Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3269 Old 07-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Atlanta 11.2 Weather Nation

Does WXIA not monitor 11.2? Lip sync is way off. Seems to slip daily. Then someone reboots or resets something, and it's good for about a day, and then the sync slips away again, day by day. Perhaps they should really fix it?

-Homie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3269 Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which is the dominant TV station in Hotlanta?

WSB 2 (ABC, formerly NBC)
WAGA 5 (FOX O&O, formerly CBS)
WXIA 11 (NBC, formerly WQXI and ABC)
WGCL 46 (CBS, formerly independent WGNX)

or others?

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)
post #3243 of 3269 Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
Does WXIA not monitor 11.2? Lip sync is way off. Seems to slip daily. Then someone reboots or resets something, and it's good for about a day, and then the sync slips away again, day by day. Perhaps they should really fix it?
Weather Nation (The Weather Channel's rival) is also available nationwide on DirecTV as well.

Spencer Karter

post #3244 of 3269 Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattswad View Post
There are several ways to get those channels over the net if he's not opposed to watching tv via the computer....or he could always connect the computer to the tv. There are also several free apps for an android if he has one. You can contact me privately if you need more info as I'm not sure it would be within the rules if I posted the links publicly. mattswad@gmail.com
This is correct. I have my laptop connected to my TV. The major broadcast networks have around 4 or 5 of the last episodes on their websites. Hulu also has some, the free ones you can only access on a computer. Hulu Plus subscription is needed for using the apps. When you watch shows from the major networks on Hulu, they usually have the local affiliate logo on the bottom, just like if you watched it live locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Which is the dominant TV station in Hotlanta?

WSB 2 (ABC, formerly NBC)
WAGA 5 (FOX O&O, formerly CBS)
WXIA 11 (NBC, formerly WQXI and ABC)
WGCL 46 (CBS, formerly independent WGNX)

or others?

Do you mean for local programming? I think WSB has the most news and the most watched news. The rest have been trying to catch up for years. I'd put Fox 5 second when it comes to news. 46 seems to have decided to hire attractive women to pump up ratings. Hasn't worked so far. The AJC has a blog on the local TV and radio stations. http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/

But the good thing, IMO, are the networks that show old content, MeTV, Bounce, Antenna TV and Movies! TV Network.

Univision is the only station with two HD feeds. And they have saved me a couple times when it comes to sports, when ESPN3 crapped out during the USA World Cup game and for most of the F1 races.

And 69, UPN has one of the strongest signals from where I am in W. Cobb.

Ion has the weakest signal for me of the HD networks, the transmitter is behind me and my installer told me I'd have to add another antenna to get it.

Last edited by size14d; 07-19-2014 at 08:34 AM.
post #3245 of 3269 Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
Looks fine to me right now. I don't usually watch it though.
post #3246 of 3269 Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post
This is correct. I have my laptop connected to my TV. The major broadcast networks have around 4 or 5 of the last episodes on their websites. Hulu also has some, the free ones you can only access on a computer. Hulu Plus subscription is needed for using the apps. When you watch shows from the major networks on Hulu, they usually have the local affiliate logo on the bottom, just like if you watched it live locally.

Do you mean for local programming? I think WSB has the most news and the most watched news. The rest have been trying to catch up for years. I'd put Fox 5 second when it comes to news. 46 seems to have decided to hire attractive women to pump up ratings. Hasn't worked so far. The AJC has a blog on the local TV and radio stations. http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/

But the good thing, IMO, are the networks that show old content, MeTV, Bounce, Antenna TV and Movies! TV Network.

Univision is the only station with two HD feeds. And they have saved me a couple times when it comes to sports, when ESPN3 crapped out during the USA World Cup game and for most of the F1 races.

And 69, UPN has one of the strongest signals from where I am in W. Cobb.

Ion has the weakest signal for me of the HD networks, the transmitter is behind me and my installer told me I'd have to add another antenna to get it.

I remember Stephany Fisher of WGCL 46, she used to work at NBC station WYFF 4 in Greenville, SC doing morning news before moving to Atlanta.

Also WGCL CBS 46 is also owned by the same owners of our FOX station in Greenville, SC WHNS 21 aka FOX CAROLINA.

Spencer Karter

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 07-20-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Addition
post #3247 of 3269 Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everyone in the Atlanta area please go to 11alive.com (WXIA) and ask for them to add Cozi TV as a subchannel on their OTA digital broadcasts. You can make this request on the "contact us" page at 11alive.com. If you haven't heard of CoziTV, it shows mainly retro tv shows such as Magnum, PI, The Six Million Dollar Man, etc., etc. It's similar to MeTV and Antenna TV. I would really like to see this station being picked up in the Atlanta OTA market. If enough of us make the request, it might become a reality here. Thanks.
post #3248 of 3269 Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Cozi TV is an NBC O&O channel, but would be nice to see Gannett add it on their NBC affiliates as well. Including WXIA.
post #3249 of 3269 Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Cozi TV is an NBC O&O channel, but would be nice to see Gannett add it on their NBC affiliates as well. Including WXIA.
Non-NBC O&O markets like Salt Lake City, Cincinnati, and Boston have CoziTV subchannels too.

Spencer Karter

post #3250 of 3269 Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
It looks like Gannett is already carrying Cozi on several of its stations in Texas. Would be nice to see them add it here.
post #3251 of 3269 Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can no longer pick up NBC

I've had a CM4228 in the attic for 10 years and used it on and off. I could always pick up NBC but sometimes had trouble with ABC. I haven't used the antenna since I got Aereo. Now that Aereo's dead I am back to OTA. I can no longer pick up NBC and now ABC is fine. I've tried different cables and TV's. The antenna hasn't moved. I re-terminated the coax. Has anything changed with NBC in the last couple years?

I'm in Woodstock and have had concerns about being in the shadow of Sweat Mountain. My house hasn't moved and neither has the mountain. Has the transmitter moved? The mapping sites show it where I remember.

Edit: I just noticed on AntennaPoint.com that the tower for WPBA 30.1 is right by the WXIA tower and I can't get 30.1 either.

Last edited by Solderbot; 07-28-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: there were eels in my hovercraft
post #3252 of 3269 Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The usual culprits are either tree/foliage growth (especially on UHF) and electrical/electronic interference on VHF. It also doesn't help that 1) the antenna is in the attic and 2) you're using a UHF antenna for VHF (NBC).

Try moving the antenna to several places in the attic. Attics are far from uniform in their signal availability and quality.
post #3253 of 3269 Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Liked: 0
Soon to be Cutter in Woodstock

Hey all -

I am in Woodstock, about 25-30 miles from most of the broadcast source antennas, and I am looking to "cut the cable". What am I in need of? An antenna (obviously), a converter/box (hopefully with some sort of DVR) and possibly an amp. My house is fairly tall and on part of a hill, so I should be able to mount an antenna in my attic. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what antenna or other gear to buy (or to avoid)? Thanks.

Marc
post #3254 of 3269 Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Marc, I can't help you with antenna recommendations. Do you have old TVs? New models will have the tuner you need. Just connect the antenna and change the input to antenna (air, whatever the menu lists).
post #3255 of 3269 Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFrancis30189 View Post
Hey all -

I am in Woodstock, about 25-30 miles from most of the broadcast source antennas, and I am looking to "cut the cable". What am I in need of? An antenna (obviously), a converter/box (hopefully with some sort of DVR) and possibly an amp. My house is fairly tall and on part of a hill, so I should be able to mount an antenna in my attic. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what antenna or other gear to buy (or to avoid)? Thanks.

Marc
Marc, I live in Marietta and am looking to do the same as you. I have tried the RCA ANT751 in my attic, and while the reception is just OK, it could be better. In garnering advice on different chat boards, the consensus seems to be that we would want a fairly large antenna for attic mounts because of our distance from the towers. The two that have been recommended are Denny's HD Stacker and the Antennacraft HBU 44.
post #3256 of 3269 Old 07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
Marc, I live in Marietta and am looking to do the same as you. I have tried the RCA ANT751 in my attic, and while the reception is just OK, it could be better. In garnering advice on different chat boards, the consensus seems to be that we would want a fairly large antenna for attic mounts because of our distance from the towers. The two that have been recommended are Denny's HD Stacker and the Antennacraft HBU 44.
You may also want to consider a Winegard 7696 or 7698. And A Winegard LNA-200 preamp or LNA-100 inline amp. I think these antennas are still sold at Fry's and Dow Electronics. And the folks at Dow will tell you the Channel Master 4228-HD works great in the Atlanta area, and will also get WXIA despite being a UHF antenna. You could always give it a try.
post #3257 of 3269 Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post
I wish Nimble had Discovery channel. My GF's dad is paying around $75/mo just so he can get Discovery and TLC. That would be a perfect setup for him along with an OTA for locals.
Thanks for that tip! There is a free subscription available to all that is mostly a few news and shopping channels. There is one channel, TrueTv that has some pretty cool movie offerings. There is a paid option that is $30/month (More than Comcast with double or triple play options) that is not worth it. I will be interested to see what the LITE offering is when it comes to Atlanta as it is offered in LA/NY only at this time.
post #3258 of 3269 Old 08-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
The usual culprits are either tree/foliage growth (especially on UHF) and electrical/electronic interference on VHF. It also doesn't help that 1) the antenna is in the attic and 2) you're using a UHF antenna for VHF (NBC).

