Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 641 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
post #19201 of 19227 Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I miss the days of getting new hd channels. If only the channels that don't have a hd will hd like teennick for example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19202 of 19227 Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One recording, done around midnight Monday had a drop video out. We didn't see any during live programs.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk.
post #19203 of 19227 Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
NHL Network & NHL Center Ice was not listed as month-to-month in today's Socal notice. If there was indeed a contract signed, then do not expect any changes as there is no mention of the channel moving to the Preferred tier. I am going to assume that the NHL Network will remain only in the Sports tier at least until the next contract.
post #19204 of 19227 Old 03-19-2015, 04:21 AM

Watching live and recorded last night. No obvious problems.

post #19205 of 19227 Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
I had had the opportunity to talk to Bright house Rep. Was told that they pushed out a software upgrade last week (for Brevard County Fla) and may have cause the problem we are seeing. First we notice video drop outs. The screen would go dark and we would see a Vizio menu bar telling us that there wasn't any signal from the cable box and sometimes at start up we saw a message that the TV was receiving a signal with an unsupported resolution (!). It was more like a blink than a pause. But before that (saw this on a program I recorded last Tuesday) there were audio drop outs. The audio portion would just stop and the sound bar lights would go out. This was a longer phenominum than the video drop outs. Bright house send out a reset for our (2 year old to us) DVR. I see it's complete - need to try and see if that solved anything (do I sound confident). Will post more if we have any other to report.

There was no update last week so the cause is something else. If you want me to look into it post here https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect

~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~
post #19206 of 19227 Old 03-20-2015, 02:10 AM

I have already posted a whine there. Yesterday the live reception was bad so I disconnected the dvr. Restarted and saw all of the same plus the dvr responce to the remote was delayed. At first all I got was On Demand episodes (whats up with that!)
It was so bad I gave up on live (maybe a day more off will help?) and watched a Blu-ray on another TV.

post #19207 of 19227 Old 03-20-2015, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
I have already posted a whine there. Yesterday the live reception was bad so I disconnected the dvr. Restarted and saw all of the same plus the dvr responce to the remote was delayed. At first all I got was On Demand episodes (whats up with that!)
It was so bad I gave up on live (maybe a day more off will help?) and watched a Blu-ray on another TV...
You think a different DVR might be the solution? Over the past 15 yrs or so, I've swapped out around 10 of them due to performance glitches that suddenly appear.
Nayan likes this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #19208 of 19227 Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I agree with Sgooter, if you already tried reboots and unplugging with no results, then possibly a new box is in order. I too swapped boxes a number of times due to issues. Sometimes they just decide to not behave properly anymore .

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two. Crap I say
post #19209 of 19227 Old 03-20-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
dotsdavid: I miss those days too even though I saw them coming.

What really frustrates a lot of us are those HD holdouts but they are mostly channels at the bottom of the those big conglomerates that own everything.

TeenNick and Chiller are perfect examples. I really hope both finally get it together.

WackyPacks: That would be good news. Hopefully, that is indeed the case. It's still possible and I think likely that NHL Network will move off Sports Pass by the start of next season though as that could have been in the deal.
post #19210 of 19227 Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post
dotsdavid: I miss those days too even though I saw them coming.

What really frustrates a lot of us are those HD holdouts but they are mostly channels at the bottom of the those big conglomerates that own everything.

TeenNick and Chiller are perfect examples. I really hope both finally get it together.

WackyPacks: That would be good news. Hopefully, that is indeed the case. It's still possible and I think likely that NHL Network will move off Sports Pass by the start of next season though as that could have been in the deal.
hmm I don't think we would see any tier changes for the NHL Network till maybe mayish maybe? if not next season.

TWC has some updates planned for April in a few areas: finally launching VOD in Telluride and Gunnison Colorado (they got their HD versions of OTA local channels in december) and the new lineup in January)

El Centro California is adding 23 new HD channels (Which may or may not be SDV as the wording mentions tuning adapter) (maybe they mean HD digital adapter?) that system is 750MHz compared to Yuma's 860MHz unless they upgraded it to 860MHz recently.

El Centro Notice:
On or around April 22, 2015, the following services may be made available in an HD format. ABC Family, channel 23/122, Standard TV tier; AMC, channel 56/105, Standard TV tier; Cartoon Network, channel 44/264, Standard TV tier; CNN, channel 50/201, Standard TV tier; Comedy Central, channel 35/113, Standard TV tier; Disney, channel 22/251, Standard TV tier; Food Network, channel 37/162, Standard TV tier; Fox News Channel, channel 47/202, Standard TV tier; FX, channel 55/108, Standard TV tier; Hallmark Channel, channel 64/123, Standard TV tier; HGTV, channel 36/160, Standard TV tier; HLN, channel 46/204, Standard TV tier; Lifetime, channel 24/170, Standard TV tier; MSNBC, channel 48/203, Standard TV tier; MTV, channel 60/118, Standard TV tier; National Geographic, channel 129, Variety Pass Plus; Nickelodeon, channel 45/258, Standard TV tier; QVC, channel 4/480, Starter TV tier; Spike TV, channel 21/116, Standard TV tier; TCM, channel 631, Var Pass Plus tier; TLC, channel 42/166, Standard TV tier; VH1, channel 59/117, Standard TV tier. All services may require two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...el-centro.html

also they are getting E! HD on or around April 8th either TWC has opened up 8 QAMs in El Centro for new HD they are going to be using SDV and this is likely the first round of channel adds.
post #19211 of 19227 Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Does anyone here use a Tivo with a BHN cableCARD? I am considering getting a Tivo instead of using the BHN DVR and would like to hear about experiences you have had.
post #19212 of 19227 Old 03-21-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya68 View Post
Does anyone here use a Tivo with a BHN cableCARD? I am considering getting a Tivo instead of using the BHN DVR and would like to hear about experiences you have had.
I have been using a Tivo Premiere with cablecard since Sept. 2010. Very happy with it once cable card and tuning adapter were set up properly. Hopefully BHN has people who know how to this by now. Much rather have the Tivo than any BHN box I am currently aware of. Pretty much set and forget once setup properly except you need to reboot the tuning adapter occasionally.
post #19213 of 19227 Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
I have been using a Tivo Premiere with cablecard since Sept. 2010. Very happy with it once cable card and tuning adapter were set up properly. Hopefully BHN has people who know how to this by now. Much rather have the Tivo than any BHN box I am currently aware of. Pretty much set and forget once setup properly except you need to reboot the tuning adapter occasionally.
I did a very cursory search of getting a TIVO and if I understand it correctly (please correct if wrong), you lay out $400 for a TIVO box,(Roamio+) then add $15 monthly TIVO fee and then $5 BHN fee for cable card and tuning adapter. Does BHN add any other fees for use? Fuzzy math says for the first year, that equals $53/month. I was thinking of replacing one of my DVR's but this can't be right is it??

Last edited by the64gto; 03-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #19214 of 19227 Old 03-22-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Not quite . You buy the Tivo box itself (which can run from $150 to $400) and then you have two choices: spend $500 for what's called a 'lifetime' sub, or pay the regular $15/month sub to them with a commitment of one year. BHN charges roughly $3 for the card but the tuning adapter is free.

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two. Crap I say
post #19215 of 19227 Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It's been a while but I seem to remember having a bit over $500 total. This includes a lifetime (of the box) subscription. Cable card is $2.95 month. Lifetime was less than normal since I found a coupon code for some thing like $200. If you follow the Tivo threads in the DVR section, Tivo and other sellers will offer good deals from time to time as well as discounts on monthly and/or lifetime service.
post #19216 of 19227 Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Not quite . You buy the Tivo box itself (which can run from $150 to $400) and then you have two choices: spend $500 for what's called a 'lifetime' sub, or pay the regular $15/month sub to them with a commitment of one year. BHN charges roughly $3 for the card but the tuning adapter is free.
OK....So 400+500+36=936 936/12= $78/month for first year. If I get a TIVO, I am getting a new one, not flee bay one.
Nayan likes this.
post #19217 of 19227 Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
It's been a while but I seem to remember having a bit over $500 total. This includes a lifetime (of the box) subscription. Cable card is $2.95 month. Lifetime was less than normal since I found a coupon code for some thing like $200. If you follow the Tivo threads in the DVR section, Tivo and other sellers will offer good deals from time to time as well as discounts on monthly and/or lifetime service.
OK..will watch that thread for a while
post #19218 of 19227 Old 03-23-2015, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the64gto View Post
OK....So 400+500+36=936 936/12= $78/month for first year. If I get a TIVO, I am getting a new one, not flee bay one.
You forgot to substract the monthly BHN fee for the DVR you are returning. :-) I am not sure about paying the "lifetime" Tivo fee, especially not if it is only for the lifetime of the box. You would not see a benefit until after 33 months of using that particular box. I would not go that way, if I decide to upgrade at some point before the 33 months are up, I lose money. So for me, the math looks more like (unless I find a discount code for the lifetime service):

$400 one time fee for the box (I would not bundle into my monthly cost)
$3/month for the card rental
$15/month for Tivo service
($8)/month for returned BHN DVR

That is $10 monthly more than I pay now, for a better DVR with more tuners. Not too bad in my mind I think I will start looking out for sales/discount codes.
Nayan likes this.
post #19219 of 19227 Old 03-23-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^ You need to verify this in the Tivo threads but I remember various posters there saying that Tivo will transfer lifetime to a new box at prorated $ if you buy a new box from Tivo when they send you special offers to upgrade (i.e Premiere to Roamio). Offers from them are frequent if you already have a Tivo. Also, increasing the HD size in the box or by external added drive is easy. One thing potential Tivo buyers need to remember is Tivo's business is making and selling STBs. BHN and others buy STBs in mass for the lowest bid and tack a fee onto your bill to pay for them. I view this as providing much less incentive to get the best product for customers.
Nayan likes this.
post #19220 of 19227 Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya68 View Post
You forgot to substract the monthly BHN fee for the DVR you are returning. :-) I am not sure about paying the "lifetime" Tivo fee, especially not if it is only for the lifetime of the box. You would not see a benefit until after 33 months of using that particular box. I would not go that way, if I decide to upgrade at some point before the 33 months are up, I lose money. So for me, the math looks more like (unless I find a discount code for the lifetime service):

$400 one time fee for the box (I would not bundle into my monthly cost)
$3/month for the card rental
$15/month for Tivo service
($8)/month for returned BHN DVR

That is $10 monthly more than I pay now, for a better DVR with more tuners. Not too bad in my mind I think I will start looking out for sales/discount codes.
The $400 one time fee is a cost of getting TIVO service. What if BHN offered $400 one time fee to sell you a single DVR and added $3+$15 a month for service after that. No way I would take that deal either My fuzzy math figures were looking at the cost of getting/starting TIVO service, it has to include the up front costs, I just looked at it over the first year. The second year and beyond, those monthly costs would steadily go down to a point where you said 33 months to break even. Unlike DTV where the 2nd year cost go up quite a bit (month 13-24). I have 2 dvr's at present, changing out to 2 TIVO's or equivalent equipment to service 4 TV's makes my head hurt. I seen an option for TIVO ??that if you paid by the year for the service, it would equate to $12.95 a month. ?? I continually challenge bhn services against DTV, Dish, TIVO, netflix, Google, amazon and OTA and combinations of them for what I consider a better deal for me. The search continues. Enjoying this comparison of services though!!

Last edited by the64gto; 03-23-2015 at 07:47 AM.
post #19221 of 19227 Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I switched to DirecTV but still have BHN for my internet. I hated being nickled and dimed for everything and I had had enough. It is good to look at all of you're options though and I did the same thing. I actually felt sad leaving BHN, since I've had them when they were CableVision way back in the day but I am much happier and feel I get more value for my money now.

Tivo is a viable option, but remember there is no On Demand available if you use/need it.

post #19222 of 19227 Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I switched to DirecTV but still have BHN for my internet. I hated being nickled and dimed for everything and I had had enough. It is good to look at all of you're options though and I did the same thing. I actually felt sad leaving BHN, since I've had them when they were CableVision way back in the day but I am much happier and feel I get more value for my money now.

Tivo is a viable option, but remember there is no On Demand available if you use/need it.
No On Demand......Crap I say. DTV has on demand? How does that work for you? (believe it comes thru the internet?)
post #19223 of 19227 Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I do have it and yes it comes through the internet. Mine is hardwired and I have no stuttering or freezing while watching.

post #19224 of 19227 Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Michigan notice showed up a tad early this month.

Youtoo is the only thing on the MTM list.

The carriage agreement with Reelz expires April 30.

On or after May 1, Vivid TV will be added as a Premium Subscription channel (848) and also will be available via Premium Subscription On Demand. As far as I can tell, this is a "adult entertainment" service (and its placement 'way up in the 840s on our system reflects that).

That's it for this month.
post #19225 of 19227 Old 03-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I do have it and yes it comes through the internet. Mine is hardwired and I have no stuttering or freezing while watching.
Congrats on the switch!! Glad you were able to finally make the move. I wish I could (no offense, Gary). BHN seems intent on working on everything other than the user interface. DirecTV blows them away in that category. So many more options and features. Custom guides, PIP on some boxes, Sports scores and weather widgets, PPVs in 1080p, etc., etc., etc.. If I ever leave the condo building I am in, I am going back to DirecTV.
Nayan likes this.
post #19226 of 19227 Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I love it .

post #19227 of 19227 Unread Today, 03:42 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post
The Michigan notice showed up a tad early this month.

Youtoo is the only thing on the MTM list.

The carriage agreement with Reelz expires April 30.

On or after May 1, Vivid TV will be added as a Premium Subscription channel (848) and also will be available via Premium Subscription On Demand. As far as I can tell, this is a "adult entertainment" service (and its placement 'way up in the 840s on our system reflects that).

That's it for this month.
I looked it up and vivid TV is 100% adult entertainment channel like playboy TV is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page