Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Orlando, FL - BHN

Local HDTV Info and Reception

Stoodo's Avatar Stoodo
06:36 AM Liked: 10
post #451 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 108
Is WESH Channel 2 still down for anyone? (OTA)
orateam's Avatar orateam
10:52 AM Liked: 10
post #452 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 25
It's still down. I'm getting channel 6 now at 99 strength along with just about every other digital except

24 - PBS
2 - NBC

i get 0 strength for either.
wditto's Avatar wditto
11:35 AM Liked: 10
post #453 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 11
Orlando NBC affiliate WESH-HD feed on COX Gainesville/Ocala in Gainesville, FL went out 9pm Aug 13th and has been down since. We were expecting the hurricane that hit Orlando, but it went south. I presume all of Gainesville is not receiving HD Olympics feed.
Cloudscout's Avatar Cloudscout
05:12 PM Liked: 10
post #454 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 20
WESH-HD on BHN here in Casselberry (Channel 1020) is just a blank screen still.
Impala1ss's Avatar Impala1ss
08:43 PM Liked: 12
post #455 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 444
It would sure be nice for Brighthouse to advise us what has happened so we would know why we can't get the Olympics in HD. I guess it was the hurricane but who knows? 3 days off the air and still no hope in sight. Couldn't they put it on Ch. 1000? The CSRs don't have a clue as to what is wrong. Not advising the customers what is going on is bad business.
08:48 PM Liked: 10
post #456 of 19087
08-15-2004 | Posts: 20
I really don't think it's Brighthouse. It's far more likely that the outage is a problem at WESH. Is anyone actually able to receive WESH-HD via OTA broadcast even?
VanderRG's Avatar VanderRG
07:25 AM Liked: 10
post #457 of 19087
08-16-2004 | Posts: 34
Okay...mid August was estimated to be the release time for the HD-DVR...I know it wasn't a firm commitment or anything but the fact that it is now Mid-August does make me anxious for at least an update if anyone knows anything...

Plus it's now been many months since the Pace HD boxes were rolled out in limited numbers for market testing. The word in February was that those were being limited for the time being to make sure there were no bugs but that they would be made available for everyone at a later time.

Since I have a 4:3 digital TV, I would really benefit from its abilities relative to the SA box I currently have, but I didn't meet criteria for the Pace box in BH's eyes since I don't have a DVI input on my TV.

I had stopped caring too much about getting a PACE box since I want to get one of the HD-DVRs ASAP, but if there's going to be big delays on the HD-DVR rollout it makes me wonder if at least I could get a Pace box before football season...does anyoen have any info?

BV
07:38 AM Liked: 10
post #458 of 19087
08-16-2004 | Posts: 20
How would the Pace box be better than the SA box for 4:3 sets?

I find that the SA3250HD is better suited to my 4:3 HDTV than the Pace box was (they mistakenly gave me a Pace box initially but I needed the 3250 for the FireWire output to my VCR).

Which box do you have right now, the 3100?
08:43 AM Liked: 10
post #459 of 19087
I have the 3100 right now. When sending a signal through the component output, it converts everything to 1080i widescreen, even shows that are broadcast in 4:3, so I have the "double black bars phenomenon" when watching non-HD shows on the "HD" channels (my TV doesn't have a "zoom" feature to overcome this).

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, even non-HD shows look way way better on the digital versions of the network channels than on the normal channels (i.e. a non-HD broadcast of Sat afternoon college football on ABC looks much better on channel 1090 than on channel 7, even though both are showing the same broadcast).

The Pace box allows for aspect ratio switching on the fly so I could watch the game on the superior-quality of channel 1090 without losing a significant portion of my screen to double black bars. My in-laws have the Pace box and a 4:3 TV almost identical to my own and this works great for them.

Plus I understand the Pace box allows for component video pass through and sends sound from all the channels through the digital output (as opposed to just digitasl channels), both of which are of course unrelated to the 4:3 issue but which I could really use.
08:44 AM Liked: 10
post #460 of 19087
Cruzer's Avatar Cruzer
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #461 of 19087
08-16-2004 | Posts: 201
I just called WESH regarding HD Olympic coverage. When I first asked she said I should be getting it. Then I said nobody is getting it. Then she said "Oh, the power is down to the HD tower". I didn't bother to ask her when they would get power since I'm sure she doesn't know. The number is 407 645-2222 if anybody else wants to grill them more.
01:25 PM Liked: 10
post #462 of 19087
VanderG, the box you want is the SA3250HD. I was frustrated by the same "double black bars" problem as you're experiencing with the 3100 and the 3250HD deals with it in the best way possible. Here's how it works:

You tell the box what kind of set you have and what kind of resolutions it can accept. Chances are you'll set yours up the same way I've set mine up. You'll tell it you have a 4:3 set capable of displaying 480p and 1080i. When you tune to a channel that is 4:3, it outputs as 480p so it displays correctly as full-screen. When you tune to a channel that is HD, it outputs as 1080i.

The 3250HD does all of this automatically whereas on the Pace box you have to manually switch modes which isn't that big of a problem but it is much nicer to have the box do it for you... especially if you have non-tech-savvy people in the house who get confused easily by complex instructions regarding resolution changes or if you're a frequent channel surfer.
01:42 PM Liked: 10
post #463 of 19087
Wow...that sounds great!

I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea that BH of central Florida had another HD set top box besides the 3100 and the Pace box.

I guess my next question is how tough is it to get one? I tried like crazy to get one of the Pace boxes before, but many of the BH Customer Service Reps I spoke with didn't even know it existed and it took me many conversations before I even learned that they were reserved for certain customers (Greg finally gave me the scoop).

To your knowledge can I just show up at BH with my old box and ask to swap or is the distribution of the 3250 limited somehow like the Pace box's is?

thanks for this info!
BV

Okay- I just saw an old post from RudyT that said that you have to tell them you need the firewire output in order to get a 3250. Actually I would use the firewire if I had it since I could (and would) use it to record programs on my PC.

There was some other advice there regarding not scheduling a weekend install. If I follow that advice should I be in good shape?

Is my desire to record programs using the firewire output considered a "good enough" reason to get one of the boxes?

BV
Paul_Seng's Avatar Paul_Seng
02:11 PM Liked: 10
post #464 of 19087
08-16-2004 | Posts: 3,097
Here is an email I got from Richard Monn of WESH:

"Thanks for your email. We have no power at our DTV transmitter site. I am hoping to have power restored today but it is all dependant on Florida Power."
08:35 PM Liked: 10
post #465 of 19087
Quote:

I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea that BH of central Florida had another HD set top box besides the 3100 and the Pace box.

Don't be embarrassed. Most of BHN's own staff don't even know the box exists (look back a few weeks to read about my frustrating experiences trying to get one).

To the best of my knowledge, you won't be able to use the FireWire output on the 3250HD to record on your PC right now due to the copy protection it uses. You would need a DVHS VCR to record from it.

You also can NOT get the box by dropping by the local office. They have to schedule an installer to bring the box to your house. Try calling them to see if they will do so based on your need for the 4:3 capabilities. Keep in mind, you may have to put extra effort into convincing the person you talk to that such a box actually exists first. If they refuse to give one to you because you don't have a DVHS VCR, tell them you do have one. If they threaten to not install the box when delivered unless you have the VCR present, I'm sure you could borrow one for a few hours from someone here... hell, I'll lend mine to the cause for a couple of hours if you're not too far away.

Good luck!
bman549's Avatar bman549
12:27 PM Liked: 10
post #466 of 19087
08-17-2004 | Posts: 3
Anyone else missing WB-18 DT OTA today?
It was on yesterday when i reconnect the OTA antenna.
WESH-DT (2) and WMFE-DT(24) are still out as of this posting.
bman549's Avatar bman549
03:31 PM Liked: 10
post #467 of 19087
08-17-2004 | Posts: 3
WB-18 DT is back up.
Must have been down to check their system after the storm.
The other two are still down as of 5:30PM 8/17
gmclaughlin's Avatar gmclaughlin
07:55 AM Liked: 10
post #468 of 19087
08-18-2004 | Posts: 473
Hi all. Things as you might suspect are a bit hectic around here.

First off, I trust that everyone here survived with little damage. My house came through without a scratch, and I only lost a couple small trees in the backyard. My neighborhood, however, looks like Beirut. Huge trees down everywhere; power, telephone, and cable lines strewn across the ground, etc. We still don't have power back yet, and I'll be amazed if I have it by this weekend -- too many poles to replace. Cold showers suck.

If your cable service is inoperative, we appreciate you bearing with us. We've brought in crews from all over the country to put this thing back together, and they're out there working day and night. In most cases, when people's power is restored their cable service comes up as well. In other places we have to wait for the power companies to clean up their lines and reset their poles so we can get in and restore cable service.
Unfortunately, the storm went right through the older part of our cable plant, where the majority of lines were overhead.

The restoration efforts are also impacting us. Monday night (just one of several incidents) power restoration crews cut the fiber bundle providing connectivity to my downtown office. That type of stuff is what we'll have to deal with for the next few weeks until this is all behind us.

I personally have been occupied with the restoration effort, so I really hadn't been paying any attention to the HD nets. The information I've seen posted here reflects accurately what we've been told about the loss of signal from the local digital stations during the storm. My apologies for not getting information out to our customers regarding the loss of the feeds -- we were otherwise occupied.

Regarding the 3250 -- We bought the 550's over the 3250's because after very detailed testing, we were convinced the 550 is a better box, with features the 3250 couldn't touch. The only reason we have any 3250's is because they're the only ones available with the firewire port, and even that functionality is extremely limited. If you don't specifically require firewire, you want a Pace vice a 3250.

Finally, there's no time like the present to get to know, and help out your neighbors. Everybody stay safe, and we'll get back to normal soon.
12:30 PM Liked: 10
post #469 of 19087
08-18-2004 | Posts: 473
P.S. WESH DT's Olympic coverage is back up. I'm looking at swimming right now.
thess's Avatar thess
04:15 PM Liked: 10
post #470 of 19087
08-18-2004 | Posts: 117
Downtown (Church Street) here--cable has been fine this week, but this afternoon all premium channels seem to be out (HBO, SHO, and HD channels). I haven't watched a great deal of television since the storm, but I know that the premiums were working before because my TiVo caught Six Feet Under and Dead Like Me on Sunday evening with no problems.

Anyone else?

Not a huge deal, just curious is this is storm-related (since it seems to be a today thing).

EDIT: It appears to be all the digital and premium channels.
08:42 AM Liked: 10
post #471 of 19087
08-19-2004 | Posts: 473
I'm downtown on Pine Street, and all our digital channels were working normally as of yesterday afternoon about 5:30, and are working this morning. Are they still out?
NewtoHD's Avatar NewtoHD
12:54 PM Liked: 10
post #472 of 19087
08-19-2004 | Posts: 22
Just curious if anyone else with the Pace box experiences the same problem I have. While changing channels and watching analog, then go to the HD channels, a lot of the time (not all the time), the picture has a green tint to it, then turn power off and back on, the picture is normal...

Anyone else having this problem, anything I can do, or just ask for a new box? Was planning on just holding out until the HD DVRs are available to swap out anyway...

Thanks!
mhdiab's Avatar mhdiab
01:19 PM Liked: 10
post #473 of 19087
08-19-2004 | Posts: 2,367
Quote:

the picture has a green tint to it, then turn power off and back on, the picture is normal...

Got it - I thought it was the tv - now sure it is not
investor27's Avatar investor27
05:22 PM Liked: 11
post #474 of 19087
08-19-2004 | Posts: 115
I just moved here to Orlando two weeks ago, and a category 4 hurricane came through to welcome us to Orlando. My wife and I were really unprepared for the hurricane. It was really scary for the both of us. Anyway, we have been trying to get Bright House to come out and hook up cable services for us for the last two weeks. When they finally came today, my 32" HDTV is 10 feet away fromt he cable outlet, so the guy told me that he couldn't hook up the cable to my TV. He said Bright HOuse will only let him leave me a 3 foot cable, and he could not help me move the 250 lbs TV, because Bright House will not let him. I asked him how is he going to test to see if the cable box he brought with him will work with my HDTV if he couldn't hook it up, and he said he couldn't help me and just left my house. I was shocked and at awe and I have been trying to reach Bright House for the last few hours asking what's going on. Is this normal? Aren't they supposed to hook up the cable box to see if it works? I have a HDMI input, and the cable box that they were supposed to bring out to me is the SA3250 box with DVI and component outs. Will Bright House be providing a DVI cable or Component cable during the installation?

I hope everyone in the Orlando area is well. There's so much destructions around here it's unbelievable. Thank you.
dgmayor's Avatar dgmayor
06:19 AM Liked: 10
post #475 of 19087
08-20-2004 | Posts: 261
Quote:

Originally posted by thess
Downtown (Church Street) here--cable has been fine this week, but this afternoon all premium channels seem to be out (HBO, SHO, and HD channels). I haven't watched a great deal of television since the storm, but I know that the premiums were working before because my TiVo caught Six Feet Under and Dead Like Me on Sunday evening with no problems.

Anyone else?

Not a huge deal, just curious is this is storm-related (since it seems to be a today thing).

EDIT: It appears to be all the digital and premium channels.

I'm on Goldenrod South of University and my digital channels have been cutting in and out the last few days. It was really bad Sunday night until Wednesday or so. It seemed to clear up, but it's doing it again. It's also effect my Internet obviously, as it's going up and down.
08:33 AM Liked: 10
post #476 of 19087
08-20-2004 | Posts: 473
Investor27,

Read your PM. We'll get this straightened out.
Suzook's Avatar Suzook
02:37 PM Liked: 27
post #477 of 19087
08-20-2004 | Posts: 5,483
Can anyone recommend a good ISF calibrator in Orlando. And for the gentlemen who was talking about BHN only leaving 3 feet of cable, I can relate as I have had the same discussion. However the technician should not have to move your tv because if he gets hurt doing so BHN would be liable. Not good

Cheers
04:26 PM Liked: 10
post #478 of 19087
08-20-2004 | Posts: 20
If someone has an HDTV with a built-in tuner that supports both ATSC and QAM is it possible to receive at least the local HDTV feeds via BHN or do they encrypt all digital feeds? I know Comcast customers can receive their locals and a couple of SD digital channels without a cable box if they have a QAM receiver. Just curious if Brighthouse supports it or not.
PeterShipp's Avatar PeterShipp
07:26 AM Liked: 10
post #479 of 19087
08-21-2004 | Posts: 183
Bright House does not send anything clear. They only support one-way CableCARD at this point, and you can get the card from customer service. Greg can probably elaborate more.
Barry928's Avatar Barry928
07:40 AM Liked: 10
post #480 of 19087
08-21-2004 | Posts: 2,363
Suzook,

You have a PM.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread