Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #151 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey greg, any new updates on the HD DVR boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattfl
Hey greg, any new updates on the HD DVR boxes?

Yes, I'm curious also.
post #153 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Decisions, decisions.
I currently subscribe to DirecTV and am anxiously waiting for broad availability of the recently released HDTivo (HR10-250). Today DirecTV successfully launched another satellite which should free up some bandwidth for more HD.
However, before I sink $1k into the DirecTivo, I would love to hear more about Brighthouse's plan for a PVR. If they offered an HD PVR with a home networking option (and picked up ESPN HD) I'd switch. They are out there:

Scientific Atlanta 8300, new DVR software
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2163406&EDATE=

Comcast to offer Moxi Media Center
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/8521855.htm

Anyone else out there in a similar situation? Comments?
Greg, you are another major plus in the column of switching to cable. I really appreciate your candid input on this forum. Care to comment?
I can't hold out much longer! The clock is ticking. . .
post #154 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg is most likely attending the NCTA convention in New Orleans.

http://www.thenationalshow.com/

Did anyone receive the firewire enabled SA3250 which was originally due on April 1st?

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #155 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the near term schedule for the HD-One Movies on WB18

Star Trek II-The Wrath of Khan - May 5/8 @ 8p & 5/22 @ 12n
Star Trek III-The Search for Spock - June 5/19 @ 8p & 5/20 @ 12n
Raider of the Lost Ark - July 7/10 @ 8p & 7/18 @ 12n

Now if we only had recorders ....
post #156 of 18907 Old 05-04-2004, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the call from BHN tonight arranging for the delivery of the SA3250 in the morning. I will be testing the Pioneer software by recording HD via fire-wire into my Apple computer.

post #157 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
I got the call from BHN tonight arranging for the delivery of the SA3250 in the morning. I will be testing the Pioneer software by recording HD via fire-wire into my Apple computer.

Woohoo!!!

Here comes the mass exodus to HD-PVR's! Keep us posted on how it works and when it's gonna be released to the public.

Great news!

Fred Forlano
post #158 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 06:36 AM

I'm afraid I didn't make it to NCTA this year -- too busy putting fires out around here. I do have a job other than talking to you guys :-).

HD-DVR -- My few years of experience in this business (3.5?) quickly educated me on one thing -- a press release is a far cry from having a deployable product. The networked HD-DVR from SA is at least a year from being deployable (anybody remember the 4th quarter 2003 promises for the standard HD-DVR?).

I expect I'll have some news in the next week or so regarding the launch date of the non-networked HD-DVR (S/A 8000HD). If you PM'ed me, you're on the list.

Greg
post #159 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 06:56 AM

Ideally to satisfy our insatiable appetites for the perfect setup...

We'd have the ExplorerĀ® 8300 Multi-Room DVR and the Explorer 8000HD put together so we could access hi-def recorded content in any room, any time, and then be able to archive it to disk via firewire -- or even better, wirelessly via High-Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) to a networked drive!!

It's coming... only a matter of time...

I can only imagine what TV will be like when our grandkids are 50.

-Zampa
post #160 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zampa

I can only imagine what TV will be like when our grandkids are 50.

I am trying to imagine what tv will be like 5 years from now.

If the DVR reaches saturation among the masses and everyone skips the commercials then the advertising based business model breaks down for the tv broadcaster. Will all the broadcast and cable channels then switch to a HBO type of business where the consumer just pays monthly for the channels he/she desires?

The only programming I can see that would not be affected by the DVR is live sports and news.

post #161 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 AM

I hope this is not out-of-line for this forum. I searched and did not see any prohibition of "for sale" items. I am sure someone will let me know if it is. In any case, it's somewhat of a "public service" message since I am selling mine at cost and they are hard to get at any price.

I have a DISH (Echostar) 921 HD DVR that I am replacing with a DirecTV system. My plan is to list it on eBay, but I would prefer to sell it to someone locally.

This unit has worked very well for me. It has no problems other than software immaturity issues that are being aggressively addressed by Echostar. I am changing to DirecTV for programming reasons.

I am not trying to get a premium price; only looking to get back my costs, $1070.

Please PM me, or send an email to: CAL77@DogT.com
post #162 of 18907 Old 05-05-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg - thanks for the update.
Out on the main forum there is a thread that has placed TNT-HD on a TWC system - any info on if you guys have signed / pretty close to close a deal?

Thanks!
post #163 of 18907 Old 05-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Originally posted by Barry928:
Quote:
If the DVR reaches saturation among the masses and everyone skips the commercials then the advertising based business model breaks down for the tv broadcaster. Will all the broadcast and cable channels then switch to a HBO type of business where the consumer just pays monthly for the channels he/she desires?

I've wondered the same thing. I think it's pretty much a given that PVRs will 'reach a saturation among the masses' -- And soon!
If the consumer has to foot the bill for broadcasting (ala carte pricing) it will wipe out all but a handful of channels.
I can see a LOT more product placements in programming coming. Joey Tribiani (sp?) munching on some Doritos and washing it down with a Coke, company logos electronically added on the 50 yard line on a football telecast, and 'Spiderman 2' ads painted on the on deck circles at MLB games, etc. . .
Can this be enough revenue to keep the current commercial television model in tact?
post #164 of 18907 Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 AM

For those who care, Adelphia turned on HDNet and HDNet movies 2 days ago. PQ is stunning, but I get SDE on high action scenes, more than likely a bandwidth issue.
post #165 of 18907 Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mezzmor
For those who care, Adelphia turned on HDNet and HDNet movies 2 days ago. PQ is stunning, but I get SDE on high action scenes, more than likely a bandwidth issue.

Send a message to viewer@hd.net. HDNet is quite particular about how Cable and Satellite providers present their signal. They may be able to put some "heat" on Adelphia to get them to improve.
post #166 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 01:34 PM

I just got the new TIVO HD system from DirecTV. I used rabbit ears last night and was able to pick up OTA easily. I am looking for suggestions of what type of long term antenna I should buy ... preferably something I can put in the attic.

I live in the Conway area if that matters.
post #167 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 02:00 PM

I am in Tuscawilla with a Channel Master StealthTenna 3010 (no amplifier) in my attic feeding an HR10-250 with solid signals on all the Christmas stations. If you want, I can give you the DirecTivo's OTA signal strength numbers tonight.
post #168 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 02:07 PM

Barry,

You raise several good points about DVR's. I just completed a lengthy marketing research project on DVR's for a customer behavior class at UCF and found out several things.

The ability to skip commercials was identified by 75% of survey respondents as a feature they would like to have.

The largest area of growth is going to be in integrated DVR's such as those provided by DirecTV, Dish Network and local cable operators such as Bright House.

Penetration is still very low (Bright House only has DVR's in about 3.7% of its customers homes in the Florida market).

Skipping commercials is going to increase in concern as more people have these devices and advertisers start to feel the affects.

My prediction: Just as radio has survived TV, advertisers will survive the DVR. They will begin to target users in better ways, and in ways that will probably make you more likely to buy their products.

In case you did not know it, TiVo has been recording every single thing you watch down to how many times you replay a scene or what commercials you watch and which ones you skip. This information is VERY valuable to advertisers, and is likely to result in targeted ad placement based on your demographic. If you have a TiVo now you know that main menu an ad that looks like another menu selection, and if you have one I bet you have clicked on it! As they get better, those ad's will be targeted to what the household tends to buy. Believe me they will adapt, and I bet they will have better market penetration and more precise results than they have now.

My ultimate prediction is that as DVR's become so cheap for providers they are going to push them into homes for free because they want to collect information on their subscribers to sell to advertisers, or so they can sell ad space.

If you're curious to see my research my presentation is at http://www.petershipp.com/class/DVR_presREV2.ppt

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #169 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

OrlEngr,

I live in the Conway area and have a RS VU-75X antenna in my attic connected to the HR10-250 (Thank you CC.com!). I can get all the locals with no problems. Well, except for the PSIP problems but that isn't the fault of the antenna.

avN
post #170 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Until now, I was recording with a DISH 921; with all it's OTA problems, I haven't bothered to look into PSIP problems. So far, with my HR10-250, I haven't seen any local recording issues. What should I be looking for?
post #171 of 18907 Old 05-12-2004, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by CAL7
Until now, I was recording with a DISH 921; with all it's OTA problems, I haven't bothered to look into PSIP problems. So far, with my HR10-250, I haven't seen any local recording issues. What should I be looking for?

See this post and this reply.

The local UPN channel can't or won't send correct PSIP data. The problem is not limited to the HD-TiVo. It also occurred with my old Sony HD-200.
post #172 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 05:39 AM

Hi, I'm new to this thread as I'm moving out of S. Florida up to the C. Florida area. I'll be moving to the Spruce Creek CC community (Belleview) and need info on how people in that areas are picking up OTA signals. I'm spoiled coming from Delray Beach. I can pick up both Miami and WPB stations with a Silver Sensor on top of my wall unit. Any help on what works to get a stable signal would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Ken
post #173 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 07:00 AM

Peter,

I'd just like to add that Bright House Networks absolutely does NOT collect any usage information off of our DVR's.

Greg
post #174 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

... at least not yet ...

Peter seems to make a compelling case that you will sooner or later even if you don't realize it now. Basically, BH will have to collect this data or be at a competitive disadvantage. Am I interpreting that correctly Peter?

BTW, I believe the TiVo usage information is collected or stored in such a way that it cannot be tracked back to an individual user.
post #175 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by avNeophyte
... at least not yet ...

Peter seems to make a compelling case that you will sooner or later even if you don't realize it now. Basically, BH will have to collect this data or be at a competitive disadvantage. Am I interpreting that correctly Peter?

BTW, I believe the TiVo usage information is collected or stored in such a way that it cannot be tracked back to an individual user.

But with the Patriot Act and their asking libraries for reading list of members ....
post #176 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 AM

Greg,

Sorry if I represented Bright House collects user data, I was not trying to say that, only TiVo does this to my knowledge.

TiVo DOES NOT compile and release data in a way that allows anyone to see anything specific about a user. I do know that they have the ability to tell at what point in time and on what channel you paused, replayed, fast forwarded and rewinded. If they can tell that surely they can identify from which user that data came from. I'm sure if they were to release specific user data the ACLU and others would have them for lunch.

I am not saying any of my predictions are currently happening, they are purely hypothetical theories based on the research I performed.

Whether or not Bright House ever collects data is totally up to them, that will be interesting to see. I bet if they do it will be no different than TiVo.

This makes me wonder, if whoever operates your DVR service were colleting data about what you watched and placed ad's in the DVR that would appeal to you, would you find that an invasion of privacy or offensive? Would you not use the service if they did this even if they offered the DVR for free, and even if you continued to skip through commercials? Again I'm not saying anyone is doing this but I like to hypothesize about what's to come and this seems like a big one to me.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #177 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 08:28 AM

Peter,

You didn't represent it. I just wanted to preemptively nip any such speculation in the bud.

And what we collect with regard to private information is NOT up to us -- its governed by Federal regulations on cable operators that Tivo is not subject to. Once a year, every one of our subscribers gets a "privacy statement" from us describing the uses we can and cannot make with your personal data.

Anybody have a Tivo? Look through the paperwork and see what you've agreed to allow Tivo to do with your personal info. I'd be interested in hearing.

Greg
post #178 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 AM

Personally, I'd use a TiVo or DVR regardless of sharing of viewing habits, but that's just me. It's that life-changing...

Although there was no paperwork, I do recall something when going through initial setup to the effect of "by selecting yes, you agree to the privacy policy"

From the summary of the TiVo Privacy Policy at:
http://www.tivo.com/5.11.asp (and click on DVR with Tivo privacy policy)

" The TiVo DVR collects certain types of information from its users, including
Anonymous Viewing Information, Diagnostic Information, Commerce
Information, and Service Information (each as defined below).
TiVo has no way to access any of your Personally Identifiable Viewing
Information (as defined below) from your TiVo DVR without your prior
consent. Absent your consent, TiVo has no way of knowing what shows you-as an individual or household- have watched, recorded, or rated with Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down. ........
TiVo does collect Anonymous Viewing Information; that is, information
about viewing choices made while using your TiVo DVR, but that does not
identify you as an individual or household. In other words, there is no personally identifiable information associated with your Anonymous Viewing Information that could identify the Anonymous Viewing Information as coming from you or your household.
TiVo also collects Diagnostic Information from a small number of randomly
sampled TiVo DVRs for quality control purposes. If you subscribe to the TiVo
Plus service and don't want your Anonymous Viewing Information and
Diagnostic Information used in any way, simply tell us ..."
post #179 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Greg - I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth either nor was I representing what BHN will do. I was just speculating that BHN will probably have to do some monitoring of usage in the future.

Here is a summary of the TiVo privacy policy copied from their web site. Here is a link to their complete Privacy Policy.

Quote:

Does TiVo know what I'm watching?
TiVo knows how important personal privacy is to you, so we designed our system and established strict policies to help protect the privacy of your Personally Identifiable Viewing Information. In summary:

The TiVo DVR collects certain types of information from its users, including Anonymous Viewing Information, Diagnostic Information, Commerce Information, and Service Information. TiVo has no way to access any of your Personally Identifiable Viewing Information from your DVR without your prior consent. Absent your consent, the TiVo service has no way of knowing what shows you-as an individual or household- have watched, recorded, or rated with Thumbs Up(TM) or Thumbs Down(TM).

TiVo does collect Anonymous Viewing Information; that is, information about viewing choices made while using your DVR, but that does not identify you as an individual or household. In other words, there is no personally identifiable information associated with the viewing information that could identify the viewing information as coming from you or your household. TiVo also collects Diagnostic Information from a small number of randomly sampled DVRs for quality control purposes. If you don't want even your Anonymous Viewing Information or Diagnostic Information used in any way, simply tell us by calling our toll free number (1-877-367-8486).

If you affirmatively elect to engage in a commercial transaction using the TiVo service, such as by responding to an advertisement on the TiVo service, TiVo will collect and disclose your Commerce Information to the commerce partner fulfilling the transaction.

We encourage you to read our complete Privacy Policy.

post #180 of 18907 Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM

The big question remains, when is BHN gonna release their HD DVR?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page