30Likes

post #1081 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GoBig
Quote:
Also I went into the diagnostic screen(Hold input Exit) DIAG will appear. Then go to Channel 611. Under one of the menus you can see how much of the 160GB harddrive you have available. I also noticed that as far as the firmware is concerned the 1394 port is enabled but I could not find the 1394 port on mine so that does little good.

The connecting guide shows the 1394 ports next to the power plug on the back (I am not home to verify this). For the Diag to appear, do you mean hold the exit button?
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twartacus
Perhaps there will be a software update or something in the future... but in the meantime, I will simply watch non-HD shows on non-HD channels.

Try running a S-video cable from the 8300 to a separate input on your set. The S-video should be fulltime 480 downconverted video.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #1083 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The connecting guide shows the 1394 ports next to the power plug on the back (I am not home to verify this). For the Diag to appear, do you mean hold the exit button?

Meant to say Enter and Exit, sorry for the confussion. Atleast I thought thats what was used maybe it is just exit and enter does not matter. I will have to look again for the 1394 port when I get home, I did not look to hard last night. I am most excited about adding an aditional Hard Drive.
post #1084 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 10:44 AM

I've asked this before, but nobody replied, so I will ask again.

Has anyone gotten the box who was not on Greg's list?

If so, how long ago did you sign up on the website?

Thanks,

-Tony
post #1085 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM

i was not on the list and i signed up on the web site within a couple days of the registration opening. and i have nothing so far :\\

Ricky Brigante
Inside the Magic podcast, Host
Custom Lanyards by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #1086 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thericky
i was not on the list and i signed up on the web site within a couple days of the registration opening. and i have nothing so far :\\

How long ago was that?

Thanks,

-Tony
post #1087 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 11:24 AM

a month to the day, i believe

Ricky Brigante
Inside the Magic podcast, Host
Custom Lanyards by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #1088 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 PM

I got mine this morning. It was the installer's first install of the HD DVR. Although he didn't know much about the unit (he didn't know there was an HDMI port), the install went pretty smoothly. After he left, I fiddled with the settings a little to get the aspect ratio and resolutions correct for my Sammy DLP. The SD does look to be a little grainier, so I might try the S video cable and see if that helps. Otherwise the HD looks as good as my old SA8300 HD. I did notice that the Sammy internal scaler gives a better picture than the box's scaler.

I'm going to mess with the enter/exit menu and see what that does.

I'm all excited to be able to record HD shows now.
post #1089 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I believe that there is no 1394 port on my SA8300. I specifically looked b/c my Hitachi has two of them.
post #1090 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed the 8300 today at 1pm. My installer had never seen a 8300 before and did not understand the use of DVI or HDMI for a video path. He insisted on doing the install but finally realized my setup was way over his head and his RG6 coax idea was not going to work. After I hooked up all the cables the installer called in the authorization and I fired up the projector and nothing! Just black screen. So I switched from DVI to component and the dreaded HDCP warning message is all I get. After many reboots, the last one with the DVI unplugged did the trick and I had video and audio. I sent the installer away (his first time ever to see HD) and started clicking through channels to see the projector switch between 1080i and 720p. I plugged the HDMI back in and this time it worked but when I landed on a 480i channel BOOM! back to black and the HDCP warning on component again.

If you once get the warning screen you can unplug the HDMI port and again see video on component but if you plug HDMI back in the box goes back to the warning screen. I had to hard reboot again with the HDMI unplugged then go to a HD channel then plug the HDMI cable back in to see video again. After much investigation I found out why this happens. It seems that the DVI digital standard does not support 480i but the HDMI standard does support 480i. When my projector shook hands with the 8300 it downloaded the projectors EDID and turned on all 4 scan rates in the "More Settings" menu mentioned earlier in the thread. Once I got the 8300 reprogrammed not to allow 480i then everything started to work. The problem is you need to reboot the box with HDMI unplugged so you can access the menu to shut off 480i BEFORE plugging in the HDMI connection because the the 8300 comes up on a 480i channel as the default and kills the video due to HDCP. This scenario is only possible for people who are converting HDMI to DVI. The HDMI to HDMI connection does not have this problem.

post #1091 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Random thoughts,
I know from research and others on this board that BHN leads the nation in number of HD channels. I was wondering if anyone from BHN could provide a 'guesstimate' of when the majority of channels will be in HD. I'm hopefully guessing late 2006 or sometime in 2007.

Very pleased with the picture, especially HD channels, may try the S-Video for the SD channels to see if that clears up the occasional graininess.

I've noticed if I'm flipping through channells @ a good rate in the HD range, picture/sound start to brake up then blank out. Shutting the box on & back on clears this up.

