9Likes

post #121 of 18906 Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greg,

On April 2 Greg said
"The mandate says we have to provide a 1394-capable box to any customer who requests on. I posted in an earlier thread that we would be deploying a version of the S/A 3250 to meet this requirement."

Do you have an update on when this box will be available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 18906 Old 04-23-2004, 02:45 PM

MHdiab,

Blackout rules are definitely not established by us. Unlike the rest of our business, I don't necessarily understand them either.

But I asked our guy in charge of that type of programming and here is the reponse I received:

"It all depends on various scenarios. The NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. decide what games get blacked out by regions. Here is an example, when the Tampa Bay Lighting plays at home, ESPN can not show the game because Sunshine has the rights to show it in the surrounding territory of the Tampa Bay Lighting. Same applies for the Orlando Magic.

As far as Baseball, Soccer etc. it depends on which channel (ESPN, Sunshine or others) have the rights to that particular team. "

I still not sure I understand. I would also add that the NFL imposes local blackouts when the game isn't sold out.

Mike,

This is really a question for Sunshine. But I would imagine it has something to do with availability of the equipment to do HD. At one point, there were only 3 HD production trucks criss-crossing the county covering various games. I'm sure there's more now, but without knowing which teams would be playing where, in which regional, it would be a nightmare to schedule. BHN can't distribute what Sunshine doesn't shoot...

waters,

I've still got you on my list. I'll send you a PM to discuss.

Greg
post #123 of 18906 Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 PM

My audio is still out on my Samsung TS160 for 9-1.

Anyone else?
post #124 of 18906 Old 04-25-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stoodo

Anyone else?

Audio is fine on my Panny Tu-HDS20. No HD though. I assume that ABC isn't broadcasting the NBA playoffs in HD yet?
post #125 of 18906 Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM

Just checked on my Zenith SAT520 - sound both out of the analog audio and optical (DD 5.1 according to my pre-amp).
post #126 of 18906 Old 04-25-2004, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Greg - yeah I know everyone has different blackout rules, and to me really the NFL has the best and most understandable rules - no sell-out = blackout as stated but also soldout Friday prior - hey give it to the fans make more money etc

Annoying that a game that we can't get through the regular channel is blacked-out - guess that is how they want to push BHN to pick up their channel

Thanks for the reply
post #127 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 AM
mwk

Thanks Greg, the games Sunshine did in the regular season were great in HD.

Mike
post #128 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 AM
mwk

Thanks Greg, the games Sunshine did in the regular season were great in HD.

Mike
post #129 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 09:58 AM

I just called BH and asked about the Pace HD box. They said it is not yet available. Is this true or am I just speaking with the wrong people? Thanks in advance.
post #130 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 AM

The Pace box isn't available on-demand yet. Some BHN customers have them now but they fall into two groups:

1. People randomly selected to receive the box as part of field testing (my in-laws are in this category)

2. Customers who say their HDTV has a DVI input apparently stand a good chance of getting one if they are persistent and if they talk to a CSR who knows about this. If you call and ask for a Pace box they will likely ask you if your TV has a DVI input. If you say no they will tell you that as of now the boxes are reserved for those customers.

In my pursuit of knowledge on this issue I got several different and conflicting answers from different CSRs and was totally frustrated until Greg answered my post on this board and gave me the straight scoop.

BV
post #131 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 AM

Greg - I know its a little off topic for this thread but I don't know where else to go at this point.

I recently purchased a pronto remote control so my wife and kids could watch TV and DVD's and such without having to figure out what inputs for the TV and for the reciever etc...

My problem is that I can't find the discrete on/off codes for our Pace 550 box. I contacted Pace and they said that it uses the Scientific Atlanta's code set... I can't find them for them either. These codes are treated like national secrets.... it shouldn't be this hard...

Thanks
post #132 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 11:33 AM

The codes used on the Pace box are the same as all of BHN's boxes, and assumably the same as all boxes running Pioneer Passport. There may not be discrete codes, that would be a good question. My solution is very simple. Don't include the cable box in your power on or power off macros. Just leave it on all the time. That's what I do for all of my customers and it seems to work fine.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #133 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by ebockelman
Is anyone having problems with the PSIP data on WRBW (UPN 65) today? I just activated my HR10-250 (HDTV Tivo) and get the "searching for signal on antenna in" when I tune to 65-1. Program data is in the guide for 65-1. I get a picture on 41-1, but there is no guide data there.

Hoping to get mine later this week or next week.

I always have the above problem with WRBW on my Sony HD-200. I think their PSIP is hosed.
post #134 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stoodo

Anyone else?

My Samsung TS160 picked up the 9-1 DD 5.1 audio again about 4 or 5 days ago. Also 27-1 came back. You might try a new scan for digital channels to see if helps.
post #135 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 02:51 PM

There are no discrete "on/off" codes for the Pace, or any other Scientific Atlanta box. We've actually had this discussion with them based on requests from custom integrators like Peter. We're just not there yet.

Leaving it on all the time works pretty well, except when the power goes out (never happens around here). I don't know a perfect solution.

a4bob,

You didn't say where you're located. That makes a big difference.

Greg

Greg
post #136 of 18906 Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 PM

I saw on the front page of RogerSimmons.com this quote "At the NAB convention in Las Vegas, Euphonix announced it has sold two Euphonix Max Air digital audio consoles to WOFL-Fox 35. A 24 Fader Max Air will be installed in the station's new control room this month and a 16 Fader will be installed in WOFL's existing control room in June. (I really don't know what that means, but it sure sounds important, huh?) ... And we're told the WOFL folks are moving into their ritzy new newsroom this week."

These two consoles can handle Dolby Digital 5.1, this may be a sign that WOFL may be changing in the near future from 1080i to 720p.

This may also be why WRBW is not throwing the switch for UPN HD feeds as well at the present time because of the control room changeover.

Also I did a short comparison on what other Fox affiliates in Central Florida region do for DTV transmission:

WTVT-DT 12 recently changed it's broadcast output from 480p to 720p
WFLX-DT 28 in WPB broadcasts in 1080i like WOFL
WOGX-DT 31 in Ocala broadcasts in 480i (this is what WOFL started out
with when they first transmitted a digital signal back in 2000)

Also note that the subchannel of WRBW-DT now airs absolutely nothing instead of a simulcast of the main channel. And both the main channel and subchannel both read output as 1080i (even though the second one has nothing on it now).

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #137 of 18906 Old 04-27-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
The codes used on the Pace box are the same as all of BHN's boxes, and assumably the same as all boxes running Pioneer Passport. There may not be discrete codes, that would be a good question. My solution is very simple. Don't include the cable box in your power on or power off macros. Just leave it on all the time. That's what I do for all of my customers and it seems to work fine.

Pete is correct. There are NO discrete codes for the Scientific Atlanta/Pioneer boxes. Just leave the box in the 'ON' state, and include a power button on the cable TV page in case it gets out of sequence.

If it's important, you can always get a voltage sensor but that's more money and not really worth it.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
post #138 of 18906 Old 04-28-2004, 02:43 PM

Got the Pace Box yesterday -- I throw out a few questions --

A) I have a "cable" connection for Digital Audio out -- the pace box offers an optical output which my AMP will handle fine -- is there a difference in the quality of the connection??

B) Was there a problem last night with sound on NYPD Blue on the HDTV side -- ?? Just my luck -- I get a new box and am now wondering if it was the network, the feed and/or the new box. I got HBO SHO fine but some of the network HDTV channels were low and/or missing. Had a few "adult beverages" out last night so I did not trouble shoot it then -- but am fixing to do battle now if I was the only one with the problem.
post #139 of 18906 Old 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LJCullen
Got the Pace Box yesterday -- I throw out a few questions --

A) I have a "cable" connection for Digital Audio out -- the pace box offers an optical output which my AMP will handle fine -- is there a difference in the quality of the connection??

