Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Orlando, FL - BHN
aforlano's Avatar aforlano 07:10 AM 12-05-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Doctor52
(This is mainly a "cable modem" question, but it is signal strength related)

I would just like to know if any of you with 'cable modems' have had significant down time with your internet service in the past few weeks. It seems that my modem will not synchronize with the cable network about 60% of the time. (Luckily, I pay 20 bucks a month for a dial-up service as back up.)

Also, my analog cable channels occasionally get fuzzy. (and it seems to overlap with down internet service)

I'm just trying to figure out if our local cable service has an intermittent signal strength problem, or if this is an internet service only problem.

Please reply ONLY if you also have had your Brighthouse internet service down more than 50% of the time for the past few weeks. If no one replies, I'll know it's a local signal strength issue.

**NOTE** It appears the server doesn't like the words 'c able m odem' or 'c able s ervice' for some reason....

Doctor,

Based on your description, it appears you have an issue at the local level, perhaps from your post outside to your house. When your analog channels become 'fuzzy' or you get 'interference', it's usually the sign of a weak signal level. Most common cause is a failure in a connection or a cable. With all the, uh, "rain" we had this summer, it's possible that your cable run to the tap outside your house became water damaged. I had the same issues about 6 months ago. Brighthouse replaced the run from the post to my tap, and everything snapped back into proper function.

You should call Brighthouse and schedule an appointment for a tech to come out and check then run and replace that run if necessary. If the problem persists, then they will check the neighborhood feeder hub, and so forth.

Service calls are free (as long as you don't make too many of them...), so use their service. If you have a problem with a tech, speak to a supervisor and ask for a Master Service tech. Be sure to give them DETAILED and SPECIFIC descriptions of your issues, especially if they are intermittant and not easily repeatable.

Just my $.02 worth...

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition

LouK's Avatar LouK 02:32 PM 12-05-2004
What's with WOFL today. I thought it was HD Digital dropouts, but I switched to analogue (cable channel 3) and saw the same thing there. It made the football games unwatchable. Anyone else have the same problem>
property33's Avatar property33 02:38 PM 12-05-2004
Agree. Was really getting into BUCS etc. on Fox and CBS but the dropouts made it unwatchable. Analog was snowy. Jim
obie_fl's Avatar obie_fl 06:13 PM 12-05-2004
I'll third the Fox Football breakups, also verified OTA was doing it too.
PeterShipp's Avatar PeterShipp 06:46 PM 12-05-2004
I watched most of The Last Samurai on HBO HD on DirecTV and don't recall seeing those audio or video dropouts. Sounds like it's a BH problem.
Barry928's Avatar Barry928 07:23 PM 12-05-2004
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback.
That is one suspect eliminated. It is not HBO's fault.
Doctor52's Avatar Doctor52 07:40 PM 12-05-2004
It happened on cable too, so it must have been a network issue.
Barry928's Avatar Barry928 07:50 PM 12-05-2004
Peter is saying that HBO did not glitch on DirecTV.
dgmayor's Avatar dgmayor 06:19 AM 12-06-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Doctor52
(This is mainly a cable modem question, but it is signal strength related)

I would just like to know if any of you with cable modems have had significant down time with your internet service in the past few weeks. It seems that my modem will not synchronize with the cable network about 60% of the time. (Luckily, I pay 20 bucks a month for a dial-up service as back up.)

Also, my analog cable channels occasionally get fuzzy. (and it seems to overlap with down internet service)

I'm just trying to figure out if our local cable service has an intermittent signal strength problem, or if this is an internet service only problem.

Please reply ONLY if you also have had your Brighthouse internet service down more than 50% of the time for the past few weeks. If no one replies, I'll know it's a local signal strength issue.

I had this same problem about a month after the hurricanes. The night the BHN guy showed up, all he told me was they fixed it, but didn't exactly say what it was. However, the past month or so my internet speed has been horrible. Downloads that normally would take 2 minutes take almost 20, web pages take forever to load...it's gotten to the point where I don't even go near my computer when I get home. I keep meaning to call BHN but well, I've had absolutely no luck with BHN's cable modem in the apt complex I'm in (had similar issues in another building there a few years ago. Hoped it was fixed by now..).
DravenGSX's Avatar DravenGSX 02:57 PM 12-06-2004
The Fox HD broadcast this weekend was terrible. It has happened a couple of times this year and the feed is fine on the SD channels. Very annoying.

dgmayor: I had a similar problem after the hurricanes. After a few hours of troubleshooting over the phone, I convinced them to send a reset command to the modem and it has worked perfectly since then. You may want to try un-plugging the modem, turning the computer off, plug modem back in then turn computer on before waiting in the queue on the phone though.

Oh.. and I'm game for doing a glitch survey. I'm in Metrowest with a pace box and HBO.
HybridHB's Avatar HybridHB 07:00 PM 12-06-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by DravenGSX
The Fox HD broadcast this weekend was terrible. It has happened a couple of times this year and the feed is fine on the SD channels. Very annoying.

dgmayor: I had a similar problem after the hurricanes. After a few hours of troubleshooting over the phone, I convinced them to send a reset command to the modem and it has worked perfectly since then. You may want to try un-plugging the modem, turning the computer off, plug modem back in then turn computer on before waiting in the queue on the phone though.

Oh.. and I'm game for doing a glitch survey. I'm in Metrowest with a pace box and HBO.

How do you like that pace box? The cable guy dropped off an old SA 3100HD. I heard the pace box is the newest one they have. Ill be trading boxes but i dont have much info on the box. Got a model number?
DravenGSX's Avatar DravenGSX 07:35 PM 12-06-2004
To be honest, I don't know what the model is. Whatever BHN is providing. I have had it for about 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly. The pass-through works well. The zoom/stretch feature works great and the PQ is fantastic. It is much more smooth and seems to run better than the DVR box that's hooked up beneath it. I'm hoping that the 8300HD will be as high quality as the Pace box is.

On another note: Is anybody else watching Las Vegas on WESH HD? If so, have you noticed any glitches? It's been acting like Fox did this weekend.
Question's Avatar Question 07:52 PM 12-06-2004
Quote:

I had the same problem with FoxHD during the Tampa v Atlanta football game. I have never seen it that bad.

I'm on the border of Winter Park and Maitland just off Howell Branch road.
krhyatt's Avatar krhyatt 08:21 PM 12-06-2004
I too have been experiencing issues with my Cable Modem service for the past month...Horrible speeds..
Seems to get a bit better if I reset the Cable Modem and Router, but it is turning out to be a real pain, as others I haven't had a chance to call BHN...

I live in a 2 year old house in West Orange County...

FWIW
HybridHB's Avatar HybridHB 08:32 PM 12-06-2004
Wierd, the last 3 weeks have been really slow for my RR too. I also have problems pulling WBHD on the SA 3100HD.
DravenGSX's Avatar DravenGSX 08:54 PM 12-06-2004
Speedtest from dslreports.com to speakeasy.net test server in CA produced these results:
2004-12-06 22:52:53 EST: 2688 / 348
Your download speed : 2753246 bps, or 2688 kbps.
A 336 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 357222 bps, or 348 kbps.

This is pretty average over here in metrowest.
PerfectCr's Avatar PerfectCr 09:10 PM 12-06-2004
Quote:

Speedtest from dslreports.com to speakeasy.net test server in CA produced these results:
2004-12-06 22:52:53 EST: 2688 / 348
Your download speed : 2753246 bps, or 2688 kbps.
A 336 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 357222 bps, or 348 kbps.

This is pretty average over here in metrowest.

Average? Those speeds are extremely fast for cable. Most DSL lines do not approach this speed for the price we pay for cable. 2.5 Down and 300 up is very good.
HybridHB's Avatar HybridHB 09:36 PM 12-06-2004
I run the speak easy tests as well and score the same. It went from an avg of 355 to 335. I run tests weekly and in the last month the speeds have dropped. I use the miami server.

mia.speakeasy.net
DravenGSX's Avatar DravenGSX 09:40 PM 12-06-2004
That's average for late evening. It's a bit slower at dinner time, but it's really not even noticable. I've seen numbers similar to those everytime I've run a report from dslreports.com.

I've seen better numbers from cable than any dsl I've had.. both from Brighthouse and Cox when I was in VA.

