12Likes

post #721 of 18939 Old 11-01-2004, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Fred:

Thanks. I like the convenience argument. I have a monster roof antenna and I am not able to receive all the OTA-HD channels.

I received a letter from BHN yesterday. They bought Heathrow Cable and are now wiring the community with fiber optic. Service will be available beginning next year. I think I will try the service but keep my dish just in case. I presume the analog channels you mentioned are not the ones I watch. If all the premium movie channels are digital I will be a happy camper.

Is Higher Definition the name of your company? If so, what kind of business you have?

Thanks again

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 18939 Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brighthouse claims that they relay HD channels without any additional compression. Local HD channels through BHN should be just the same as receiving them OTA.

JD
post #723 of 18939 Old 11-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
Fred:

Thanks. I like the convenience argument. I have a monster roof antenna and I am not able to receive all the OTA-HD channels.

I received a letter from BHN yesterday. They bought Heathrow Cable and are now wiring the community with fiber optic. Service will be available beginning next year. I think I will try the service but keep my dish just in case. I presume the analog channels you mentioned are not the ones I watch. If all the premium movie channels are digital I will be a happy camper.

Is Higher Definition the name of your company? If so, what kind of business you have?

Thanks again

Sergio

ALl of the premium movie channels are delivered digitally, at the same quality as your DBS satellite service. Also, HBO and Showtime have HDTV channels on Brighthouse Networks.

Yes, Higher Definition is my company. We are a custom home theater sales and installation company. There are several local dealers here in the Orlando area that are also part of the AVS Forum. I don't like to promote my business here, as this is a forum for us to share information, not to sell our wares. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If you would like to call me directly, please feel free to visit my company's website, www.higherdef.com and contact me via email or directly via phone.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #724 of 18939 Old 11-02-2004, 12:08 PM
mwk

Guess we know where AVS forum stands
post #725 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 07:56 AM

All,

Sorry, I haven't been around, but things have been busy here. To cover a few things.

1) Boxes with time problems - we had a software issue that causes boxes to shift time by an hour. It required a new code download.

2) Boxes with scrolling numbers in the display - as we push new software code down to settops, it essentially is a process where we command the settop to request the new code be downloaded. At any given instance, there is a possiblity that the box just doesn't get the code, generally due to a signal strength issue or internal box failure. In that case, it just continues to request the new code.

3) HD-DVR - BHN started initial deployment of SA 8300HD's in Tampa this week. We're able to start in that region because they run SARA operating software, while in Central Florida we run Passport. Because Passport is written by somebody other than SA, any releases to support new SA hardware are always a couple months behind the SARA release. The Passport code for the 8300 is being tested, and depending on the results of testing and time to certify the code, I'd expect to have it available in about 2-3 months. It is a huge improvement over the 8000HD, and comes with a couple of nifty features which I'll demonstrate at the CFHDS tour on the 13th.

4) Heathrow - I guarantee that with the equipment upgrades we're going to be installing, the picture and product/channel offerings will be head and shoulders above Heathrow Cable. Fred and I have had the discussion about analog channels, but here are some points to consider:

a) Digital Channels - Digital transmission mediums are vastly different, and BHN has some substantial advantages in my opinion.
b) BHN Digital vs. DBS digital - The DBS providers have a tool that allows "variable bit rate" encoding, meaning they can crank up or down the compression at will. Look at the vast number of picture quality complaints on HBO as the Sunday Ticket HD games cranked up, with 3 HD channels crammed onto the same transponder. Look at the over-compression of the local SD channels compared to the main "cable" networks. BHN does not own compression equipment, we've resisted vendors who pushed us to "rate-shape", etc.
c) The vast majority of our local signals, both analog and digital, are delivered to BHN headends via fiber, instead of over the air. We carried WKMG's 2001 Super Bowl broadcast months before their tower was even put up. The signal is significantly less susceptible to disruption than OTA, even in a digital transmission.

5) For slimoli: Try BHN - you've got nothing to lose. Hook it up and try it for a month, and form your own opinion. With no contracts, you can turn it all back in to us at any time. I don't recommend you try this in reverse, as the DBS contract requirements will tie your hands significantly.

Finally, with regard to "Guess we know where AVS forum stands"...I agree. I think its obvious they stand firmly in support of increased public awareness of High Definition and advanced technology entertainment, and that Ken H. is firmly convinced that political discussions (other than the FCC) belong somewhere else. Exactly as it should be. I value the information and feedback I get from this site and you "users" too much to lose it.

Greg
post #726 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 08:03 AM

Huzzah! Thanks Greg for your support and updates as always!

Sometimes a little bit of status update on the HD-PVR keeps us breathing until the day we can get one.
post #727 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 08:14 AM

Oh man, I sure wish I wasn't going to be out of town on the 13th for the BHN tour.

Thanks for the great info Greg. The SARA vs Passport software difference must be why my friend in Clearwater with the same DVR box that I have has a very different menu look and maybe some other differences.
post #728 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

We still have openings on the Central Florida HD Society tour of BHN. The details are posted here.

The CFHDS is a free organization.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #729 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM

I had DirectTV (SD only) for a while and could compare the analog channels on my 57". The BHN analog channels had static. Those same channels on DirectTV " were blurry. (I didn't have an antenna so I couldn't compare to OTA. I'm speaking of ESPN for example) . Hard to decide which was more annoying. On my 32" SD TV the blur wasn't as noticeable and the picture preferable. However, that was at least a year ago and I feel the analogs have cleaned up a bit.
Not to jump on the BHN love fest bandwagon but from what I've read on other forums we have one of the best HD cable companies in the country. And from what I've read of complaints from DBS customers about compression I think we get pretty high QoS (signal wise) from BHN. Not to mention their demonstrable commitment to HD.
And most importanly we have Greg.

You should probably ask the question on the CFL OTA thread also, if you haven't already. Anybody have the link?
post #730 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 01:02 PM

I too will be out of town on the 13th. I hope someone that attends gives us a good recap.
post #731 of 18939 Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sam0u8
I too will be out of town on the 13th. I hope someone that attends gives us a good recap.

I'll second that, I'll be in Palm Beach showing my car, no way I can get back up here in time (or even try as I am going on to Miami to see family).

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #732 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 AM

Greg,

Can you provide a brief overview of the 8300DVR? I'm a current DirecTivo user on DirecTV (gasp!). I currently have BHN for RoadRunner and was considering switching back to BHN to save some money on the combo and because I recently got a HDTV. I really love the Tivo and can't do without a DVR so I'm curious if you could give some details on the pros and cons of the 8300 vs the HD DirecTivo. Obviously upfront costs of the HD Tivo are huge so I'm tempted to hold off until the 8300DVR is released.
post #733 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 PM

recently switched to bhn -- anyone know if there is a listing of which magic games on sunshine bhn will broadcast in hd and, if so, where? btw, do they add a channel for such broadcasts?? Thanks!
post #734 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The magic sched is on the previous page:

10 Magic home games will be in HD this season.

Monday 11/29 vs Boston
Saturday 12/18 vs Denver
Saturday 1/8 vs New Jersey
Tuesday 1/18 vs Detroit
Friday 1/28 vs Washington
Tuesday 2/1 vs Cleveland
Thursday 2/10 vs Atlanta
Tuesday 2/15 vs LA Clippers
Sunday 3/13 vs New Jersey
Wednesday 3/30 vs Toronto

They will be on a certain channel number, don't remember what it is...
post #735 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Greg:

Thank you very much. I will try BHN for sure. I have never had Heathrow cable , the worst and most expensive cable on earth. I had a bad experience with Time Warner Cable when I was living in NYC (digital with fiber optic) and was never happy with picture quality. I like the picture of Dishnet but they have a HD DVR that doesn't work and the appeal to get digital local channels from cable is enough to worth a try. I also think that cable is much less messy than dishes and switches.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #736 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

For me to go back to cable these would be my terms

All analog channels duplicated with little compression in digital
The price of their standard & digital cable would have to be $49.99
The price of their set-top boxes would have to be $5 each
post #737 of 18939 Old 11-04-2004, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by jason_j_a
Greg,

Can you provide a brief overview of the 8300DVR? I'm a current DirecTivo user on DirecTV (gasp!). I currently have BHN for RoadRunner and was considering switching back to BHN to save some money on the combo and because I recently got a HDTV. I really love the Tivo and can't do without a DVR so I'm curious if you could give some details on the pros and cons of the 8300 vs the HD DirecTivo. Obviously upfront costs of the HD Tivo are huge so I'm tempted to hold off until the 8300DVR is released.

Search at Yahoo or Google for 'Explorer 8300'. You will find a link to a pdf from Scientific Atlanta with the capabilities.

I hope BHN gets the Multi-Room Version.

Michael

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
SA 8300HD DVR
Samsung HD DVR
post #738 of 18939 Old 11-05-2004, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
I found that pdf and looked at it. WOW! Can't wait 'till those things come out.......Jim
post #739 of 18939 Old 11-05-2004, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This pdf is generic covering all possible options. We will see on the BHN tour which options are going to be available for Central Florida.

sa8300dvr.pdf 165.6611328125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sa8300dvr.pdf (165.7 KB, 0 views)

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #740 of 18939 Old 11-05-2004, 11:30 AM

Greg,

Any update on when we might be seeing any more of the HD premium movie channels?

Michael

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
SA 8300HD DVR
Samsung HD DVR
post #741 of 18939 Old 11-07-2004, 04:55 AM

Couple points:

1) 8300 multi-room is still sort of "vapor-ware" at this point. It will happen, but not soon.

2) Channel additions -- we keep working on more, but some things are beyond our control, or stuck in contractual issues. It's always hard to tell when they'll break loose. When ESPN finally happened, I had no indication it was imminent until I suddenly got an email saying it was clear to launch.

Greg
post #742 of 18939 Old 11-07-2004, 05:50 PM

Will the 8300 have the IEEE 1394 output enabled?
post #743 of 18939 Old 11-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Liked: 13
Kudos to BHN for the new OnDemand channels. I love being able to watch Top Cat and Hong Kong Phooey!!! (among others... )
post #744 of 18939 Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
The SA8000HD was delivered in the 3rd quarter and rejected by BHN. THe new model is the SA8300HD currently in beta test. You can see the SA8300HD at the CFHDS tour on Nov. 13th.

Yah, I thought that might happen with the SA8000HD because a lady at the Altamonte office said that the "employee testers" were having numerous problems with recording with HD and such.

Hopefully the SA8300HD will be approved by BHN since the technology hopefully is much improved over the previous SA8000HD.

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #745 of 18939 Old 11-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maya68
Kudos to BHN for the new OnDemand channels. I love being able to watch Top Cat and Hong Kong Phooey!!! (among others... )

I have been trying to use the new on demand channels for a couple of weeks now. Everytime I try it it just give me the message to wait while the program is downloading but even if I wait 1/2 hour it never completes. Any one else having this problem?
post #746 of 18939 Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 PM

Liked: 11
Ive had a problem with the TechTV/Screensaver shows, they load but it ALWAYS freezes about a minute into the show. I just haven't gotten a chance to call and ask. Maybe someone here can advise......Jim
post #747 of 18939 Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 PM

FYI

WFTV will NOT air the broadcast of Saving Private Ryan tomorrow. Just incase anyone is looking for it tomorrow night.

Little snippet from this link

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=74144

Big stations, like WOI in Des Moines, WSB in Atlanta, WISN in Milwaukee, and WFTV in Orlando confirm that they are pulling "Saving Private Ryan" along with many smaller market stations.
post #748 of 18939 Old 11-11-2004, 04:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by property33
Ive had a problem with the TechTV/Screensaver shows, they load but it ALWAYS freezes about a minute into the show. I just haven't gotten a chance to call and ask. Maybe someone here can advise......Jim

I have been able to watch every channel but I did have a problem with the SA3250(?). I exchanged it for the Pace and have had no problems since then. It only takes a few seconds for the programs to load.
post #749 of 18939 Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 PM

Liked: 12
I was watching INHD2 and after the 3:00pm program, the INHD2 commercials(?) came on and the sound was at least 50% louder than the program. I've noticed this before but this was the first time it happened when I was on the computer.

It only occurs on the INHD channels. Anyone else have this problem?
post #750 of 18939 Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM

Did anyone notice that there is a TV Guide logo on the EPG next to the BHN logo is this a sign of things to come.

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page