Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #541 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, ESPN HD on BHN...

DirecTV just added Bravo HD+ and a good rumor has it that they will catch up with Voom in the next 2 months on HD carriage of the major HD Networks. I'll keep my dish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DirecTV just added Bravo HD+ and a good rumor has it that they will catch up with Voom in the next 2 months on HD carriage of the major HD Networks. I'll keep my dish...

Yeah and compressing three channels into 29mb - three per transponder - staying with Cable that is for sure
post #543 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by james32746
this may sound weird to you guys:

If you have a S/A 3100HD or any other S/A cable box, you can get these easter egg VOD channels:

First: Press the round enter key on the front panel navigation keys and push exit on the front panel buttons simultaneously. If done right you will hear a chime and the words "diag" flashing at the same time.

Second: Enter In The Specific Channel Number of these new channels (you can't use the EPG or channel up or down keys)

These Channels are:

301-A&E On Demand
302-BBC America On Demand
303-Cartoon Network On Demand
304-CNN Showcase On Demand
305-Comedy Central On Demand
306-CourtTV On Demand
307-DIY! On Demand
308-Food Network On Demand
309-G4TechTV On Demand
310-Golf Channel On Demand
311-HGTV On Demand
312-Music On Demand (music videos)
313-Kids On Demand

This is really cool... weird that they are hidden... but pretty cool.

Also... I came home to ESPN-HD... the week that the NFL season starts!?!?! My prayers are answered!!!

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #544 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 12:44 PM

I ordered the HD tier package so I could get ESPN-HD. I got the HD tier ordered and I can get to the indemand channels no problem. ESPN-HD doesn't show up in the guide and when I type in the channel number, I just get ???? like it doesn't know the channel. I held down the power button to reboot the box but no change. With my SA8000, it isn;t in the guide but I can punch in the number and it tells me that the channel is ESPN-HD and to call to order.

Any ideas??? Anyone else with the Pace box getting ESPN-HD? I am in West Melbourne if that has any effect on anything.

Thanks!
Chris
post #545 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was able to get to the channels but it says I have to call to subscribe
post #546 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cdwillie76
I ordered the HD tier package so I could get ESPN-HD. I got the HD tier ordered and I can get to the indemand channels no problem. ESPN-HD doesn't show up in the guide and when I type in the channel number, I just get ???? like it doesn't know the channel. I held down the power button to reboot the box but no change. With my SA8000, it isn;t in the guide but I can punch in the number and it tells me that the channel is ESPN-HD and to call to order.

Any ideas??? Anyone else with the Pace box getting ESPN-HD? I am in West Melbourne if that has any effect on anything.

Thanks!
Chris

I have one Pace 550 and one SA3200HD boxes. Both had no problems getting the channel or the guide with the information in it. Check with BHN and see if they can do something.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #547 of 18857 Old 09-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Not sure what happened but ESPN-HD now shows up on my Pace 500 guide and I can watch it

Now we just need the HD-PVR, going to be more of a pain now switching between the LD-PVR and my Pace. I caught myself more than once wanting to pause and rewind on the Pace lol
post #548 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 04:44 AM

I'm in Tampa and can't necessarily confirm, but it sounds like we took a bit longer adding ESPN-HD to the Deland Headend, versus the Winter Park Headend. That would explain why Melbourne took longer.

We continue to work the HD-PVR issue. Waiting on software now.

Greg
post #549 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 10:15 AM

Liked: 14
Anyone have any idea why the Bucs game is not in HD or at least in WS?
post #550 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

No - I am looking for their phone-number - does anyone have it? Reported as HD in the rest of the country
post #551 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I called they told me second game will be in HD not this game - it is on in the rest of the country and they refused to connect me - I told them to tell the guys in the tech room that they were making a mistake.......
post #552 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 10:59 AM

I have the pace box and fox is suppose to be doing the 720p format. My tv can only do 480i/480p/1080i. Does the pace box convert it to 1080i?
Thanks
Chris
post #553 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

yes it will convert if you set it to do so. Press the # button and hold it in and you will see what it is outputting it to. For example both ABC and ESPN are 720p as well so if you have been able to see HD on those you have it set right.

However, WFOL are idiots and they won't believe that this game is in HD so maybe next one...

and I thought the splicer was supposed to be fool-proof or there is some other issue that they didn't want to tell me
post #554 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 11:13 AM

I was able to watch espn hd last night so I must be doing it right. I wonder if the control room at fox is watching the game since they are advertising that the game is being broadcasted in 720p, 5.1 dolby...the best format or something like that....
post #555 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was able to watch espn hd last night so I must be doing it right. I wonder if the control room at fox is watching the game since they are advertising that the game is being broadcasted in 720p, 5.1 dolby...the best format or something like that....

Information in the OTA thread that the hurricanes blew out their splicer - therefore no HD today - hopefully sometime next week.
post #556 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 01:38 PM

I don't know about you but at this time, the second game is not being shown in HD. Both games today were available in HD. WOFL simply blew it.
post #557 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it's hard to even take a glance at what was posted before you

It's reported, that WOFL's fiber lead for the spilcer system is broke, therefore they are unable to deliever any of Fox's HD programming this week, they hope to have it fixed by next weekend...
post #558 of 18857 Old 09-12-2004, 07:39 PM

Not for nothing and maybe my background isn't up to speed with the "new" ways of doing things, but for what reason would they need any fiber backhaul, and where is it to/from?

Why not pull the network feeds down via sat directly into the control room and switch it live? Is HD not sourced over the air via sat backhaul? Doesn't make sense to me that they are pulling a nationwide fiber link to all affiliates, I would think that an uplink/downlink would play better as you eliminate any failures on the part of the telco that supplies the fiber.

And again, not for nothing but if your main source of content delivery was a closed fiber link, then would it not make sense to add a layer of REDUNDANCY by feeding on satellite?

Quite frankly this is getting annoying that every time there is a major event or it's NFL season, a golf tournament, basically whatever, our market continues to suffer due to poor planning.

Again this all doesn't make sense and maybe someone can explain the logic to me behind the network delivery system in use. My background is in broadcast FM and land mobile radio service. I'm an RF engineer by trade so this all seems odd to me that we're not watching HD in Orlando on events that are in HD.

Miguel Lombana
post #559 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

lombana - I don't have the skills, time or knowledge to explain the splicer technolog , but make a search on the main thread for fox splicer and the old threads should come up. This technology is brand new and has been and is still being installed nationwide by FOX which would explain why time wasn't spent on redundancy, but getting it up. Not sure how it can be getting old when Fox never broadcasted HD before and this was there first weekend and it works in the rest of the country, but you know those two small hurricanes that came by and said hi?...........

Someone else can explain the technical, but my assumption was either that the splicer blew out (they wouldn't have a spare on hand) or the T-1 from the tower to the station blew out.................
post #560 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 06:20 AM

EDIT: I finally got someone on the phone at Brighthouse. Basically I have to reboot my box again and if that doesn't work, the box is likely the cause.

I've got the Pace HD box and my HD channels have not worked since after Hurricane Charley. They appear to have macroblocking and the sound cuts in and out very frequently. I've rebooted the box several times to no avail. I was patient with it and had not called Brighthouse until last night, when all I get is a busy signal. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to contact them?

Thanks,
Sean
post #561 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 AM

I also want to compliment BHN following Charley and Frances. I never lost cable or internet access through either storm. Maybe it has something to do with all of the utilities being buried in my neighborhood since we didn't lose power for more than 30 minutes. Regardless, I have never been better pleased with a cable company since I have been with BHN.
post #562 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 07:56 AM
mwk

Gregg you da man, thanks for the ESPN-HD the game looked great last night. As far as hurricane service my power was out for 5 days with Charlie when it came on I had cable. Never lost cable with Frannie. Good job guys.
post #563 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 09:16 AM

Thanks, I did google it and found an article from Fox Networks on the box, it's a box, and as I expected, delivery is via satellite downlink to the affiliate and the HD content is streamed into master control. But as you stated it's likely that no one ever dreamed of a failover scenario so no backup for redundancy was ever thought of. Which is interesting because I recall back in my early days of broadcast I was able to take a tour of NBC NY and was impressed that EVERYTHING is redundant. When something as basic as a commercial plays it's running an a and b feed in the event that the first fails. I don't undersstand why this wasn't designed into this content delivery aspect but if $$$ is to blame then I understant.

The box the BP 5100 Broadcast Platform from Terayon Communication Systems is basically no more than an interface that takes the datastream from the air delivered content and allows the local station to insert local content directly to their encoder so there is no conversion between the HD feed and non HD local inserts.

As for my comment on non-HD delivery in the past, not just FOX, it's happened over and over where an HD feed was national and we were left in the SD realm. Look at 65 (41.1) and all their Star Trek's that were delivered in SD here and HD everywhere else for almost a full year. CBS Orlando with HD/SD swapping for entire episodes of CSI and other shows... it's just interesting that in other markets that I've visited HD is solid and here it's hit and miss.

The digital world is 1 year and just over 3 months away, unless the FCC steps in and extends and most markets are still lagging, including Orlando, heck where are the spanish stations in HD, haven't seen a signal from them yet!

I spent time working on a radio system in Raleigh and WRAL picked up on this game years ago. I asked a camera crew at the Orange County EOC 2 weeks ago who were about to go live for a hurricane when they were planning HD cams and they looked at me like I was from space.

Anyway, it just strikes me odd that if you're going to do something and it all hinges on 1 box, you might see the bigger picture and plan for it a little better. FOX should have had a backup unit FEDEX'd in or something in time for their 720p Premier.

Just my thoughts...
Miguel

Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab
lombana - I don't have the skills, time or knowledge to explain the splicer technolog , but make a search on the main thread for fox splicer and the old threads should come up. This technology is brand new and has been and is still being installed nationwide by FOX which would explain why time wasn't spent on redundancy, but getting it up. Not sure how it can be getting old when Fox never broadcasted HD before and this was there first weekend and it works in the rest of the country, but you know those two small hurricanes that came by and said hi?...........

Someone else can explain the technical, but my assumption was either that the splicer blew out (they wouldn't have a spare on hand) or the T-1 from the tower to the station blew out.................

post #564 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The digital world is 1 year and just over 3 months away, unless the FCC steps in and extends and most markets are still lagging, including Orlando, heck where are the spanish stations in HD, haven't seen a signal from them yet!

Don't forget the mandate is for digital not HD. They were in full compliance with their broadcast on the digital channels - doesn't say anything about resolution to be broadcasted..........

Also you can't compare to WRAL. WRAL is by far and has been the regional leader in HD across the country - they were first with everything. They mulitcasted all the CBS NCAA Final 64 games over five years ago (or so) something that wasn't done in this market even this year...... I lived in Raleigh for 6 years and believe they did the most impressive local HD launch done in this country...IMHO

I do agree though - lots of hit and miss in this market. The Fox thing is different since most of it is run out of the head-office and they paid for the splicer - I think they decided that financially it wasn't worth giving one backup to each station, but instead have a few on hand to send out when needed. I think once it is up either Fox is doing it right or it affects all their stations to pretty much the same effect. Not like UPN, CBS etc
post #565 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 AM

The Broncos/Chiefs game last night had the best picture quality I've EVER seen; now I'm really glad I spent the extra bucks on a DLP set! Big congrats to BHN for finishing the long-awaited deal w/ Disney.

I wonder how it feels to be the FOX station manager here in Orlando, who must get credit for airing pure digital crap once again. The hurricanes are not a credible excuse for the disgusting PQ that I have seen consistently for the last 8 months since I bought my TV. Yesterday's games (even in SD) suffered from extreme pixelation/freezing/audio dropout/whatever to the point where I simply had to switch back to analog (uggh!).

Unfortunately for BHN, most people will not realize that the problems with FOX are NOT the fault of the cable company, and so may form unjustified negative opinions. If I was running BHN in central florida, I would refuse to even carry WOFL in high-def until their performance was verifiably more reliable. But that's just me...
post #566 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 10:57 AM

ESPN-HD!!! I'm so excited. I've been out of touch for a few day and i login to check the board and find this!! Thank you!!

Greg, is ESPN-HD avaliable to all TWC/BH subscribers? I have some friends back in Austin, TX that would love to hear it's avaliable to them.

Thanks again!!
post #567 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 11:04 AM

Rather than upgrading my satdish to HD, I am considering switching to BHN. Can a few of you BHN subscribers tell me what HD Smartbox they are installing and whether or not they have DVI or HDMI ports? Any other info you think would be helpful is also appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #568 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM

Liked: 14
Greg, thanks for the news re ESPN-HD. Looks great. Two additional questions:

1. Is there any chance of a software upgrade to the SA 3100s to allow the current station to remain in the preview box while surfing from an HD channel (hope this makes sense)? I know the Pace box can do this; and

2. Any chance of BHN adding some movie HD stations like Starz, Max or the like?

If BHN were to get some of these, I would cancel my D* subscription and go solely with BHN (I use D* for the Sunday Ticket - although with the way they now blackout the games shown on the local channels from the main list - including the NFL HD channels, it makes the package less valuable).

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #569 of 18857 Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by K4REE
Rather than upgrading my satdish to HD, I am considering switching to BHN. Can a few of you BHN subscribers tell me what HD Smartbox they are installing and whether or not they have DVI or HDMI ports? Any other info you think would be helpful is also appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The main box is the Pace 550 which has a DVI/HDMI port. The alternate is the SA 3200 HD which also has that port plus a firewire port. Hope that helps.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #570 of 18857 Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 AM

All,

If you're still in possession of one of our SA3100's, I'm pretty sure our operations will let you bring it in to a front counter and swap it for a Pace 550HD. I think we made that standard policy about 3-4 months ago. If you don't feel capable of swapping it out yourself, we could schedule a service call to do it, but there would be a charge for the trip.

That said, it's prudent to call ahead and make sure one will be available at the front counter. If anyone has problems arranging to pick one up, PM me and I'll get something arranged.

I don't think we're sending out any 3100HD's on new installations anymore. New installs should all be Pace 550HD. The 3250's with the firewire output continue to be problematic, and while we're required to supply one on request, I wouldn't recommend one.

GATOR: The 3100HD doesn't have the processing power to make the window work. Swap it out for a 550. You'll like the other features as well.

We're working the additional movie stations as well, but have some obstacles to clear first.

SAM0U8: The ESPN deal is available to all BHN / TWC divisions -- there may be some delays as some special equipment is required to receive and decode the ESPN signal to our headends, and individual divisions may not have it in stock. We "just happened" to have the right box awaiting completion of the deal :-) , so we were able to act quickly.

Greg
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page