Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #61 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One good thing about having a DISH 921 is that you become accustomed to reboots . Don't all consumer AV products die daily??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Mike I
"Any one who has the new BHN pace box, does the box convert any of the standard channels 720p or 1080 or do you have to use the regular video outputs to get the standard channels.."

If the box you're referring to is the Pace DC-550, I have it with Comcast. I set the box to display 720p (native to my Samsung DLP TV) at 16:9 aspect ratio. The Pace box is connected to my TV by DVI. Standard television looks very good (as good as can be expected), especially on the higher digital channels. SD comes through the DVI input. There are black bars on the left and right side of the picture, but they don't trouble me. I prefer that to zooming the picture or stretching it. You do not need to use the component video outputs to get SD - mine are not hooked up to anything.

I'm only using the DVI output, the digital optical output to my receiver, and the analog audio outputs to my TV for TV sound with the receiver off.

I tried to post a link to the Pace DC-500 user manual, but am not allowed to post links, apparently. It's available on the Internet and quite helpful.
post #63 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Riley, that answers my question
post #64 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 03:08 PM

Help!

I just had BHN installed last week, and everything was fine until today. I am getting no digital channels, just the channel banners etc. Blank screen otherwise. I've double-checked the cable from the wall and the component cables to the television, none of which has been changed recently.

Note that I don't think the following is relevant, but I'm including it anyway.

I got a standalone TiVo today, and am in the process of setting it up. I had it connected from the composite video/audio outs on the Pace box, running to the television via S-video. I just now noticed that I was getting no cable on either input (Component 1, which is directly from the cable box, or Video 1, which is S-video going through the TiVo).

I disconnected the TiVo from the television entirely, just to be sure. Still no signal on any channel over the 70s. Is there an outage or something? Any suggestions as to what is going on here?

The cable box is turned on. I can get channel banners, guide, etc. Just no actual television.

EDIT: Fixed now, but leaving this here for posterity. Doing a full reboot on the cable box seems to have done the trick.
post #65 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 04:13 PM

Gregg: I found your comments regarding analog channels to be most interesting. I have experienced what I would consider to be a poor signal for many months. I have called and talked to two different CSRs only to have them tell me that this is normal and BHN could do nothing about it. So, I have installed DIRECTV and find the picture quality to be much better for those channels duplicated by the two. I have kept BHN due to HD locals and the tier for INHD.

Unfortunately, my analog channels from BHN are really poor.
post #66 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike I
Any one who has the new BHN pace box, does the box convert any of the standard channels 720p or 1080 or do you have to use the regular video outputs to get the standard channels..

Just to add what has been said already, I have had the Pace 550 form BHN now for about two months. I have it set on PASSTHROUGH. As I have a switcher card (with line doubler) installed I find that the card dose a better job than the Pace does in that department. I had Barry ISF the units last week and the pictures are stunning. Even with the noise, etc of the analogue channels its not to bad.

I believe that you will find that your internal switcher to be a better chose than the Pace's internal switcher. However, what ever way you do it, you will not have to switch from S-Video to DVI input. You just have to use the DVI input (or the component if that's the way your connected up, and yes it does have a complete set of output connections) which will display any signal thrown at it from BHN (48oi, 480p, 760p, 1180i). Does that make it any clearer?

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #67 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 07:15 PM

I had a minor issue with my analog channels when I first switched to TWC in '01. After going through my entire house myself, and redoing/remaking all connections, I saw a minor, but not really noticeable, improvement. I called about the signal, as well as my cable modem periodically dropping off.

A tech came out and insisted it was my house wiring. I showed him the setup (RG6 quad shield throughout, from my prior Dish Network install) and he quickly decided otherwise. We replaced the cable outside from the connection block to my house, roughly 80 ft, with RG-11 (about as big as my thumb). Signal in the house came up 5db, and my analog channels probably fall into the "as good as it gets" category. I am entirely satisfied with the picture. It far exceeds what I had with Dish Locals.

I do wonder if it's getting to be time for BHN to go all-digital, though. I can only imagine what that would cost them.

Todd
post #68 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Have anyone compared the SD picture between D* and BHN?

DirecTV is superior, hands down. I just switched from DTV to BHN last week, and I'm finding the under-80 channels (especially channels we watch a lot like Comedy Central, SciFi, FX) to be nearly unwatchable due to the snowiness.

When I run the cable directly from the wall to my Zenith telvision (i.e., bypassing the Pace box entirely), the SD channels look significantly better but still snowy.
post #69 of 18940 Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM

I think I've made a terrible mistake...my PM inbox is overflowing...no offense to Bdenman or Riley100, but my offer is for Central Florida only :-). (My inbox isn't big enough to handle the rest of the Atlantic seaboard).

Just to clarify -- our implementation runs Pioneer Passport software. The box has a DVI output, but just like South Carolina, its not active because they're "working on it". I could pass to you the date they expect to have a fix, but I never believe their ETA's, so why should you?

The box will not have 1394 outputs. But the two tuners work, as does picture in picture.

Ddeloach: If you PM me with your account information, I'll see about getting a tech out to your place to look at your analog -- that is if your PM can get into my inbox amid all these HD-DVR requests :-)

Greg
post #70 of 18940 Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe that you will find that your internal switcher to be a better chose than the Pace's internal switcher. However, what ever way you do it, you will not have to switch from S-Video to DVI input. You just have to use the DVI input (or the component if that's the way your connected up, and yes it does have a complete set of output connections) which will display any signal thrown at it from BHN (48oi, 480p, 760p, 1180i). Does that make it any clearer?

Thanks very much, That answers my question

post #71 of 18940 Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 AM

This just in...

ADDITIONAL MASTERS GOLF COVERAGE IN HIGH DEFINITION

We will be providing WKMG's Thursday, April 8 & Friday, April 9 (4:00 to 6:30 p.m.) coverage of The Masters Golf Championship matches in High Definition format for our HD customers on Channel 1061.

Please note:

1. The programming on this channel during hours other than 4 to 6:30 will be in Standard Definition.
2. The Saturday and Sunday High Definition Masters coverage will be featured on Channel 1060 (WKMG's normal feed).

It will also be on INHD.

I'm pulling for John Daly -- just because I want Hootie Johnson to have a last minute panic looking for that much green cloth for the jacket :-)

Greg
post #72 of 18940 Old 04-08-2004, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

So if I understand this properly the broadcast on 1060 will be a mirror image of what is on channel 5 and hence 1061 is a multicast. I am very happy that they are doing this, but I also see an opportunity

If you are home - can't you compare the 1061 picture with the inhd picture - it should be the same feed transmitted to each station and if there is multicasting going on then you should be able to compare the effect it has on golf.......right????

Not home so can't do this
post #73 of 18940 Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Yes, you should be able to do that. There are a couple potential flaws with that however...

1. It's golf, not basketball. I don't think (and I emphasize "think") that the bandwidth requirements for a slow moving image are nearly as demanding as basketball.

2. We're assuming the uplink from the production truck and the downlink to the station have unlimited bandwidth. If the additional programming running on 1060 is coming over the same sat feed to the station (a possibility, but not necessarily), then they may be, in effect, multicasting over the distribution link. In that case the feed to both INHD and WKMG feed might be constrained before it ever leaves either provider. It's a long supply chain with many potential chokepoints.

Maybe somebody here has more insight into either of these.

Greg
post #74 of 18940 Old 04-08-2004, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's golf, not basketball. I don't think (and I emphasize "think") that the bandwidth requirements for a slow moving image are nearly as demanding as basketball.

Yep - thought of that and hope that maybe when they tee off some "faster movements" can let us see a difference - well actually I hope there is no difference and that they are both awsome

One other thing that can be done is to compare the Thursday and Friday broadcast on 1061 to the broadcast on Saturday at 1060 since I am guessing (purely guessing) that multicasting at 1060 takes more data than what is normally multicasted by WKMG - or am I wrong on this one?

Was anyone home watching??? Thinking my boss won't let me take off tomorrow just for this reason......
post #75 of 18940 Old 04-09-2004, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gmclaughlin

The box will not have 1394 outputs. But the two tuners work, as does picture in picture.

Greg,
So there is no way to save programs from the DVR to tape for archiving?
Too bad.
Rick
post #76 of 18940 Old 04-09-2004, 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Yep - thought of that and hope that maybe when they tee off some "faster movements" can let us see a difference - well actually I hope there is no difference and that they are both awsome

One other thing that can be done is to compare the Thursday and Friday broadcast on 1061 to the broadcast on Saturday at 1060 since I am guessing (purely guessing) that multicasting at 1060 takes more data than what is normally multicasted by WKMG - or am I wrong on this one?

Was anyone home watching??? Thinking my boss won't let me take off tomorrow just for this reason......

YEP I was, DirecTV broadcast it on CH.84, USA has it on their SD Channel and 6.1 had it in HD as well.

I compared all the "important" feeds (6.1 and 84) and I can honestly say that it was nearly identical. Without the advent of 2 identical Tv's on different channels, the switch from 84 (SAT) to 6.1 (OTA) takes a second or so on my Sony HD200 so my eyes can't paint a constant picture.

Either way, I found some macro blocking on each feed (very very minimal) and only on some very specific scenes like in the air ball tracking, again it was very minimal.

The picture on this event was by far the best I've seen since I went HD last year, I'd swear that I was right there on # 13, I was even able to tell how Tiger marks his balls!

The only annoying issue was a lens being used from a Tv tower to the tee box on one of the Par 3's where the outside portion of the lens was blurred from the center, this was very obvious as a caddie in the same frame as a player was blurred and the player was not. I may attribute this to the rain they had and an unclean lens or the focal point of the lens when zoomed was not uniform and caused this effect.

In all, IT ROCKED!
post #77 of 18940 Old 04-09-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks lombana - due to the rain delay I could do the same comparison on BHN last night right around 6pm.

I did a blind test by going to both channels and then hitting last channel a couple of times without looking - then I went to the other one and compared. I ended up thinking inhd's broadcast was better - not much, but slightly - as stated not a lot of fast moving content. Either way both were excellent - thanks BHN for working with WKMG - if that is what we got out of the B-Ball then that is great that the lines of communications are open.
post #78 of 18940 Old 04-09-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Thanks lombana - due to the rain delay I could do the same comparison on BHN last night right around 6pm.

I did a blind test by going to both channels and then hitting last channel a couple of times without looking - then I went to the other one and compared. I ended up thinking inhd's broadcast was better - not much, but slightly - as stated not a lot of fast moving content. Either way both were excellent - thanks BHN for working with WKMG - if that is what we got out of the B-Ball then that is great that the lines of communications are open.

Interesting update, I've been comparing the coverage since 4pm when it came back live and have noticed that there is a slight difference with the DirecTv feed on 84 over the KMG feed on 6.2.

It does appear that the SD/HD bandwidth mix on KMG is cutting into their picture properties as I've noticed more macroblocking there than on 84 (which I assume is either the direct feed from USA or the INHD feed).

One more observation is that they continue to use SD cameras for HD coverage, I'm not sure how a producer can't notice this when they cut between shots? I know this isn't the place to get an authoratative answer on this particular subject however it is interesting how they can sit in a trailer with HD plasma monitors in front of them and call cue's to cameras and not see a difference or care.

Miguel
post #79 of 18940 Old 04-11-2004, 10:44 AM

I've been having a problem with digital channels from Brighthouse over the last couple of days. All the analog channels (to 98) are "fine"....but about half the digital channels (SD or HD) have severe "macro-blocking" and extreme "digital noise" and, some, in fact, are completely dead. But some of the digital channels seem to be perfect (SD or HD).

This has only started happening in the last few (3-5) days, and seems to be worse in the daytime hours....later evening, things seem to be much better. It's like I have a bandwidth problem.

BTW...I have a Pace 550 box....problems exists on DVI, component, and S-video outputs. I've re-booted the box to no avail.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
post #80 of 18940 Old 04-11-2004, 10:46 AM

1:40 pm local time here in orlando -- cbs (wkmg) broadcast of the Masters still not HD via BHN! bummer. I guess the control room is on skeleton crew becuse of Easter. ...... oh, looks like someone's trying to do something -- just had some color test pattern come up momentarily ... then back to SD. maybe they only have the interns working today?...
post #81 of 18940 Old 04-11-2004, 11:52 AM

well, looks like it took 'em til 2:15 to figure it out. we are now HD on wkmg via BHN. PQ seems to be about the same as saturday's telecast -- nothing to write home about, but perhaps a little too much "softness" than I would like.
post #82 of 18940 Old 04-11-2004, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more observation is that they continue to use SD cameras for HD coverage, I'm not sure how a producer can't notice this when they cut between shots? I know this isn't the place to get an authoratative answer on this particular subject however it is interesting how they can sit in a trailer with HD plasma monitors in front of them and call cue's to cameras and not see a difference or care.

Well you will only get one production and it will have both HD and SD cut in. I don't remember the numbers of cameras, but it mostly HD - surprisingly many - handheld cams are SD. However, the golf thread on the main-forum also made it clear that CBS will be using 16X9 SD cameras, so at least they aren't stretched
post #83 of 18940 Old 04-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RogRacer
I've been having a problem with digital channels from Brighthouse over the last couple of days. All the analog channels (to 98) are "fine"....but about half the digital channels (SD or HD) have severe "macro-blocking" and extreme "digital noise" and, some, in fact, are completely dead. But some of the digital channels seem to be perfect (SD or HD).

This has only started happening in the last few (3-5) days, and seems to be worse in the daytime hours....later evening, things seem to be much better. It's like I have a bandwidth problem.

BTW...I have a Pace 550 box....problems exists on DVI, component, and S-video outputs. I've re-booted the box to no avail.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I had a similar problem when i was running both BHN and DirecTV last year before I dropped BHN. The issue was a signal level issue due to my inhome distribution point in the master bedroom closet.

The techs came out several times, including one gal that was 3 days on the job who refused to get someone with a clue to my home after parking in my driveway on the phone for over an hour. I finally used her test equipment to measure the signal at the drop, at the entrance to my distribution panel, at the output of the panel and at the TV.

Final result, the amount of loss due to the 6 way split at the house panel was killing me, we removed the run to the living room from the panel and wired it directly with a 3db splitter (one side feeding analog to the house / the other feeding the direct line to the BHN box) and the signal was solid after that.

Oh, there was a problem as well with the boxes, I belive that it took 4 boxes and 3 techs to finally get that one fixed. My digital channels were the ones impacted the most, I recall that I couldn't even watch TECH Tv, I was just not there.
post #84 of 18940 Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 AM

RogRacer,

It definitely sounds like a signal level problem. Call BHN and have someone come out and service it.

Greg
post #85 of 18940 Old 04-12-2004, 07:03 AM

Thanks Greg...I'll do that. Strange that it just started happening, though, after a few months of good performance. Also....in the evening, say after 8 pm or so...I get near-perfect reception. It's almost like a distribution point or amplifier comes on-line in the evening. But I'll call. Thanks.
post #86 of 18940 Old 04-12-2004, 12:15 PM

Does anyone know what Adelphia's HD package entails? How many local channels it comes with? I live over by UCF and have Adelphia for my home (homeowners association decision, not mine) and am just wondering if Adelphia's is okay or I should I just install an antenna and OTA receiver?

Thanks.
post #87 of 18940 Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I rather help a local get HDTV Cheaply, and help him with the set-up. It can be a pain the first time.

Since I moved to Orlando, I use and like BHN. So... I have no need for my OTA HD reciever (Toshiba/DTV w/Antenna) and tired of looking at it.
Willing to sell for 1/2 the cost I paid for it (less then 1 year old).

I am located near UCF. You can email me at Luke(at)mail.ucf.edu

Thanks
post #88 of 18940 Old 04-12-2004, 01:55 PM

YGM

Thank you.
post #89 of 18940 Old 04-13-2004, 06:53 AM

I am about to get that new Pace Box from BH ..

any place in Orlando to purchase a DVI cable at a reasonable price ???
post #90 of 18940 Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 AM

Just picked up a DVI cable last night...looked at best buy and radio shack...both only carried the same Moster Cable version for $99...way more than I wanted to spend, but had to try it.

I too recently received the Pace box and just got my new Toshiba Cinema Series 57 inch delivered yesterday so couldn't wait to hook up the DVI and see the HD channels get even better, but I was disappointed with the results...switching back and forth from the component video input and the DVI input on the same HD channel resulted in little to no improvements in quality...is this possible??? Is it possible there is a setting I need to turn on in the tv or pace box or something??? If this is as good as DVI gets on a new projection set, I think I'll have to return the cable, because can't see spending $100 for nothing?!?!?!

Any thoughts?

PS
For those considering the DVI upgrade being offered by Toshiba...that purchase I'm happy with, the new 'Cinema Series' did seem to have an improved picture from the old 57H82 and the cabinet is much more sleeker looking.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page