Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1261 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I'm reading through all of the posts on the new HD DVR boxes and can't decide if it is worth it to give up my Pace box for $10 more a month and a ridiculous $20 install fee...what's up with that?!?!?! Makes those of us that post in here that are pretty much on the forefront and who do our best to promote BHN's technology (which I greatly appreciate and do my best to convince others to switch) to others feel a bit taken advantage of!! This on top of already paying extra for the extra HD channels (INHD, ESPNHD...etc.)...shouldn't there be some sort of HD package which would include both...i.e. $10/mo for HD DVR service and the HD package? I might be able to stomach that a little easier. Don't get me wrong, don't mean to sound too negative, because I know BHN Orlando is one of the leaders in providing HD content, but at some point this will be the standard that they will be forced to deliver...and if they keep adding all these charges how much are we going to be paying by then!?!?!

Yeah, sure the ability to have a DVR in HD is a great advantage and I'm not saying that it shouldn't cost more, but just trying to get a read on whether or not it will be worth it for someone like myself who hasn't really had the need to record shows for quite sometime. I'm happy with the Pace box and don't really want to spend an extra $120 a year just to be able to record in HD and also sounds like the new boxes might be a bit glitchy and don't necessarily have a better pq or better features (other than the DVR capability) to make it worth while?!?!?!

I'm riding the fence on this one for the time being unless someone can convince me otherwise (one way or the other)!!! Thank you in advance for any input....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 09:27 AM

I think the $20 install fee is incorrect info. Call BH again. In many locations you can switch out the box yourself.
As for whether or not a DVR is worth it - you'll have to decide yourself but I'm sure anyone that has one will tell you they love it. Just being able to pause and replay live TV makes it worth it to me.
post #1263 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:

can't decide if it is worth it to give up my Pace box for $10 more a month

Easily worth the $10 in my book. Consider that satellite users are paying nearly $1000 for an HD-tivo, PLUS a monthly subscription. Takes a long time to amortize out an extra $10 per month to pay for the equipment we're getting.

As for glitches and bugs, I personally am a bit surprised at how well this unit works, even compared to others' reports of the 8300HD in other markets. I credit that to the Pioneer Passport operating system that BHN has chosen over the default SARA system.

I started using an SD-DVR of another brand several years ago, with no intention of recording programs, and it's hard (no, impossible!) to imagine life without it now. HD recording on top of that is the icing on the cake.

my $.02
post #1264 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruzer
Just being able to pause and replay live TV makes it worth it to me.

A definite plus that I hadn't considered...

Setting aside the obvious benefits that come along with having the DVR capability...how are people liking the box itself compared to the Pace box??
post #1265 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by templeofdoom
I started using an SD-DVR of another brand several years ago, with no intention of recording programs, and it's hard (no, impossible!) to imagine life without it now.

That's what I'm afraid of!!!...lol!!!

Thanks for everyone's $.02, greatly appreciated!!
post #1266 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 11:57 AM

I currently have a normal DVR and I can't remember if it's 6 a month or 10 a month. I should be able to swap a pace box for the HD DVR and swap my normal DVR for a normal Digital box and not have my bill change (if i'm paying 10, otherwise 4 more a month I realize), right?
post #1267 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FlasHBurN
Just got back from the Colonial office, with my new HD DVR! w00t! So try there if you haven't had any luck. The lady also mentioned that the Altamonte office just ran out of the 8300.

Hmm..on my pending transactions page at mybrighthouse.com it shows
01/27/05 DVR INSTALLATION CHARGE $19.95 Charge

When I picked up the box they said nothing of a charge, so if this goes through, I am going to have to fight it.

I just called up the CSR and she said there is a $19.95 installation charge if the tech has to come to the house to do the installation.

If I were to pick it up locally then there is no charge, however if something goes wrong and I cannot get the HD DVR to work, then there is a $14.95 charge for the tech to come and fix the installation.

The CSR said too many people were picking up the HD DVRs locally and didn't know how to hook them up when they got home, so BHN had to send out techs to fix customer installation problems and that costs them money.

BHN is getting bigger and sadly they are now sticking it to the customer :-(
post #1268 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NewtoHD
A definite plus that I hadn't considered...

Setting aside the obvious benefits that come along with having the DVR capability...how are people liking the box itself compared to the Pace box??

I generally like the 8300HD over the Pace STB as I see better picture quality on SD channels. Also the 8300HD has an optical digital audio out that I can feed to my receiver. This allows the digital audio coax from my DVD to go directly to the receiver. Previously I had to go through a switch. I have not seen the glitches mentioned by others. In fact, I see less glitches than I saw with the Pace, although it was improving. I have perfect performance recording and playing back HD.
post #1269 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 03:21 PM

This might not be the best thread for this, but I am hoping someone here can help me.

I have noticed this problem since I had the Pace HD box. There is a faint white vertical line that scrolls horizontally across the screen. Now that I have my 8300 HD I still have the problem, but I think I have narrowed it down to only happening at 1080i mode.

This is using the DVI connection, but I also tried the component connection and I have the same problem. I was thinking it was the signal strength until today, then I paused a movie, and the band was still scrolling across the screen.

I am using a Sony 32inch 4:3 HDTV. Any ideas?
post #1270 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 04:30 PM

Wow. The main camera on the Magic game looks like crap. I've noticed this quite a few times. Compared to the ESPN game at MSG, the Sunshine Network looks bad. I don't want to hear the 720p vs 1080i debate either. I've seen games native on MSG-HD in 1080i when I lived in NY and they looked just as good, if not better then the ESPN feed. The other shots in the Magic game look better but that main camera doesn't look HD.
post #1271 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 05:25 PM

How can you tell how much storage you have left? Also, how do you get into the diag mode? I tried the select-exit button together with no success.

Thanks
post #1272 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a call yesterday about scheduling my HD DVR, the girl @ BH told me that I could eigher pick up a unit myself or schedule a tech to come to the house. If a tech came to the house, they would also bring cables for hook up. If I picked the unit up myself, it did not include cables. Has anybody got an opinion on the BH cables or should I look to buy my own. I would think the cable would be more than $20?? I now have a normal DVR, it fits into my cabinet which is 17" wide, is the new HD DVR the same width???
post #1273 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David_T
How can you tell how much storage you have left? Also, how do you get into the diag mode? I tried the select-exit button together with no success.

Thanks

Hold down Select-Exit on the front of the box until you see DIAG on the display of the box (Aprox 5 seconds). Depending on the channel that you are on, you might here a tone through your speakers to confirm it took. You can then hit Exit on the front of the box or tune to channel 611 to view diagnostic mode. Scroll down towards the end and you will see a section named "DVR AVFS". The space used/free will be on that screen.

It looks like the system holds 16.8g of space when you have no programming on it. If you check a clean system you can verify this. This is due to the tuners holding 8.4g a piece for their buffers.
post #1274 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the64gto
I now have a normal DVR, it fits into my cabinet which is 17" wide, is the new HD DVR the same width???

The 8300HD is 15.75" wide.
post #1275 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This might not be the best thread for this, but I am hoping someone here can help me.

I have noticed this problem since I had the Pace HD box. There is a faint white vertical line that scrolls horizontally across the screen. Now that I have my 8300 HD I still have the problem, but I think I have narrowed it down to only happening at 1080i mode.

This is using the DVI connection, but I also tried the component connection and I have the same problem. I was thinking it was the signal strength until today, then I paused a movie, and the band was still scrolling across the screen.

I am using a Sony 32inch 4:3 HDTV. Any ideas?

If you see the white line on 2 different stb's with 2 different cables on 2 different inputs and you still see it moving when you pause the dvr then logic says it is your display having a problem with 1080i signals. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a ground loop but that would be visible on all the scan rates.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #1276 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
If you see the white line on 2 different stb's with 2 different cables on 2 different inputs and you still see it moving when you pause the dvr then logic says it is your display having a problem with 1080i signals. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a ground loop but that would be visible on all the scan rates.

That is what I am afraid of. I just don't know what I am going to do. This thing is too big for me to take anywhere to get serviced.
post #1277 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Who knows a good in home TV service company?

post #1278 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Who knows a good in home TV service company?

Technical Arts is about the only one I know in town that has any quality rep. I don't know anyone there personally, but I've referred customers to them in the past and not heard of any of them having issues.

See ya tomorrow!