B) Was there a problem last night with sound on NYPD Blue on the HDTV side -- ?? Just my luck -- I get a new box and am now wondering if it was the network, the feed and/or the new box. I got HBO SHO fine but some of the network HDTV channels were low and/or missing. Had a few "adult beverages" out last night so I did not trouble shoot it then -- but am fixing to do battle now if I was the only one with the problem.

To answer your questions:

A) The 'cable' connection you are looking at is called a COAX digital cable out or SPDI/F connection. Most Dolby Digital receivers have at least one of these connections on it. As for quality, the industry will argue this one until they are blue in the face, but technically, yes, the COAX connection is better, allowing more data IF YOU USE A HIGHER QUALITY CABLE to connect your box to your receiver. Will you HEAR a difference? Not likely unless you have a SERIOUS amount of money tied up in your system.

B) I can't speak for the sound loss during NYPD Blue, but most audio dropout problems are caused by bad data being sent to the box. Usually, changing the channel will fix the trick, and sometimes, the box requires a reset.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
post #140 of 18906 Old 04-28-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aforlano
To answer your questions:

A) The 'cable' connection you are looking at is called a COAX digital cable out or SPDI/F connection. Most Dolby Digital receivers have at least one of these connections on it. As for quality, the industry will argue this one until they are blue in the face, but technically, yes, the COAX connection is better, allowing more data IF YOU USE A HIGHER QUALITY CABLE to connect your box to your receiver. Will you HEAR a difference? Not likely unless you have a SERIOUS amount of money tied up in your system.

I don't know about "allowing more data IF YOU USE A HIGHER QUALITY CABLE" SPDI/F is digital, so either its there or its not. If you buy "high quality" digital audio cables expecting that you will "hear more" or it will "sound better" you are going to be disappointed. Either the data gets to the receiver and it is decoded, or it does not and you hear nothing. There is no in-between. Get the cheapest good quality RCA cables you can find and it will work great, don't spend your money on those pricey optical cables or fall for the marketing that digital coaxial (RCA) cables are better than the analog ones. Just don't tell my customers that.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #141 of 18906 Old 04-28-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PeterShipp
I don't know about "allowing more data IF YOU USE A HIGHER QUALITY CABLE" SPDI/F is digital, so either its there or its not. If you buy "high quality" digital audio cables expecting that you will "hear more" or it will "sound better" you are going to be disappointed. Either the data gets to the receiver and it is decoded, or it does not and you hear nothing. There is no in-between. Get the cheapest good quality RCA cables you can find and it will work great, don't spend your money on those pricey optical cables or fall for the marketing that digital coaxial (RCA) cables are better than the analog ones. Just don't tell my customers that.

Perhaps I should have clarified my "HIGHER QUALITY CABLE" quote. I was referring to using something other then the el-cheapo RCA cables you get in a box when you buy a VCR. Data transfer errors are what I'm referring to when it comes to lower quality cables. Yes, Digital is Digital, but you can suffer some loss of data if you use a cheap cable.

Pete is correct when it comes to pricy optical cables, et. al. for the most part. There is one thing to consider though, the cable head itself is usually of higher quality then the cheaper ones, so they hold up a bit better over time.

I won't tell Pete's customers if he doesn't tell mine

Regards,

Fred Forlano
post #142 of 18906 Old 04-28-2004, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm not going to jump into the coax versus optical fray as I pretty much agree with what has been said already. However when it comes to cable STBs I prefer optical. Why? I'm glad you asked. Cable often times introduces a ground loop which if you use an optical cable you will electrically isolate the STB from your Pre/Pro or receiver eliminating the ground loop from that path.
post #143 of 18906 Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 PM

OK -- got the idea and stayed with the 'high-end' cable I already had -- Gosh knows I have more un-used cables than one can shake a stick at. But I thank all for the info - and honestly it is was in keeping with what I thought I understood from friends et al.

Now another question:

I do have a high end receiver -- Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Since getting the Pace box I have noticed that if I set the sound volume on (this is just a means of explaining) sound level 20 --

If I switch to Digital input, the sound is at a considerable lower volume than the regular Analog Audio -- lets say in my example I would have to raise the sound level to 15 to achieve close to the same volume level.

I never experienced this before with the previous box -- am I missing something?

Its an annoyance factor more than a problem - and besides still trying to learn all this 'stuff"

Checked all my connections and inputs - and can't see what could have changed. The 5.1 surround from the regular channels is just more 'muted' - for lack of better terminology.
post #144 of 18906 Old 04-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Hello Forum...I will be moving from Fort Lauderdale to St. Cloud this summer. Just a quick question. In the Orlando area does the local cbs channel carry the Dolphin games and are they broadcast in HDTV?
post #145 of 18906 Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LJCullen
OK -- got the idea and stayed with the 'high-end' cable I already had -- Gosh knows I have more un-used cables than one can shake a stick at. But I thank all for the info - and honestly it is was in keeping with what I thought I understood from friends et al.

Now another question:

I do have a high end receiver -- Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Since getting the Pace box I have noticed that if I set the sound volume on (this is just a means of explaining) sound level 20 --

If I switch to Digital input, the sound is at a considerable lower volume than the regular Analog Audio -- lets say in my example I would have to raise the sound level to 15 to achieve close to the same volume level.

I never experienced this before with the previous box -- am I missing something?

Its an annoyance factor more than a problem - and besides still trying to learn all this 'stuff"

Checked all my connections and inputs - and can't see what could have changed. The 5.1 surround from the regular channels is just more 'muted' - for lack of better terminology.

Well, first of all every time you change channels, you will find that there is a volume change (this was true of the old SA box as well). If I understand your post, you are using two cables (like you had to do with the SA box) one digital and one analogue. You don't need two cables. The digital cable will give its superior sound on all the analogue channels as well. BTW I have Elite VSX55TXi and VSX-53TX receivers with the Pace Boxes, so I do have some experience in the matter. Hope that helps.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #146 of 18906 Old 04-29-2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DouglasR
Hello Forum...I will be moving from Fort Lauderdale to St. Cloud this summer. Just a quick question. In the Orlando area does the local cbs channel carry the Dolphin games and are they broadcast in HDTV?

Welcome to the forum. I'll give you a definite maybe. They have promised to move from the Jacksonville games to the Miami games, but who know if that will happen. There has been only one HD NFL game nationally on Sunday day (ESPN Sunday Night is HD, but is not yet carried by BHN), and of course Monday Night Football (even if it is on a Thursday) is in HD. In other words, if they thing the Miami game will be the best one it will be in HD otherwise it will not be. This may change as they add more HD remote units, but I have no idea when that will happen. Hope that answers your questions.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #147 of 18906 Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ESPN has been added to VOOM's lineup with ESPN, ESPN-II, ESPNEWS, and ESPN-HD. VOOM is looking very good right now. HD channels of HBO, StarzHD,MaxHD,ShowtimeHD and soon TNTHD.

LooKs good.
post #148 of 18906 Old 04-30-2004, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

DirecTV has said they will be carrying 8 games a week in HD as part of their Sunday Ticket. This would seem to say that CBS will be up-ing the number of games this fall that will be in HD and increasing our chances of more Fins games in HD. I believe 4 of the Fins games will be Sunday/Monday night so they will be in HD.

With Fox going HD, it should be a good football season... They should start doing some sporting events starting early July.

I read that ESPN will be doing more HD when they move in to the new studio in July.
post #149 of 18906 Old 04-30-2004, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DouglasR

Don't get too excited, I too am a FINS fan and regret to inform you that KMG even missed playing playoff games 2 years ago, we had to goto a sports bar to view them.

You're best bet is to get an antenna in the air and fish around, you might find them out of Tampa or Ft Myers, it's what I've had to do and it's the most reliable.
post #150 of 18906 Old 05-03-2004, 12:05 PM

LouK

Thank you for the info - and yes, it helps a great deal -- always learning here !!

The Pace box gave me the additional capability of digital sound input on channels below 100 -- which the SA box did not.

All in all - I like the Pace box for some additional flexibility I got that was not present on SA box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page