Try moving the antenna to several places in the attic. Attics are far from uniform in their signal availability and quality.
Is it possible to have a UHF AND a VHF antenna? And switch to VHF when you want to watch NBC? I live in a downtown Marietta Zip subdivision and can't put on the roof. I hear the Mohu's not worth it in our area and stick with directional (like the RCA referenced above). It's small and MIGHT be able to be attached to roof on BACK side of house where not in view.

What are people paying to have these attached as I'm not getting on my two-story roof?
post #3259 of 3269 Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennadream View Post
The problems you will face with channel 11 fading in or out is your antenna needs to be tuned to get the right wavelength by extending one or more of the elements a little longer or I have found just straightening out the coax if you have a dip in it between the tv and the antenna...Channell 11 you should use a vhf antenna most of these Uhf channel antennas will pick it up but they are just shy of trimming that frequency it is on the edge of what the UHF antenna is truly designed for...
While you can't watch LIVE this way you can watch MOST NBC shows the next day on their website. You can connect your laptop via HDMI to your TV and watch as you normally would:

http://www.nbc.com/video/full-episodes
post #3260 of 3269 Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarti11 View Post
Is it possible to have a UHF AND a VHF antenna? And switch to VHF when you want to watch NBC? I live in a downtown Marietta Zip subdivision and can't put on the roof. I hear the Mohu's not worth it in our area and stick with directional (like the RCA referenced above). It's small and MIGHT be able to be attached to roof on BACK side of house where not in view.

What are people paying to have these attached as I'm not getting on my two-story roof?
You generally don't need separate UHF and VHF antennas near downtown Marietta. If you are able to somehow get one on your roof yourself, a RCA ANT751R would be plenty of antenna for an outdoor install. They have them at Lowe's on Dallas Hwy. Just make sure you have a fairly unobstructed view towards the SE. If you want to try mounting something in your attic, you will have to get something bigger than the ANT751R. You might want to take a look at Denny's HD Stacker antenna as several people on different boards have reported good results with this antenna mounted in their attics in the Marietta, Woodstock, and Acworth areas. By no means is the HD Stacker your only option for an attic mount, but it has more favorable dimensions than some of the larger antennas with similar results.

Lastly, I did have a guy come out several months ago and give me an estimate on a professional install. The cost would have been $370 for the antenna plus the installation on the roof. He mainly uses the Channel Master 4228HD antenna for roof installs. I'll post a link to him below.

http://www.atlantadigitaltv.com
post #3261 of 3269 Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Anyone else having dropouts on Channel 11 commercials? Not that it's an issue.
post #3262 of 3269 Old 08-03-2014, 05:30 PM

And yes, in answer to what's needed in west Cobb, I have a Channel Master preamp, not sure which one though.
post #3263 of 3269 Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
Is it possible to have a UHF AND a VHF antenna?
Sure, that's easy and is done all the time. Just use a UVSJ to combine the, no switching needed.
post #3264 of 3269 Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 AM

I see Escape is showing up on 34.4
Does WUVG have room for Grit?
post #3265 of 3269 Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 AM

Tivo OTA

Tivo is releasing today a limited edition "Tivo OTA" aimed at cord cutters. It is essentially the base model Tivo Roamio with the cable card feature removed. It is selling for $50 at certain Best Buy stores. Not a bad deal if you don't mind the monthly fee or the lifetime fee.
post #3266 of 3269 Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 AM

Channel 5

Anyone else see issues with channel 5.1 starting about a week ago, all others are fine?
post #3267 of 3269 Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
GPM

Liked: 14
Not here in Chamblee.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #3268 of 3269 Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Not here in Chamblee.

GM
Thanks for the reply, I'm over in Dunwoody so very close, must be an antenna issue was getting in the 80% now only getting 30%
post #3269 of 3269 Old 09-14-2014, 06:24 PM

WPXA-TV will transmit it's signal from channel 51 to channel 31
http://www.fcc.gov/document/ion-medi...ta-license-inc
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page