Fred Forlano
Higher Definition
post #1279 of 18819 Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm new to the DVR thing so I don't know if this was normal with others. With the 8300 I had to pause it while we were watching a recorded movie (Return of Pink Panther-love those movies!!). We had to pause for an extended phone call. I noticed after a couple minutes it went into a 'screensaver mode', shrunk the still to about the size of a PIP window and it started scooting around the screen. Nice surprise, preventing any potential burn in, etc.
post #1280 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 07:46 AM

anyone know what the Tuning section of the diag mode is for? it seems to be the only section where you can mess with options...

Ricky Brigante
Inside the Magic podcast, Host
Custom Lanyards by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #1281 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 03:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That is what I am afraid of. I just don't know what I am going to do. This thing is too big for me to take anywhere to get serviced.

Did you try calibrating your set? I would try this before calling a tech.
post #1282 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Of course! Switch the scrolling white line selector to OFF.

post #1283 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 04:16 PM

Got the 8300hd installed today. So far only one issue. The pause live TV feature works perfectly on the HD tier of channels, but not on the analog. The screen goes grey (though the time bar appears with the "pause" symbol) and the only way to clear it is to change the channel. I'm using component inputs to a Hitachi RP set. Recording a program & playing it back works fine, though when I end the playback I have the grey screen and again have to change channels to clear it. Also does the same thing using an S-video input.

Wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue before I call BHN. Thanks.
post #1284 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maya68
Did you try calibrating your set? I would try this before calling a tech.

I figured it out. I turned the scrolling white bar selector to OFF (no really, I'm not kidding!).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...04#post5084004
post #1285 of 18819 Old 01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

How strange. I will write this one down for the future. Thanks for the link.

post #1286 of 18819 Old 01-30-2005, 05:29 AM

Well folks the BHN rep brought me my nice new shiny 8300HD PVR on Saturday!

It rocks. If you had any reservations about it go get it. The installer did NOT bring a DVI/HDMI adaptor like I had requested. So I picked one up at Best Buy for $29 - works like a charm.

This new PVR works like a charm. Menus and channel changes are much much faster. The new search by Title / Keyword to progam shows is infinitely better than the previous system. Picture quality is perfect on my 36" Sony 4:3 HDTV. Goes to 1080i for the HD channels with black letterboxing (perfect) and switches automatically to 480p for all other channels (woohoo!).

It was well worth the wait.
post #1287 of 18819 Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Of course! Switch the scrolling white line selector to OFF.

Thank you.
post #1288 of 18819 Old 01-30-2005, 07:52 AM

Quote:

One other thing comes to mind (since it happened both on the Pace and the SA in 1080i mode) is that the vertical size is set too small or the vertical hold is set too far down. Some screens (like mine with the card) can adjust both verticals. if it it set wrongly you can see the the "information" lines which may appear to be a white line or snow (garbage in computerese). I won't go into full tech mode here, but there is a portion of the signal that is not meant to be viewed and that may be what he is seeing.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #1289 of 18819 Old 01-30-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichUF
I was watching a recorded HD show from SA8300 DVR while recording a second HD show. Got numerous picture freezes, blocks, and blank screens. Happened about a half dozen times. First time I've noticed this...not sure if first time I've been recording and accessing HD simultaneously.

Anyone else experience this? It the amount of info in 2 HD things just too taxing for the machine, or is it something else? Is there some kind of memory that may be inadequate?

Not a biggie, just a bit annoying after about the third time.

we seem to be getting a lot of pixel problems here from Rogers on the 8300HD i have attached two picture taken from a recording of eneterprise friday
post #1290 of 18819 Old 01-30-2005, 05:34 PM

A little more info...this problem is only on the channels below 100. if I disable the 480i & 480p outputs on the STB I can record and/or pause live, but the playback is unwatchable. Lots of skips & blocks. BHN is coming out Friday to look at it.
Quote:

Got the 8300hd installed today. So far only one issue. The pause live TV feature works perfectly on the HD tier of channels, but not on the analog. The screen goes grey (though the time bar appears with the "pause" symbol) and the only way to clear it is to change the channel. I'm using component inputs to a Hitachi RP set. Recording a program & playing it back works fine, though when I end the playback I have the grey screen and again have to change channels to clear it. Also does the same thing using an S-video input.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page