I'm anxious on hearing if anyone has connected an extra HD. I've got 2 Seagate 160GB Serial ATA's I've recently pulled out of my computer for an upgrade to same. Got these sitting around-need to buy a 'box' for one of them to hook up to the 8300. Anyone know what brand/where regarding an enclosure that will keep the S ATA connection externally?

Jim
post #1092 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
.....I fired up the projector and nothing! Just black screen. So I switched from DVI to component and the dreaded HDCP warning message is all I get. After many reboots, the last one with the DVI unplugged did the trick and I had video and audio. ........ I plugged the HDMI back in and this time it worked but when I landed on a 480i channel BOOM! back to black and the HDCP warning on component again.

If you once get the warning screen you can unplug the HDMI port and again see video on component but if you plug HDMI back in the box goes back to the warning screen.The problem is you need to reboot the box with HDMI unplugged so you can access the menu to shut off 480i BEFORE plugging in the HDMI connection because the the 8300 comes up on a 480i channel as the default and kills the video due to HDCP. This scenario is only possible for people who are converting HDMI to DVI. The HDMI to HDMI connection does not have this problem.

Barry,
I guess I solved this issue by accident, which inadvertantly included some of what you did. We initially hooked up using HDMItoDVI adapter to our Sony XBR 910, black screen/no sound. Turned off 8300 and TV, turned on 8300 then TV, got the 'Your HDTV does not support HDCP [it does, I know this] please use YPrPb'. We hooked that up after unhooking the HDMI/DVI from the 8300, got what's a great picture. After the guy left, I shut everything off then hooked the adapter back up to the 8300 & turned everything back on. Got a picture on the HDMI/DVI feed. Another accidental find was I can use the YPrPb feed for what had been grainy video on some HD channels, use the HDMItoDVI feed for all the others. Luckily the Sony XBR 910 has more then enough feeds to easily switch between the 2 feeds from the 8300 and the other stuff I've got hooked up to it. Only differnece from my experience to yours is I don't get a repeat of the error message going to a 480 channel, everything switches around on it's own automatically-another accident form changing stuff around I guess.
post #1093 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Try running a S-video cable from the 8300 to a separate input on your set. The S-video should be fulltime 480 downconverted video.

It is. I run S-Video to a 2nd TV in my office, and the S-Video is 480i, which, btw, looks great.

I've been busy taking care of customer swaps these past few days, and here's what I've found in the field:

1) NOBODY has yet to receive a DVI-HDMI cable or adaptor, despite the original promise from BHN.
2) Installer quality is VERY mixed, from one who couldn't even exchange a PACE box for the new PVR without screwing up the cables (didn't plug in the Pr cable, connected Digital Coax to the Audio L output...) to very knowlegable and helpful (called ME to ask how I wanted it integrated into a customer's rack).
3) SOUND quality out of this box is much improved, especially for analog channels. There were some issues with older boxes and the audio processing. This box is a vast improvement.
4) VIDEO quality is also much improved, especially with analog channels. Granted, most of this is a result of the feed coming into the house, but in my own experience, I noticed a significant improvement, with the only change being a switch in boxes...

I hope everyone enjoys their new toys.....better late then never. Now we can focus on what new channels we want instead of when we're getting the box.

Just my $.02

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #1094 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I wander if they have the adapters at there office's?
post #1095 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GoBig
Meant to say Enter and Exit, sorry for the confussion. Atleast I thought thats what was used maybe it is just exit and enter does not matter. I will have to look again for the 1394 port when I get home, I did not look to hard last night. I am most excited about adding an aditional Hard Drive.

I just got home and checked for the 1394 ports and they are not there as the connection guid showed, I guess we have a modified 3300HD.
post #1096 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:

I thought for SURE that would work... got home from work... and tried it... and no.

Get this... when watching non HD content on a HD channel... black bars on the sides, and GRAY bars on the top/bottom. Also, the # button now does nothing (when using S-video). I simply will either have to change the settings for only 480 to pass through... or simply only watch hd content on hd channels.

Once again, no big deal. It just seems like this box is more designed for 16:9 sets.

On my TV there is no difference in my stretch options if it's set to 4:3 or 16:9.

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #1097 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I'm getting the box!!!

WOOHOO!!!

I was not on Greg's list, but had signed up on the website two or three weeks ago.

Installation is scheduled for next weekend.

I will be back to let you all know what I think.

Oh man...so much to record.

I think I'll start with some stuff on Fine Living (Simply Wine, Thirsty Traveller), and then some of the concerts on HD. I am so looking forward to it.

Thanks,

-Tony
post #1098 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gimphboi
I'm getting the box!!!

WOOHOO!!!

I was not on Greg's list, but had signed up on the website two or three weeks ago.

Thanks,

-Tony

Wait a sec. I signed up at the beginning of DECEMBER, how are you getting ahead of me on the list?
post #1099 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PerfectCr
Wait a sec. I signed up at the beginning of DECEMBER, how are you getting ahead of me on the list?

I have to double check the date, it could have been a little longer...not 100% sure. I also called a CSR and got added to that list as well. Although from what I understand, both lists were merged.

-Tony
post #1100 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM

OK, I haven't heard it mentioned yet by anyone here with the 8300HD, and mine is not scheduled until Thursday, so I have to ask.

Does the 8300HD with Passport deployed here still have the "kick to live" bug as described elsewhere?

If you're watching a program behind real time, when the program ends (real-time), it would kick you out of your position to live TV.
Or another well-publicized "bug", if when you play from the list, does it play from the beginning or do you have to rewind it to the beginning?

Curious, and hoping the revision of Passport being used here has solved those ills...
post #1101 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM

I'm #44 on Greg's list, but haven't recieved a call yet. I signed up on the BrightHouse website as well to be on the HD-PVR call list.

Hope I get a call soon!
post #1102 of 18996 Old 01-18-2005, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Maxtor is announcing an external hard drive to support the SA8300HD. They also announced a deal to supply TWC with external drives so I am wondering if our our SATA ports are active and if BHN is going to allow us to purchase off the shelf or rent the drives.

Maxtor Quickview

There were quite a few posts in the HD recorders forum and some were saying the 8300 uses a SATA1 connector but the external drives use SATA2. Anyone working with SATA external drives?

post #1103 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 03:17 AM

Quote:

It looks like Maxtor is announcing an external hard drive to support the SA8300HD. They also announced a deal to supply TWC with external drives so I am wondering if our our SATA ports are active and if BHN is going to allow us to purchase off the shelf or rent the drives.

Maxtor Quickview

There were quite a few posts in the HD recorders forum and some were saying the 8300 uses a SATA1 connector but the external drives use SATA2. Anyone working with SATA external drives?

Barry,
At the BHN tour Greg said that he did not want to get into the hard drive renting business because of the rapid technology advances and being stuck with outdated drives.
Rick
post #1104 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by twartacus
I thought for SURE that would work... got home from work... and tried it... and no.

Get this... when watching non HD content on a HD channel... black bars on the sides, and GRAY bars on the top/bottom. Also, the # button now does nothing (when using S-video). I simply will either have to change the settings for only 480 to pass through... or simply only watch hd content on hd channels.

Once again, no big deal. It just seems like this box is more designed for 16:9 sets.

On my TV there is no difference in my stretch options if it's set to 4:3 or 16:9.

What does the "video source" button do for you all? I see that there are two versions of this remote (they both look the same) on the BH website.

(My box treats that button like the # button)

Would be nice if there was a shorter way to change 480/720/1080...

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #1105 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 05:34 AM

#9 (on Greg's list) is now truly alive! I got my box yesterday. The guy that delivered it didn't know anything about it. In fact, he didn't know much. He didn't know what HDMI was. He didn't even know how to change the aspect ratio, etc. I gave him a lesson, both on the box, and on my Mitsubishi widescreen TV.

Currently, I'm running on Component, and I have to say, it looks darn good. I love the crisper menu. I've never had a PVR, and the instruction booklet didn't really explain how to use the interface. Between what I've read on this board, and my fumbling, I've managed to figure out how to operate.

First impressions: I'm quite happy - from the perspective of the box, the interface, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, from not having my wife b--ch at me about when the darn thing will be available!

Cheers.
post #1106 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

It was mentioned that "enter" and "exit" are the keys to hold before going to channel 611 to check disc space. Is this "select" and "exit"? Or something else?

I tried many combos of buttons this AM and finally stumbled into one that allowed me to go to 611, but now I can't remember which ones and get it to work again.

re: disc space...info said 150gig...didn't think these were that big but I guess they are. Had 50 used after two days
post #1107 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 05:48 AM

they are 160gig drives... you have to push exit and select on the front of the STB...and there isn't much you can change...just lots of info.
Good luck...you going to Sour Mashes this weekend?
Later,
Damon
post #1108 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 AM

The 8300 forum mentioned that the connector was slightly differnet then a standard SATA connector, I verified this last night. I am pretty skeptical that you need to buy this specific drive from Maxtor. I would think that most SATA 150 drives would work if you had the right connector. Just another way to limit problems with do it your selfers and to make sure that you only buy a specific drive. But who knows. You can buy a 160GB Maxtor SATA150 drive for $99-$150 right now. I am guessing these boxes will be closer to $300.

