Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3240 Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The problems you will face with channel 11 fading in or out is your antenna needs to be tuned to get the right wavelength by extending one or more of the elements a little longer or I have found just straightening out the coax if you have a dip in it between the tv and the antenna...Channell 11 you should use a vhf antenna most of these Uhf channel antennas will pick it up but they are just shy of trimming that frequency it is on the edge of what the UHF antenna is truly designed for...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3240 Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Hey guys after charter has gone 100% digital in my area I will not give them any more $. It looks like OTA is the least expensive way to go. So here's my info. From what I looked at on the map 40 miles is the furthest signal I can get.

So what do I go with attic install or exterior? From the looks of it I'll have some tree's in the way with either install.
People have said good things about winegard, channel master.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6889d0f1d85

I appreciate any info you can give this noob. biggrin.gif
post #3213 of 3240 Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Has anyone had experience with either of these? I'm leaning towards the winegard cause it comes with a pre amp.

http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/hdtv-antenna/flatwave-air/
or http://www.channelmasterstore.com/SMARTenna_HD_Antenna_p/cm-3000hd.htm
post #3214 of 3240 Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We have one of these on one of our upstairs TVs. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APPDX86 Brings in 2,5, 11 and some others. Don't use it much. We are in West Cobb. The other two TVs have an antenna installed by Cliff at Atlanta Antenna. He had to also put an amplifier on it. http://sodac.com/off-air.html
post #3215 of 3240 Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

We have one of these on one of our upstairs TVs. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APPDX86 Brings in 2,5, 11 and some others. Don't use it much. We are in West Cobb. The other two TVs have an antenna installed by Cliff at Atlanta Antenna. He had to also put an amplifier on it. http://sodac.com/off-air.html

Thanks
post #3216 of 3240 Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post

Hey guys after charter has gone 100% digital in my area I will not give them any more $. It looks like OTA is the least expensive way to go. So here's my info. From what I looked at on the map 40 miles is the furthest signal I can get.

So what do I go with attic install or exterior? From the looks of it I'll have some tree's in the way with either install.
People have said good things about winegard, channel master.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6889d0f1d85

I appreciate any info you can give this noob. biggrin.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with these Leaf, Flatwave, or whatever antennas.  I live near downtown Marietta which is a little closer to the towers than you and I had a hard time getting consistent reception with those type antennas.  You might want to consider the RCA ANT751R, its what I have and it pulls in every major channel and then some.  It its worlds better than the leaf antennas.  The good news is that most of the stations are LOS from your locations, so you might even be able to mount it in your attic and get good reception.  Even if you have to put it on your roof, it's a fairly compact antenna and an easy install.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Durable-Compact-Outdoor/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401201077&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+ant751

post #3217 of 3240 Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with these Leaf, Flatwave, or whatever antennas.  I live near downtown Marietta which is a little closer to the towers than you and I had a hard time getting consistent reception with those type antennas.  You might want to consider the RCA ANT751R, its what I have and it pulls in every major channel and then some.  It its worlds better than the leaf antennas.  The good news is that most of the stations are LOS from your locations, so you might even be able to mount it in your attic and get good reception.  Even if you have to put it on your roof, it's a fairly compact antenna and an easy install.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Durable-Compact-Outdoor/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401201077&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+ant751
Thanks,
folks from another forum said I should stay away also from those types and stick with an omni-directional.
post #3218 of 3240 Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Not sure which forum that is, but it's wrong. Directional antennas are almost always better than omni-directional antennas because of their rejection of multipath in urban areas. In analog, multipath showed up as "ghosting," which could sometimes be watchable, if not too severe. In digital, the signal just drops out. The more directional your antenna, the more you can defeat multipath, and typically, the better your performance. (In rural areas, you also wanted a directional antenna to better receive the distant signals you were trying to get.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3219 of 3240 Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Not sure which forum that is, but it's wrong. Directional antennas are almost always better than omni-directional antennas because of their rejection of multipath in urban areas. In analog, multipath showed up as "ghosting," which could sometimes be watchable, if not too severe. In digital, the signal just drops out. The more directional your antenna, the more you can defeat multipath, and typically, the better your performance. (In rural areas, you also wanted a directional antenna to better receive the distant signals you were trying to get.)

- Trip

Here's a c/p from another forum. Not sure where the omni-directional part came from. biggrin.gif

Stay away from those Flat panels ! They are very directional sensitive if your only pointing to one then its ok !

