12Likes

post #1351 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by FlasHBurN
My mistake, I meant the SATA plug. So has anyone tried an external SATA drive on it yet?

I just received a follow-up phone call from a BH service representative regarding a couple of questions I had asked. Here is the current information on SATA and HDMI 5.1 Channel Dolby Digital per the representative.

1) The SATA port for an expansion hard drive has not been enabled by Scientific Atlanta yet. The BH representative told me they have plans to turn it on via a software update (no estimated date).

2) 5.1 Channel Dolby Digital sound is not enabled throught the HDMI port yet and the 8300 manuals setting instructions for this relate to SARA software, not the Toshiba Passport software used by BH. The BH representative said all parties are working on a software update to implement 5.1 digital sound through the HDMI port.

They have the makings of a great product but it looks like several months before everything is worked out.

Regards, Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry to yank this portion of the thread, but has anyone heard of what, if any, HD channels BHN will be adding? I recall someone, maybe Greg, saying one or two new National HD channels were to be added in the first quarter.

Thanks for any news.
post #1353 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any reason why I should select anything other than 1080i output by the SA8300 to my RPCRT? Is the upconverter in the SA decent? If not sent 1080i, my Hitachi will convert 480i & 480p to 1080i (or 540p, user selectable), and will convert 720p to 1080i.

Not sure I see the benefit of feeding my TV anything but 1080i. Anyone know of one?

(I suppose I could ask this over in hardware. Asking here since much of discussion recently is about SA8300)
post #1354 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gimphboi
I was a beta tester for another service. It was fantastic. Voice quality was equal to my local carrier. Do not hesitate to give it a try.

-Tony

The BH phone service should be great. They are using QOS to make sure voice packets receive priority over other data. They are splitting the voice data over multiple channels to make sure if one channel is congested it can ride the other. In theory VoIP will use up your bandwidth, no matter how or where it is connected to your cable modem. The reality is a voice call will use less than 32k/sec for the first call and even less for each additional (at this point BH is only offering 1 line).

They are offering 911 service, and unlike other Internet phone services, your phone call is much more controlled in that they know where the service is terminating.

Also, unlike other VoIP service, the voice data never goes on the Internet, so it will never be subject to congestion outside their network. The data only rides BH's IP network. It is pulled over to their class III switch in Tampa to connect to the PSTN so it never goes on the public Internet.

The ONLY downside I can think of is power. The EMTA that you will get has a built in battery as well as a space for a user supplied second battery (if it's an ARRIS model) The problem is that if the power goes out for a prolonged period of time, IE a hurricane, you might be out of luck. Also, even if you happen to have a generator, BH's network needs power not just at their head end like the phone company, but through out the cable plant up to within a few hundred feet from your home.

My opinion, its a great service, especially for those additional lines in the home.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1355 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichUF
Is there any reason why I should select anything other than 1080i output by the SA8300 to my RPCRT? Is the upconverter in the SA decent? If not sent 1080i, my Hitachi will convert 480i & 480p to 1080i (or 540p, user selectable), and will convert 720p to 1080i.

Not sure I see the benefit of feeding my TV anything but 1080i. Anyone know of one?

My experimentation with the 8300 on BH Orlando indicates that turning on only 720p and 1080i offers the best upconvertion results of 480i. I think native 720p programming looks best at 720p rather than 1080i but it is subjective. I can't tell the difference between 480p upconverted to 720p.

(My TV accepts all four formats.)

Regards, Pete
post #1356 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 PM

For all BH customers who have an HD Cable Box..........

BH Customer Service monitors this thread so please respond to this message, letting them know whether you agree or disagree with the following observation.

After just a month with an HD signal it is painfully apparent that EVERY CABLE CHANNEL SHOULD BE DELIVERED IN THE 480p FORMAT AT A MINIMUM.

It is time for BH to go full digital.

Regards, Pete
post #1357 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
The BH phone service should be great. They are using QOS to make sure voice packets receive priority over other data. They are splitting the voice data over multiple channels to make sure if one channel is congested it can ride the other. In theory VoIP will use up your bandwidth, no matter how or where it is connected to your cable modem. The reality is a voice call will use less than 32k/sec for the first call and even less for each additional (at this point BH is only offering 1 line).

They are offering 911 service, and unlike other Internet phone services, your phone call is much more controlled in that they know where the service is terminating.

Also, unlike other VoIP service, the voice data never goes on the Internet, so it will never be subject to congestion outside their network. The data only rides BH's IP network. It is pulled over to their class III switch in Tampa to connect to the PSTN so it never goes on the public Internet.

The ONLY downside I can think of is power. The EMTA that you will get has a built in battery as well as a space for a user supplied second battery (if it's an ARRIS model) The problem is that if the power goes out for a prolonged period of time, IE a hurricane, you might be out of luck. Also, even if you happen to have a generator, BH's network needs power not just at their head end like the phone company, but through out the cable plant up to within a few hundred feet from your home.

My opinion, its a great service, especially for those additional lines in the home.

WOW! Excellent assessment, Peter. Thanks a million!
Where'd you get all that inside scoop? Certainly not from a normal customer service rep on the phone?!

For me, it sounds like probably a good fit for a second phone line, and to use for the unlimited long distance.
post #1358 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Will it work with an alarm system?
post #1359 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 03:28 PM

Everyone inquiring about Bright House Digital Phone would do well to check out the VOIP forum at www.broadbandreports.com instead of hijacking this thread.
post #1360 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Gator5000e: works with my alarm system. Required a service call for some minor programming.
post #1361 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kid_Digital_NYC
Everyone inquiring about Bright House Digital Phone would do well to check out the VOIP forum at www.broadbandreports.com instead of hijacking this thread.

I hardly think discussing BH services on a local BH thread is hijacking.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1362 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
I hardly think discussing BH services on a local BH thread is hijacking.

Isn't this thread located in the "AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception" forum?

Somehow I don't see how digital phone relates to local HDTV reception.

I'm simply directing people to where they're most likely to get answers to their specific concerns.
post #1363 of 18949 Old 02-08-2005, 10:19 PM

Sorry to yank this portion of the thread, but has anyone heard of what, if any, HD channels BHN will be adding? I recall someone, maybe Greg, saying one or two new National HD channels were to be added in the first quarter.

Thanks for any news.
post #1364 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
This is a classic HDCP handshake problem. If you get digital snow or the HDCP warning message please post here what model display you own, what causes the loss of handshake (change inputs, power down...etc), and what you have to do to reset the HDCP path (unplug hdmi, power cycle, reboot 8300). ...

I got a reboot last night on the 8300. I was experimenting with output formats, and selected all four outputs in settings. I was scrolling though channels, and got to the first 'on demand' channel (can't remember number) and got hung up, seemingly as the output was changing from one format to another. Got lots of flickering, a screen full of snow, and then an auto reboot of the 8300.

My TV: Hitachi 65XWX20b, connected to the 8300 via HDMI->DVI. (for now...may go back to component as HDMI seems buggy)

Some observations (not all related to the reboot): It is PAINFULLY slow when the SA8300 switches between output formats. This was part of the reason I asked the question about benefits of selecting all four output options. This stinks, b/c I do believe, based on my eye only (which is really all that matters ), that my Hitachi does a better job at upconverting 480i and 480p to 1080i than the SA830 does. I can't tell any difference from 720p (and I didn't expect to).

As cool as HD-DVR is, I am ONCE AGAIN disappointed by how quirky the hardware and software is. I hated my first HD box from BHN, and I'm not thrilled with this one (although overall satisfied). I'm not an engineer, but it just seems like it should be better than this I am going to leave it to the SA8300 to upconvert everything to 1080i, at the expense of PQ, as this is the only way to make channel surfing bearable. Plus that was the wife's orders

SA can put it in a slick, sliver package (wish it were black anyways), but can't fool me with sub-par hardware and buggy software Still, I'm not going to send it back, and I acknowledge that it is my best option.
post #1365 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich,

DVI does not support 480i. Do not select that option in the menu unless you are using an HDMI to HDMI or component video path.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

post #1366 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Oops, my bad...learned something new. Thanks for the tip...maybe that was the problem, although when 480i selected the picture still displayed properly. hmmmm

I suppose that could have had something to do with the reboot, but it doesn't matter as I can not wait that long for a channel change even with just 480p/720p/1080i selected. I'm leaving it at 1080i for now.
post #1367 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yours is not the first case I have read where 480i DVI sort of works even though the standard does support it. On my rig 480i over DVI locked up everything and timed out to the HDCP warning screen.

Anyone else having to reset HDMI?

I ISF calibrated a Samsung HLP-5063 this weekend that had to unplug the HDMI cable everytime they switched sources to re-establish the HDCP handshake. Please post your model of display if you are using the same kind of workaround so I can submit the info to BHN engineering.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

post #1368 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 AM

Anyone have any updates on the HD DVR boxes and if any of the BHN offices have them available for pick up? Don't really want to pay the $20 install fee as I never had to when I changed out to the PACE box. Or since BHN uses the info they get from the posts in here, maybe they could offer some sort of waiver on the install to those who post in here??? I'm sure most of the information they acquire from us in here is very valuable to them!!!

Also, have a Toshiba 57H83 Cinema Series, anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the new HD DVR on this or similar TVs?? I believe this TV only has the DVI and Component interfaces, based on what I'm reading, is my best option to hook up the DVR with a DVI cable utilizing a HDMI-DVI adaptor? Any good suggestions on where to pick the cable and adaptor up that is decent enough quality at a reasonable price??

As always, thank you for all of the invaluable information I get from in here from everyone!!!

BTW, any updates for us Greg??
post #1369 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Monoprice.com is a good source for an inexpensive HDMI->DVI cable. Should work fine with your set.

I'm not convinced that the digital connection (HDMI->DVI) looks any better than the analog one (component) on my CRT-RPTV, but this is rather subjective.

Rich
post #1370 of 18949 Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dgmayor
If that's the case, then I no longer want one. I know we have it good here with the HD we have available, but I"m totally sick of dealing with BHN, as I've never had a good experience with them, whether it's been TV issues, internet issues, billing issues etc.

I realize this probably isn't a very popular sentiment around here, but I agree with you. It was one headache after another trying to get information and an install for this box. BHN /really/ blew it.

If they would just share information with their CSRs, it would make life a whole lot easier. I'm pretty fed up as well. If Voom wasn't on its way out, I would've already switched.
post #1371 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 04:22 AM
mwk

I saw a commerical last night fot Direc TV that I thought said they were launching 2 sats the would give 150 Hi Def channels.

Did I hear this right
post #1372 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

SA8300 rebooted itself again yesterday. This time it was on one channel, not while surfing through. Output was set at 1080i. Was unprovoked as far as I can tell.
post #1373 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mwk
I saw a commerical last night fot Direc TV that I thought said they were launching 2 sats the would give 150 Hi Def channels.

Did I hear this right

I believe the advertisement says "Up to xxx channels." Meaning that they will have the bandwidth, not necessarily the programming.

RichUF: Software update? What time did it reboot itself?
post #1374 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

mid-afternoon

I would think that they'd pick a better time for a software update. 2AM perhaps? I dunno.
post #1375 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Agreed. It was guess.

Mine hasn't rebooted while I'm watching it so far.

The Pace box used to every once in a while. I always just assumed it was from a software push.
post #1376 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:

yeh, I saw this commercial too, but I think the number of channels stated was 1500 not 150 -- now that's a lot of bandwidth!
post #1377 of 18949 Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM

Speaking of commercials (and it's totally off topic), but during the superbowl there was a good amount of HD commercials (including the one mentioned above for DirectTV), however, I"m now seeing these same commercials on HD channels, during HD programming, in SD. What's the point of making them in HD if you're not going to continuously run them in HD?
post #1378 of 18949 Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 PM

My 8300 has never rebooted that I've noticed. I'm not home during the day though. My wife DVRs soaps in the afternoon 1-2:30pm. She hasn't mentioned a problem either.

And

Someone mentioned the wish for BH to go full digital. This should be in a FAQ somewhere because it comes up so often. Somebody correct me if I misspeak.
BH doesn't have the bandwidth to rebroadcast all the analog channels in digital. Also they can not shut down the analog pipe although they would love to because I would guess 90% of the TV's out there would no longer get a picture. Alot of people wouldn't want a box even if you gave it to them for free. I, like many people, have multiple TV's but only 1 or 2 STBs.
Unfortunately, it will probably be a long time before the analog pipe gets shut off.
post #1379 of 18949 Old 02-11-2005, 02:36 PM

sorry to get off the HD DVR topic...

Does anyone know if the "HD Special Events" channel 1000 will be used for anything other than a few Magic games a year? I was thinking about this because of the Orlando Predators game tonight. Its being shown locally on Sunshine Network and nationally on INHD. I'm sure the INHD broadcast will be blacked out locally tonight and people here will be forced to watch on analog sunshine. Maybe whoever is behind this channel could show the HD feed locally?? not sure how this all works.

searched for "special events" and "predators" in this thread and nothing came up, so keep your skirts on if this has already been asked, thanks.
post #1380 of 18949 Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 PM

I have not yet, to my knowledge, had a reboot of the SA 8300HD. However, three errors have occurred. A recording of Gilmore Girls for my wife ended at 46 minutes for a 60 minute show. Also, 'Lost' was set up to record, but did not. Another WB show recorded, but had no sound. Other recordings for those nights were ok. We teach on those nights and were not at home and there were no signs of a power outage.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page