Orlando, FL - BHN - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 101Likes
post #19441 of 19454 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yimitz: I figured. Pretty cool responsibility.

We will have to see if we get a notice tomorrow. I think they legally have too especially with channels on MTM's. If we do not, we need to make our voices heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 19454 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post
Yimitz: I figured. Pretty cool responsibility.

We will have to see if we get a notice tomorrow. I think they legally have too especially with channels on MTM's. If we do not, we need to make our voices heard.
There has to be some common problem since no one's got theirs yet. Not sure what though.

Sound mixing is fun but challenging. We recently got a new digital board that I'm still learning all the ins and outs of all the new features. Gating, compression/expansion, equalization etc. can all be done right in the board for any or all channels instead of using outboard components. Here's what my office looks like a couple of Sundays a month:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg
post #19443 of 19454 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post
There has to be some common problem since no one's got theirs yet. Not sure what though.

Sound mixing is fun but challenging. We recently got a new digital board that I'm still learning all the ins and outs of all the new features. Gating, compression/expansion, equalization etc. can all be done right in the board for any or all channels instead of using outboard components. Here's what my office looks like a couple of Sundays a month:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg
Perhaps.

That looks awesome though.
post #19444 of 19454 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Indy's notice is on The Indy Star website and it includes no new HD

http://classifieds.indystar.com/cate...bright%20house

However, we do have some news on The Month to Month Agreement Front

Off MTM's

Outdoor Channel

Note: This could be a misprint as several channels including Outdoor Channel seem to always agree to short-term deals.

We also do not know if TELEN is off MTM's as I do not believe Indiana has it.

Expire September 30

Turner Networks (Boomerang, Boomerang en Espanol, Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network en Espanol, CNN, CNN en Espanol, CNN International, HLN, TBS, TCM, TNT, truTV)
Jewelry TV
NHL Center Ice/NHL Network
TV One

Notes: We knew The Turner Networks were expiring soon and now we know what is hopefully a drop dead date. A deal would clear the way for APP access, HD On Demand and Boomerang and/or CNN International for systems that do not already have it.

Jewelry TV and NHL Center Ice/Network are back on MTM's after what appears to be short-term deals. I would not be surprised if September 30 is a drop dead date for NHL Center Ice and NHL Network. A deal would clear the way for it to be added on Bakersfield systems and likely come off of Sports Pass.

TV One will either agree to a new deal or go on MTM's for as long as a few years.

Conclusion

Since we got no new HD, the theory continues to arise that BHN might be waiting to see what happens with the Charter merger before adding some of the newly launched HD channels like Chiller, Discovery Life, Centric, LOGO and Teen Nick.

The good news is we have a potential drop dead for The Turner Networks who are know to pull channels in some cases. A new deal would get us some benefits.

The NHL Network MTM's sucks for Bakersfield customers and those who want it off Sports Pass.

In the end, we have some dates to watch and a question to ponder regarding the Charter merger.
post #19445 of 19454 Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Since you really don't watch that much TV, have you checked out Sling? It doesn't have Bravo, but it does have Food Network, Travel, Lifetime, History and ESPN. They also have an add-on sports package that would cover what you need. You're paying an insane amount for things you probably really don't need/use.
You know when you price things out cord cutting is still hard. With Sling, $20 + HBO and two other $5 packages comes to $45 and that's only one stream which kills the kids (who probably get Cable while at College). I guess if HBO I got through Roku (is that up and running yet) for $15 that should eliminate the single stream issue because sports are usually not watched separately though my wife often watches something while we watch sports.

If I price the Uverse package it's 144 a month and given the rate package it shows internet as $77 for 45 MB dedicated.

That means U450 is roughly 77 too (including 3 STBs) and supposedly I can watch 4 football games at once with the PIP type function (not sure on that).

In any case if I paid $45 for SlingTV I'm only saving $32 vs. having every damn channel under the sun, a wireless receiver, and apps for all my phones (5 Samsungs, 2 Samsungs).

So because of sports.... Now once the kids are old enough and moved out and pay their own way, Sling might be perfect.

A co-worker also mentioned if I wanted to watch Browns games since my parents still live up there, purchase a Slingbox and route the games back to my TV. Illegal as hell I am sure but they are on DirectTV.
post #19446 of 19454 Old Today, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hope the add the Viacom HD and tell us after
post #19447 of 19454 Old Today, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Tada! A notice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flty5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	916722  

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #19448 of 19454 Old Today, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

@pronk : In that case I would just stick with Uverse then. I have Brighthouse for internet only and went to DirecTV. For Lightning 75 I am paying almost $100/month and for D* I am paying close to $75/month. I would cut the cord but I really like my sports and I like to talk about my favorite programs right after they air, so being out of the loop would be a huge disadvantage for me so it stays .

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #19449 of 19454 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll post this in HOTP also:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...college-extra/

post #19450 of 19454 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Nayan,

Awesome!

Our notice furthers by theory on the post above. TWC/BHN has recently been able to renew agreements that were expiring but now the MTM is extended a bit with those International channels on it along with some channels like Jewelry TV and NHL Center Ice/Network coming back on MTM's after a short time off of them.

I really believe that this and them not announcing available HD channels (Remember these usually got added pretty quickly when they became available) means BHN and maybe TWC are waiting for this merger's fate before deciding on anything.

A big question will be if September is a drop dead date for NHL Network and The Turner Networks.

Until then, all we can do is hope for some action.
Nayan likes this.
post #19451 of 19454 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wish I had better news for both you and David, but I think they're going to wait until the merger happens (if it does) before adding things. If that's the case you guys will have a very long wait for anything new.

post #19452 of 19454 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The merger is probably taking so long because they are also merging with time warner
post #19453 of 19454 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mergers take a very long time, as they require approval from not only shareholders but from the Gov't too. It was just over a year for the AT&T/DirecTV merger to be approved, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one takes a little longer, considering all of the parties involved.

post #19454 of 19454 Unread Today, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

And it is far from certain the FCC will allow this one.

Regardless, it's frustrating as it could be holding up........

1) New HD Channels (Chiller, Centric, LOGO, Teen Nick, Discovery Life, etc.)

2) It could delay the addition of goodies from the Turner Networks via a new deal (Boomerang, HD On Demand, App Access, etc.)

3) It likely delays NHL Network for Bakersfield and it coming off of Sports Pass for the rest of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception