Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1171 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stopped by the BHN office in Altamonte Springs on Friday to pick up a Pace box that the installer was supposed to bring when he installed the HD DVR (which I LOVE.) The csr said the new replacement for the Pace is the SA 3250, which they just got in on Thursday.

Does anyone have experience with this box? It appears to have similar features as the Pace, such as pass through (not on DVI ) but I was just wondering. I haven't connected it yet to see. I hope it has the ability to continue to see HD programming when viewing the guide (like the new HD DVR) because my old SA 8000 HD could not.

One issue I have with the HD DVR is the HDCP screen of death. I bought an HDMI to DVT connector from BB and connected the HD DVR to my new Vizio P42HD. I got the picture to work once but most of the time it was the "format not supported" screen. Any idea what's going on with that? Could it be the adapter?

It may not be an issue though, because I'm considering a DVD player with DVI out, so I'd end up using component for the HD DVR anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gilley
I stopped by the BHN office in Altamonte Springs on Friday to pick up a Pace box that the installer was supposed to bring when he installed the HD DVR (which I LOVE.) The csr said the new replacement for the Pace is the SA 3250, which they just got in on Thursday.

Does anyone have experience with this box? It appears to have similar features as the Pace, such as pass through (not on DVI ) but I was just wondering. I haven't connected it yet to see. I hope it has the ability to continue to see HD programming when viewing the guide (like the new HD DVR) because my old SA 8000 HD could not.

One issue I have with the HD DVR is the HDCP screen of death. I bought an HDMI to DVT connector from BB and connected the HD DVR to my new Vizio P42HD. I got the picture to work once but most of the time it was the "format not supported" screen. Any idea what's going on with that? Could it be the adapter?

It may not be an issue though, because I'm considering a DVD player with DVI out, so I'd end up using component for the HD DVR anyway.

I have been using them for a while. The Pace boxes, after some software upgrades stopped being compatible with my setup. My impressions are that the picture is not quite a bright as the Pace, but it does give you gray bars where the Pace did not (and I always had to use the stretch modes with the Pace). The picture itself seems to be about as sharp, but as it is not as bright that may just be the contrast part. Color temperature did not change though. The Pace box is a bit easier in the setup menus and has more settings then the SA does. However, I think the sound is better with the SA than the Pace. Hope all that helps.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #1173 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the first I heard that BHN was switching from the PACE to the SA3250.

I am fighting the 8300 HDCP screen of death everytime I switch on the display. If I reboot the 8300 everything works perfectly but if I switch my display to component then back to DVI I get the HDCP message and again have to reboot. I am currently escalating the problem through BHN engineering.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1174 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
This is the first I heard that BHN was switching from the PACE to the SA3250.

The csr said they had no more Pace boxes and the new model was the SA3250. That's all I have to go by.

Since I never used a Pace for comparison, I'll be OK with the SA 3250.

Thanks LouK and Barry.
post #1175 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 09:07 AM

No way are they getting rid of the Pace 550HD. Greg said they specifically chose Pace because it was not SA. That is a great box I think the CRS's are slightly misinformed.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1176 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 AM

Can someone please answer a couple questions for me? I recently got a Sony HDTV and picked up the old HD box (not the HD DVR) last week from BH. This box is the one with the the DVI output (I am currently only using the Component video output).

Sometimes, in the top left corner, my tv will have a small icon pop up for a couple seconds when I tune to a new HD channel that says '1080i'. Is this the TV icon or cable box icon from BH?

the other thing that is wierd is that on some digital channels (NON HD) I get this '1080i' icon. For example, on FUEL channel 553, I get this and 'the science channel' as well. How would I get 1080i on a non HD channel?

If someone knows the answer, I would really appreciate any comments... thanks...
post #1177 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 AM

It is the cable box that is displaying that icon. It is displaying that to tell you what resolution it is sending. My guess for why you are seeing this on the non-hd channels is that it is up-converting them.

