Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #4321 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why dumping DirecTV for BHN was the best move ever (1 YEAR AGO)

DirecTV SD is unwatchable, way overcompressed.
BHN went all digital and has much better SD
BHN has much better HD.
D* HD used 1280x1080i compared to BHN 1920x1080i (only 66% of BHN HD rez)
D* HD STB DVR much much much buggier than BHN
$5 fee per set made D* more expensive
Paying several hundred dollars for D* HD box, and it was only a lease.
No more cables to fish
BHN didn't lock me into a mandatory 2 year commitment
Service calls are at no charge to me

TODAY: Why DirecTV is closing the gap on BHN

BHN was overcompressed their digital channels just as bad, maybe worse
macroblocking and pixelation and bit starving on BHN SD now!!!
No room for expansion, analog takes 2/3 bandwidth
Some of the "amazing" HD channels don't look so amazing anymore
Still no ESPN2HD or NFL Network

Next couple years, why DirecTV might RULE the world.

5 new sats up, 5 times the available bandwidth, something cable can not do
The promise of over 100 new HD channels in 2007
(Sure most HD will be locals, but 1 to 2 dozen nationals also planned).
Locked NFL Sunday Ticket for another 5 year extension
Hopefully new bandwidth will end overcompression

Hopefully BHN is starting the planning to go fiber now. Its the only way they will ever have the bandwidth to keep added new HD channels as they become available.

Or they could drop their analog service, but boy would that anger a large segment of their customer base...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Liked: 14
Wow, thanks for all the feedback.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #4323 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I know Barry will want this, but others may benefit too..

This is a discussion on AE HD from another forum.. Apparently it IS 720p, but not the best 720p..

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47501

Oh, and I'm watching the Wizard of Oz right now on TNT HD.. I don't get this picture format. It's HD, I can tell, and see, but not 16:9?? Wasn't the film back in those days wide too? (obviously they did this from the original film, because it's VERY good looking to me..)
post #4324 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. It was nice to read that A&E is working on all the problems.

Wizard of Oz is 1939 before anamorphic widescreen.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #4325 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, thanks for letting me know (i wasn't sure if i was getting the whole picture or not)
post #4326 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

TWC makes deal for MHD.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/timemhd121106.htm

post #4327 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 251
It's nice to see another HD channel but, damnit, I want ESPN2 HD. I'd even pay an additional 2 dollars a month to get ESPN2 HD.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #4328 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

It's nice to see another HD channel but, damnit, I want ESPN2 HD. I'd even pay an additional 2 dollars a month to get ESPN2 HD.

I understand this completely. The situation with ESPN2 and NFL Network is one where TWC/BHN is being told they have to charge all customers for these 2 sports channels. TWC/BHN agrees to the pricing demands but wants to place all the premium HD sports channels on a tier for the sports fan but NFL is telling them no deal. They insist all cable customers must pay for the new channels not just the sports fans. This is the main sticking point.

post #4329 of 18993 Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM

I just called & bitched out BHN once again tonight. Watched the Magic game on SunSports, and the entire second half was riddled with sound dropouts, picture freezes, etc., which just totally enhanced the fuzzy, overcompressed picture we always get on that channel.

I come over here, and in browsing the posts I missed since my last visit, I see numerous comments on overcompressed signals, pixellation, dropouts, bit starvation, etc. So I have to ask once again:

If BHN wasn't also running their phone and internet service over the same cable as my TV, would the service be any better??? In other words, in their quest to be all things to all people, have they sacrificed bandwidth that could possibly provide me with better cable TV service?

If so, then I have half a mind to start petitioning my local government to do something about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the cable operators pay a franchise fee to the county to operate here. Which basically means that the public owns the infrastructure. Or, at least we own the right to grant the operators the privilege to do business here - and that business was initially to provide TV service. Now they have stretched the infrastructure so far by adding on these services that have nothing to do with what they were originally granted the franchise for, the service that got their foot in the door - cable TV - is suffering.

So it's time for you to refocus, BHN. I don't want your internet service. I have DSL, it works fine, and is a lot more secure than what you have - which is important because I work from home. I don't want your telephone service. I have Bellsouth phone service, and it works just fine. What I do want from you, BHN, is television service that doesn't suck. And if you can't give that to me, you will soon lose me as a customer.

Do whatever you have to do. If you want to continue selling all this other crap, then put it on pipes that can support it all (fiber, dammit!). But if you're going to continue running on copper, then at least throttle the damn bandwith being sucked up by your internet customers. You like to boast about your 5, 7, 10mbps connections. Good for your internet customers! But bad for your TV customers.

Meanwhile, the guys that have the other two-thirds of my business are busy laying fiber optic cable. If they get to my house before you do, the jig is up. But you have an advantage - customer service. All other things being equal, I'd rather deal with you (God, I never thought I'd say this when TWC was at the stick!). But when the day comes that I have a choice, if you haven't cleaned up your act on the delivery end, your better customer service isn't going to save you. Do yourself a favor: get back to the business that got you invited into my house in the first place...
post #4330 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 AM

I'm assuming (but not certain) that digital phone, uses the same frequencies as the cable internat connection. And I am also assuming (but not certain) that these frequencies do not fall within the bandwidth spectrum of digital cable, much like how DSL uses your phone line, but does not interfere with your phone calls.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The overcompression you are seeing is a result of the planning to add more channels. Every SD channel could and should look as great as the SD broadcasts on the HD channels. However, they look as poor as they do now thanks to the exploitation of the digital nature of the 1's and 0's and the ability to compress them.

I've noticed serious PQ degredation over the past few months, so I expect to see some new channels soon. Unfortunately, I don't think they compress any more and still have it be watchable, so they'll probably start implementing "switched digital" if they haven't already.

All of this is just a band-aid on the real problem, analog channels eat up the majority of the bandwidth...

I'm almost to the point of dropping digital cable and just going analog. No sense having digital when it is exploited to the point where your basically watching a 320x240 picture with pixelation and compression artifactsthat looks worse than a good clean analog run. I would miss the DVR a lot though....

The next year or 2, I will likely stay with BHN and see what happenes in the market. So many more channels will likely start filming in HD. DirecTV promising 100 new HD channels in the next year. Fiber slowly expanding to new markets. Who will sink or swim??? We'll see....
post #4331 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSteeler View Post

I'm assuming (but not certain) that digital phone, uses the same frequencies as the cable internat connection. And I am also assuming (but not certain) that these frequencies do not fall within the bandwidth spectrum of digital cable, much like how DSL uses your phone line, but does not interfere with your phone calls.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

RoadRunner uses QAM Channel 105 and I think the digital phone is QAM Channel 107.
post #4332 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabetcha View Post

RoadRunner uses QAM Channel 105 and I think the digital phone is QAM Channel 107.

OK, so I am wrong...

However, if the above is true, then these 2 services eat up such little bandwidth that stopping them is not going to improve picture quality... Not that I totally understand QAM and how BW a QAM channel can hog up in the worst case.

At any rate, the REAL reason the PQ is so compressed, is that each analog channel hogs up the BW required for approx 3 or more digital channels. So your starting with your plate 2/3 filled, and squeezing into your 1/3 is all the HD channels, all the digital channels, internet, phone, on demand, music channels, etc....
post #4333 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

TWC makes deal for MHD.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/timemhd121106.htm

The TV Guy blog at orlandosentinel.com posted some information from BHN about a couple of new channels from MTV and related networks. Everything announced is either SD or channel relocation:

Logo, a channel that caters to gay and lesbian viewers, will join the Bright House Networks lineup.

Bright House will preview Logo, starting Dec. 13 on Channel 181. Then Logo will be a regular channel available to digital customers, Bright House spokeswoman Sara Brady said Friday.

Also starting Dec. 13, Bright House will add several music-on-demand channels and MTV tr3s, which is aimed at Spanish-speaking viewers.
MTV tr3s will be at Channel 170.

Brady also announced that Bright House will shift some other channels on Dec. 13. These include:

Outdoor, from 168 to 101.
ESPN Classic, from 129 to 103.
Tennis, from 551 to 107.
ESPN News, from 131 to 111.
NBA TV, from 552 to 108.
CSTV, from 554 to 106.
Versus, from 167 to 102.
Fox Soccer, from 128 to 104.
Fuel, from 553 to 105.

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
SA 8300HD DVR
Samsung HD DVR
post #4334 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Headline today at yahoo: NFL offering free week of its network

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061212/...work_free_view

Commissioner Roger Goodell told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the week of Dec. 24-30 would be offered as a "free view" for customers of Cablevision and Time Warner Cable, two of the nation's largest cable carriers. The NFL Network would be offered on the expanded basic levels of the two carriers.

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #4335 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twartacus View Post

Headline today at yahoo: NFL offering free week of its network

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061212/...work_free_view

Commissioner Roger Goodell told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the week of Dec. 24-30 would be offered as a "free view" for customers of Cablevision and Time Warner Cable, two of the nation's largest cable carriers. The NFL Network would be offered on the expanded basic levels of the two carriers.

Has anyone found out if Brighthouse will have the free preview? Is it in hd?

Dave
post #4336 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 06:25 PM

[quote=Barry928]I recommend BHN over the Sat services for the superior quality of the HD channels. I was a D* subscriber for 10 years until the excessive MPEG2 compression drove me away. Right now Sat is running HD channels as low as 9 or 10mbps with MPEG2 and they are also reducing 1080i HD channels resolution to 1280 x 1088i.

I have both. Directv for the NFL package and BHN for HD. I think the real decision will come in 07 when Directv launches their 2 satellites that will allow them to add most of the available HD channels. One would also assume with this capacity the resolution problem should improve. Time will tell.

If they add most of the available HD channels with improved quality and BHN does not add any which seems their plan, then Barry could change his mind.
post #4337 of 18993 Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Picture quality and customer service is what drove me away from cable to D* in 1993. Picture quality again drove me away from D* in 2003. No one knows what D* will do with the MPEG4 opportunity. Quantity or Quality? We shall see in 2007.

post #4338 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post

Outdoor, from 168 to 101.
ESPN Classic, from 129 to 103.
Tennis, from 551 to 107.
ESPN News, from 131 to 111.
NBA TV, from 552 to 108.
CSTV, from 554 to 106.
Versus, from 167 to 102.
Fox Soccer, from 128 to 104.
Fuel, from 553 to 105.

To me, this looks like the setting up of a clear sports package that seems to be in line with what the whole NFL Network issue is.
101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 111

I notice the 109 and 110 missing... NFL Network? FOX Sports Net? ESPN-U?

Boy, sure would be nice to have FSN... like EVERYONE else!

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #4339 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Well, if those channels become a separate package I will not be paying for it. I don't think I have ever watched any of those channels. But, if ESPN2 HD was part of that package then I would pay for in a heart beat. Also, is the NFL Network in HD? If not, then I could care less if it ever comes to BHN. I never want my bill to increase because of SD channels but I'll gladly pay extra for more HD. HD is where it's at in my house and I'm willing to throw money at it. SD channels are so 1990s and I'm not willing to pay more for them, even if it is the NFL Network? Give me more HD or nothing IMO.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #4340 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

I am not aware of anyone in Central Florida that has attempted to attach the eSata drive to expand the storage space. Supposably 2.5.066 does enable this ability but it is in no way supported by BHN so you are on your own. The main problem you need to be aware of is the loss of the trick play buffer (translate: not wife friendly, no more pause or simple time shift) and if the host 8300 dies or needs to be changed for any reason your external drive data will be lost.

I would suggest adding up the complete cost of the project to compare with the cost of simply adding a second 8300.

Seeing as I had a spare 320 GB SATA drive laying around, and I use eSATA enclosures for work, I hooked up the drive to my 8300 the day the new software rolled out. After powering up the DVR, a screen pops up asking to format the drive. After formatting, it confirmed the drive was ready for use. It's been running for weeks now, with no issue.

According to the diag screen on the 8300, I now have a total of 459 GB total space.

I will confirm that the trick play buffer is now gone, but I have never used it much to really miss it. I do hope the MDN software brings this feature back.

Just an FYI for those of you tempted to try it. It works!
post #4341 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmassa View Post

Seeing as I had a spare 320 GB SATA drive laying around, and I use eSATA enclosures for work, I hooked up the drive to my 8300 the day the new software rolled out. After powering up the DVR, a screen pops up asking to format the drive. After formatting, it confirmed the drive was ready for use. It's been running for weeks now, with no issue.

According to the diag screen on the 8300, I now have a total of 459 GB total space.

I will confirm that the trick play buffer is now gone, but I have never used it much to really miss it. I do hope the MDN software brings this feature back.

I was temtped to buy an external SATA drive and try this, so good to know. Couple of related questions for the group:

1) Which diag screen shows the hard drive size?
2) What size HD does the 8300HD have?
3) What is the HD space in recording time for HD and SD material?

Haven't had much on there yet (a lot of re-runs now), but did have several things on my D* Tivos a few months back, so just wondering. My media center PC has a dedicated 500GB drive for SD recording, so I do most of that there and use the 8300 for HD mostly.
post #4342 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

does anyone else notice that ABC Family has a bight black level? (and the picture just never seems sharp?)
post #4343 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmassa View Post

Good work. Thanks for the report. There are a couple of MDN threads running now and so far it sounds like the new software for the 8300 will have many more of the Tivo type features. I will keep an eye out for any mention of external drives.

post #4344 of 18993 Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a good technical article to show the direction cable companies are going as they transition to switched digital video (SDV). There are some good graphics to help understand the bandwidth distribution of the cable system and the challanges faced by companies like BHN.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA6375650.html

post #4345 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

TWC thumbs their nose @ the NFL free view offer
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News

Here's a petition to allow cable companies to do a Sunday Ticket type thing
http://www.sportschoicenow.org
post #4346 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 06:46 AM

What a shame how much BW analog hogs...

Makes you wonder..... A small piece of hardware that goes behind your TV, no display or remote, that simply strips off the first 70 digital TV channels and does a digital to analog conversion. What would that cost?

Or some hi-tech amplified splitter that takes 100% digital channels, passes that out to 2 lines, and then converts to analog for say 50 channels and splits that out 4 ways. So then every customer would only have to have 1 of these devices.

So your analog TV would see the exact same signals it sees now, but the incoming cable would be 100% digital.

I'm sure I am probably way over simplifying this device, and not sure what it would cost, but you wonder that if something could be bought, how does that cost compare to all this R&D, and compression, MPEG4, switched digtal, and these other technologies cable companies are investing in.

Just turn off analog, and you have another decade's worth of BW at your disposal. There has to be a better way to get rid of analog other than forcing everyone to rent a STB for every TV they own.

You have to wonder, is the future of cable TV really trying to switch, compress, and manipulate their tiny digital bandwidth to squeeze as much in as possible, or should it be a transition away from analog all together resulting in enormouse amounts of freed up bandwidth...???
post #4347 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

Hi folks -

CT Comcast guy here. We bought my father-in-law a small HD LCD set which has a built-in ASTC/QAM tuner and plan to deliver it to him over the holiday week. He's in Titusville and I believe has BHN cable. He also has D* (since he has in NY) but BHN is part of his association fees so he gets it for "free". I've read through a lot of this thread trying to get a sense of how many digital channels this TV should be able to get from BHN. I saw a long list earlier on that had 30 or so mainly digital versions of analogs. What about the HD locals? I get all the HD locals here in CT plus a national PBSHD feed.

Just bumping this up, hoping for a response. Trying to decide if I need to set him up with an antenna to do OTA instead of the BHN option (which would clearly be easier!). Thanks.
post #4348 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

Just bumping this up, hoping for a response. Trying to decide if I need to set him up with an antenna to do OTA instead of the BHN option (which would clearly be easier!). Thanks.

You most likely won't get any digital channels on the tv because bhn encrypts everything.

You will need a cablecard to receive the digital channels.
post #4349 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 11:57 AM

An antenna in the attic will get PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPS, WB or whatever its called now, and a few other indenpendents/PBS/religious channels..

From brevard county, I recommend one with an amplifier. I use a Radio Shack one that looks like a stealth fighter. 98% signal from Palm Bay.

Just remember that analog cable shares some same frequencies as the antenna, so you'll need to fish him a coax wire from the attic to his TV.
post #4350 of 18993 Old 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

You most likely won't get any digital channels on the tv because bhn encrypts everything.

You will need a cablecard to receive the digital channels.

Thanks for the responses.

I thought cable companies were at least required to unencrypt the digital versions of the locals - even if they don't provide the HD versions. Someone posted here a couple of months ago (maybe longer, I read through a LOT of this before posting) that they got about 30 unencrypted digitals - just not HD (that I could tell).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page