post #19081 of 19101 Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRC View Post
Call BH at 1-866-309-EASY (3279) or use the direct forum on DSL Reports. You have a signal problem, only BH can fix that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
Yeah, I suspected as much. But it is hard to do anything about it when not in front of the actual TV and cable boxes to see what is happening. Work is annoying that way.

Hopefully (?) it will still be a problem tomorrow morning and I can report it in real time...
So as it turns out, the problem happened again Friday night, so I went to the Diagnostics pages on the box - nothing super obvious looked wrong. I called BHN, and described the problem, and how long it had been occurring. They said they'd send out a tech Sunday morning (earliest possible, but fine by me anyway). So about two hours after calling BHN, the signal issue went away, and hasn't resurfaced. Figures...

Anyway, tech came by today (Sunday) as promised, right on time, and he mentioned my neighbor had complained at the exact same time about signal, so the tech figured it was something wrong with the street box/bollard, and like me, thought it was getting messed around by the low overnight temps. He was right - the splitter/booster was bad, and he said the signal coming into the box is pretty degraded - probably the whole street upstream of me is having issues off and on (I live at the end of a dead-end), and the feedline should probably be replaced. He said a crew would be out here within days, likely, possibly even today to have a look-see.

Anyway, no signal issues right now, and hopefully a new line means no issues for years!

Ya know, if you think about all the signalling that gets shoved down these fiber lines and coax cables (phone, internet, High Def TV), and the abuse the physical infrastructure takes from the environment, animals, and us stupid humans, it is a wonder it works at all...
Nayan likes this.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 19101 Old 12-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
4K TV report #1 :

OMG! The picture quality is ridiculous! We watched Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-Ray last night. I made it through the whole movie, not because it was a good movie, but because I was so enthralled by the images.

Watching the local news: the anchors look good but every video clip they play looks terrible. There is a lot of twitching in the videos.

We are watching football today and am having a hard time with the judder or lag or whatever you call it (remember we are coming from a rear-projection antique with none of these issues). Maybe it is because Jax suck so bad that it sucks the quality right out of the broadcast? LOL! I will have to tweak the settings so see if I can make it better.
Nayan likes this.
post #19083 of 19101 Old 12-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At least the colts are doing well.
post #19084 of 19101 Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has any noticed their internet is faster because It looks like bright house has upped their speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	421729  
post #19085 of 19101 Old 12-14-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Yep, they upped the speed for all tiers.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #19086 of 19101 Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Minor follow-up to my previous posts:

The signal was loud and clear all day yesterday, except for one complete loss of service (internet, phone and TV) for about 30 min. About an hour after that loss I was driving out of my street and saw a BHN service van parked up the street, so I assume they were checking out overall signal strength and hopefully replaced something that was degrading.

So if you don't hear from me in a while and I return to lurk mode, it is probably because everything is going just fine...
Nayan likes this.

post #19087 of 19101 Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya68 View Post
4K TV report #1 :

OMG! The picture quality is ridiculous! We watched Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-Ray last night. I made it through the whole movie, not because it was a good movie, but because I was so enthralled by the images.

Watching the local news: the anchors look good but every video clip they play looks terrible. There is a lot of twitching in the videos.
A classic case of "garbage in, garbage out". A Blu-ray should have sufficient detailed content that upscaling algorithms will be able to add (nicely faked) details, especially interpolating textures. Whereas news video clips seem to be so compressed even as 1080i/720p OTA transmissions displayed on a 1080p set that I would imagine they would not be ideal fodder for upscaling to 4K. Just like how some DVDs can upscale nicely for 1080p, but VHS is not so good - in theory the DVD and VHS tape were both NTSC...