By pressing and holding the # sign on the remote for 5 seconds you can bring up a settings menu where you can set the resolution that will be passed to the TV.
post #1178 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 AM

I signed up for the HD DVR by calling BHN and using the BHN web page. Today I got a notice in the mail that my HD DVR is 'in' and to call. I called (on hold for about 13 minutes) and installation is scheduled for tomorrow between 8-11 AM. I will let you know how accurate they are here in Titusville. My entire equipment configuration (HD TV, STB, receiver, DVD, VCR, tape deck, speakers and etc.) is built into the wall and although the installer is coming to 'install', I will have to convince them that I will do it. They can make the contacts with BHN and instruct me on how to use the DVR. I presume that supply a manual as has been the custom in the past. They allowed me to install the 'second' STB, the third and the last (Pace 550), so I do not know why I could not just bring my Pace STB to the BHN office and swap it out as I have been doing. Must be a union issue or something.
post #1179 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Draven - thanks for the reply. So yours does that too?

What should I set the resolution to?
I have a Sony RP LCD.
post #1180 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 12:18 PM

double post
post #1181 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Roadrunner was working at 2.7 MB/sec. Recycled the modem and now have 4.7 MB/sec (592.6 KB/sec transfer rate). Very nice at no extra cost! BHN service for RR and DTV/HD continues to be a very good service. I have family in London, Atlanta, Miami and Tampa and the service in small town Titusville is better than any family member can obtain.
post #1182 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

For anyone interested, my friend who has Adelphia (East Orlando) confirmed today that the HD-DVR box that he has from them is the SA8300, same as BHN. He didn't confirm yeah or nay on whether it has 1394, or what kind of software they use.
post #1183 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
My settings did not change when I changed channels on DVI. I cannot check to see if component is different because I get a HDCP lockout if I change inputs away from DVI. Perhaps someone else can confirm. I noticed when I rebooted to get my DVI working again the setting reverted to sidebars.

Is it possible you do not have any of the 480 scan rates active in your output settings?

All of the 480 output settings are selected, but it still keeps rolling back to side bars. I'll keep messing with it and let you know if I figure it out.
post #1184 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Just got my card in the mail today about the HD DVR -- after talking to a sales person on my third call attempt (was put on hold this afternoon for 20 minutes & that isn't even an exaggeration) -- I was told tonight I could pick up a box tomorrow if I brought my Pace box in --

anyone else do their own installation ??

I suspect when I call tomorrow I am gonna be told that I have to have a tech install it but for the time being I will bite ..
post #1185 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I want to apologize head of time for this. I listen to Real Radio and was wandering if anyone new why The Drew Show is no longer on the air. I know a lot of people from Orlando view this board and the web-boards on the Real Radio site are not working. Sorry to steal the thread for a second. If anyone has any info just PM me instead of clogging this thread any longer. Thanks.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1186 of 18955 Old 01-24-2005, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow I didn't even know...
That sux, but I guess it shows that I didn't listen much...

But here you go: http://www.realradio.fm/drew_diary.html

This sux everyone good is going. They cancelled him in WPB when I was down there and also cancelled mark summers down there and now drew totally.

I agree with his statements though. He was getting boring on his show and it showed he didn't like it...
post #1187 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We got the HDCP error (8300 HD PVR) couple of times yesterday after flipping through the channels in the HD range. Shut the box off/on couple of times and error went away.

Yesterday, on a couple of channels (FOX news 28BHN, WKCF H 1180BHN, maybe on TBS HD) the sound was obviously out of sync with the screen. We've got the 8300 HD PVR hooked up to a Sony XBR910 via HDMIwDVI adapter. Sound was ahead of what was on the screen. Couple of months ago I thought this MAY have happened with our DVD player (componet) but it wasn't as noticable as this occurence and that instance may have been 'just me'.
post #1188 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bgall
Wow I didn't even know...
That sux, but I guess it shows that I didn't listen much...

But here you go: http://www.realradio.fm/drew_diary.html

This sux everyone good is going. They cancelled him in WPB when I was down there and also cancelled mark summers down there and now drew totally.

I agree with his statements though. He was getting boring on his show and it showed he didn't like it...

Apparently Drew was making some not so nice comments about Doc and Johnny (from XL106.7, another Clearchannel station) so Clearchannel fired him.

now back to our regularly scheduled HD discussion
post #1189 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by LJCullen
Just got my card in the mail today about the HD DVR -- after talking to a sales person on my third call attempt (was put on hold this afternoon for 20 minutes & that isn't even an exaggeration) -- I was told tonight I could pick up a box tomorrow if I brought my Pace box in --

anyone else do their own installation ??

I suspect when I call tomorrow I am gonna be told that I have to have a tech install it but for the time being I will bite ..

I picked one up yesterday at the Altamonte location. There were a couple other people getting them also. If they have them in, they will give you one.

Michael

Michael

Bright House Networks Central FL:
SA 8300HD DVR
Samsung HD DVR
post #1190 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 05:45 AM

I guess you have to discuss something about the HD DVR box to get anyone besides Draven to respond to a simple question. Thank you Draven - somehow my box got set to 1080i and I reset it to PASS and I am good 2 go....
post #1191 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 05:47 AM

So, has anyone tried hooking up an external 1394 Hard Drive yet?
post #1192 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FlasHBurN
So, has anyone tried hooking up an external 1394 Hard Drive yet?

The HD DVR's in BHN Central Florida don't have a 1394 jack. Maybe you are seeing the SATA jack. Other markets have the 1394 jack, but ours has been deleted.
post #1193 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FLChad
I guess you have to discuss something about the HD DVR box to get anyone besides Draven to respond to a simple question. Thank you Draven - somehow my box got set to 1080i and I reset it to PASS and I am good 2 go....

You posted a problem in this forum and got a correct answer in 1 hour and 22 minutes. You could have done a search of this thread and found the information immediately.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

post #1194 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 07:02 AM

Liked: 12
MY SA 8300 HD box is performing perfectly. I just wish they had the TIVO guide which is outstanding and lets you see all shows on a channel for about the next 8 shows.

Am I the only one who has the HD-DVR AND TIVO hooked up together? I split the cable coming from the wall and run one end into each box. My next experiment is to try to see if I can tape 2 shows on the HD-DVR and a 3rd on the TIVO all at the same time. It seems possible.

***************Also, someone posted how to bring up the statistics screen on ch.611 (using the SA 8300 Hd-DVR) but I can't seem to get it to work. Would someone post the steps necessary to get to ch. 611 and the stats? Thanks in advance.
post #1195 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one who has the HD-DVR AND TIVO hooked up together? I split the cable coming from the wall and run one end into each box. My next experiment is to try to see if I can tape 2 shows on the HD-DVR and a 3rd on the TIVO all at the same time. It seems possible.

Nope, I'm doing that too. Same configuration.

The only thing I miss is having the tivo reach the digital channels, like it was when the tivo was controlling the pace box. But now with the 8300, I don't want the tivo using up one of the two tuners in the 8300.

Yes, recording three programs at once works just fine.

I'm very pleasantly surprised with the things the DVR does well. I expected to be a little annoyed with it. But we'll get into the other things I miss from the tivo some other time...

/temple
post #1196 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 AM

A contractor to BHN (scheduled to arrive between 8-11 AM) came at 8:45 AM. He gave me the box and I did the connections as my system is built into the wall.The contractor was very understanding of my wanting to do the connections and it worked as soon as he called in the SN. He then looked at the outside wiring and said it looked like it should be replaced as well as the 'older style' connectors. He said that would help my signal strength and faster RR service. The manual left was only the connection booklet and remote programming booklet. Actual 'how to use' manual was not in the box. Picture quality on HD is slightly better than the Pace STB, but non HD channels are much better. The manual at the SA web site is not for the Passport OS on the STB. BHN called to confirm the installation and I asked that they send me the correct manual and they said they would check that out. I am more than satisfied with BHN service and product quality.
post #1197 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rolltide1017
I want to apologize head of time for this. I listen to Real Radio and was wandering if anyone new why The Drew Show is no longer on the air. I know a lot of people from Orlando view this board and the web-boards on the Real Radio site are not working. Sorry to steal the thread for a second. If anyone has any info just PM me instead of clogging this thread any longer. Thanks.

He left. According to the piece I read, it was a mutual parting of the ways.

-Tony
post #1198 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 11:25 AM

are all HD DVRs that are being installed by BHN in CFL SA8300HD's? no SA8000HD's? i want to make sure i'm getting one that can output HD and SD simultaneously without the whole PiP thing

thanks

Ricky Brigante

podcast, Host

by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #1199 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

yes.
post #1200 of 18955 Old 01-25-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gilley
The HD DVR's in BHN Central Florida don't have a 1394 jack. Maybe you are seeing the SATA jack. Other markets have the 1394 jack, but ours has been deleted.

My mistake, I meant the SATA plug. So has anyone tried an external SATA drive on it yet?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page