AVS Forum banner

Orlando, Central FL - BHN/Spectrum

2M views 20K replies 588 participants last post by  Nayan 
#1 ·
Central Florida Spring 2004 thread

Welcome to the new Central Florida Spring 2004 thread!

The new season is on us and that means more HD!!! Several new HD channels are in the offering and more to come later this year. Hopefully the cable and satellite services will be able to deliver them to us.

Link back to the old Central Florida Winter 2004 thread for reference:

Winter 2004 Thread

WRDQ-DT has finally returned to the air. Fox should be in HD by late summer or early fall.

Here is a list of contacts for many local stations you may want to contact if the station is experiencing technical problems or your STB is encountering problems with their signal.

Orlando station's emails:

WESH: Richard.Monn@Hearst.com

WKCF: addalia@wb18.com

WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com

WKMG: Frank Torbert techquestions@local6.com or Frank Z webchannel@wkmg.com

WCEU: SCHWARB@dbcc.edu

WOFL/WRBW: Unlisted

WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org

WOPX: Unknown

WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu

WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

See less See more
#12,622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc /forum/post/20866341

I don't want to take credit for it ... but, I saw the Cincinnati article yesterday around 2pm. I clicked on the email link (to the reporter), and sent a link to the NY Post article. I'm thinking that his 2:30p update may have been from my email. Tells me he's a crappy reporter. He created his little article based on the many reports re: Goodell's visit to Panthers camp. Pretty lazy to not look for more recent articles on the subject. He must not know about that new invention called Google.

I'm still hoping for the best, but am prepared for the worst. Personally, I think the most encouraging sign is that we are NOT hearing anything out of TWC or the NFL about this. At least they are not sniping at each other in the media like they've been doing for the past 5 years.

reporters like that give decent reporters like myself a bad name!!!!

#12,623 ·
While we await word on NFL Network and LongHorn Network, we will be getting our Monthly Legal Notice by next Wednesday.

While you would assume it would arrive Wednesday the 31st, it did arrive a day early last month and most unusually on a Thursday.

I could see it arriving any of the next 4 weekdays and we did get it on Monday the 30th this time last year (I'm a nerd on stats).

Basically, like I've said before, were on Weather Channel HD watch especially since there appears to be nothing that would hold up a deal now that it's off the month to month deals.

I cannot see us getting a bigger update especially with the 26 HD channels that will be added over the next month.

Some other possibilities..............

We will probably hear about History International becoming H2.

Some TWC systems are moving their HD OD stuff to the SD section. Hopefully, that will not be us although it seems there are a few HD tabs on 1394 and 1501 so maybe BHN is going to have the SD and HD stuff in the same area while maintaining it in the HD section.

If we get Weather Channel HD, I see it being announced for early to mid-October.

It's always possible Nuvo TV HD or something on the BHN/TWC carriage deals gets added too but I feel if we get an update it will be Weather Channel HD solo.

Of course, the huge prize would be a breaking news article that we are finally getting NFL Network.

#12,624 ·
My son keeps asking when we're getting NFLN and I keep telling him I don't know. I am so hoping we'll get it by the time regular season starts and yes I realize that it's only a couple games extra a season but we are both sports nuts so any extra games would be a big plus. Not to mention an extra reason to make some spicy wings during the week

#12,625 ·
Nayan: My bet would be we would hear something about two weeks from now if something were to get done. We can forget about having it before preseason ends. Tell him to hang tight and that you'll keep googling for news. The best part of a deal will be that RedZone channel. You could see the Bucs score even when they have their blackouts this season.

On another note, looks like no notice today but we will get it by Wednesday next week. I don't get the paper Monday or Tuesday so I'll be checking here. It would be nice if Bright House followed Time Warner Cable and posted the notices online but unfortunately, they do not.

#12,626 ·
I just compiled a good bit of research. My cell phone, a Nokia N8, on T-Mobile, tethered to my Mac has more consistent Youtube streaming, than Bright House road runner. I have the 10Mbps road runner, and my phone has HSPA+, which is 3.5G (up to about the same max speed).

Phone

Bright House

Really? No wonder why I always feel my phone is faster than my home computer.

#12,631 ·
"Not recorded because the channel was not available. (8)"

What a load of rubbish! I saw the record light on! Too many missed shows! At least this sports event re-airs in a week, although overnight [when it "didn't record" last time.]

#12,633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc /forum/post/20876636

Bad news re: NFL Network? Check out the reply from KC re: talks have failed again between TWC and NFL. Hope this is erroneous. We shall see.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...CFrontpage%7Cs

at this point in time, i blame time warner and not the nfl network who has deals with every other major cable company!!!!!

#12,634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon /forum/post/20872399

I just compiled a good bit of research. My cell phone, a Nokia N8, on T-Mobile, tethered to my Mac has more consistent Youtube streaming, than Bright House road runner. I have the 10Mbps road runner, and my phone has HSPA+, which is 3.5G (up to about the same max speed).

Phone

Bright House

Really? No wonder why I always feel my phone is faster than my home computer.

. . . but the BH stats show higher video frame rate and fewer dropped (frames?)

#12,636 ·
xxfury2xx: With the OD programming we have, you can get by without a DVR. I certainly can. If you ever look on the SD OD channels in the 300's, you'll be amazed how much content their is.

We also get a good amount of HD Showcase and Primetime HD OD. If you have HBO, it's really great with all the movies and shows you can watch next day.

Toad: That's just speculation. A customer service rep could have told him the reader that. They aren't that reliable and it's possible they are still in talks although I think there is going to be a lot of anger if a deal does not get done because of Roger Goodell's teases and other cable co's getting a deal this time around. Even I hate how we don't get Sunday Ticket, it would be nice to have RedZone and have a new channel at the top of our wishlists.

Dah Finstah: I bet it gets done before The Summer Olympics next year.

#12,637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando /forum/post/20877545

xxfury2xx: With the OD programming we have, you can get by without a DVR. I certainly can. If you ever look on the SD OD channels in the 300's, you'll be amazed how much content their is.

We also get a good amount of HD Showcase and Primetime HD OD. If you have HBO, it's really great with all the movies and shows you can watch next day.

Toad: That's just speculation. A customer service rep could have told him the reader that. They aren't that reliable and it's possible they are still in talks although I think there is going to be a lot of anger if a deal does not get done because of Roger Goodell's teases and other cable co's getting a deal this time around. Even I hate how we don't get Sunday Ticket, it would be nice to have RedZone and have a new channel at the top of our wishlists.

Dah Finstah: I bet it gets done before The Summer Olympics next year.

I came to the same conclusion. I can just catch stuff when it gets put in the on demand sections. Do you know what HD box I should try and get when I go and exchange them tomorrow?

#12,638 ·
I've never gotten a regular HD box before so I don't have anything to recommend. I did have a Pioneer SD box and that never gave me any issues so maybe they might have one of those in an HD version? I doubt that you'll have any issues since it won't be a DVR so I wouldn't worry too much.

#12,639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc /forum/post/20876636

Bad news re: NFL Network? Check out the reply from KC re: talks have failed again between TWC and NFL. Hope this is erroneous. We shall see.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2011...CFrontpage%7Cs

I would not put much faith in that. It's just response "Letters to the Editor." mailbags. We have not heard an OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM TWC OR THE NFL, nor any problems in the negotiations this time around, nor bickering between each side like in years' past. This tells me that no news is good news, and they are really trying to get a deal done this time. I think they will.

Jack

#12,640 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man /forum/post/20878150

I would not put much faith in that. It's just response "Letters to the Editor." mailbags. We have not heard an OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM TWC OR THE NFL, nor any problems in the negotiations this time around, nor bickering between each side like in years' past. This tells me that no news is good news, and they are really trying to get a deal done this time. I think they will.

Jack

kind of like the Lifetime HD deal that took forever and bam all of a sudden most of the TWC divisions picked it up around the same time.

I was thinking that too about the NFL network as there has been no news at all other than refering to the early announcements this month.

NFL Network has a chance this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.