12Likes

post #2881 of 18941 Old 04-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I have a question about audio (not the same as above).

The past few weeks I have noticed that the audio level for channel with DD seems to be getting lower. It seems like I have to raise the volume up by about 4 db to get to the same level of output that I normally listen at. It is even worse with DD2.0. Watching a movie right now on one of the HBO channels and to get the volume at a comfortable level I had to raise 10 -12 db higher then normal. It doesn't happen on all channels but, HBO channels and NBC HD seem to be the worst. Could it be the 8300 or is it BHN thing or from the station itself? Volume levels are fine when watching DVDs and playing Xbox 360. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have a similar experience. In my case DD programming definitely sounds lower in volume, however I haven't noticed any particular change in the last few weeks. I always have to turn up the AV receiver volume for 5.1 programs and turn it down or mute it for PCM/pro logic commercials interspersed in the DD program. I have tried various receiver surround sound speaker size settings (large v. small) for front L and R and center speakers (Bose Acoustimass 10) with no change in effect. My experience seems to be mostly consistent across all channels with DD audio.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 18941 Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I have a question about audio (not the same as above).

The past few weeks I have noticed that the audio level for channel with DD seems to be getting lower. It seems like I have to raise the volume up by about 4 db to get to the same level of output that I normally listen at. It is even worse with DD2.0. Watching a movie right now on one of the HBO channels and to get the volume at a comfortable level I had to raise 10 -12 db higher then normal. It doesn't happen on all channels but, HBO channels and NBC HD seem to be the worst. Could it be the 8300 or is it BHN thing or from the station itself? Volume levels are fine when watching DVDs and playing Xbox 360. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have a similar experience. In my case DD programming definitely sounds lower in volume, however I haven't noticed any particular change in the last few weeks. I always have to turn up the AV receiver volume for 5.1 programs and turn it down or mute it for PCM/pro logic commercials interspersed in the DD program. I have tried various receiver surround sound speaker size settings (large v. small) for front L and R and center speakers (Bose Acoustimass 10) with no change in effect. My experience seems to be mostly consistent across all channels with DD audio.

Jim
post #2883 of 18941 Old 04-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Liked: 12
I'm having 2 problems with the new version. 1 - the sound is lower as others have said, and 2- my Onkyo receiver always automatically switched between Dolby D, Pro-Logic and Stereo without problem. Now that I've received the new upgrade to DVR software, the receiver does not automatically switch. For Dolby D broadcasts, it sets itself to Pro-Logic and I have to go into the settings, click on Stereo and then click on Dolby D to get it to switch. Anyone else have this problem?? I'm connected to the receiver with optical cable.
post #2884 of 18941 Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry928 View Post

You are the first one to report this problem. The fiber connection is one way only so that is not a factor. Instead of rebooting the box try flipping the digital audio output switch back and forth between 2 channel and dolby digital as previously suggested.

i am not sure i understand where the digital audio output switch is --

I have tried a similar process on my amp - switching to "stereo" or to "direct input" and then back again to the "movie PL2" but it did not affect any change.

I looked at the 8300HD manuel and can not see a reference to digital audio output switch --

sorry for being a little dense --
post #2885 of 18941 Old 04-19-2006, 01:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You are the first one to report this problem. The fiber connection is one way only so that is not a factor. Instead of rebooting the box try flipping the digital audio output switch back and forth between 2 channel and dolby digital as previously suggested.

It's the notorious "bing" bug. It happens on optical audio also. I have to switch mine at least once a day since I have so many scheduled recordings.

LJ, just go in to settings - advanced and change the audio out from dolby digital to two channel, then change it back. Simple.
post #2886 of 18941 Old 04-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowiches View Post

It's the notorious "bing" bug. It happens on optical audio also. I have to switch mine at least once a day since I have so many scheduled recordings.

LJ, just go in to settings - advanced and change the audio out from dolby digital to two channel, then change it back. Simple.

Yuppers -- I finnaly got un-dense and saw where the setting was --

and it worked like a champ -- just did it --

Thanks a bunch for all the help to all -- its appreciated !!!
post #2887 of 18941 Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
hey, anyone having problems watching Discovery channel 41? I can't go to it.. but every other channel works fine, even the HD ones..
post #2888 of 18941 Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM

I have the Pace 550 box and experience the same dropout. I already changed boxes and did not relieve the problem. I use DVI to HDMI cable from box. Common problem with handshake I guess. Gets annoying.
post #2889 of 18941 Old 04-24-2006, 10:46 AM

Any hope of BHN adding ESPN2HD?
post #2890 of 18941 Old 04-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I noticed that BHN has recently dropped Ch 1000, which was used as the ad page for upcoming Magic and Lightning games.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #2891 of 18941 Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Liked: 12
Just to report that my problem with Dolby D and Dolby Pro-logic seems to have solved itself. Still wonder if anyone else had the problem with not switching?
post #2892 of 18941 Old 04-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Can anybody explain why the NJ Devils vs NY Rangers game is blacked out due to local restrictions? I didn't know Orlando is so close to New York. Luckly the game is on in HD (ch INHD).
post #2893 of 18941 Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo78 View Post

Can anybody explain why the NJ Devils vs NY Rangers game is blacked out due to local restrictions? I didn't know Orlando is so close to New York. Luckly the game is on in HD (ch INHD).

That has to be screw up by BHN. It's on OLN here on the FL space coast as well as on INHD.

I remember during the first 2-3 weeks of the NHL season that BHN frequently did not set up their transponder codes correctly to receive the OLN broadcasts of NHL games. Possibly this problem is back again.

post #2894 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Am I required to pay extra for an HD set top box from BHN? I've already got an HD DVR with HD service and all that. I need a second basic HD box (Pace or whatever there is available) for my home theater. Shouldn't BHN be making this available to me for free? Or do I have to pay more for another set top box (non-DVR)?

Ricky Brigante

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
podcast, Host

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #2895 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

That has to be screw up by BHN. It's on OLN here on the FL space coast as well as on INHD.

I remember during the first 2-3 weeks of the NHL season that BHN frequently did not set up their transponder codes correctly to receive the OLN broadcasts of NHL games. Possibly this problem is back again.

They luckily fixed this after about 20 minutes. I was extremely pissed at first, especially since I no longer subscribe to INHD/HDNet.
post #2896 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the only thing free from BHN is analog signals at wall jacks. All digital signals require some sort of device to decode them, be it a simple STB or a DVR. I am not sure of the cable card issue and whether you can attach a non BHN supplied box at this time.
post #2897 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

I believe the only thing free from BHN is analog signals at wall jacks. All digital signals require some sort of device to decode them, be it a simple STB or a DVR. I am not sure of the cable card issue and whether you can attach a non BHN supplied box at this time.

I believe you pay $1.95 a month for the cable card. You can attach it to whatever you have that accepts it. For me, the cable card is in a Sony HD DVR. BH insists that the cable guy comes out to your house for the install, you are not able to pick this up like you could an STB. The cable guy was very intrigued by the Sony HD DVR that I had.
post #2898 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Did they ask you to pay for the cable guy visit?
post #2899 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Did they ask you to pay for the cable guy visit?

No, they did not. I would have been very peeved if they had tried.
post #2900 of 18941 Old 04-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericky View Post

Am I required to pay extra for an HD set top box from BHN? I've already got an HD DVR with HD service and all that. I need a second basic HD box (Pace or whatever there is available) for my home theater. Shouldn't BHN be making this available to me for free? Or do I have to pay more for another set top box (non-DVR)?

I just went thru this issue with BHN yesterday when I looked over my monthly bill. Whether you subscribe to basic, standard, digital, or HD service, BHN provides you with one STB in the monthly charge for that service.

For each add'l STB, BHN charges you $8.00. On top of that you also pay $9.95 for each HD DVR box. Each add'l non-HD DVR box is an add'l $6.00.

I have one HD STB and two HD-DVR boxes. Therefore, BHN is charging $35.90 for these equipment items/services. Hope this helps. It was confusing to me because their original explanation of the monthly costs for adding the DVRs was significantly different than the reality.

post #2901 of 18941 Old 04-26-2006, 09:24 AM

Adios,
What model is your sony hd dvr. I am very interested and could not find it on sony's site. Thanks!

found it!
post #2902 of 18941 Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBuckeye View Post

Any hope of BHN adding ESPN2HD?

Yes, is there ANY hope of BHN adding ESPN2 HD to their lineup before June 9th? As it looks right now, all of the best World Cup matches will be in SD for me
post #2903 of 18941 Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmassa View Post

Yes, is there ANY hope of BHN adding ESPN2 HD to their lineup before June 9th? As it looks right now, all of the best World Cup matches will be in SD for me

True. Including the USA/Czech Republic match.

Mike
post #2904 of 18941 Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have learned that when lawyers are negotiating programming contracts time stands still as they wait for each other to blink or succumb to viewer complaints.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

post #2905 of 18941 Old 04-28-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I have learned that when lawyers are negotiating programming contracts time stands still as they wait for each other to blink or succumb to viewer complaints.

Bah, you would think that getting ESPN2 HD would be easy if they already carry ESPN HD. Keeping my fingers crossed!
post #2906 of 18941 Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It is not about easy or hard. It is about money. Imagine that BHN had 1 million customers and ESPN2 HD wanted 2 dollars a month per customer.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

post #2907 of 18941 Old 04-29-2006, 01:04 PM

Hmm, I'm having the weirdest problem with two of my 8300's (One HD the other one non hd) and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'll load a recorded program, and I'll decide I don't want to watch the beginning commercials/intro so I'll hit the Fast Forward button twice . Everything is fine until I try to play the video. The Fast forward doesn't stop and after a few seconds of fast forwarding the box will reboot itself.

This happened twice with South Park(Non HD) and once with Scrubs(HD unit)
post #2908 of 18941 Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky Sven View Post

Hmm, I'm having the weirdest problem with two of my 8300's (One HD the other one non hd) and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I'll load a recorded program, and I'll decide I don't want to watch the beginning commercials/intro so I'll hit the Fast Forward button twice . Everything is fine until I try to play the video. The Fast forward doesn't stop and after a few seconds of fast forwarding the box will reboot itself.

This happened twice with South Park(Non HD) and once with Scrubs(HD unit)

I have problems like that all the time. I have the non-HD unit.
Even sometimes I'll be watching a recorded program, and I fastforward through the commercials just fine, then at some point in the middle of the show I have the problem that you explained. I can rewind to before the commercials and watch the commercials just fine, but if I fastforward through them and then try to play, it freezes and will not play.

In fact I find the boxes to be very buggy.

I have yet to record an entire movie without having the audio and video get out of synch during playback at least 3 times within the course of movie. Pausing or stopping does not help. The only solution is to hit rewind and then play and it seems to re-synch itself.

I've had several different boxes from BHN and all have had this problem.

I find that loss of signal or pixelation during recording often leads to these problems.

Another problem I see is if I do have a signal; drop out for a split secodn during recording, when playing back, it just freezes, stopped in time at that point and you can't get by it. Often I have to rewind, then fast forward hoping to skip over that point, then rewind back as close to that point as I can and play from there (don't rewind back to this point, or it's frozen again.

It's all very annoying to me. If I want to transfer anything to DVD, I have to sit there and watch the whole thing and be ther to make these corrections, or half the show might have out of synch audio and video.
post #2909 of 18941 Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Arn't we supposed to be getting a BHN software update soon?
post #2910 of 18941 Old 05-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Has anyone noticed these odd behaviors from the 8300HD's?

Setup:
8300HD connected to Hitachi 51SWX20B CRT-RPTV via HDMI-DVI cable
Output set to 1080i only

Wierdness #1
Turn on TV
3/4 of picture is black (sideways L-shaped pattern)
Activate guide or change channel to fix.

Wierdness #2
Turn off TV (with 8300HD on)
Power and 1080i indicator flash very erratically
(If I power off the 8300HD first, then power off the TV, this does not happen)

Neither of these seem to be real big problems, although I am a little worried about #2.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page