Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #181 of 18988 Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 AM
mwk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greg, any update on ESPN HD, I'm dying here missing all these Hockey games in HD and Football is coming soon. My ESPN and ESPN2 look horrible.

Your help here on this forum is the main reason I've been sticking with Brighthouse, but I Don't think I can make another season with out ESPN HD

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 18988 Old 05-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Greg, any update on ESPN HD. . .

And ESPN just added a 3rd HD truck which should insure that most of the big events they cover will be HD. And don't forget their new facility is going online 6/7 meaning HD SportsCenter (with Baseball Tonight, etc soon to follow)!
Quote:
from ESPN.com:
High Definition television takes another great step forward when SportsCenter, the nation's leading news and information program, comes to ESPN HD at 11 p.m. ET on June 7. SportsCenter will feature a whole new look, with a new set in ESPN's brand new Digital Center, plus new graphics and a whole new look and feel. Every SportsCenter ... every day ...on ESPN HD ... starting June 7 at 11 p.m. ET.

This is must see HDTV!
post #183 of 18988 Old 05-14-2004, 11:56 AM

I've got a meeting next Friday that will be attended by the programming reps. ESPN HD is the first question on my list.

No word on the HD DVR yet...but it's close. We may have a few other things up our sleeve as well :-).

Greg
post #184 of 18988 Old 05-14-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

We are having a lunch gathering on June 5th. All Central Florida AVS forum people are invited to attend. Meeting details are here.

Please RSVP to barry@orlandodigital.tv

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #185 of 18988 Old 05-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We may have a few other things up our sleeve as well :-) .

You're killin' me!
post #186 of 18988 Old 05-15-2004, 01:55 PM

Voom

Is anyone hooked up to VOOM yet? Seems like their pricing is starting to be competitive. Would like to hear comments about VOOM if you have any. Thanks
post #187 of 18988 Old 05-15-2004, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Kenni_o
Hi, I'm new to this thread as I'm moving out of S. Florida up to the C. Florida area. I'll be moving to the Spruce Creek CC community (Belleview) and need info on how people in that areas are picking up OTA signals. I'm spoiled coming from Delray Beach. I can pick up both Miami and WPB stations with a Silver Sensor on top of my wall unit. Any help on what works to get a stable signal would be greatly appreciated.

I live just down the road in Belleview. I'm a service tech for the A/C company that does all the work in SCCC. I'm in the park almost daily.

As for the HD OTA, I can't help you, but I'd be interested in hearing the answer from somebody that did. I have BHN and am very satisfied with them. I think your only choice for cable is Galaxy in Spruce Creek, but I may be wrong about that.
post #188 of 18988 Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 AM

Greg: "a few things up my sleeve". Let's see: pay for view HD? or HD VOD (both).

Starz HD, TMC HD, Encore HD, Bravo HD, Max HD.

Just guessing.
post #189 of 18988 Old 05-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gatorguy
I live just down the road in Belleview. I'm a service tech for the A/C company that does all the work in SCCC. I'm in the park almost daily.

As for the HD OTA, I can't help you, but I'd be interested in hearing the answer from somebody that did. I have BHN and am very satisfied with them. I think your only choice for cable is Galaxy in Spruce Creek, but I may be wrong about that.

You're not... I know someone who lives there and they were very unhappy with the cable service (and very envious of my BHN Cable), they went with D* instead.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #190 of 18988 Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 AM

I posted a few months back, disappointed with my E* PQ. Well, I finally switched to BHN last week and, yeah, there's some fuzziness on some of the analog channels, but it's more than made up for by the high quality on all the digital & movie channels. Further, any negative PQ issues on analog channels are absolutely minor and totally watchable, especially when compared to the compressed softness of E*.

Now, as for BHN's HD content; I knew I was going to be happy just by dint of having more programming, but, honestly, I'm amazed with how much I've got. Sopranos last night was awesome (although it did suffer from some VERY minor compression artifacts) and, well, that's all.

My name is Revox and I love cable. I know lots of people have major PQ issues with cable, but I'll say unequivocally that BHN doesn't suffer from those. Their CSR's could use some work -- and consistent training -- but that's my only complaint so far.