Found this story as well:
Maxtor SATA Drives to TWC for DVR 8300
by: ex_sfa 01/06/05 08:24 am
Msg: 34601 of 34641

Maxtor Quickview Expander Now Shipping To Time Warner Cable

Maxtor and Time Warner Cable Deliver External Storage for DVR Set-top Boxes

CES, Las Vegas, NV, January 5, 2005 -- Maxtor Corporation (NYSE: MXO), a worldwide leader in hard disk drives and consumer storage products, announced today that Time Warner Cable has ordered its first shipment of Maxtor® QuickView Expander external hard drives and will begin offering external storage options to its digital video recorders (DVR) subscribers in select locations. The QuickView Expander drive was unveiled in late April 2004 as the industry's first external solution to increase storage capacity for cable DVRs.

The new offering emphasizes Maxtor's commitment to develop and market application-specific storage solutions for a variety of consumer electronic devices. The first version of the Maxtor QuickView Expander drive utilizes an external SATA connector and is designed to work in association with Scientific-Atlanta's Explorer® 8300 series of DVR products. Additional versions of the QuickView Expander will also be offered to work with other DVR set top boxes produced by other manufacturers.

"Maxtor continues to develop and brand distinct consumer storage solutions for the digital entertainment market," said Greg Ireland, senior analyst, IDC. "Securing Time Warner Cable as a customer is an excellent endorsement that reflects DVR growth, increased consumer storage needs, and commitment from both Maxtor and Time Warner to make such a solution available to customers."

"Maxtor is at the forefront of the ever changing digital entertainment landscape," said Mike Cordano, executive vice president of worldwide sales and marketing at Maxtor. "With industry analysts forecasting that over 30 million homes will have DVRs by 2007, and adoption of high definition television on the rise, the demand for additional storage capacity will dramatically increase. With introductions such as the Maxtor QuickView Expander, DVR manufacturers and service providers now have the ideal solution in place to easily extend DVR storage capacity as well as add convenience to the process for their customers."

Maxtor will be present at Storage Visions in Las Vegas, NV, January 4-5, 2005, and CES in Las Vegas, NV, January 6-9, 2005, to show the QuickView Expander drive in addition to several new consumer storage solutions. Come visit us at the Las Vegas Convention Center at N222/221.
post #1109 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 AM

Even Better then Maxtor:

Silicon Image Promotes External SATA for Storage in Consumer Electronics Applications

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Silicon Image, Inc. , a leader in multi-gigabit semiconductor solutions for the secure transmission and storage of rich digital media, today announced at the Consumer Electronics Show the availability of the SteelVineTM storage architecture and a technology demonstration of a plug and play storage device working with Scientific Atlanta's Explorer(R) 8300HD DVR set-top boxes. Devices built utilizing Silicon Image's SteelVine architecture enable consumers to leverage the external Serial ATA standard recently finalized by the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) for simple, reliable, scalable and affordable DVR storage expansion.
"Scientific-Atlanta has worked with Silicon Image to evaluate their new SteelVine technology with our Explorer 8300HD," said Dave Clark, director of product strategy and management for the Home Entertainment Division at Scientific-Atlanta. "When coupled with the Explorer 8300HD, devices utilizing this new solution provide consumers with even more content storage -- up to 225 additional hours of HD video -- while providing on-demand access to this content, anytime."

"The HD DVR customer wants more recording time and the assurance that their content is always available," said Steve Tirado, president of Silicon Image's Storage Division. "Previous storage solutions were limited to a single disk drive, which provides limited recording capacity. Simply adding more unprotected disk drives not only complicates the system but also puts customers at greater risk of disk drive failures. SteelVine provides a truly scalable, reliable storage solution that is both affordable and easy to use."

HD content requires more than six times the hard disk drive capacity of standard definition programming. Other multi-drive solutions are available, but they are expensive and complicated to set-up and use. SteelVine represents an affordable, plug and play storage appliance specifically architected for the living room.

Innovative Storage Architecture

Silicon Image's first system-on-a-chip (SOC) implementation of the SteelVine architecture applies the performance and data reliability benefits of Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) to home storage in a simple, easy-to-use manner. SteelVine requires no special drivers or loading and configuring of software. The interface to a DVR or other source device looks like a single SATA disk drive, even though the power, intelligence and capacity of a full RAID disk array sits behind this powerful chip.

Availability

SteelVine has been implemented in Silicon Image's SV2000 storage appliance supporting up to two terabytes of storage capacity. To purchase the SV2000, please visit http://www.bellmicro.com/ for availability.

http://www.wboc.com/global/story.asp...ientType=Print
post #1110 of 18996 Old 01-19-2005, 06:18 AM

Looks very cool for DVR or just as you file server for home. Up to 2 TB RAID!

And the connector mystery is solved. It is an external SATA connector. Nothing special.

http://www.steelvine.com/docs/FINALSV2000V.11.30.pdf
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page