Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3269 Old 12-26-2004, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my HDTV (Epson Livingstation P2) hooked up over Christmas and got all the major networks OTA at 90+ signal strength from Snellville, GA. Football looks great! I can't wait until more programming is in HD and not just upconverted SD. Outdoor antenna in the attic is doing the job.

Phil G
American by birth, Mac user by choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3269 Old 12-26-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Phil, consider yourself very lucky because there aren't alot of people who can get good reception and all stations with the antenna in the attic. Good Luck and enjoy the free HD OTA stations as the picture quality is better than Fox HD over Directv.
post #273 of 3269 Old 12-26-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Phil, what antenna are you using?

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #274 of 3269 Old 12-26-2004, 04:01 PM

It's an RCA ANT3036W. 33 elements and 120-inch boom. I picked it up at Home Depot a few years ago and used to use it to receive the signal for my old analog set. The picture is much better on the digital set!

Phil G
post #275 of 3269 Old 12-26-2004, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Must be nice. I can't get a signal in the attic 10 miles from the towers with a CM 4228
post #276 of 3269 Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by plasmamaniac
buzgz, I find that hard to believe because I have the SIR-TS160 and they are all similar in function. I press the MENU button, then hilite SETUP menu item & press OK. Hilite Antenna & Cable Menu & press OK. Hilite the SCAN TYPE menu item & press OK. The SCAN TYPE list has Digital, Off-Air NTSC & Cable NTSC in it. Hilite Digital & perform the SCAN. That's what my manual says. Are you sure that your's isn't similar?

There is no "Antenna and Cable Menu" on the T-165. There is a place you can choose OTA or Cable, and I checked OTA, but it still wants to find OTA analog only channels.

I have been able to manually enter the digital channels by entering their untranslated channel numbers, for example by entering 39 and having 2-1 and 2-2 show up. Then I can capture them in memory.

The only problem left is Channel 17. Its' untranslated number is also 17, and all I get is 17-0, the analog channel.
post #277 of 3269 Old 12-27-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I can't believe that they wouldn't allow you that option seeing as they put this menu on every other STB they sell. Unbelievable. I also thought that after all the problems they had with the SIR-TS160 that they would have learned and would have put out a thoughly tested and upgraded new SIR-TS360 STB without going thru alot of problems. However, it seems that Samsung likes to rush their products to market before adequate testing so the "PUBLIC" can test them in the market place. Saves alot of testing dollars.
post #278 of 3269 Old 12-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dervari
Must be nice. I can't get a signal in the attic 10 miles from the towers with a CM 4228

Try the roof, neighboorhood covenants don't apply.

You can also hire someone with a signal strength meter to find the sweet spot for you. Some names are listed in this thread.

I'm supprised you can't get a single channel, something seems amiss.

From 10 miles rabbit ears would get some channels.
post #279 of 3269 Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

dervari, what does your moniker stand for? Is that your last name? Have you tried to check your signal strength? Have you checked your connections? I guarantee you that I can get you a signal unless you are totally blocked. Being in the attic can cause alot of problems. Sometimes you just get lucky.
post #280 of 3269 Old 12-27-2004, 03:45 PM

I used the following information to help me set up my antenna. It is available at the channelmaster Web site. Here is the pertinent information, I hope it helps...

Large trees can present reception problems and nearby high-voltage power lines can cause interference that cannot be completely eliminated. Also, aluminum foil on insulation, aluminum or steel siding, metal gutters at the attic level, and metal lath under older plaster walls all can interfere to some degree with reception.

Several roof-type mounting brackets and swivel mounts are adaptable for use in attic installations. The mounting bracket is used to attach the short mast to a rafter or rafter support. The antenna is then mounted on the other end of the mast. The antenna however, must not touch the attic floor. Also, remember that the antenna should be attached to the mast right side up, even though the installation appears to be the reverse of an outside installation.

Instead of using a mast, you may suspend the antenna from the inside of the roof with guy wires or nylon rope. But don?t let the guy wires touch the antenna elements. They will short out the antenna. Once you have the antenna mounted or suspended, you are ready to run the transmission line. If at all possible, keep it indoors. Coaxial cable is the best transmission line for any antenna installation. It should be used instead of twin lead even in attic installations.

Phil G
post #281 of 3269 Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 PM

Not pretty, but it works.

Image of antenna setup in attic.
LL

Phil G
post #282 of 3269 Old 01-01-2005, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

For those of us with DirecTV here in Atlanta, we got a nice New Year's present today - ABC HD is alive on channel 88 (and/or 89).

No more worries about the WSB "signal reception roulette".

If you already had the East and/or West coast network feeds as of yesterday or before, you should have Channel 88 (East coast feed) or Channel 89 (West Coast feed) turned on this morning.

The way you would have gotten the national feeds before today would have been to call DirecTV and apply for waivers. WSB did grant waivers last year to get the national feeds (unlike their evil competitor WGLC Channel 46, who refused).

So in Atlanta, if you had applied for waivers last year, and gotten the network feeds as of year end, you should have both ABC HD and Fox HD.

Later in 2005, with the launch of a new satelite, Atlantans are scheduled for all their locals in HD on DirecTV as well (probably around July some time).

HEEEEE HAAAAA - a Full day of HD bowl games today - Thanks DirecTV.

Hopefully by Labor Day - OTA in Atlanta will be totally obsolete.
post #283 of 3269 Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Did FOX do the same thing ABC did a couple weeks ago? My 5-1 is black now whereas 5-2 has the programming but no guide info.

CW

We're selling our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and giving the proceeds to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #284 of 3269 Old 01-01-2005, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the ABC feed does no one good in the Atlanta area unless you got waivers and very few people that I know have qualified for waivers. I can't get them and I am in Peachtree City, Ga. At least we can get Fox which is an O&O station. I like my OTA anyway because it looks better such as with Fox than the Fox Directv feed because of compression.
post #285 of 3269 Old 01-01-2005, 05:35 PM

IF anyone needs any commscope rg-11 coax just let me know. I have about 5 1000' rolls. The first kind is F1177TSVM (Brightwire, Tripleshield, Groundwire) and the second kind is F1177TSEF (Tripleshielded, PE jacket for underground use, Floodant for waterproofing). This coax is very expensive coax used by cable tv companies but i got it at a very good price so get it while its here. I don't live to far from atlanta

Mitsubishi WS 55313
Dish 811/301 w/ AEP, Voom, HD pack, Locals, OTA locals
post #286 of 3269 Old 01-02-2005, 04:16 PM

i live in north cumming (less than a mile away from the dawsonville line) ... can anyone in this area comment on OTA reception (and what antenna you used) from this area? I'm about 40 miles away from the towers, which isn't bad, but there's a mountain (well, what we call mountains here anyway) in between me and the towers ... i'm wondering if that will mess things up for me.
post #287 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jackshakes
i live in north cumming (less than a mile away from the dawsonville line) ... can anyone in this area comment on OTA reception (and what antenna you used) from this area? I'm about 40 miles away from the towers, which isn't bad, but there's a mountain (well, what we call mountains here anyway) in between me and the towers ... i'm wondering if that will mess things up for me.

I am in the same approx. location, off of 369 next to the lake. I am using a Silver Sensor with the CM Spartan preamp they sell at Lowes. The Silver Sensor is actually under my deck, on the ground and is also going into a 4 way splitter. I get all local DT channels with no problem. There is some occasional breakup on a couple channels on my older DT tuners.
post #288 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, the ABC feed does no one good in the Atlanta area unless you got waivers and very few people that I know have qualified for waivers.

I know of 2 people in your area and 5 in another area of Atlanta that all have ABC waivers - all of them simply applied for the national feeds last year, and got both FOX and ABC waivers with no problem at all. They all have ABC HD and FOX HD now. I'm not aware of anyone in the Atlanta area who applied for waivers that got turned down for ABC or FOX.
post #289 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by patnalli
I am in the same approx. location, off of 369 next to the lake. I am using a Silver Sensor with the CM Spartan preamp they sell at Lowes. The Silver Sensor is actually under my deck, on the ground and is also going into a 4 way splitter. I get all local DT channels with no problem. There is some occasional breakup on a couple channels on my older DT tuners.

This is good news. I'm about 5 miles north of 369 so I should see similar results. I thought the silver sensor was an indoor only antenna? Isn't it the same one ATI packages with their HDTV Wonder?

Anyway, this is good to hear as I really didn't want to get one of the big ugly antenna's to put outside. I'd really like to stick something in the attic, but if I have to go outside I'd like to use one that doesn't look so bad.
post #290 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVFAN0001
I know of 2 people in your area and 5 in another area of Atlanta that all have ABC waivers - all of them simply applied for the national feeds last year, and got both FOX and ABC waivers with no problem at all. They all have ABC HD and FOX HD now. I'm not aware of anyone in the Atlanta area who applied for waivers that got turned down for ABC or FOX.

Who do I talk to at ABC to get an application for the waiver? Thanks for the info.
post #291 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Distant network package without waivers by calling and asking nicely. If they say no, say thank you, hang up & hit redial.
post #292 of 3269 Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who do I talk to at ABC to get an application for the waiver? Thanks for the info.

Once the new law kicked in, waivers have no longer been granted.

For those of us who requested and got national feed waivers prior to 1/1/05 or so, we managed to get "grandfathered" to get the new HD channels under the same law.

Unless you are extremely lucky to get a rookie CSR or something, you're pretty well outta luck for the time being.

Once the new D*TV Sat goes up in Spring, they'll be starting up the top 30 markets or so with local HD channels.
post #293 of 3269 Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Hello, I have a friend who lives in Tyrone, GA (zip: 30290). He just moved there and I'm planning to pay him a visit to see his new home. A second thing on our "agenda" for this trip is to help him set up an antenna to get OTA HD channels. We'll be hooking the antenna up to an LG LST-3100A OTA recevier.

I've done the thing on antennaweb.org and it recommend a "medium directional" antenna (red). I noticed that all but one of the digital broadcasts are UHF. His idstance to the towers is approx. 25miles and his house is surrounded by many tall trees.

Because of the trees, I'm wondering if we might want to go with a longer range UHF antenna (like the Channel Master 4248 or 4228). Is there anyone that can comment on this approach? Any other suggestions? Also, do you think we'll be able to pick up the single VHF broadcast with a UHF antenna?

Thanks!
post #294 of 3269 Old 01-09-2005, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I would have recommended the 4228 except for the very fact that it won't pick up that VHF channel. I have a Channel Master 3677 which picks up both VHF & UHF signals. I also bought an amp, the CM 0064 and a CM 9521 rotator which helps when going from one station to the next to get the best directional location for that stations signal. If you can afford it, the amp and the rotator are definitely worth it.
post #295 of 3269 Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I would have recommended the 4228 except for the very fact that it won't pick up that VHF channel.

The 4228 does a pretty good job on WXIA-DT (Ch 10). I was trying out the 4228 about 10 miles from the broadcast farm and it was picking it up veryu well.
post #296 of 3269 Old 01-10-2005, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

WXIA-DT is VHF I assume, I can't remember which one was? That's good news then as I have a friend who needs an OTA antenna but wants a small one, not too obtrusive. I hear that the 4228 really picks up the signal very good, seems to be very efficient.
post #297 of 3269 Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Yeah XIA is the one VHF DTV station in town.
CW

We're selling our
and giving the proceeds to
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #298 of 3269 Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
EAW

Sorry if this is rehashed stuff. But I may be moving to ATL and living way North. Do I understand from plasmamaniac that my DB4 (which is similar to the 4228) may actually pull the VHF station from 30 to 40 miles away?

I won't hold you to it, but that's a pleasant surprise.

EDIT: whoops. a 4228 is more like a DB8 than a DB4. Seems like I might need to upgrade in the event I move on down.
post #299 of 3269 Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi, I have a panasonic PT-50DL54 tv and have comcast hdtv. I am wondering if there's a way I can get some of the hd channels that comcast doesn't carry. I stopped by radio shack today and picked up an antenna, connected it to the tv but I get nothing but snow on all channels. I could make out some images on some channels but it wasn't much. Is there anything else I need to do?

I do live in the ground floor of an apartment complex in Buckhead so I'm not sure how good the indoor reception would be.
post #300 of 3269 Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 PM

DasLonghorn02,

Your tv has an NTSC tuner, but not the ATSC digital tuner you would need to get WSB-DT (channel 39) and WUPA-DT (channel 43). You need to buy an HDTV tuner to receive the hd channels Comcast doesn't carry.

Tom
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page