Now, where's my HD-DVR??!!?!?!? I hate having two boxes.
post #191 of 18988 Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg - anything new on the TNT-HD? TW put them on so was hoping you guys would have them too

Know you said something up the sleeve, but with the best NBA playoff month ever behind us (my opinion) I was hoping to see some of the best to come in HD

Thanks - and yeah by the way tell them that at least two people on this board has said not another season without ESPN-HD - this will make you loose customers - no way that I go through Sunday Nights and half a hockey season (Strike) again without ESPN-HD.....
post #192 of 18988 Old 05-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Greg - anything new on the TNT-HD? TW put them on so was hoping you guys would have them too

Know you said something up the sleeve, but with the best NBA playoff month ever behind us (my opinion) I was hoping to see some of the best to come in HD

Considering TNT is owned by Time Warner... I assumed that TNT would be added once it is debuted in a few weeks. Nothing is posted on BHN or TNT's website though (that I found) about TNT-HD, which makes me nervous.

Speaking of basketball... I feel that ABC dropped the ball. All of these nationally televised NBA games all year... none in HD. Now that the playoff's are here, still NONE ONE on ABC-HD. Really poor on their part.

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #193 of 18988 Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Patience, Grasshopper... in time all shall be revealed.

Greg
post #194 of 18988 Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Greg might be refering to VOIP with the ability to bring your landlines number. Sounds interesting enough..............
post #195 of 18988 Old 05-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Ok, now I can tell this part...

Starting June 24, we will be adding TNT HD to our HD lineup!

TNT HD will begin previewing on May 21, just in time to watch the NBA Western Conference Finals. In addition to extensive NBA coverage, TNT HD offers the hit show Law & Order, TNT Originals and blockbuster movies. Check out channel 1311 to view a combination of exciting programming and see that TNT HD means more than just high def."

TNT HD will be available to all HD customers at no additional charge, rather like Discovery is currently.

Sorry, no word on any of the other stuff yet.

Greg
post #196 of 18988 Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! TNT was the channel I wanted to see the most.

post #197 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 06:49 AM
mwk

Greg, you are killing me TNT HD we need ESPN HD
post #198 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 08:27 AM

Greg,

I know the 8000HD is still a way off. I am in Marion County and have the first 3250HD with firewire. I would like to obtain a second for now until 8000HD availability. I have been told I am lucky enough to have one.

Could an act of greg change this? When do you expect general availability of the 3250HD in my area?

So far I love the 3250HD it beats by PACE box in PQ and general responsivenes. I find I am wanting to watch TV through the 3250 instead of using it for dedicated recording and use my pace for watching.

Is it just a matter of time before the SA box replaces the PACE??
post #199 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Greg - I for one am definately excited about the extra basketball games in HD - now don't take the wrong way since I think it must be pretty clear that ESPN-HD is by far the most wanted HD channel

Thanks!
post #200 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope everyone who is requesting ESPN-HD realizes they have almost no HD content. I had ESPN-HD on DirecTV for a while and after football season ended it was definitely not worth any additional money. They stretch all the 4:3 SD content wide instead of giving the viewer a choice of aspect ratio.

ESPN HD SCHEDULE

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...s/espnhd/index

Some days have zero HD content and most days have 2 to 3 hours maximum. Sportscenter will be nothing more than 2 talking heads in HD rolling in primarily analog sourced SD hi-lites. I for one am glad BHN is fighting Disney's attempt to charge us a double digit increase for so little HD content. Rates do not ever go down and we will be stuck with these high costs for years to come.

On another subject,
I know big cable is against "a la carte" program packaging but I will support Senator McCain if he proposes legislation requiring cable to give us the option. I only need about 20 channels but pay for hundreds of SD channels like QVC and non-english content I never watch. For example, I like to watch a show on IFC called "dinner for five" but to watch this one show I had to buy the entire Encore channel package of 16 more channels I never watch for $3.99 a month.

post #201 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhdiab
Thanks for the update Greg - I for one am definately excited about the extra basketball games in HD - now don't take the wrong way since I think it must be pretty clear that ESPN-HD is by far the most wanted HD channel

Thanks!

I realize that previous arguments to the ESPN HD channel being in the BHN line up were geared towards the amount of actual HD programming that was available on the various HD channels and the fact that channels like the Discovery HD carried far more actual HD programming than channels like ESPN HD, however it seems that BHN would realize much more of a benefit by carrying ESPN HD rather than some of those other channels.

Reason being is because of the potential 'word-of-mouth' advertising that carrying such a channel could result in. As much as I appreciate the amount of HD programming available through BHN and find much of the programming fascinating, when was the last time anyone invited a bunch of people over to their house to see whales having sex in HD??? Never that I know ofand for those of you that might have, I don't think we really want to know about that!!! On the flip side, when was the last time somebody invited a bunch of people over to watch a big sporting event that was being covered in HD??? All the time, and right now, except for the NHL games that have been carried on ABC, that isn't happening, so if we want to see anything covered on ESPN HD, we are forced to go to our buddy's house who has it on satellite...obviously I know nothing about the ongoing negotiations, but doesn't anyone at BHN recognize the marketing potential that could be added by working something out with the ESPN HD folks?? Please, we don't ask for much do we????

I know it's impossible to please everyone all the time, but as of recent, it seems like if we can get ESPN HD on our HD PVR box from BHNthere wouldn't be any need for this message board any longer, because everyone would be happy, right??? Perhaps I'm way off base here, but these are just my casual observations from an elementary perspective.

Thanks,
Jim
post #202 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 01:01 PM
mwk

To me having Football and Hockey is enough to justify spending extra money.
I pay for the Hd package and right now there is little value in it.

How many times can you watch UCF 45, I'm up to three just because it's in HD.

I watch ESPN all the time, Football and Hockey are almost unwatchable on ESPN or ESPN2 because of pq issues.

I can't remember the last time I watched any thing on TNT.

Now I'm not complaining about getting TNT HD I actually might start watching just because of the HD.
post #203 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry928
I hope everyone who is requesting ESPN-HD realizes they have almost no HD content. I had ESPN-HD on DirecTV for a while and after football season ended it was definitely not worth any additional money. They stretch all the 4:3 SD content wide instead of giving the viewer a choice of aspect ratio.

ESPN HD SCHEDULE

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...s/espnhd/index

Some days have zero HD content and most days have 2 to 3 hours maximum. Sportscenter will be nothing more than 2 talking heads in HD rolling in primarily analog sourced SD hi-lites. I for one am glad BHN is fighting Disney's attempt to charge us a double digit increase for so little HD content. Rates do not ever go down and we will be stuck with these high costs for years to come.

I am all about ESPN-HD as the next guy... but I see both sides of this. I read the "What's the most disappointing HD Channel" forum from this site about a week ago (check it out)... and the responses were mostly ESPN becuase of the little HD programming on it, and the non-HD is stretched out.

I also understand that ABC is trying to charge BHN too much to carry it... which means we are stuck with paying it, thus the negotiations continue for our benefit in the wallet I assume.

If BHN added ESPN last month, we would all be complaining about how little HD is on it... and that we're paying too much for it... so I do understand the delay.

I am glad to see TNT added though.

Question... WGN broadcasts in HD in Chicago (local station)... when will they likely do that nation-wide? (Cub fan here).

-Boomer
http://sixhoursofstupid.com

BHN: 1995 - 4/12/08
DTV: 4/12/08 - ???
post #204 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 02:21 PM

Greg,
Just to let you know, despite recent messages, not everyone wanting more HD is interested in sports.
post #205 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 PM

Greg: I believe you indicated the HD DVR was close and might be a week or two away. I believe you said that about 10 days ago. Anyway, how close are we?
post #206 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 02:58 PM

For those of you who want to be on the bleeding edge of HD content you should consider VOOM as a supplemental service to what you have available now. They have changed their pricing so that you rent the equipment and pay nothing for install so there is no long term commitment.

Having said that, PLEASE don't start a discussion about how good or bad Voom is on this thread...there are other places for that, just thought I would point it out for those of you who keephow shall I say this nicelywhining to Greg for more content.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #207 of 18988 Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 PM

I vote against ESPN HD I have watched it on DTV. What a waste of band width. I think there is more HD sports programing on Broadcast TV than ESPN.
post #208 of 18988 Old 05-21-2004, 08:09 AM

I do have to say that the pq of MLB on INHD is amazing! It looks as though you are at the game viewing it from a seat at second base. You can actually see the fans faces as clear as day that are seated behind the batter/catcher. ESPN HD would be a great addition, especially if more HD content is added.
post #209 of 18988 Old 05-21-2004, 08:46 AM

Here's another solution until BH has a HD DVR. For those of you who don't want to deal with recording with a PC, LG makes an HD DVR that will record DV via IEEE1394. You can connect the 3250HD from BH to this DVR and record HD all digital. More info at http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail...egoryId=010403

The cost is less than the HD TiVo and you get to keep Bright House.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #210 of 18988 Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Peter, you had the wheels turning in my head about the LG reorder, until I saw the $1000 price. Too bad that unit isn't a DVD player too, then we wouldn't have to swap DVI cables or get a DVI switch, and it would be more justifiable at that price. I know that cutting edge technology is not inexpensive, but my wallet has its limitations.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page