Hybrid: I think it would definitely be worth a call. Is it consistently slower all of the time? Perhaps a neighbor is using up a ton of bandwidth?
dgmayor's Avatar dgmayor 06:20 AM 12-07-2004
Quote:

Oh trust me, I do that much more often than necessary ><. Few times a week easily. Ironically, after my post yesterday, I went home and it was ALMOST normal last night. I swear they're just toying with me now
sam0u8's Avatar sam0u8 10:01 AM 12-08-2004
Has anyone heard whether or not ESPN2-HD will be added to Brighthouse when it goes live in January?
thericky's Avatar thericky 01:17 PM 12-08-2004
I would be willing to help out with a glitch report on some other channels... I don't pay for any premium channels. I certainly get plenty of glitches on Discovery HD Theater and several of the major network stations. Pick a major network show or a Discovery HD show and I'll be in.
Barry928's Avatar Barry928 01:28 PM 12-08-2004
Ricky,

Thanks for your support on the glitch survey. I have no problem testing a network channel if it increases the sample size. We could even get the off air guys involved for a comparison.
HybridHB's Avatar HybridHB 08:28 PM 12-08-2004
Quote:

That's average for late evening. It's a bit slower at dinner time, but it's really not even noticable. I've seen numbers similar to those everytime I've run a report from dslreports.com.

I've seen better numbers from cable than any dsl I've had.. both from Brighthouse and Cox when I was in VA.

Hybrid: I think it would definitely be worth a call. Is it consistently slower all of the time? Perhaps a neighbor is using up a ton of bandwidth?

Yup, like i said before i run speed tests weekly and know what it should be around. 335 isnt noticably slower but it certainly does not look good trend wise. I live out in the boonies so theres not many cable internet users here. Only one person besides me has cable inet in my neighborhood, and hes an old guy so i doubt hes doing anything bandwidth intensive. Ping times have risen as well, they used to be in the 35ms range, but now is in the 51ms range. At times i cant even use the internet. Power cycling the modem and router rarely helps. Overall the speed has decreased slightly but nothing for me to call in about.

As for the glitch survey, i cant get WB HD at night, when i do it gets blocky every few seconds and audio skips. Thats the only channels have probs with though. It could be the SA 3100HD. Im going to get the new pace boxes on friday and try those out.
aforlano's Avatar aforlano 05:49 AM 12-10-2004
Hey Greg....

"Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the waaaaaayyy!!!"

It's almost Christmas....are we gonna get a present from 'Santa'???

Any status on the HD-PVR?

Regards,

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
Gilley's Avatar Gilley 09:25 AM 12-10-2004
What's the "life expectancy" for the DVR hard drives? I just swapped out my second DVR cable box in a year. Could the failure be partially related to the old software that kept the hard drive spinning all the time?

I hope the HD DVR will last longer. I hate losing my stored programs.
PerfectCr's Avatar PerfectCr 09:59 AM 12-10-2004
Does the SA8300HD have pass through connections like the Pace 550 does? I use these and I'd have to lose that when upgrading to this box.

EDIT: Okay I just check the SA site and got a user guide. It DOES NOT have pass through With that said, can someone suggest a "extender" or a hub that I can connect multiple digital audio sources to (optical, coax, or both) because my receiver only has one of each. I will need some sort of way to plug these multiple sources into my receiver once I get the SA8300HD box since it does not have pass through. THANKS!
RudyT's Avatar RudyT 07:14 PM 12-10-2004
I use this to switch YPrPb and digital audio.

http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm

key digital makes a product
GEFEN makes DVI/audio switchers

if you just want digital audio go to Radio Shack
Barry928's Avatar Barry928 11:41 PM 12-10-2004
I never asked if the 8300 has pass through. I am still hopeful since the SA website is referencing SARA software instead of PASSPORT.
Barry928's Avatar Barry928 11:50 PM 12-10-2004
I just went to the SA8300HD web page and read this quote which is not specific but mentions a pass through mode.

Why are all of my programs displayed in 1080i format?
You may have selected the Easy Setup mode and the Widescreen (16:9) TV setting in the HDTV Setup Wizard. Choosing these two settings together limits your programming to 1080i format, even on non-HD channels. To see your non-HD programs in 480i on a widescreen HDTV, used the Advanced Setup in the HDTV Setup Wizard. Make sure you select 480i as one of your saved formats, and then select Pass-Through in General Settings: Picture Format for your default picture format.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/con...xes/8300hd.htm
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop