #410 of 18941 Old 07-26-2004, 01:14 PM

^^ What they said. And hey, throw in Fox Sports Net while your at it. Come on, wave that magic wand and make us all happy
post #411 of 18941 Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 AM

I just got an automated phonecall claiming to be from BHN. It urged me, as a High Definition subscriber, to watch the Democratic National Convention coverage on BHN. What the hell? First of all, the Caller ID information was screwed up on their call (no phone number... just the areacode showed up). Second of all, why does something like that qualify as an important subscriber announcement that had to interrupt my day?

I'd rather have them use that technology to notify subscribers of outages when they happen rather than as a tool for politicians to avoid certain aspects of campaign finance laws.
post #412 of 18941 Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got it too, I was a bit offended by it. Caller ID said Brighthouse Network, 407-838-2120, came in at 1134AM.
post #413 of 18941 Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM

I got it this morning at 10:30, just said 407 for me.
post #414 of 18941 Old 07-27-2004, 03:04 PM

All,

Sorry we offended anybody with the call. But as most of you will recall, we've always made phone calls to our HD subscribers when short notice HD programming became available. We did so again this time.

Programming like this just pops up sometime. HDNet offered us an additional channel with the coverage, so we signed up.

The good news is that it can't be consuming more that 2-3 Mbps, because we all know there's no fast-moving (or medium, or slow) action at a political convention. Of either party. :-)

I read everybody loud and clear about ESPN by football season. I'm hoping too.

Greg
post #415 of 18941 Old 07-28-2004, 05:12 AM
mwk

I'll forgive you if we get ESPN HD
post #416 of 18941 Old 07-28-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg - also wasn't you planning on letting people know about the Republican Convention being broadcasted in HD? - That way it would be even just that they are not happening at the same time.............

One more question - are you compressing Inhd at all? The soccer looked pretty bafd (Euro) and not sure if that was because of the 50 to 60mhz conversion
post #417 of 18941 Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 AM

I will speak for Barry and Greg here. Bright House compresses nothing! If it looks compressed that's how they got it.

Peter Shipp

post #418 of 18941 Old 07-28-2004, 04:25 PM

Liked: 12
Greg -ther's a whole lot more of us who appreciated the phone call. You can call me anytime to advise of additional service at no additional cost. Beside I like the Democratic Convention in HD; I can see them well enough to see when they're lying and spinning. :-) Don S.

ps - the Pace box is outstanding.
post #419 of 18941 Old 07-29-2004, 03:07 PM

Is the Convention on channel 1000 only available if you have the HD package (HD Net, etc?). It's telling me it's subscription based.

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #420 of 18941 Old 07-30-2004, 07:32 AM

One of my current fears is that for whatever reason, the coverage of the Republican convention (you know, the other one) won't be available, and we'll have carried just one side. That was almost enough to take a pass on showing either.

Greg

Greg
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page