post #3271 of 3275 Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Which is the dominant TV station in Hotlanta?

WSB 2 (ABC, formerly NBC)
WAGA 5 (FOX O&O, formerly CBS)
WXIA 11 (NBC, formerly WQXI and ABC)
WGCL 46 (CBS, formerly independent WGNX)

or others?
8 GPB (sometimes I can't get channel 8 in one room)
17 Peachtree TV (Old TBS)
30 PBS
36 MYATL
69 CW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3275 Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post

Lastly, I did have a guy come out several months ago and give me an estimate on a professional install. The cost would have been $370 for the antenna plus the installation on the roof. He mainly uses the Channel Master 4228HD antenna for roof installs. I'll post a link to him below.

http://www.atlantadigitaltv.com
Was his name Ed?

Hey everyone, long time no see.

I wanted to get my OTA going again and it appears the DirecTV AM21 is my best bet. I can plug the OTA directly into the TV but the AM21 would put the channels in the guide, if I understand it correctly.

And unless there has been some incredible shift in the universe, the Channel Master antennas are all you need. I've rarely needed any amp or a dedicated WXIA antenna. I don't care where you live or who runs your neighborhood but the FCC says you can install a full blown BillBob array on a 14' pole.

Why bother though, put the thing in the attic.

FCC links here.. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/...nna/54582432/1
post #3273 of 3275 Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Was his name Ed?

Hey everyone, long time no see.

I wanted to get my OTA going again and it appears the DirecTV AM21 is my best bet. I can plug the OTA directly into the TV but the AM21 would put the channels in the guide, if I understand it correctly.

And unless there has been some incredible shift in the universe, the Channel Master antennas are all you need. I've rarely needed any amp or a dedicated WXIA antenna. I don't care where you live or who runs your neighborhood but the FCC says you can install a full blown BillBob array on a 14' pole.

Why bother though, put the thing in the attic.

FCC links here.. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/...nna/54582432/1
Yes, his name was Ed. He reinstalled my Directv dish earlier this year after a new roof was put on my house. He did a really nice job....much better than the Directv installer when I originally got it several years ago. By that, I assume Ed does nice work with antennas as well.

I too have been contemplating going with the AM21N for OTA. I upgraded to the HR44 Genie and C41 Genie Minis recently, and the thought of having OTA integrated is tempting (especially for all of the subchannels). I have read that there are issues with Directv's OTA guide database whereas many of the subchannels are not listed in the OTA guide. The AM21 and AM21N don't scan for OTA channels like a traditional OTA tuner, rather, they pull data from Directv's OTA database. If a subchannel is not listed in their database, then the Am21(N) will not tune the channels, even if it is being picked up by your antenna. I know here in Atlanta, some of the subs that are missing from the DTV OTA guide are (virtual): 5.2, 32.2-32.20, 34.2-34.4, 36.2, 36.3 and others that I don't care to list. There is a workaround where you can add guide data from other cities that have some of the missing subs on the same virtual or RF channel, but in my mind, that is a huge hassle to go through.

Now that I have discovered that many newer tvs will automatically display guide data from OTA channels (like my Samsung), I'm almost inclined to leave the antenna plugged directly into my tvs instead of going the AM21 route.
post #3274 of 3275 Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, Ed is a nice guy and he's a wiz with the antennas. He uses a fancy signal strength gizmo that is really helpful inside of I-285 when the signals come from many directions and in some cases bouncing off hills and buildings.

I worked exclusively in the northern suburbs so all I had to really do is aim south

I hung up my A/V career almost 4 years ago and in this business, that is a lifetime. I've not kept up with anything, having moved on to different things.

I got a new Sony XBR65X850B so I guess I can go straight to the display and backfeed the audio (to a soon to be purchased Denon AVR-X4100W) via HDMI or toslink if that didn't work.

The only reason I'm considering the OTA is because I'm working on the assumption that it will give me a better picture than what DirecTV passes along. Anyone have recent observations on this?

I'm excited because I haven't had my system plugged in for 3 years or more. Just the older HD set, no surround.
post #3275 of 3275 Old 09-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Yeah, Ed is a nice guy and he's a wiz with the antennas. He uses a fancy signal strength gizmo that is really helpful inside of I-285 when the signals come from many directions and in some cases bouncing off hills and buildings.

I worked exclusively in the northern suburbs so all I had to really do is aim south

I hung up my A/V career almost 4 years ago and in this business, that is a lifetime. I've not kept up with anything, having moved on to different things.

I got a new Sony XBR65X850B so I guess I can go straight to the display and backfeed the audio (to a soon to be purchased Denon AVR-X4100W) via HDMI or toslink if that didn't work.

The only reason I'm considering the OTA is because I'm working on the assumption that it will give me a better picture than what DirecTV passes along. Anyone have recent observations on this?

I'm excited because I haven't had my system plugged in for 3 years or more. Just the older HD set, no surround.
The OTA picture quality is better than DTV. I have had DTV for six years now, and until about six months ago, the picture quality of DTV was crystal clear...much better than Comcast. Six months ago, I noticed the DTV picture quality wasn't as sharp as it had been in the past, but it is still pretty darn good. I guess as they keep adding channels, they become more and more compressed. Having said that, no cable or satellite pq is as good as OTA. It is nice to have the OTA back up for the rare instance that I experience rain fade with DTV. Having all of the extra subchannels is nice too.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page