post #14071 of 19088 Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I do that too and have nothing in my series recordings. That's why it's so odd. I manually selected Hoarders, which was on Monday at 9. It did not record the whole show but it is scheduled to record numerous times this week. I chose for it to record only on Monday, the new one and not all of them.

That's weird for a manual recording. Sure you didn't accidentally slip and select Series Record? I often use Record Show with Options and Record Series is the next option on the list. I think I accidentally did a series recording myself before. I know with the sluggish menus sometimes on my 8300HDC, it can cause the wrong menu item to be selected if I over-compensate with an extra button press.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14072 of 19088 Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nayan,

Nice to know about the EI Free Preview.

I'll probably watch some games.

Thanks!
post #14073 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

That's weird for a manual recording. Sure you didn't accidentally slip and select Series Record? I often use Record Show with Options and Record Series is the next option on the list. I think I accidentally did a series recording myself before. I know with the sluggish menus sometimes on my 8300HDC, it can cause the wrong menu item to be selected if I over-compensate with an extra button press.

I really wish it was user-error but sadly it's not. I check the box daily since it's been happening and nothing in Series Record but Hoarders is still showing up and I have a box full of Pawn Stars which I did not choose to record. So something is seriously wrong here!

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #14074 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

Kevin, From what I have gathered here it looks like there are multiple issues going on.

1: If a show is scheduled to record at say 2pm either manually or by series and the station changes what is on and the guide is updated the DVR will still record at 2pm. In other words changes to the guide do not update the recoding schedule.

2:Series manager is taking the name of the show and if that word is anywhere in the description of any show it will record that show.

3:Shows in series manager marked to record at specific times only or new only will record multiples instances of that show and bump others off the schedule. I am having that problem with "The Soup" (Specific time) and "Chopped" (New only).

4:Manually choosing to record a show end up marking the show to record all instances as if it was placed into the series manager. Series manager is empty. Deleting the shows doesn't help. They come back.

There may be other issues that haven't been diagnosed (By AVS members, not BHN techs I might add). We'll see. Where the heck is that BHN tech guy? Maybe he can get some action on this.
post #14075 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
I suppose I've been lucky with the Samsung WHDVR boxes. The only issue I've had (sporadically) is that a series set up to record new only will record all episodes. The fix is to delete the series and set it up again.

BHNtechXpert is very active on this board: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/brighthouse
There's also a private area there which seems to help a lot of folks getting individual issues resolved: http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...A-Direct-Forum
post #14076 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Now my box is totally messed up . I deleted all of the shows that I didn't want recorded and that went okay. Now my guide is stuck on today. I was looking ahead to Saturday and while the data itself changed, the date did not and when I exited the guide all the shows I just deleted came back . I am just over this sh!t.

post #14077 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nayan,
What cable box are you using?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #14078 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got the Cisco 8642HDC. Whatever they've done software -wise has really messed up the box as a whole.

post #14079 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm...I'm on the beach side and using two of the same Cisco box as yours, and haven't had any of these problems so far. I hesitate to ask this, but have you tried re-booting it?

post #14080 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Hmm...I'm on the beach side and using two of the same Cisco box as yours, and haven't had any of these problems so far. I hesitate to ask this, but have you tried re-booting it?

Oh yeah, that's the first thing I do when it loses it's mind. Sadly it didn't fix the issue. I have all the issues Allowiches listed plus the issue that it's not recording the entire show I select. For instance, Hoarders runs an hour and it only recorded 39 minutes of it. I had nothing else scheduled for that day and no power outages. The record light was on for the full hour but it only got 39 minutes. So something is really wrong somewhere.

Now my box has decided to record everything with 'pawn' and 'star' in the name. I think I'm gonna grab a non-DVR box when I head that way tomorrow. This is maddening.

post #14081 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowiches View Post

Kevin, From what I have gathered here it looks like there are multiple issues going on.

1: If a show is scheduled to record at say 2pm either manually or by series and the station changes what is on and the guide is updated the DVR will still record at 2pm. In other words changes to the guide do not update the recoding schedule.

2:Series manager is taking the name of the show and if that word is anywhere in the description of any show it will record that show.

3:Shows in series manager marked to record at specific times only or new only will record multiples instances of that show and bump others off the schedule. I am having that problem with "The Soup" (Specific time) and "Chopped" (New only).

4:Manually choosing to record a show end up marking the show to record all instances as if it was placed into the series manager. Series manager is empty. Deleting the shows doesn't help. They come back.

There may be other issues that haven't been diagnosed (By AVS members, not BHN techs I might add). We'll see. Where the heck is that BHN tech guy? Maybe he can get some action on this.

To add to this description, it only seems to happen with OCAP boxes, not MDN.

This is an excellent bug report! As a software engineer, I can tell you that I wish the ones I work on were this detailed!!! There is no excuse for not getting this fixed ASAP! BHN should give you guys some sort of credit for not being able to use your DVRs as advertised. I'm beginning to get angry at this and I dont even have one of these DVRs!!!
post #14082 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For once I can say I'm glad.

Not because of the issue, but because I'm finally NOT the only one with an issue.
post #14083 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent a PM to the BHN tech guy. Hopefully we get an answer on this that isn't a "you're the only one" or "swap the box" response. Seriously, if he can see my account like he has in the past, he can see just how many boxes I have swapped. This swap won't be a swap this time, but a return.
post #14084 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The following is important. It wasn't posted here because it's impossible to deal with a 470 page thread....

TV] Time change reminder to our DVR customers...
Over the weekend we sprang forward one hour and along with changing your smoke detector battery those of you with DVR's who use the scheduling feature to record series programming may want to take a couple of minutes on to update your series recording times. The process is quick, simple and outlined below. This ensures that everything updates correctly (just in case) and you don't miss a single episode of your favorite programming.

Option 1

Go in and edit the series recording, change it to record all shows, and then change it back to just a specific air time and that will update the series recording time.

1. Press the List button on the remote control unit
2. Select Series Recordings
3. Select Series Manager
4. Select the Series you want to edit
5. Select Record Series Options
6. Select the Air Time Option and change to All Showings
7. Press the A button to save the changes, and let the set-top box save the changes
8. Select the Air Time Option again and change it back to the air time you want
9. Save your changes

Option 2

Delete the series recording and add it in again.

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #14085 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

For once I can say I'm glad.

Not because of the issue, but because I'm finally NOT the only one with an issue.

Oh trust me you aren't the only one. I spent half the day deleting programs and the other half trying to get my guide to work properly. Even without having anything on the schedule it's still picking out random things to record. Did you know there's a show called Hardcore Pawn? Me either but my box would like to record it.

post #14086 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I am getting more than enough DVR'd programming atm tyvm!

/cries

post #14087 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post

The following is important. It wasn't posted here because it's impossible to deal with a 470 page thread....

Over the weekend we sprang forward one hour and along with changing your smoke detector battery those of you with DVR's who use the scheduling feature to record series programming may want to take a couple of minutes on to update your series recording times. The process is quick, simple and outlined below. This ensures that everything updates correctly (just in case) and you don't miss a single episode of your favorite programming.

Option 1

Go in and edit the series recording, change it to record all shows, and then change it back to just a specific air time and that will update the series recording time.

3. Select Series Manager
7. Press the A button to save the changes, and let the set-top box save the changes
9. Save your changes

Option 2

Either I'm loosing grips on my understanding of OCAP since I used to work with it, but that DOES sound like a software bug, and not a damn thing to do with the guide.

Here's the thing, even if the guide data does change, the software should be smart enough to make appropriate changes. They are more than powerful enough to do this. They use a 700MHz MIPS processor, and support up to 512MB RAM. I don't know if these boxes are equipped with that much RAM though, considering how SLOW they go, but even then, when the box is turned off during the day while I'm working, it has more than enough time to sort things out on it's down time.

But this clearly exposes a flaw in the DVR software. It can't track, it gets confused, and the series manager database gets corrupted and it starts recording other shows (and in the case of a few here, seemingly the same random shows). If this fix is to toggle a setting and back, it's a BUG.

But to that end, that does not explain Nayans case, where he wiped out his entire series manager and it is STILL recording shows on it's own.

Now I have been more than patient believe it or not, but I'm really through with this OCAP crap. Why do you think I keep jokingly call it ocrap? Cause when a customer called in with a OCAP box with any form of a problem, we said "OCRAP!" and just sent them a MDN powered box.

Here's the problem, is there even any NEWER style MDN box? Or did BHN end up going all OCAP? Cause whenever I have tried to get away from OCAP boxes, I keep ending up with them. I have not been able to score any recent MDN boxes ever.
post #14088 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you know there's a show called Hardcore Pawn? Me either but my box would like to record it.

Yes, a rip off of Pawn Stars.. Sadly these TV stations now clone their OWN shows for a profit.

But either way, yea. Mine doesn't record that. Mine likes to record suns of guns and FBI files or something..

I'll do what the bhn tech said, but it better work. I just wish they'd admit a software fault, because you can't fault the hardware, and you definitely can't fault the guide. It's the softwares responsibility to sort this out.
post #14089 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

All these weird and unexplained DVR recording problems has me wondering about BHN's Remote DVR Manager (RDM). Is it possible that some innocent BHN customer's use of RDM for their own DVR could be unknowingly messing up other customers' DVR recording settings; perhaps caused by a corrupted RDM or corrupted data in BHN's register of the DVRs installed/issued to other customers?

post #14090 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about that, but it really shouldn't. The serial numbers on the boxes are different. If that was happening that'd be a scary thought, but I doubt that is the issue.

I could be wrong though.
post #14091 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

All these weird and unexplained DVR recording problems has me wondering about BHN's Remote DVR Manager (RDM). Is it possible that some innocent BHN customer's use of RDM for their own DVR could be unknowingly messing up other customers' DVR recording settings; perhaps caused by a corrupted RDM or corrupted data in BHN's register of the DVRs installed/issued to other customers?

I didn't think about that. It is a possibility and I know my neighbors have it.

post #14092 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhspqggn3 View Post

Seminole CC and Valencia CC will be sharing a subchannel on WMFE-DT when WMFE goes from 2 channel multicasting to 4 channel multicasting. Actually they only get one day of access for that subchannel and then it goes to other local organizations and government agencies on other days. This was per WMFE's website.

So they'll rotate? Does that mean they now won't have four channels of the same thing everyday?

post #14093 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

I just looked at my scheduled recordings and now my box thinks everything new is fabulous and has scheduled everything new to be recorded many times this week. Mine has never done that before so somebody did something to the software.

Option 1

3. Select Series Manager
9. Save your changes

Option 2

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #14094 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So the box is incapable of doing this automatically for handling DST? Wow.

Either way I've had these issues before DST.
post #14095 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary it doesn't help me hon . I deleted everything off my box, nothing in my series manager, nothing that I personally scheduled to record. Right now it's recording something on the Science Channel that I did not program to record. So either aliens have invaded my box or something else is going on.

post #14096 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Surprisingly mine is not recording anything today or right now..
post #14097 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Alright those of you who are ACCOUNT HOLDERS please open individual threads here in our direct (private and secure) forums. I can't handle account specific things here as it's not secure. In your thread make sure you include your modem MAC and WAN IP address with all of the details and also that you were referred from here.

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect

I will be in touch with you individually...this is just impossible to manage here sorry.

post #14098 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

What does the modem MAC and my IP address have to do with the DVR?

Really now. You don't EVER need the IP address, because the MAC address will easily show an IP anyway with your DOCSIS monitoring software. (whatever you use. I'm used to DRUM)..

Really not interested in troubleshooting this. Trust me, the box will be going back if it tries to record shows again, but I'm not getting another one.. We have had to endure countless STB problems since getting our account in the late 90's. Almost every year it's a new box, and another, and another, and another.

Oh, and never once was I given an apology for the trouble, except from one person here, of which sadly he doesn't seem to come here anymore. And only once, did I ever get compensation for the service issues, and that was only because they were out of regular STB's with HDMI, and was forced into getting a DVR, of which I made sure I got compensation for that.

This seriously may end up being the last time being a digital cable subscriber. I know it sounds silly, but I'd rather analog cable. It just works, and for my eyes, it's fine, since we get clear QAM anyway on the big screen, and if anything is HD I usually only care about the local channels anyway.
post #14099 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

What does the modem MAC and my IP address have to do with the DVR?

Really now. You don't EVER need the IP address, because the MAC address will easily show an IP anyway with your DOCSIS monitoring software. (whatever you use. I'm used to DRUM)..

Really not interested in troubleshooting this. Trust me, the box will be going back if it tries to record shows again, but I'm not getting another one.. We have had to endure countless STB problems since getting our account in the late 90's. Almost every year it's a new box, and another, and another, and another.

Oh, and never once was I given an apology for the trouble, except from one person here, of which sadly he doesn't seem to come here anymore. And only once, did I ever get compensation for the service issues, and that was only because they were out of regular STB's with HDMI, and was forced into getting a DVR, of which I made sure I got compensation for that.

This seriously may end up being the last time being a digital cable subscriber. I know it sounds silly, but I'd rather analog cable. It just works, and for my eyes, it's fine, since we get clear QAM anyway on the big screen, and if anything is HD I usually only care about the local channels anyway.

That's how I pull your account so I can reach out to you directly. We don't allow account numbers, names or telephone numbers to be posted. Only modem MAC and IP is needed. I ask for both because 9 times out of 10 one or the other is not correct when provided. Beats having to ask a second time.

And honestly Hakemon it doesn't apply to you anyway. Your parents would need to post or they can contact me directly via email if they want. Must be the account holder (this is based on your statement about your father being upset about your leaving the TV on at night and threatening to take your box)

post #14100 of 19088 Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have full access to the account, I am authorized and it can be verified, that has already been established a few years ago.. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have been able to call in about billing concerns myself, and authorizing the cable wire to be repaired going to our house.

Matter of fact, for the past several years since I got the first Pace HD box (the only box I ever had that actually worked until a software update turned it into a brick), I have been the only one on the account that is controlling it. My Dad only pays the bills (and I pay him my share), and trust me, we need to start saving money on the bill, it's out of hand, and the digital cable is going to be the first to go.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page