A nice all around antenna with a broad directional spectrum is a =http://www.amazon.com/AWM-Rca-Ant751-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B00DVG6SK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400805172&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+ant751+outdoor+antennaand
it comes with a roof or wall mask ! Like all antenna's it more a line of site the higher you get the better it is !
post #3220 of 3240 Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay, I misread. I thought you said the other forum said to stick with omni-directional antennas. My mistake. redface.gif

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3221 of 3240 Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM

Noticed Soul of the South on 16.1 yesterday along with WUGA on 8.4
post #3222 of 3240 Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What happened to Ch 8.1-.3 in the last two weeks? No signal observed with four different TV/antenna setups. Location is Morningside in Atlanta.

Update: As a comedienne once said "Never mind". I was able to obtain a weak signal for the channel. Likely growing trees were the cause.

Last edited by rhfelton; 06-17-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: The signal was found.
post #3223 of 3240 Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It was ironic that DIRECTV added WUGA 32 in the Atlanta, Georgia DMA instead of their home DMA Greenville, SC which is technically in.

Folks in Toccoa, Georgia are denied to watch PBS from their own state of Georgia from GPB or Channel 30 and forced to watch PBS from SCETV or UNC-TV on DIRECTV for example since Toccoa, GA is part of the Greenville, SC DMA. Also, folks in Toccoa are denied to watch the Atlanta Falcons on FOX or sometimes CBS, instead forced to watch Carolina Panthers instead their homestate NFL team. The Nielsen DMA's are outdated like some people say, I agree with them. The DMA system is screwed up so as the controversial issues like Retransmission Consent disputes, Network Non-Duplication, Syndicated Exclusivity, and Sports Blackout nonsense silly laws by FCC that the NAB loves.

I know that Atlanta is a Top 10 Market in the 210 DMAs while Greenville, SC is also in the Top 50 of the 210 DMAs (#37).

Spencer Karter

Cities I've DXed OTA at my location on DXing: Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Savannah, Raleigh, Lumberton, and Charleston!
post #3224 of 3240 Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhfelton View Post
What happened to Ch 8.1-.3 in the last two weeks? No signal observed with four different TV/antenna setups. Location is Morningside in Atlanta.

Works for me. But its weird. It seems like 8 will be fine and 30 is bad and then is swaps. I'm in West Cobb, no issues with 8, any of them.
post #3225 of 3240 Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 AM

So I've been a happy DirecTV customer for several years and just upgraded my equipment to the HR44 Genie and several Genie minis. For the first time I'm also looking to add the AM21N OTA receiver to get all of the sub channels that are not offered by DirecTV here in the Atlanta area. One of the benefits of the AM21N paired with the Genie is that OTA will be available on all of the Genie minis throughout the house since they feed off of the HR44. In the past, you would have to have an AM21N paired with each reciever that you wanted OTA channels.

My question is, has anyone here had any experience with the Directv AM21N OTA tuner? I've read some complaints in other cities that sometimes the guide won't show all of the OTA channels available in their particular area and wanted to know if that was in issue here in Atlanta. If anyone has any experience they would like to share about this device, that would be great.

P.S. It will be paired with a RCA ANT751R that is already mounted on my roof. I live in the Marietta area.
post #3226 of 3240 Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM

Folks in Atlanta (since it was part of this) were you stunned and shocked that SCOTUS shut down Aereo yesterday in a 6-3 decision in favor of the greedy broadcasters or in other words The NAB?

It was a real Travesty to America since SCOTUS backstabbed cord-cutters (low and middle class) and became traitors. I know Congress creates laws and POTUS signs it officially. Very shocking indeed and disgrace to the USA!

But as Chet Kanojia say it isn't over set. In the words of the late MLK "We shall overcome!".

I support innovation, but I hate that Aereo receive this by SCOTUS yesterday claiming that Aereo is illegal. Unfortunately, corporate greed and corruption by the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) still lives on sadly.

The End of an Era!

June 25th, 2014 aka The Day Aereo Died!

Spencer Karter

Cities I've DXed OTA at my location on DXing: Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Savannah, Raleigh, Lumberton, and Charleston!
post #3227 of 3240 Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does anyone know where I can get a J Mount locally? Need a quick and dirty setup at my GF's house to replace her Aereo. Everywhere says "Ships to store in 5-7 days" but I need one sooner!

NE Atlanta (Norcross/Duluth/Suwanee) area preferred.

Thanks!
post #3228 of 3240 Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Folks in Atlanta (since it was part of this) were you stunned and shocked that SCOTUS shut down Aereo yesterday in a 6-3 decision in favor of the greedy broadcasters or in other words The NAB?

June 25th, 2014 aka The Day Aereo Died!
My GF was horrified. She is a cord cutter and had been using a VCR with rabbit ears when we started dating. Picked her up a Roku and Aero subscription and she was hooked. Now I'm in fire fighting mode to get her set up with a dual bay antenna and cheap Tivo I grabbed off eBay.
post #3229 of 3240 Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post
My GF was horrified. She is a cord cutter and had been using a VCR with rabbit ears when we started dating. Picked her up a Roku and Aero subscription and she was hooked. Now I'm in fire fighting mode to get her set up with a dual bay antenna and cheap Tivo I grabbed off eBay.
I feel her pain.

There's always OTA antenna! http://www.tvantennasale.com/Lava-HD...d2605ultra.htm

My 404th post in honor of ATL's area code not the dreadful error! LOL!

Spencer Karter

post #3230 of 3240 Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a J Mount locally? Need a quick and dirty setup at my GF's house to replace her Aereo. Everywhere says "Ships to store in 5-7 days" but I need one sooner!

NE Atlanta (Norcross/Duluth/Suwanee) area preferred.

Thanks!
Check Lowe's, Home Depot, Fry's, Radio Shack, or Dow Electronics possibly.
post #3231 of 3240 Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 0
Just became an Aereo orphan Hubby put up UHF/VHF antenna with rotator about 25 ft. We are getting 22 channels but missing WSB Ch 2. Any tricks to receiving this one? I am in 30066 near 30188 very northeast Cobb.
post #3232 of 3240 Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Got the gf set up with a TiVo HD off eBay and an Eagle Aspen 2 bay that I had lying around at the house. Getting 95-100 on all the major networks. Just have the antenna sitting in a chair right now until I can get a j mount. Got lucky and was able to use an old existing cable run into the house.
post #3233 of 3240 Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM

The idiot lumberjacks KILLED my outdoor antenna when they felled a tree onto the house....does anyone know of any sites (internet or actual locations) where I could find a replacement? I really can't afford anything right now and honestly, I'm hoping to find someone who wants to give one away. I live on the southside near the airport and have tried craigslist without success.

Is this even a possibility? Or should I give up any hope of this becoming a reality?
post #3234 of 3240 Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If they damaged your house and/or antenna, aren't they responsible for paying for the damage? I could be mistaken, of course, just a thought.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3235 of 3240 Old 07-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you have a highly directional antenna but the TV stations' transmitters are located in several different directions from your location, does that mean you have to use a rotor? Also, how far away can a signal be reasonably expected to be received? I've heard that anything over 50 miles is unlikely, but that means that there are large swaths of the nation that have no reasonable chance of OTA reception.
post #3236 of 3240 Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Had you ever heard of NimbleTV?

Unlike Aereo, it's a cloud based thingy only in NYC DMA. It'll expand to 9 markets including Atlanta soon! Google it on the news.
https://watch.nimbletv.com/

Spencer Karter

post #3237 of 3240 Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM

I wish Nimble had Discovery channel. My GF's dad is paying around $75/mo just so he can get Discovery and TLC. That would be a perfect setup for him along with an OTA for locals.

Last edited by dervari; 07-07-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #3238 of 3240 Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM

I haven't read through all 108 pages of this thread so if this question has been asked, my apologies, but does anyone here in the Atlanta area have any experience with Denny's HD Stacker antenna? I'm thinking about going big and this antenna looks appealing especially since I will be doing an attic install.
post #3239 of 3240 Old Today, 02:15 PM

There are several ways to get those channels over the net if he's not opposed to watching tv via the computer....or he could always connect the computer to the tv. There are also several free apps for an android if he has one. You can contact me privately if you need more info as I'm not sure it would be within the rules if I posted the links publicly. mattswad@gmail.com
post #3240 of 3240 Old Today, 09:09 PM

I am using a dual bay bowtie and getting a 68 for signal strengthstrength on RF10 . Getting an 89 on RF 8. Antenna is pointed direct at the main Atlanta antenna farms from Duluth and getting 96-100 on the other major networks that are on UHF. Is a 68 on TiVo acceptable or do I need to tweak?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page