Quote:
We are watching football today and am having a hard time with the judder or lag or whatever you call it (remember we are coming from a rear-projection antique with none of these issues). Maybe it is because Jax suck so bad that it sucks the quality right out of the broadcast? LOL! I will have to tweak the settings so see if I can make it better.
You probably have whatever motion interpolation mode enabled (they are usually on by default). TruMotion, MotionPlus, ClearMotion, stuff like that. It can make some stuff look smoother, but can also introduce artifacts. Or maybe the feed was just bad - I did have that game on for a while, but I wasn't paying much attention to it, so I can't comment on whether issues were present in the feed.

post #19088 of 19101 Old 12-20-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This coming week, it's possible we will see a preview of our notice via Michigan since the 1st of January is a Thursday. Friday is also a possibility for our notice.

It's possible they will add NUVO TV HD or something like Showtime FamilyZone HD, Flix HD or Daystar HD.

More than likely, we will not get anything but an updated MTM list.

As always, It's still good to keep up with these though.
Nayan likes this.
post #19089 of 19101 Old 12-21-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
looks like TWC Dallas is pushing the digital adapters out now more widely to go all digital soon.

Also looks like we are getting Movies! network finally on TWC Dallas.

noticed that Gunnsion and Telluride finally got their local channels in HD after all these years

also the Idaho, Washington, and Colorado TWC systems switch to the NCL in January.

TWC has been moving channels around in dallas on the QAM carriers they moved Golf Channel SD from 645MHz to 669MHz.

also they are getting ready for a new ODN release soon.
Nayan likes this.
post #19090 of 19101 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
So if you don't hear from me in a while and I return to lurk mode, it is probably because everything is going just fine...
Yet another follow-up:

BHN seems to have replaced the cable running from the street box/bollard to my house, and replaced the powered splitter on the side of the house. They did that last week, and since then, there has been no interruption, and PQ has been as good as I can expect (i.e. any deficiencies can be attributed to over-compression at the source).

Side note: since switching out the DVRs I have noticed better menuing, more space, and better responsiveness. I don't know why it took me so long to swap them out...oh wait, now I remember...inertia (a.k.a. laziness).

post #19091 of 19101 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I got this from Feb1003

Bakersfield just got some Spanish Language Channels added

TVE Internacional ch 587 sd only
ViendoMovies ch 588 sd only
Antena 3 Interacional ch 589 sd only
CBTV Michoacán ch 590 sd only
Fox Life ch 591 sd only
HITN ch 592 sd only
TeleN ch 593 sd only
Multimedios ch 594 sd and ch 1594 HD
Canal Once ch 595 sd only
Estudio 5 ch 596 sd only
TBN Enlace ch 597 sd only
Teleformula ch 598 sd and ch 1598 HD

they also added Video Rola HD on ch 1623 the SD version has been showing for some time. I just call Brighthouse they tell me this added channels are part of the Spanish package.

We have some of these but not all. I'd be surprised if we do not get them soon.
post #19092 of 19101 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Ever since we got the new TV, we get a huge lag between the time we change the channel and when it actually shows up on the screen. While it decides to show the channel, the TV shows "no signal". Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, the banner stays around sometimes. Anybody else with this issue?

Last edited by Maya68; Yesterday at 07:47 PM.
post #19093 of 19101 Old Today, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Ever since we got the new TV, we get a huge lag between the time we change the channel and when it actually shows up on the screen. While it decides to show the channel, the TV shows "no signal". Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, the banner stays around sometimes. Anybody else with this issue?
Assuming you have a hi-def TV, then you probably have several video output resolutions selected in the cable box. So, in your cable box settings I suggest the following: Settings - High Definition - Output Resolution - and then select only one of the available output resolution settings, such as either 1080i or 720p, then press the "C" button to save this change, then see how your TV responds. If your TV is then responding immediately to your channel changes, you can later go back into the same settings area, and pick which resolution setting looks the best on your TV, which I believe will be either 720p or 1080i. For the banner, you can go into the cable box settings and change the duration time that the banner stays on the screen to a shorter duration. Once you have made this settings change, if the banner continues to "stay around sometimes," then you may have a problem with your cable box, which you can discuss on the phone with a tech rep at BHN. Good luck.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #19094 of 19101 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post
This coming week, it's possible we will see a preview of our notice via Michigan since the 1st of January is a Thursday. Friday is also a possibility for our notice.

It's possible they will add NUVO TV HD or something like Showtime FamilyZone HD, Flix HD or Daystar HD.

More than likely, we will not get anything but an updated MTM list.

As always, It's still good to keep up with these though.
Here's the info from the Michigan notice:

MTM list: NHL Center Ice, NHL Network, and Youtoo.

Agreements with the Weather Channel and TV One expire 12/31, and BHN "may have to cease carriage if [their] authority to continue is withheld" while they work out a new agreement.

On 1/1, WGN is replaced by WGN America. Also, WGN America's analog channel will be dropped on or after 1/27 and WGN America SD & HD will move from the Basic to the Standard tier.

On or after 2/5, the following services will be added to SDV:
BabyFirst, ch 113
BabyFirst HD, ch 313
Nayan likes this.
post #19095 of 19101 Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Assuming you have a hi-def TV, then you probably have several video output resolutions selected in the cable box. So, in your cable box settings I suggest the following: Settings - High Definition - Output Resolution - and then select only one of the available output resolution settings, such as either 1080i or 720p, then press the "C" button to save this change, then see how your TV responds. If your TV is then responding immediately to your channel changes, you can later go back into the same settings area, and pick which resolution setting looks the best on your TV, which I believe will be either 720p or 1080i. For the banner, you can go into the cable box settings and change the duration time that the banner stays on the screen to a shorter duration. Once you have made this settings change, if the banner continues to "stay around sometimes," then you may have a problem with your cable box, which you can discuss on the phone with a tech rep at BHN. Good luck.

Thanks! I guess I will have to make a choice between 720p and 1080i...
post #19096 of 19101 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Thank you Yimitz! Let's hope there will be no drama between BHN and The Weather Channel .

Merry Christmas to you all (if you celebrate it, that is) .

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #19097 of 19101 Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks! I guess I will have to make a choice between 720p and 1080i...
You should choose the native resolution of your TV. If it is a 1080 type then choose 1080 only on you Converter box. TV will take care of itself
Maya68 likes this.
post #19098 of 19101 Old Today, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In case anyone doesn't follow the forum on DSL Reports, the copy bit is now off, except on premium channels. Which means you have more software choices for your HTPC.
post #19099 of 19101 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post
Here's the info from the Michigan notice:

MTM list: NHL Center Ice, NHL Network, and Youtoo.

Agreements with the Weather Channel and TV One expire 12/31, and BHN "may have to cease carriage if [their] authority to continue is withheld" while they work out a new agreement.

On 1/1, WGN is replaced by WGN America. Also, WGN America's analog channel will be dropped on or after 1/27 and WGN America SD & HD will move from the Basic to the Standard tier.

On or after 2/5, the following services will be added to SDV:
BabyFirst, ch 113
BabyFirst HD, ch 313
Yimitz,

Thanks so much for posting this.

Will have to let wvvolfan know Babyfirst HD is available.

Our notice could come on Friday and we probably will get the same spanish-language channels that Bakersfield got yesterday (Michigan does not get Spanish-Language Channels).

Merry Christmas Yimitz and thank you as always!
post #19100 of 19101 Old Today, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Thank you Yimitz! Let's hope there will be no drama between BHN and The Weather Channel .

Merry Christmas to you all (if you celebrate it, that is) .
Thanks! We do, and the same to you and yours.
post #19101 of 19101 Old Today, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post
Yimitz,

Thanks so much for posting this.

Will have to let wvvolfan know Babyfirst HD is available.

Our notice could come on Friday and we probably will get the same spanish-language channels that Bakersfield got yesterday (Michigan does not get Spanish-Language Channels).

Merry Christmas Yimitz and thank you as always!
My pleasure. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here. It's 42 degrees outside as I type this (and no snow!), so while it's not quite Florida weather, I'll take it, especially since we have a 250 mile round trip drive tomorrow.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception